Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolf Pup TK

Jam-newbie, where to start?

Hi everyone! I've been playing Anji for a while, but I figured that maybe it's time to get a legit secondary (I play with Jam sometimes, but I play like a scrub with her). I like Jam a lot and would like to get better with her, but reading around here has me very confused. There are many terms I don't understand, like AA, burst cancel, asanagi... Aside from that, what should I work on first?I've been reading through the basics thread and can do some of the combos. I'm not really sure of general tactics though. I've tried searching for some videos of a few bigger names I've seen around here, but haven't been too successful. Any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks! :D

asanagi -> 22p/k/s moves well i suggest u get her basic wall combos down and then move on to her gameplay, she looks easy at first but when u get further on... she probably one of the hardest character to learn, as a lot of her combos can and will result in situational/improvise for max damage and even though she has priority and speed, some character just beat her out flat with more priority or range, so learn to rushing in and up your Blocking skill a lot

asanagi -> 22p/k/s moves

well i suggest u get her basic wall combos down and then move on to her gameplay, she looks easy at first but when u get further on... she probably one of the hardest character to learn, as a lot of her combos can and will result in situational/improvise for max damage and even though she has priority and speed, some character just beat her out flat with more priority or range, so learn to rushing in and up your Blocking skill a lot

Hi Wolf Pup TK,

I'm going to piggyback on excelence and recommend that you go through the threads and read everything. When you get towards the more recent post, you will have gained a lot of insight on how Jam is played and what areas you should work on. When you have mastered the basics, I believe my thread can give you some ideas on playstyles. If you have a question on strats etc, post it there. I've been playing more of BB recently.

@excelence: I noticed Noel on your signature. I also play Noel. Wonder if Jam players lean towards Noel. lol.

I suggest you learn basic ground gatlings first then learn jam basic loops. I learned to play Jam that way. I also decided to make her my main and dump millia.

Well I'll Tell You How I Started Off Since I main Jam. 1. I did start Learning Her bnb. Main one is k / s / hs / 6hs / link it with 6p/ then repeat 1 more time the bnb. Low dust then charge card is my favorite - doesn't always work lol. 2. In the beginning that whats my means of Damage so I'd learn to mix it up with High and Low. I they were blocking I would either break the combo then walk up grab (being JaM, No one wants to Get hit by you) or i'd do 5d and do a simple dust combo. 3.after that i worked on Cross up. I like using 236p. but that's preference. Ic many people using IAD HS to get behind them then flame kick or something. 4. Wake-up games. Beginning i used 5d and 5k. 5. The Godly Wall Loop. (look it up) weird on Girls/brid, and ky/sol 6. All mighty Parry. 7. Experience 8. Don't really need to supermove with her or use her false cancels. best cancel is her grab into the wall loop. P.S. This is what I started off with

Just something I was able to confirm right now. For people who have a hard time TK-ryuujining (I have seen this question popping up here way too many times!), do you play on a HD TV? I figured that it's almost impossible to do it on certain HDTVs due to input lag! I have 2 HDTVs, one a nice Hitachi that I have tested in the shop before buying it. The other one is a cheap IO-data 32 LCD TV. I just can't TK-ryuujin on the cheap one! it's just not working... I need to Jump-install on the 2nd Standing S to connect the ryuujin to the far Slash. but 2369+K is just not connecting! I was always surprised as I could tk ryuujin constantly when playing in the arcades.. and I just couldn't do it at home. I thought it was a problem with my stick or the PS2 version. but it's lag on HDTVs! It works 100% of the time when I play on the Hitachi (which has a very fast scaler and thus, very low input lag).

If you're new and you wanna learn to TK-Ryuujin, start with the 8236+K input first. Later on you can do it however you want, but at the point where you are trying to learn to much stuff, you don't wanna be worring about jump installs, that imput takes it off the equation.

well I'm probly not as good as some of these guy's but here's what I think - If you havn't already make a habit out of instant air dashing I find that it helps to extend jams maneuverability alot -effective use of her slide helps alot I find it has alot of uses when and opponent is coming at you I have more but I can't remember it now. I'll post it later

uhhhhh.

she's essentially the Chun-Li of GG right?

then kick all day baby!

nah, really though.

she's got that launcher jS, gotta learn set ups for that.

her Dustx2 kick that launches, gotta figure out set ups for that.

she has a sorta nice type of reverse beat(Melty reference) feel to her combos...work on that.

just play her like u would chun li.

thats all.

Uhh...I'm a Jam scrub and I know that's bullshit. Chun and Jam play nothing alike, ignoring the fact that Chun's a charge character...from a totally different game...with a totally different set of specials...and yeah they're nothing alike.

Things that I learned though were spacing with her 2P and 2S, setups for the 6H loop, and mixups and pressure. I really want to focus on her IAD stuff though, as that's a big part of her oki and mixup.

Uhh...I'm a Jam scrub and I know that's bullshit. Chun and Jam play nothing alike, ignoring the fact that Chun's a charge character...from a totally different game...with a totally different set of specials...and yeah they're nothing alike.

Things that I learned though were spacing with her 2P and 2S, setups for the 6H loop, and mixups and pressure. I really want to focus on her IAD stuff though, as that's a big part of her oki and mixup.

well, what i mean by that she's like Chun Li is that alot of her specials involve the K button, she excels in the air, and that her "ultras" have low start ups. Jam and Millia are sort of spin offs of Chun Li. at least, compared to the rest of the cast.

i've read here people comparing her to Ryu of all characters! go figure that one out. so, i think the comparison to Chun Li is way more accurate.

just like i would say sol+ky are homages to ryu+ken.

thats all.