Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skunkee

FRC Problems

Hi all. I'm a Potemkin player in GGXXAC (not Plus unfortunately. Maybe some day in the future.) I've seen some sick combo videos from FAB and I have two problems, one involving FRC. The main problem I have is comboing after landing a Potemkin Buster. I see people follow up a FRC'd PB with 2S, 2H, Heat Knuckle (sometimes taking out the 2H for characters that don't get hit by it). How ridiculous does your timing have to be to pull that off? Problem 2: Chaining Aerial Potemkin Buster into combos/air punishment. My friend plays Venom and loves to spam his Pink Ball overdrive. I can usually jump over it and hit him as he's trying to air punish me downward into it. Can I go about landing an APB by doing P, K, APB if I catch him offguard? Any help is appreciated. -Skunkee

Hi all. I'm a Potemkin player in GGXXAC (not Plus unfortunately. Maybe some day in the future.)

I've seen some sick combo videos from FAB and I have two problems, one involving FRC. The main problem I have is comboing after landing a Potemkin Buster. I see people follow up a FRC'd PB with 2S, 2H, Heat Knuckle (sometimes taking out the 2H for characters that don't get hit by it). How ridiculous does your timing have to be to pull that off?

Problem 2: Chaining Aerial Potemkin Buster into combos/air punishment. My friend plays Venom and loves to spam his Pink Ball overdrive. I can usually jump over it and hit him as he's trying to air punish me downward into it. Can I go about landing an APB by doing P, K, APB if I catch him offguard?

Any help is appreciated.

-Skunkee

!. Just gotta practice bro

2.you can only chain from normals to APB from normal jump, unless you jump install something.

So j.p>jk>360 D. The 360 motion sj cancels for you quickly.

!. Just gotta practice bro

2.you can only chain from normals to APB from normal jump, unless you jump install something.

So j.p>jk>360 D. The 360 motion sj cancels for you quickly.

I'll have to try the 360 D motion when I get home.

As far as the FRC after a Potemkin Buster is concerned, it seems like no matter how fast I do 2S afterward that the opponent is already lying on the ground. Here's my usual process of FRCing it:

I do a lead in pressure combo and land a PB.

As soon as it lands, I hold 2.

Providing I get the FRC off, I hit S as fast as I can while crouched.

Opponent is on ground as S goes off and I :arg::vbang:

Any advice as to what I'm doing wrong?

are you using stick or pad? its really just a matter of doing it as quick as possible but its slightly different depending on what you're using. If you're using pad and you have an RC mapped to a shoulder button or something, you need to make sure you let go of that before you do the 2S, just be sure to tap the frc button and not hold it down before you do your slash. if you're playing on stick I feel its a little easier, as you just do KSH with your top 3 fingers and immediately attempt to let go and push slash as fast as you can, its just a double tap, but the first tap you're pushing 3 buttons, the second tap is just one the frc timing is kinda wierd as late as it is, so you really kinda have to know it. you can't be mashing and you'll miss it often if you're just kind of "hoping" to hit the right timing. Also, the timing is stricter on certain characters. You could try doing it on say May, to get closer to the best timing, then switch to like Ky when you wanna tighten it up.

Don't know if it's requiered absolutly, but on some char you can do FRC > 5S > 2S > heat. Seems to me 5S go faster than 2S, so on chars that you can land it, it's easier. (for me)

are you using stick or pad? its really just a matter of doing it as quick as possible but its slightly different depending on what you're using. If you're using pad and you have an RC mapped to a shoulder button or something, you need to make sure you let go of that before you do the 2S, just be sure to tap the frc button and not hold it down before you do your slash.

if you're playing on stick I feel its a little easier, as you just do KSH with your top 3 fingers and immediately attempt to let go and push slash as fast as you can, its just a double tap, but the first tap you're pushing 3 buttons, the second tap is just one

the frc timing is kinda wierd as late as it is, so you really kinda have to know it. you can't be mashing and you'll miss it often if you're just kind of "hoping" to hit the right timing. Also, the timing is stricter on certain characters. You could try doing it on say May, to get closer to the best timing, then switch to like Ky when you wanna tighten it up.

I'm using a pad, and I think you might have hit the nail on the head with the shoulder button thing. I do have an arcade stick, but I'm terrible with it. It's the Pelican model for the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube (has connectors to all 3.) The stick is durable, but my hands just don't want to cooperate with the button layout, and I have trouble using the joystick that's on it. As far as arcade sticks go, the only one I've been comfortable with is the one on the Tekken 5 machine in my local arcade. I like the stick and buttons on it.

I do need some practice with my FRC timing too. I can't nail it every time just yet.

Don't know if it's requiered absolutly, but on some char you can do FRC > 5S > 2S > heat.

Seems to me 5S go faster than 2S, so on chars that you can land it, it's easier. (for me)

What characters can you land it on?

What characters can you land it on?

Dizzy, Ino, Jam, Johnny, Bridget, Ky, Slayer, Anji, Millia, ABA, Baiken, Potemkin, and Faust.

But with some of the character listed, you are better off doing 5S 2HS into Heat. Good luck!

So I was playing around yesterday when I got home from work with the PB FRC. I took the advice of testing it against Ky over and over to tighten up my timing, and I'm starting to get the hang of it! I can't do it 100% of the time, but if I have the tension I can FRC the Pot Buster about 50% of the time now. Combo-ing off of it isn't foolproof, but the combos I can pull off when things go right are pretty dangerous. So far, the best combo I've done out of a PB FRC (in training mode, haven't tested in actual play yet) is this: Do a mixup that allows you to PB > FRC > 2S > Heat Knuckle > RC > 6HS > cancel to Heat Knuckle + Extend. Huge damage if the opponent is close enough to the corner. When I'm mid screen, I just end the first Heat Knuckle with an extend. I heard you don't really want to do the extend every time though in AC due to Slidehead's power on oki. Thanks for the advice guys, the FRC problem is on its way to being solved for me! As for APB, I'm still playing around with that. I need to have a friend come over and jump into me so I can practice air juggle mixups (for instance, if I land a ©S when the opponent is in the air state, cancel into an APB or something.) So far all I can do it from is 5D, j. P, jc. K, APB; and that's a bit of a rarity. Practice is honing my technique though.

So I was playing around yesterday when I got home from work with the PB FRC.

I took the advice of testing it against Ky over and over to tighten up my timing, and I'm starting to get the hang of it! I can't do it 100% of the time, but if I have the tension I can FRC the Pot Buster about 50% of the time now. Combo-ing off of it isn't foolproof, but the combos I can pull off when things go right are pretty dangerous.

So far, the best combo I've done out of a PB FRC (in training mode, haven't tested in actual play yet) is this:

Do a mixup that allows you to PB > FRC > 2S > Heat Knuckle > RC > 6HS > cancel to Heat Knuckle + Extend.

Huge damage if the opponent is close enough to the corner. When I'm mid screen, I just end the first Heat Knuckle with an extend. I heard you don't really want to do the extend every time though in AC due to Slidehead's power on oki.

Thanks for the advice guys, the FRC problem is on its way to being solved for me!

As for APB, I'm still playing around with that. I need to have a friend come over and jump into me so I can practice air juggle mixups (for instance, if I land a ©S when the opponent is in the air state, cancel into an APB or something.) So far all I can do it from is 5D, j. P, jc. K, APB; and that's a bit of a rarity. Practice is honing my technique though.

Never end with heat extend cept in the corner ,or if its gonna kill them or almost kill them.

If you end in the corner your post tech game better be solid, or they're gone also.

On ky do pb>frc>2s>2hs>Heat or if thats too hard do Pb>frc>f.s>2s>heat. Those are ya best combos for 25% tension.

after buster

f.s>2s>heat works on all the girls>ky.slayer,anji,pot, lolz can't remember who else helpz.

2s>heat works on everyone

2s AA to apb isnt gonna work bro

If you land a dust , impossible dust-bo's are solid options.

Never end with heat extend cept in the corner ,or if its gonna kill them or almost kill them.

If you end in the corner your post tech game better be solid, or they're gone also.

On ky do pb>frc>2s>2hs>Heat or if thats too hard do Pb>frc>f.s>2s>heat. Those are ya best combos for 25% tension.

after buster

f.s>2s>heat works on all the girls>ky.slayer,anji,pot, lolz can't remember who else helpz.

2s>heat works on everyone

2s AA to apb isnt gonna work bro

If you land a dust , impossible dust-bo's are solid options.

What do you mean by impossible dust-bo? Impossible dust is where you double the amount of time your opponent spends in the air by jump attacking at the last possible frame, right?

Also, tested out my Potemkin in live play yesterday. Was fighting my friends venom and was doing remarkably well compared to how I usually do (I used to win a lot, but he would squeeze in victories every 5 or 6 fights. Last night I had a win streak against him of like 15.) The PB FRC combos really help my damage output. I think after taking that much damage my friend plays a bit sloppy due to the fear of messing up and taking another half life combo. I even pulled off a backdash > PB on him when he did a slash or HS with venom (whichever is the one where venom does a sort of overhead swing with his pool stick. I see it used as an opening hit a lot.)

I think this topic has really helped me step up my game a bit. :psyduck: