Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shoto

AC: Lockdown and Pressure

So I have a nice pressure string: 5K/2K, c.S, 5H, and then cancel into one of the following: Rensen (On hit), 2D (Low), 6H (High), Rashou (Throw), S Raeisageki (Crossup). What can I do to make this string better? Are there any other gimmicky options I should use? I tend to play Axl in a "Bag 'o' Tricks" style, always trying to pull out lots of unexpected gimmicks. How should I maintain longer pressure than a single blockstring? It seems that I do meaty 5K/2K, do an option from the following, and then I'm done. I need longer pressure strings with more than just the one mixup at the end. Should I try JCing the c.S and doing Bomber for frame advantage/overhead? Do I need rensen FRC to maintain pressure?

So I have a nice pressure string: 5K/2K, c.S, 5H,

Good string, pretty standard. It's easier to connect with all options if you omit the 5H when you're not close enough to connect with the sweep after the pushback. You should consider using 3P to start strings as well.

and then cancel into one of the following: Rensen (On hit),

Use this on block as well, to continue pressure.

2D (Low), 6H (High),

6H after 5H is risky, just remember that.

Rashou (Throw),

Nitpicky, I know, but don't consider this a throw, as Axl does have actual tickthrow options and this isn't so much that as a way to press the opponent into making a mistake.

S Raeisageki (Crossup). What can I do to make this string better? Are there any other gimmicky options I should use? I tend to play Axl in a "Bag 'o' Tricks" style, always trying to pull out lots of unexpected gimmicks. How should I maintain longer pressure than a single blockstring? It seems that I do meaty 5K/2K, do an option from the following, and then I'm done. I need longer pressure strings with more than just the one mixup at the end. Should I try JCing the c.S and doing Bomber for frame advantage/overhead? Do I need rensen FRC to maintain pressure?

Rensen FRC is necessary to maintain pressure for the most part, yes. Consider doing 6H as a meaty as well, as it gives enough frame advantage on perfect meaty to give you a link into 5K (I think it technically links into 2K, too, but it's a stricter (is it 1 frame?) link and only serves to mix up people if they don't expect a low (which they should if they're blocking the 6H, since there's nothing fast and overhead you can do afterwards. You can always throw in some real tick-throws as well. Running 2K into throw is a great tick-throw, as is most anything into benten (FRC) blocked, or IAD P (land) throw. Remember that most everything in your string (with the exception of 6H) is SCable. If you want to TK bomber somewhere, I'd suggest either going for run up 6P-->TKB after a blocked Rensen FRC, or just doing an IAD string into it. On that note, IADing after a rensen FRC can be a good way to start a different mixup game, which goes j.P-->(More air moves-->Bomber/Land and 2K/6H/c.S)/(Land and throw/2K/6H/c.S.). You can also get tricky and start FRCing the raeisageki for a throw, or JIing it and FRCing it for continued pressure and/or crossup/doublejump mixup. There's a lot you can do, but most of it involves spending meter.

IADing after a rensen FRC can be a good way to start a different mixup game, which goes j.P-->

That doesn't work against those that stay blocking low after the FRC. :gonk:

Damn, this means I'll have to learn Rensen FRC. I just play too many characters, and I don't want to learn that, Benten FRC, Gunflame FRC, AND EXE Beast FRC. Not to mention HCL FRC as I-No. I guess that I'll have to stop playing some characters, and Axl will not be the first to go. When I get my copy of AC back from a friend I'll get cracking on those two FRCs. Benten FRC has always interested me a lot because it's (Kinda) a Shoryuken and if I spend 25% it's not only safe, I can pressure from it. It'll be a much less costly option than reversal 2363214H. It seems that, like many characters, Axl can reset pressure for 25%, which seems worth it to me. I'm just a little annoyed that he doesn't have longer blockstrings with multiple lows/overheads.

Damn, this means I'll have to learn Rensen FRC. I just play too many characters, and I don't want to learn that, Benten FRC, Gunflame FRC, AND EXE Beast FRC. Not to mention HCL FRC as I-No. I guess that I'll have to stop playing some characters, and Axl will not be the first to go. When I get my copy of AC back from a friend I'll get cracking on those two FRCs. Benten FRC has always interested me a lot because it's (Kinda) a Shoryuken and if I spend 25% it's not only safe, I can pressure from it. It'll be a much less costly option than reversal 2363214H. It seems that, like many characters, Axl can reset pressure for 25%, which seems worth it to me. I'm just a little annoyed that he doesn't have longer blockstrings with multiple lows/overheads.

If you want my opinion, I think playing multiple characters before mastering one is a good way to make sure you never get any good.

But who knows, maybe you'll prove me wrong.:yaaay: But uh... Benten FRC you'll never have the option of both being safe and pressuring, because of how the FRC is positioned compared to the active frames. You have to time it differently based on whether it connects, meaning that if you're trying to beat something with it and are not sure if you'll hit, you have to choose between FRCing it to be safe on whiff (Which will RC it if you hit) or FRCing it to continue pressure/combo after connecting (Which doesn't allow you to FRC if you miss)

Agree with DW benten Frc is giving me a pain in the ass(sorry for the expresion) is trying to learn two Frc's at the same time, but I tell you this, the whiffed Frc is more easy, but a more less usable.

Agree with DW benten Frc is giving me a pain in the ass(sorry for the expresion) is trying to learn two Frc's at the same time, but I tell you this, the whiffed Frc is more easy, but a more less usable.

Well. Honestly I'd rather have that than the followup combo, if I had to choose one. I usually do the FRC as though it will whiff if I ever try it as a reversal, since that's the choice between hitting and not following up (Or just wasting 25% extra meter by getting the RC) and whiffing and getting punished.

I meant safe on block, but I guess that's an important concern, as whiffing Benten is asking for death.

Ah. Yeah, Benten FRC is not only safe on block, but a not-bad tick-throw.

Ah. Yeah, Benten FRC is not only safe on block, but a not-bad tick-throw.

Hell YEAH!!

You can do strings like:

5K > S© > HS > Benten Frc > Throw.

2P > Benten Frc > Throw.

HS > 2D > Benten Frc > Throw.

Whiffed 5K > Run a Bit > Benten Frc > Throw/Combo on hit (Shuut Version).

Or try any other thing you want.

Hell YEAH!!

You can do strings like:

2P > Benten Frc > Throw.

Meaty 6H, 5K --> Special is always funny. Especially Rashousen, as that seems to catch a lot more people than it really should.

Why don't more people use 3p, 2HS FRC in pressure?

The double-low isn't that hard to block, it's inferior in blockstun to Rensen FRC stuff, etc.

That being said, I'll use it occasionally, just because it's a good way to mix in the occasional dust/6H instead of FRCing, and may build SLIGHTLY more guardbar...

It's not bad, it's just sub-optimal.

I costs meter, has no good range (if FRCed) and doesn’t get you too good frame advantage if blocked (not to mention the pushback is quite high). That doesn’t mean you can’t use it, just that there are usually better options available and I don't see how it could work as some sort of "suprise tactic" as for that it's just to straight forward.

So... after some testing and reading the frame data...

I've concluded that Rensen FRC has an SD of +33 on standard guard.

Yeah.

Ummm...neat? :I: So, we've got about a half-second to continue pressure after the FRC. Okay.

Running up after rense FRC is a classic way to keep pressure up, but it has a few downsides: - You can't really hit the guard meter while mixing in low starters such as 2K and 3P since they deny you the 5H option (after 2K-S©-HS Rensen FRC won't hit if any hit was FDed or you are not right next to your opponent and canceling 3P into 5H will take away the combo from you most of the time). - FD block screws you up, forcing to end pressure immidiately with either crossup or unblockable (2H is possible, but decent players use low block by default). - Most of the time mixing in overheads is both unsafe and disadventageous for pressure (TK Bomber is safe only if you are right next to your opponent and he doesn't use DP, 6H needs to be RCed to keep pressure up). On the other hand, IAD pressure denies you one of the most efficient tick throw setups (running 2K) and depends very much on the block pattern (which is really a problem of adaptation and therefore can be neglected). As for FD blocking - you can airdash in a way that only returning part of vacuum moves will hit, making FD less useful. Oh yeah, and it is scary as hell for unprepared players and looks much cooler. ;)

Hell YEAH!!

You can do strings like:

2P > Benten Frc > Throw.

u mean, if the Benten S misses, right, if so i do that every now and then after a 5H, most when the opponent FDs. Like for a surprise rush. Hes waiting for the rensen frc after the 5H, so instead wiffed Benten S frc,dash, and mix it up again. I dont try it after the 2D, as u dont has the same block stun as the 5H. On 2D blocked to Rensen, depending on distance u can hit Axl before the rensen hits, at least i do punish that with super or whatever

On the other hand, IAD pressure denies you one of the most efficient tick throw setups (running 2K) and depends very much on the block pattern (which is really a problem of adaptation and therefore can be neglected). As for FD blocking - you can airdash in a way that only returning part of vacuum moves will hit, making FD less useful. Oh yeah, and it is scary as hell for unprepared players and looks much cooler. ;)

I preffer that,IAD after a rensen frc. if hit u can combo j.H or j.D etc. if blocked u can keep the block string with j.H or mix it up, with empty IAD to throw, 2k, etc. And its indeed scary, Sentinel or Magneto scary:keke:

Oh and about the TK bomber input i use its 63293 or 41291 if im on 2nd player side, if it helps dont know if u already have them.

u mean, if the Benten S misses, right, if so i do that every now and then after a 5H, most when the opponent FDs. Like for a surprise rush. Hes waiting for the rensen frc after the 5H, so instead wiffed Benten S frc,dash, and mix it up again. I dont try it after the 2D, as u dont has the same block stun as the 5H. On 2D blocked to Rensen, depending on distance u can hit Axl before the rensen hits, at least i do punish that with super or whatever

I think he means hitting with the benten, as it's not a terrible tickthrow setup. Also, unless they have godly reversal timing, something invincible on F1, and predict the sweep, you don't have a whole lot to worry about there.

I preffer that,IAD after a rensen frc. if hit u can combo j.H or j.D etc. if blocked u can keep the block string with j.H or mix it up, with empty IAD to throw, 2k, etc. And its indeed scary, Sentinel or Magneto scary:keke:

Oh and about the TK bomber input i use its 63293 or 41291 if im on 2nd player side, if it helps dont know if u already have them.

Heh. You may be overestimating it a bit to say sentinel-magneto scary. Empty IAD is SUPER risky as they definitely recover way before the throw, but I do it occasionally. Just watch out. Anyway, IAD after rensen FRC is better against tall characters, but don't underestimate just running! Getting guardbar is easier on the ground, and real blockstrings are character-universal on the ground.

I think he means hitting with the benten, as it's not a terrible tickthrow setup. Also, unless they have godly reversal timing, something invincible on F1, and predict the sweep, you don't have a whole lot to worry about there.

Well,i just wait for the 2d, and react cause its the only space i have to stop his rush. So if we play someday dont do that, hehehe. About the benten s frc on hit, why not use the rensen instead?

Heh. You may be overestimating it a bit to say sentinel-magneto scary. Empty IAD is SUPER risky as they definitely recover way before the throw, but I do it occasionally. Just watch out. Anyway, IAD after rensen FRC is better against tall characters, but don't underestimate just running! Getting guardbar is easier on the ground, and real blockstrings are character-universal on the ground.

yeah, im just trying hard to make u laugh with that comment.I Know its risky but its a mix up, they are risky. sometime i do something right before touching the ground. But i just use it if the opponent abuses FD, well thats a gaining too, hes wasting bar :keke:

I wasn't going to make a post about just one move, but this move is so damn good and gets no love. Learning how to use 5h is massively important if you plan to play aggressively. Yea, it is slow. That's part of why it's so good. It has a start-up of 16-frames and builds 20 guard on block. 5h can chain into rensen frc to continue pressure, 2d for a low, 6h for a high, raei s for a crossup, and rouhousen for an unblockable. 3p > 5h is a frame-trap that builds ~28 guard. 5k > c.s > 5h, as a blockstring, builds ~24 guard. It only takes 65 guard build to put them into the "danger zone" where their gauge blinks and any hit is a CH. They also take mad damage when their guard is high. 6h CH gives you a ~60% rensen combo. CH raei s gives you a ~70% air combo. Throw gives you a 20-50% combo. Note that all of these moves are mixups, as well. Also note that even Potemkin takes 60+% damage from those combos. If you're going to pressure with Axl, you're going to need tension to do it. A few things you'll need to know... Instant blocking is important, helps you keep your tension gauge as full as possible. Also, don't turtle, walk forward as much as possible, also keeps your tension gauge filling quickly. If the enemy is running away from you, don't poke them until they approach you, just keep walking forward and IBing their long range attacks/fireballs; with them running, you'll be gaining mad tension, and when they have no more room to run they'll be forced to get close to you again (when they realize that them running away is helping you more than them, they will stop, and then they'll try to pressure you... and Axl is pretty amazing at stopping their attempts at pressuring).

I would be careful trying 3P-5H against anyone with a half-decent reversal. It's a bit too obvious to be a real frametrap unless there really is nothing they can do in the (rather large) gap between the two moves. I've taken to using 5H as kind of a ghetto 6P (for a lot more damage output on CH), due to the upper-body invincibility, and would rather use it for that or real (or almost real) blockstrings than trying to frametrap with it.

I've used the frame-trap in ~75 matches or so, and it's only been reversaled once. I've had many times where the enemy tries a reversal but the 5h hits them and counters their move. Basically what happens is that the enemy just accepts it as a blockstring and FDs a lot; less tension for them. :)