Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thekiyote

Core Skills That Every Great Player Has Mastered

What skills do you think that every great player of Guilty Gear has mastered?  There are good players, and there are great players, these would be the skills that separate the two groups

A lot of that gap between good and great is in consistency and composure. There are a lot of good players that would very well be able to stand amongst the greats if they didn't crack under pressure and make careless mistakes.

Besides that, I think having a good sense of timing is critical at the highest levels of play, and knowing the spacing of your opponent's character counts for a lot as well. Not falling into comfortable sets of tactics helps make you less predictable, and will also go a long way in winning consistently against good players.

I think it was Justin Wong(?) who said the one consistent feature he observed in every successful FG player was their ability to remain calm under pressure and make intelligent decisions in the middle of a heated match.  Makes a lot of sense when you think about it; fighters are all about precision.  No matter what skills you've acquired over the course of playing a game, getting frustrated or panicky and dropping inputs can nullify months or even years of practice.

The ability to remain completely calm while playing in front of a large crowd of people, all of whom are cheering for you - or worse, cheering for your opponent - is pretty terrifying. I'd like to believe I'm pretty good at most anime fighters, but I break down completely when participating in online tourneys, especially if my match is being streamed. I can't even imagine how rough it must be for EVO contenders and the like.

I don't know if "focus" or "the ability to focus" is really a FG-specific skill but yes, that's probably the most important. You need to have the ability to focus. Focus on your practice, focus on your match and tune out all the noise and comments, focus on your performance so that you can decipher what you need to adjust and in which way, so you can notice the real reasons for why something is happening and not the ones your emotions may tell you are real in a heated moment.

Lots of players have this thing they refer to as "the zone" where they play really well for a while. Great players are able to summon or enter the zone at will through their capacity to focus. "The zone" is being super duper focused in a match and noticing everything as though it's happening in slow motion and adapting perfectly.

Think of it as going super saiyan. You need to be able to do it at-will, not only when someone is killing Krillin.

Air throws yes.

Air throws are actually pretty difficult to do.

Back dash

Being able to land your intended combo 100% of the time, no questions asked.

Taking advantage of being able to regain control of a fight every time, no questions asked.

Those are what I can think of

Just my 2 cents about the separation from good to great. Skills the great players have are..

1. Match Up knowledge - they know what moves are punishable and not punishable.

2. Knowledge - They know every combo your likely to do and how to get out of it.

3. Time - They put it as much time as possible into the game.

4. Execution - Their combo's are at a 90+% execution rate.

5. Practice. - They only practice with people of the same skill or higher.

6. Click - Kinda goes back to number 5. There is a click in every FG where they can practice with amazingly skilled players all the time.

7. Defense - They actually block and are good at blocking.

The biggest thing they have is a FGC where they live. Living in a city where the community is strong is a huge plus. A lot of places do not have this and so most of time if you want to practice it's online. Online play regardless of the connection speeds will have lag and so moves that would be punishable are now not, escape tools no longer work, and in come cases unsafe strings are no completely safe..ie online Chip, Millia and several others. 

Just my 2 cents about the separation from good to great. Skills the great players have are..

1. Match Up knowledge - they know what moves are punishable and not punishable.

2. Knowledge - They know every combo your likely to do and how to get out of it.

3. Time - They put it as much time as possible into the game.

4. Execution - Their combo's are at a 90+% execution rate.

5. Practice. - They only practice with people of the same skill or higher.

6. Click - Kinda goes back to number 5. There is a click in every FG where they can practice with amazingly skilled players all the time.

7. Defense - They actually block and are good at blocking.

The biggest thing they have is a FGC where they live. Living in a city where the community is strong is a huge plus. A lot of places do not have this and so most of time if you want to practice it's online. Online play regardless of the connection speeds will have lag and so moves that would be punishable are now not, escape tools no longer work, and in come cases unsafe strings are no completely safe..ie online Chip, Millia and several others. 

+1

I agree with all of this. I'd like to add in one thing- Talent.

The best players are inherently talented at the game and are born with a natural talent or 'feel' for the game that no matter how much a non-talented player practices, he can never attain that quality.

That's why you can see guys just pick up the controller and are automatically good.

+1

I agree with all of this. I'd like to add in one thing- Talent.

The best players are inherently talented at the game and are born with a natural talent or 'feel' for the game that no matter how much a non-talented player practices, he can never attain that quality.

That's why you can see guys just pick up the controller and are automatically good.

Yeah, thanks to thousands of years of evolution, it's just in their genetics to be better at making cartoon people do punches and kicks on a TV.

Talent is overrated. Having a loving interrest in fighters allowing you to live and breathe fighters for many hours a day goes a longer way. Every player I've met who seemed talented have one thing in common; they've put a lot of time into stuff that makes them strong in fighters. Talent == Readiness to waste time on something.

Most likely those guys are experienced with things in their past that attuned their brains to similar thinking.

As the late Bob Ross, once said, talent is merely applied interest. Some of the best FG players are old men who have just played way more and are far more experienced.

"Talent is merely applied interest" thats deep.

I think that the ability to adapt quickly along with being unpredictable over the coarse of many matches are two assets that are spotted in high level play especially in sets.

Also...their anime, not cartoons (My friend constantly teases me for playing a "cartoon game",guess some just cant appreciate God's gift".)

I'll have to disagree.

I've played college level d1 athletics and am also a pretty avid gamer.

Talent is a real thing.

A player like Dogura can pick up this game and do things out of instinct that other players just can't. Likewise why some players can pick up a new version of GG and automatically be ok at it. Others need to spend a lot of time in practice just to learn the engine, etc. Some players can instinctively tell right away how to adapt to the engine.

Talent also explains why two players can spend the same amount of time in practice and one comes out wayyy better than the other.

Talent is all the little subtleties in a match that you can't teach or learn. Could be psychological, or just have to do with 'knowing' what to do in a split second's time. Sports and FGs aren't that different.

The last three days I've only gotten five hours of sleep due to the time change. And due to that I haven't been able to kick it in gear to practice UNIEL, which in turn means I've scrapped three days I could have gotten better.

Just thought I'd add something nobody else has said. Be healthy man. That can go along way. Get a good stretch in here or there, stay hydrated, get ample sleep, and don't overeat. Under those conditions I've made some of my best progress in games.

And to the talent argument, I don't think you're using the correct word. Talent is a generalization. There are people born to have huge builds, or born to do great math(and some destined to suck at it), and people who are adept at thinking on their feat. I think that's called luck.

Athletes, engineers, politicians. Yes, there are some who made it there with hard work, but I doubt that goes for all of them. The world isn't fair, some of those people are just plain good. And they get a positive handicap to some degree.

Just look at the people who apply themselves and find out frame data and math for health modifiers and shit, I could never do that. But we all have some degree of it, just some more than others and that's why we have competition in the first place. If it was so clearcut who was and wasn't talented then there'd be a lot less of us, but that's what's so great about it...I think?

So, finding out frame data etc is something anyone can do. But a talented player can apply that skill much more effectively than a non-talented player, get it?

Talent is all the things you can't teach.

Again, why some people can pick up a new engine and learn it right away.

Luck is when something you can't control happens in your favor, or when something unecpected happens that gives you the edge. Ie getting faust's meteors at the perfect time when getting another item would've lost you the match. That's luck.

experience is usually the reason someone can pick up a new engine and learn it right away.  generally the more fighting games you've played to a decent level, the more you can pick up at a faster rate.  it's all about patterns and prediction.

experience is usually the reason someone can pick up a new engine and learn it right away.  generally the more fighting games you've played to a decent level, the more you can pick up at a faster rate.  it's all about patterns and prediction.

So, talent is deciding in a split second that the unorthodox/unordinary decision is actually the one that will win you the game in that instance.

I would say picking up a new engine has to do with both experience as well as talent.

i don't really believe in talent.  I think people that are "born with it" just have a better perspective out of the gate.  I believe that nothing is unteachable.

i don't really believe in talent.  I think people that are "born with it" just have a better perspective out of the gate.  I believe that nothing is unteachable.

That's a fair opinion.

Of course I disagree. As you can see from my posts

Things like reflexes you can't teach. Or feel, picking up the controller and just automatically feeling it more as an 'extension of yourself' as someone else. There would be different degrees to which this is true for each person. This is an intangible thing and is all part of the talent aspect. This is just how I see it.

-Guilty

So, finding out frame data etc is something anyone can do. But a talented player can apply that skill much more effectively than a non-talented player, get it?

Again, why some people can pick up a new engine and learn it right away.

Luck is when something you can't control happens in your favor, or when something unecpected happens that gives you the edge. Ie getting faust's meteors at the perfect time when getting another item would've lost you the match. That's luck.

EDIT: Okay never mind, apparently I don't know shit about frame data so exclude that part. The health multiplier you obviously get though, right? I mean, my mind literally goes blank after a certain point. lol

You mean a high degree of talent, which requires luck to get. In my opinion it takes talent to even play a fighting game. So no I don't get it, I guess you're trying to say that if you aren't highly talented you aren't talented at all, which isn't true.

reflexes are maximized by knowledge.  show me a video of somebody with incredible reflexes and I will show you how they expected it or buffered.

You mean a high degree of talent, which requires luck to get.

Of course lol. Not everyone's born the same. That's why some players are dramatically better than others that still play the same amount of time.

Of I could say, no matter what, why you will never place in Evo top 8. lol