Sign in to follow this  
Spirit Juice

Grand Viper in Accent Core FAQ

I figured the same old question would come up, that being "omg how u do 8 hits with ground vipah", as well as a new question: How do I do a clean hit with Accent Core Grand Viper, so I made this thread to answer any and all questions. :kitty:

How do I do an 8 hit Grand Viper?

Age old question that never seems to go away. After performing Grand Viper, wiggle the stick back and forward in rapid succession while tapping two (or more, but be careful of Roman Cancel) buttons.

Is GV safe on block?

No. You will die. You can't get IK'd anymore like the old versions, nor can they burst out of it for free and punish you, but if they block it you're going to get punished.

How do I get a clean hit?

Originally, information (to my knowledge, not sure if it was ever elaborated on) said that you just mash for the eight hits and the last one will score a clean hit. However, after testing several times on different characters, THIS IS NOT ALWAYS THE CASE. Mashing like you're playing MvC2 will not net you a clean hit all the time.

If you do Grand Viper by itself (meaning you don't combo into it at all), mashing like crazy should get you a clean hit.

If you combo into GV (usually from 2K-2H), you have to have a little more finess in your mashing. If you mash too little, you won't get the full eight hits. If you mash too much, Sol will only softly punch them in the crotch. From what I could tell, if you stop your mash just after the 7th hit, the clean hit should connect in most cases.

Keep in mind these are only observations after testing, I could be wrong. Most of the time after comboing GV from 2K-2H, mashing like mad did not work... though it did on rare occasions. However, if I stopped mashing just between the 7th and 8th hit, I would get a clean hit 95% of the time (5% execution error for the times I didn't most likely).

Does GV connect after 2D (sweep)?

On light characters (Buri and the female cast from what I've seen) it should connect. However, mashing for more hits after a sweep will allow them to tech after the 2nd GV hit. Just do GV without the mashing and it will net you a clean hit. However, I wouldn't recommend doing GV after sweep, as the follow ups are pretty lacking. sj.S -> SVV seemed to be the only practical combo.

What are some good/practical combos to do after a clean hit GV?

Providing you didn't do 2D -> GV on a light character, the usual follow up is j.S or j.D into a clean hit SW. So far that follow up seems to be the most rewarding. j.S should work on pretty much everyone, but j.D is a bit harder to land a CLSW on normal or heavier characters.

---

That's it for now. If further questions are needed I'll add them. Remember this is all from my observations and testing. If something is wrong feel free to correct or add anything in this FAQ.

I'll go ahead and ask a dumbass question first because my copy is still on the UPS truck somewheres: Is there a reliable way to clean hit GV after Bandit Bringer? Does it have the same problems 2D-GV has?

I'll go ahead and ask a dumbass question first because my copy is still on the UPS truck somewheres:

Is there a reliable way to clean hit GV after Bandit Bringer? Does it have the same problems 2D-GV has?

it works out in the middle, clean hit. you might miss the person sometimes (might depend on weight, i tried it with johnny)

edit: bah i lied, if you do BB, i think you got to do the right amount of hits so sol is positioned right underneath the guy. i think it's easier to get a clean hit from BB.

so if you do BB, mash less to get the clean hit, if you mash too much you go past them

but once you get into the corner, the last one still hits, but it's not a clean hit

Is GV safe on block?

No. You will die. You can't get IK'd anymore like the old versions, nor can they burst out of it for free and punish you, but if they block it you're going to get punished.

While they can't burst out of it, they can burst over it and punish. It is not good when Jam does this.

Does Grand Viper on block RC Wild Throw still work??? And damn you Ishiwatari. Why does anything related to Grand viper have to be even slightly complicated?

Does Grand Viper on block RC Wild Throw still work???

And damn you Ishiwatari. Why does anything related to Grand viper have to be even slightly complicated?

i havent tried a GV RC WT, but a normal RC can bring you back into any pressure string that could go into WT.

Grand Viper after the wild throw works easiest against Ky, Robo-Ky, and A.B.A. Haven't got it to work well on anyone else yet. edit1: CLGV after WT can be done on almost everyone. The ones who don't work are: Sol, Order-Sol, Anji, Faust, and Millia. Not sure if there's a real perfected way to land the clean hit every time. One way I learned that seems to work fairly well is to not mash quite so quickly. Move d-pad/stick back and fourth and press S+HS in time to Sol hitting his opponent during his slide forward. Takes a little practice of course, but is alright if your fingers get tired of mashing rapidly. edit2: nevermind, SJ already explains this method in his first post.

I think I've stumbled on to the reality of the clean hit from Grand Viper. I've tried on most of the cast and this seems to work consistently. I say consistently meaning about 80 - 90 percent success rate. I think the times are missed were due to execution mistakes but after meeting the criteria I've observed I never missed it. I haven't trained my eyes to use it in juggles as that's a bit more difficult. So here's what I got. If you combo into GV using something like K-2HS-->GV or just do bare bones GV, you mash and look at the opponent. Mash until you see your opponent suddenly pops into the air slightly. If you don't see this happen then evidently you keep mashing and you get a clean hit as a result. I've been able to nail this almost everytime and from different ranges. Oftentimes, what happens when you're too far when starting it, there may be no opportunity for the clean hit. So do those GVs as close as possible. Knock yourselves out.

Basically what that means is, 8 Hits Grand Viper takes effort and energy to do (especially on pad).

Man, scrubs must have a lot of energy then.

edit1: CLGV after WT can be done on almost everyone. The ones who don't work are: Sol, Order-Sol, Anji, Faust, and Millia.

You sure? I'm pretty sure I've done WT > CLGV on Sol at the very least. Might have been in the corner though, and maybe I'm just imagining things.

Also I don't have a console version to check on yet, but does 2D XX CLGV, dash jD JC djD XX H VV > knockdown... knock down on Buri?

-EDIT-

whoops yeah doesn't work on Sol =X

Also 2D XX CLGV, dash jD JC djD XX HVV >knockdown works in the corner pretty easily, just gotta catch 'em low for the first jump.

Also a combo on Ky-

dash K > c.S > H XX VV(1 hit) RC CLGV (a little bit of mashing depending on how quickly you did the GV after the RC), dash jD XX CLSW, dash c.S > 2H JC jS XX CLSW... stuff, haven't gotten a knockdown off this yet =/

I'm having trouble getting any more than 5 hits out of GV. I do the wiggle thing and the mashing thing, but no cigar. Am I just being too slow or is there something more to it?

well I play on pad, what I do is kind of slide around the buttons/directions in a circular motion really fast. Sometimes crazy random stuff comes out when it clashes but thankfully thats rare :kitty:

I've had more luck starting slower with my mashing and picking up speed as I get to the end, has anyone else had similar experiences? Also 8-hit seems freaking impossible on the pad, although I'm buying a stick soon so it isn't much of an issue.

What? Hitting 8 is easy on pad. Been doing it since XX. I mash fast at the beginning and ease up before the end. Works for me.

Hmm....

Pad players only:

*practice by combing into Grand Viper first.*

I would say it's better to do it arcade layout on pad like so:

/\ S HS(R1)

[] K D(R2)

X P

That way you can hit S&HS easier. Kinda like typing. You don't have to do it since I haven't change my controls until a few months ago.

-Right after you input GV, place your thumb over the pad horizontally so that you can feel left and right at the same time.

-When Sol is doing GV mash left and right with your thumb and S&HS. Mash at a moderate speed. You should be able to feel both left and right with a very little gap in between.

Standard 10 GV combo i.e 5/2K>5/2HS>5/2S>5/2HS>GV

-Stop mashing at 7/8 hits. Beat counter of course.

-11 hit Grand Viper combo 5K>5S>5HS>GV etc..

Pretty much you're mashing longer now because of the extra hit.

-Stop mashing at 9/10 hits.

*9 hit Grand Viper combo CH 2S, 5/2HS>GV

-Stop mashing at hit 7/8 hits.

The more hits before the GV is the more you mash.

That's what I do.... Works for me.

excelence: If you're using an arcade stick, that's how it works. You normally input GV after a 6+HS or c.S, HS. What you have to do is start mashing as soon as you input the move. I use a 7-3 motions for the stick, while using the piano technique for the K-S-HS buttons. You don't even have to mash that hard, in the last 1/4 of the move you should do nothing but wait fot the CH, but once you know hoy to do it, it's just a matter of practice to find the proper way of mashing.

@hatred : thx i'll try that ... jesus already has 3 different button lay out for 3 different character :vbang: @Hideki : i use pad, i once borrow my friend stick. and all i can say is, mashing on stick is cheating ... wtf too easy :vbang:, but on pad most of the time it's 5hit gv where i can play comfortably and 6~7 hit to hurt my thumbs lol... about the combos, if i didn't mistaken 2hs->GV was also works on crouching oponent

i've just tried Hatred suggestion yesterday,... guess i realy suck with my finger, and switched back to my default config and mashing gv to get the stress out... and i got 9 hit GV :vbang: ... i don't even remember masshing that hard just altering 1~9 and /\~O with my thumbs, when i try to do it again... i got another 5 hit GV :gonk: ... but i'm thinking probably this gv thing is more to a timming than masshing :psyduck:... whatever switching to OS *loser mode on :vbang:*

Mashing like you're playing :psyduck: will not net you a clean hit all the time.

I think Arc figured out it was a bad idea to have a move where you have to slap around the machine to get it to work right. It's pretty obvious there's a bit of finese involved now; not mashing too much, too little, and knowing when to stop - and this is mostly experience.

I'm getting the feeling it's a lot more forgiving if you're just using it on its own tho.

It'd be nice if someone could turn CL GV into an exact science :gonk:

Sign in to follow this