Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OmnixTSC

P4U2 Stream Lobbies - W/ Optional Critique and Feedback (Interest Check)

Hello, folks. I noticed that a lot of players have been having issues with consistent matchmaking lately and wanted to see if this would be a good idea to work with. The plan is to host stream lobbies whenever I can with a maximum of 4 or 5 slots (one for myself so I can stream it) where we rotate in players regularly. The lobby size will be this small in order to allow whoever is currently in the lobby to get a good amount of games in before we allow the next set of players to join. If there are commentators available, I will add additional slots to the lobby for them.

Stream: twitch.tv/omnix_tsc

With this idea in mind, I need to find a format for rotating in players if there are others waiting to join. I'm open to suggestions on this, but the ideas I have so far are as follows:

1) Normal Casuals - The lobby size will still be limited, but the lobby will be open for anyone to play for however long they wish to play. 

2) 20 or 25 Game Limit - This limit is by no means set in stone. For whatever group of players is on deck, there would be a cap on the total number of games allowed between all players. We could then either have the person with the most wins (3-man rotation) or the two players with the most wins (4-man rotation) remain while the others are rotated out for other players at the end. Depending on the nature of the stream (whether specific players are looking for feedback or not), we could also do the opposite and have the players with the least wins stay on. It just depends on what we're going for at that particular moment.

3) Lives/Stock System - This one is kinda funny and I don't think it's been done before for this type of game (if it has, I haven't seen it). There would be a player order based on when a player shows up and each player would be given a set number of 'lives'. If you haven't already guessed what this means, you'd be allowed to play in the lobby if your turn was up until you are out of lives. When you do run out, you'd be sent to the back of the line and be required to go through the rotation again. This would sort of give players an incentive to beat the opponents that are doing really well to knock them out of the lobby. I'd have to make a waiting list for this based on when people show up, but it'd be something that everyone could see in order to know when it's their turn to play. You're welcome to pass as well, all the while maintaining your position in the order for up to 2-3 rotations (not sure what the limit should be, yet).

4) FT3 or FT5 Sets - Now this one is something everyone should be familiar with. If you have a specific player that you want to play against and the lobby is pretty vacant, we can go ahead and setup a FT3 or a FT5 and have it streamed. I'm not opposed to having FT10s, but these usually take up a lot of time. Personally, I'd rather have different players on stream quite regularly.

That's all I have for now as far as normal rotations are concerned. I could also maybe schedule some swiss leagues for weekends if I'm not doing anything as long as people are interested. Be sure to let me know what you guys think about all of this! This could be a good way to help people get more experience and exposure.

Edit: For any of these, connection tests will be a possibility. It's more important for the sets, but if everyone in a lobby is complaining about a specific connection, I'll allow the participants to vote on whether or not a particular player will stay or make my own decision based on what I observe. I feel like the fairest way to do it would be to just test connections in advance and keep things region-based, but I might just have to dedicate stream time to different regions.

When you say commentators do you mean people mainly for the purpose of the stream or the players?

The way I see it is that when you have commentators their purpose is to help explain and point out exactly what is going on in the match and to therefore demonstrate to any layman viewer the "hype" behind the match and this kind of commentary is all well and fine, however

For the purpose of critique the commentators would have to shift and not only explain what and why they are doing what they are doing. But even in some instances what they should  be doing. These too things are very similar and I know the overlap is great but I think it prudent to make such a thing abundantly clear first.

Edit : This would also mean it might be nice to grab a couple of gods around here to help on a specific night for specific players or practice on a specific match-up. (I believe Rsquared-sama would have no problems helping out a few labrys or red axing a couple of us as "MU Practice")

When you say commentators do you mean people mainly for the purpose of the stream or the players?

For both, the focus will just be on the players if they specifically asked for critiques. Otherwise, it'll just be commentary that analyzes decision making and explains why choices are made or why they should/shouldn't be made. 

If people want to try their hand at commentating one of the lobbies, I'm up for that as well. The intent will have to be to give feedback, though, so I'm probably going to stick to people that have a decent understanding of the game at the bare minimum.

Could be interesting but who are these players having trouble with consistent match making? At peak hours (for me, around 5pm - 1am EST) there's about 30+ players in the north american lobby.

Could be interesting but who are these players having trouble with consistent match making? At peak hours (for me, around 5pm - 1am EST) there's about 30+ players in the north american lobby.

I've seen people complaining on twitter and in skype chats primarily. The thing about the NA lobby is also that a lot of people just sit in there without actually playing, so you can't really take them into consideration.

Maybe not everyone is having trouble finding opponents, but I've seen enough complaints to want to try something different.

I'm going to try to set something up for this Sunday. This one will be rather short notice, but I plan to schedule the others in advance (I want to have a somewhat consistent schedule that everyone can see to know when things are happening). 

Please vote for the type of stream session you'd prefer to see via this straw poll: http://strawpoll.me/3961811

I'll cut off voting Saturday night, so be sure to get those votes in.

Ain't this a nice idea, i'd watch that.

One note though: If the commentary is also supposed to help the playing players, you'd probably need save the stream so that the playing players can watch the commentated replays when they're done playing.

Another possibility would be to put the players into the same conversation (be it skype or whatever) as the commentators. But, depending on the level of seriousness, the players might be too focused on the game to listen to anything. So yeah, replays would be good :)

I've always liked FT5 sets the most, when it comes to learning match ups, so I went with that. Thanks again for putting this together Omnix.

Just trying to get more people interested in this game and help people prepare a bit more. If I have fun doing it, it's even better :D

Ain't this a nice idea, i'd watch that.

One note though: If the commentary is also supposed to help the playing players, you'd probably need save the stream so that the playing players can watch the commentated replays when they're done playing.

Another possibility would be to put the players into the same conversation (be it skype or whatever) as the commentators. But, depending on the level of seriousness, the players might be too focused on the game to listen to anything. So yeah, replays would be good :)

I'd definitely save and upload the archives to youtube so that players could review their matches. Like you said, the players won't be able to listen while they're playing. Having the feedback available to them afterwards is important.

Depending on the time Sun. I'm interested in playing vs. dustloop people.  I'm w. coast, so that would be a factor on the connection. I don't have skype or a mic, etc.  Feel free to send an invite.  Thanks.

if its sunday then i cant participate im sorry it does sound fun though

Don't worry about it! There will be more than one of these, so I'm sure you'll get a chance to play.

Depending on the time Sun. I'm interested in playing vs. dustloop people.  I'm w. coast, so that would be a factor on the connection. I don't have skype or a mic, etc.  Feel free to send an invite.  Thanks.

I think we'll have some west coast players or mid-west ones that will be up for playing. Just be sure to check-in here to see if anyone is willing to test the connection with you. Oh, do you at least have a twitch account? It'd be easier to find someone for you if you could chat with us during the stream.

Don't worry about it! There will be more than one of these, so I'm sure you'll get a chance to play.

I think we'll have some west coast players or mid-west ones that will be up for playing. Just be sure to check-in here to see if anyone is willing to test the connection with you. Oh, do you at least have a twitch account? It'd be easier to find someone for you if you could chat with us during the stream.

yea my issue is that i always work on sundays

yea my issue is that i always work on sundays

They won't always be on Sundays (as I might be busy on a few Sundays as well). Friday and Saturday will be open as well most times as long as other people aren't hosting things that conflict with my schedules. It really just depends on how often we end up doing all of this.

I've semi-retired, but I've been really interested in getting my playstyle critiqued to hell and back. I know I got bad habits. That's just something that happens from a netplay-only player I guess.

I got a family trip planned this weekend so it's a no-go for Sunday. I'll be all over this if you do it next weekend though. And yes, I do have a mic/skype etc.

Okay, we're doing Ft3s and Ft5s tomorrow. This'll be the first time I attempt this, so you guys will have to bare with me if there are any technical difficulties or anything.

I'm not going to be doing a sign-up sheet this time around, so as long as you post here or in the stream chat during the session, I'll add you to the list. Remember, these are moreso for getting feedback and critiques than anything else, so join with that in mind.

This will start around 4PM CST, but it might me a bit delayed depending on whether or not I can pull commentators orz

Edit: Okay, a sign-up sheet would still be a good idea, haha. You can sign-up here and see who all is confirmed atm. 

OK, thanks for the response.  Checking in to see if I can play.  I have a Twitch account, and will see if I can find out where to go & what to do to join the chat.  If I can't, I check PSN messages regularly.

I just realized that I forgot to clear and open this back up on Monday...ugh, sorry.  :sweatdrop:

Sign-Up Here

Anyways, we're doing this again on this coming Sunday (4/5). If you'd like to enter, be sure to sign-up before 5:30PM CST as I'll be cutting off sign-ups this time around. The stream will start at 5PM CST as long as there aren't any delays. 

Sure, why not? I should be available on Sunday and I'm trying to get back into the game so I'll be pretty bad LOL!

If anything changes, I can be removed right? I'll try to give advanced notice as soon as I can if something comes up.