Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tresmigistus

Critique My Akihiko

Decided everybody else has one of these except us boxers. I figured, why not? Post a vid of one of your boxing matches for critique on your Aki. I only ask that you follow the site rules and be respectful to others. Other than that, have fun!

I mean, I'm game. My latest video is me from NWM, don't really have anything else... 

Well, I don't really know how to critique as my Akihiko is still sub-par. However, I'd like to gain some insight on your match with Bananaken. There was a certain point in the set you started winning two games in a row. What was it that you changed that made you play against him better? Was it habits you noticed from him?

Really hype matches btw, the stream was exploding.

Well anyone's free to criticize my akihiko man, in fact the more people pitch in the more things we would find, yeah? 

The only reason I got those two wins was because i realized BK did a lot of DP, and I took advantage of it when I had the meter to with EX hooks. Also, once in and I started to get ex hooks mixups, then he respected me a biiit more and that allowed me to keep the ball rolling.

If I had to guess another reason it'd be because, HE caught up to my habits, and then when he punished me for it, I realized it, and then countered punish him assuming he'd go for my bad habits.

Thanks! Everyone tells me the stream was fun, its a shame I didnt get to see it ;=;

Ah I see. Yeah wish you could've seen the stream hahaha When you did the SB Duck reset I typed out on stream "HE WARNED YOU GUYS, IT'S ON HIS CHANNEL" because the hype turns people into stream monsters.

Well, at the top of my head, you just had a bit of execution drops here and there, I recall Xie saying that it'd be a lot closer if you could have completed more CH DP combos. Execution is execution though, nothing much constructive can be said about it. I don't remember it too well, but there might have been one or two spots you went for resets even though you had the resources to take the round. Otherwise, for the most part, you made really good decisions and were really solid. Really impressive considering it was your first major.

For starters

*approves of aki, aki navi, and fuuka round calls*

Oh, also, I guess I should mention using SB rush in neutral is a bad idea and you did it several times, also duck D to go into grab is awful, gives plenty of reaction time and remember that rekka-grabs are fatal recovery. You had a couple of odd combo choices but that's fine nothing some hitconfirm practice wont fix. Also stop doing 2a/5a onto air grab tech reset, they're pretty bad in this game. Working on your pressure would help too, its not that its bad, its that its simple, without variations. Good shit on using self-awakening and general neutral awareness though, and no mashy-mashy dps is also a plus. I'd also suggest using less AoAs, Aki's aoa is terrible.

Then how can I make good grab-mixups ? 

Can you point some of the combos that need some work please ? (the fatal ones I know that are bad but I am afraid of risking doing the good one in a real match online)

Can you tell me some variations to what I do plz :3 ? 

Its not that the mixup itself is bad, just use C duck instead of D duck. 

You seem to fail to do crouching confirms several times, and the fatal ones *definitely* you have to work on!! Don't be afraid of dropping them, its through dropping them in matches many times over and over that you perfect them.

But C duck > grab whiff sometimes for some reason that I still don't know while D duck > grab is a bad one but always works

I see... well time to lose some more matches I guess ahah 

C duck>grab is dependant on timing due to blockstun, thus its harder to do, but it works better when you use it right. D duck is always bad and you are just asking to get counter hit 

//edit

finally finished watching it and, oh god good reads on those parries I approve lmao. You seem to go ham too often which is a bad habit, i'd work ont hat if I were you. Finally, STOP DOING THOSE AOAS. They might work online sometimes but they'll prevent you from truly reaching your true abilities. Also, you need to work on arrhythmical rekkas.

First of all stop doing cool combos into resets (2A>air dash grab). It works sometimes, but I use it tops once in a full set? Maybe twice? And in the corner (aka where even if they delay tech i can keep pressure, sort of). Arrhythmical rekkas is a pretty basic concept. The main problem with akihiko is that his rekkas are very easy to instant block because they are very rhythmical. Sonic>hook>sonic have very common rhythms which makes people IB it easily and then DP it or punish them when you try weaving or ducking. Arrhythmical as it implies is not following the common mashing rhythm of cancelling your rekkas. Do Sonic>Hook> (VERY SLIGHT DELAY) Sonic, or Sonic>slight delay>hook, etc. keep changing your pace. Sometimes do Sonic>weave>sonic. Sometimes do Sonic>weave> and let the guy take pressure (sometimes they'll panic and DP, sometimes they wont). Keep them guessing, keep changing your rhythm, and people get scared more, and faster.

1. stop resetting your pressure into hop dive B, if you absolutely want to do that go at LEAST for dive A, but NOT DIVE B, NOT EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, this is literally you standing there for 20+ frames saying "please fatal counter me" in the air

2. after a blocked dive NEVER GO FOR B HOOK OR B SONIC unless it actually counter hits, go for hook A - it's a frame trap

3. NEVER go into just raw auto combo, its really really bad practice and it'll earn you bad habits

4. you spent 25 meter on EX killrush (i understand you did it for the reset attempt, which itself is not bad, just try not to over use it) too early in the round vs narukami, this is a waste of meter most of the time, and though this time it worked, i'd say not to doing that often if at all, since there's a big chance of putting him straight into awakening

5. never dp after narukami's (or almost everyone's dp) since they are usually safe jumps

6. try not to burst too early in matches 

7. dem aoa's son, stahp

8. you cancel your own pressure AND combos into resets way way too much, akihiko does NOT need them in 98% of the times because his damage is high - keep yourself to damage and not to resets, resets are meant to be surprises, not your constant neutral

9. as a general rule of thumb, dont jump forward and jC, always do it with backwards momentum to make it as safe as it can be

10. you mash a lot on tech - this is not guilty gear just holding the button down is more than enough

11. with that being said, delay teching is also your friend

those are my thoughts on what i saw vs mitsuru and narukami

1- Well my B dives were attempts to do a CH combo from a hop j.B ahah

2- you're right xD most of the times were me being retarded and not doing the EX B hook 

4- yeah I was kinda nervous there, I was like, "ok this guy beated me once I need to get momentum"

5- Yeah I noticed and I am having a hard time dealing with that what can I do againts their safe jumps as Aki ? Just delayed tech ?

6- same thing as 2.

7- Yeah I am stupid :v sometimes I get too greedy for that meter and damage and forget that I am not netplaying ahah >.<

8- Yeah it's a bad habit I have from guilty gear, I played leo so resets were my life there

10- same as 8.

Thanks for watching my matches :D ! 

Im not saying resets are bad, but...try not to over use them in a game where DP'ing is a one button action regardless of direction haha. I know you were attempting to get it from a ch jB which is actually the optimal jB ch route, but if it gets blocked then try to switch jB into dive A. Its a matter of reflexes but its something that can get you killed if you dont fix. Against safe jumps you can only tech delay or take it like a man and block. Sometimes on tech delay they know combos that are both safe jumps and anti tech delays (for example they safe jump into 2A>5B, so if you delay tech they get a combo). if they know that particular route then you have no choice but to be a man about it, tech, and block. Dont dp. Dont DP. DO NOT DP. Unless you have 50 meter and are willing to co immediately into thunderfist to change the pace of battle, do not dp. Be patience. Your play seems like it really could benefit from being a little bit more patient. If the guy beat you up all the more reason to calm down and not mash on buttons. Easier said than done, I know.