Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reki

How do I beat throws?

Sorry for the thread title. I don't really mean it and I just wanted them guaranteed replies.

Actually, I'm having a lot of difficulty teching throws in bb. I couldn't understand why was I so free in getting thrown by anyone I play then I read just now that throw reject miss is actually a thing and I've been mashing throw escapes at certain intervals while in blockstun thinking it's okay like in street fighter 3rd strike.

Is it right to assume that because of TRM, it's not safe to OS throw escapes? and are you really expected to escape on reaction while watching out for overheads or is it really a coinflip?

Oh lol, throw beats strike. Need to keep that in mind.

Sorry for the thread title. I don't really mean it and I just wanted them guaranteed replies.

No. If you want to ask questions, make the thread title about that and not flame bait.

There is an OS to beat throws but it's not almighty like in the SF serie.

TRM was included so people can't spam throw techs brainlessly.

The OS is 4(1) A+B+C. It will throw tech when thrown and barrier if they press buttons. But it won't work if you spam it, you will need to time it well. Otherwise you'll get TRM'ed

Other than that, if you can throw tech, you can DP

The thing about the throw tech OS is that it doesn't really help you tech throws. You still have to time your tech correctly, or you will get TRM'd.  What it does do is help you avoid getting CH because you whiffed a throw while trying to tech one.

For example, if a Jin player runs up to you, he can throw you, or he can do 6B; If you instinctively push throw tech because you think he's going to throw you, and he does 6B instead, he will be airborne due to 6B, your throw will whiff, and he will counterhit you for massive damage.  If you use the throw tech OS here instead, you will just get barrier, and you won't get CH;  But in order to tech the throw if he does decide to throw you, you still need to push the buttons at the right time.

The only real way to get better at teching throws is to be aware of when you are inside throw range (it's actually pretty damn short in CP) and be ready to tech.  Fortunately, good use of barrier will mean that your opponent is almost never in a position to do a non-dash-up throw.

Well, they could also bait the OS by doing a tick when you expect a throw and grabbing you out of barrier.

But I guess that falls under timing it correctly like you said.

The throw OS is just a way to cover multiple options. You are expected to learn when to input a throw tech as a good opponent will learn to mix up his/her throws. Just think of it as another mix-up you need to learn to avoid. There are other OS's like fuzzy jump and character specific DP/6B throw OS's but they are all beatable. OS's would be too strong without TRM, so you have to learn when is the proper time to use it.

Also, throws don't necessarily beat strike. If you get grabbed out of a move the start up was simply too long. Throws are an 8 frame start-up I believe. Most 2As can beat that, but you can get counter hit thrown due to normals being able to cancels into throws so try not to use mashing as a way of not getting thrown.

Well, they could also bait the OS by doing a tick when you expect a throw and grabbing you out of barrier.

But I guess that falls under timing it correctly like you said.

Exactly; It doesn't help you tech throws - if they did a tick throw and you mashed a regular throw tech there, you'd get TRM'd as well.

Thanks, I'll keep what you all said in mind.

Actually I've been seeing jp players like ragna or jin run in, 2A, whiff 5A (since the guy blocking is crouching) then throw. Is this a common TRM setup by any chance?

Actually I've been seeing jp players like ragna or jin run in, 2A, whiff 5A (since the guy blocking is crouching) then throw. Is this a common TRM setup by any chance?

It's not just to TRM. It will TRM if the opponent uses the barrier OS a lot, but it also makes the grab harder to react to since there's no pause between the attack and the grab.

Yes.

I'm going to keep this simple, if your opponent is throwing you, input barrier tech where you'd want to be teching that throw. It's actually that simple. Sometimes they'll frame trap you or TRM, that's the mix up, that's life as a fighting game player haha.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but that's all there is to it. To beat grabs you either tech the grab or mash/jump/avoid the situation, and you make those guesses off what the other player is doing. Various OSes exist to make the commitment a bit safer or cover multiple options, but the mix up is still the mix up.

No need to over complicate or overthink it.

Yes, though it loses to mashing 2A because you'll hit them while they're whiffing their jab, so this whole setup depends on them getting you to respect them first.

U gotta experience the situation in which a throw is likely to occur many times

U gotta experience the situation in which a throw is likely to occur many times

And you need to be paying attention, otherwise you just find yourself thinking #^$%&$%@!! I got thrown there again after it happens. :P

The thing about the throw tech OS is that it doesn't really help you tech throws. You still have to time your tech correctly, or you will get TRM'd.  What it does do is help you avoid getting CH because you whiffed a throw while trying to tech one.

No what the OS does if it is DONE CORRECTLY is that it avoids you being put in throw animation altogether, you have about like a 3 frame window or something like that TO put that OS. Otherwise you get TRM state. In any other case you can just react to the throw. 

Here are some simple examples to illustrate: I'll use Ragna and Jin because they have 5A's that don't hit crouchers (keep in mind 5 frames(?) out of blockstun you cannot get thrown)

for Ragna:

2A > Tick Throw

5A (whiff) > Throw

2A dash/walk forward > 2A Throw

There are more but I'm just going to keep it to this

for Jin

the basics for it is just about the same as Ragna tbh I think one of the few things is doing dash 6B (inputting ABC making a guess if the person is going to throw) if they do and it's done correct you tech the throw if not you just barrier, it helps avoiding the issue where people like. . flinch grab and eat a CH for like 3.5K.

another thing is varying Jin's throw timing after 5B because he can cancel his 5B into throw (purple throw) or just vary the green throw timing.

Keep in mind people can visually check if you are still crouching for upback/mashing/or just still blocking.

The throw barrier OS also helps you avoid those clowny situations where you predict they're going to run in and throw you, you throw tech in anticipation but they misjudge how far they have to dash and whiff a throw, causing you to whiff a throw yourself after they whiff a throw, leading into them taking advantage of your recovery frames.

I speak from experience.

No what the OS does if it is DONE CORRECTLY is that it avoids you being put in throw animation altogether, you have about like a 3 frame window or something like that TO put that OS. Otherwise you get TRM state. In any other case you can just react to the throw. 

Here are some simple examples to illustrate: I'll use Ragna and Jin because they have 5A's that don't hit crouchers (keep in mind 5 frames(?) out of blockstun you cannot get thrown)

for Ragna:

2A > Tick Throw

5A (whiff) > Throw

2A dash/walk forward > 2A Throw

There are more but I'm just going to keep it to this

for Jin

the basics for it is just about the same as Ragna tbh I think one of the few things is doing dash 6B (inputting ABC making a guess if the person is going to throw) if they do and it's done correct you tech the throw if not you just barrier, it helps avoiding the issue where people like. . flinch grab and eat a CH for like 3.5K.

another thing is varying Jin's throw timing after 5B because he can cancel his 5B into throw (purple throw) or just vary the green throw timing.

Keep in mind people can visually check if you are still crouching for upback/mashing/or just still blocking.

I have no idea what you are trying to say, because the only bits of it that seem relevant are what I already said: Namely, the point is to avoid getting CH by things that would CH you if you got a throw animation.

all of it is relevant because that's what it does??????????

is this a joke or something, do you like find joy in just posting in threads you don't really know stuff about?

Insults seem a little silly when you appear to agree with me on the fundamental point. :P

also i forgot to say, its very hard to tech well timed mix up throws, plus air throws

i just eat them lmao