Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poultrygeist

An Instant blocking thread. "Fox, get this guy off me!"

So I'm having trouble practicing this mechanic.  Not in any particular game no, but in ALL of the ones that feature it.  GG, BB, even all the way back to CVS2 and Mark of the Wolves.  But the thing is, how do I even practice it?  What input should I be doing for it?  Should I just be hitting back on reaction like a reverse parry, or should I be temporarily letting go of block and then doing it again when the move I want to IB comes up?  How lenient IS the IB window anyway?

The IB timing window varies from game to game, check the DL wiki for more details: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

It really depends, it's easier to IB moves if you know that the opponent will cancel X move into Y move. Let's say for example Jin goes into 5B in his blockstring, I will push down+back (1) while in block stun to IB a potential 2B/5C. Normally you want to "predict" what move your opponent will cancel into and push back while in block stun to IB the potential attack. 

Other times you want to IB moves if your character doesn't have an answer to them in that specific situation. Let's say Bang JCs a move, jumps over me and tries to hit me with j.4B and I'm playing as Jin. I don't have an answer to his j.4B other than a yomi air throw or a DP, so my safest bet at that time is to just IB the j.4B.

You want to always IB multi-hitting moves such as Nu's C moves. 

How to practice:

be weird like me and never hold to block, always tap to block.

My problem is what to do AFTER you IB.

More often than not I'm stuck in a 50/50 situation where the more aggressive player wins.

I'm not very aggressive, so I often get punished for not hitting first.

With Sol or Potemkin it's easy just IB and VV or Buster them.

But what about someone like Bedman?  What sort of responses on IB can he give?

I don't mean to be a douche but come on, use your brain a little and do a little research lol.

It depends on what you and your opponent's options are after the IB. I don't play GG as much as I should so I'll use an example using BB. 

Jin's 6B is normally +3 on block, you IB it and now it's 0 on block. It can only be special canceled, so if you're playing as someone with a fast jab, your best be is to jab him out. There are too many variables to consider and there is not an absolute answer to every situation, so just go with what you think the best option is at the time. 

Consider the following...

• Can the move I IB'd be canceled into something else?
  • Do I have a move that's fast enough to beat whatever might come next after the IB?
  • Is this is a good place for me to IB > DP/Reversal?
  • Will the following move catch me back dashing or jumping back after the IB?
  • Can I punish this move on IB?

The IB timing window varies from game to game, check the DL wiki for more details: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

It really depends, it's easier to IB moves if you know that the opponent will cancel X move into Y move. Let's say for example Jin goes into 5B in his blockstring, I will push down+back (1) while in block stun to IB a potential 2B/5C. Normally you want to "predict" what move your opponent will cancel into and push back while in block stun to IB the potential attack. 

Other times you want to IB moves if your character doesn't have an answer to them in that specific situation. Let's say Bang JCs a move, jumps over me and tries to hit me with j.4B and I'm playing as Jin. I don't have an answer to his j.4B other than a yomi air throw or a DP, so my safest bet at that time is to just IB the j.4B.

You want to always IB multi-hitting moves such as Nu's C moves. 

This is an extremely helpful post and it answers most of my questions, except for the one about practicing IBing.  I'm going to assume that the best thing I can do is record the dummy to do the most common string for the character and then just IB it, and/or randomize it between multiple enders for the same string.  

Yeah, I would record some common block strings and randomize them. Sparring with the AI helps a bit but you're probably better off just practicing blocking common, randomized strings. 

ALSO...

Should I set random recordings so that the strings have different enders and I learn to IB them all, or is it wiser to wait until I can consistently IB the first one, walk before you run and all?

Nah, just practice random strings, it's not like your opponent is going to be going for the same thing over and over.