Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ThaddeusScherzo

I'm running a Kickstarter, and looking for input

Hello, Dustloop Users!

To put things simply, I've launched a Kickstarter to create my own dream channel, and want to know what the FGC thinks! (I also apologize if this is improperly placed. I don't know where a topic like this fits) Essentially, I want to create a channel for everyone, with a weekly lineup like on a tv channel, not a static or random schedule, while also covering as many games as physically possible! I would love to hear your input, or maybe even garner some attention, so feel free to do either! The link is as follows: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/158562405/lets-create-an-awesome-channel-for-next-gen-fighti I don't want to bug you for money, I only want advice/notes.

Thank you for your time, and though I will be checking in on this forum, I also can be contacted via the Kickstarter, or on twitter @MrScherzo

Oh, and Thaddeus Scherzo is a Pseudonym, but I like the feel of it.

The fact that you just made a fresh Dustloop account is a little sketchy too me. As well as your twitter. This is basically asking for 4 grand to play video games. What niche are you trying to fill, exactly? What problem is there that you're trying to solve through kickstarter? How are you going to maintain a competitive edge against other Youtube channels? Your business plan is nearly non-existent and you have no credibility at all.

Why not fund this yourself?

My life is balanced perfectly, with no room to tilt. Additionally, I want to make this a very grand channel, and that is even farther from my personal reach.

Last updated: Fri, Jun 12 2015 1:28 PM EDT

If you can't come up with $4,000 on your own, I'm not sure you can claim to have a balanced life. If you're still a teen and living with your parents, then a min wage part time job would make you the cash in about 6 months. Or a full time min wage job would get you there in 3 months time, like over summer break.

The fact that you just made a fresh Dustloop account is a little sketchy too me. As well as your twitter. This is basically asking for 4 grand to play video games. What niche are you trying to fill, exactly? What problem is there that you're trying to solve through kickstarter? How are you going to maintain a competitive edge against other Youtube channels? Your business plan is nearly non-existent and you have no credibility at all.

The primary goal of the channel is to cover everything possible, but to also fine-tune my content to what people are interested in but having a poll every week for the next week's content. The primary reason of the Kickstarter is to enable me to fulfill my vision, since I can't afford anything more than a few basic things on steam, and even then don't have the computer to handle gaming. Yes, the twitter and dustloop accounts are new, but that's because I made them for this. I've read dustloop articles, but haven't had the need to ask a question for a few years for obvious reasons.

If you can't come up with $4,000 on your own, I'm not sure you can claim to have a balanced life. If you're still a teen and living with your parents, then a min wage part time job would make you the cash in about 6 months. Or a full time min wage job would get you there in 3 months time, like over summer break.

I feel my life is balanced, but I suppose that is one man's opinion... Essentially, Kickstarting myself is the easiest way to do this, without making a permanently life-altering decision, since my present employment is both fulfilling, and preferred. However, I find it worth noting that I would like advice for a successful campaign, and to hear what people would like as content. When I played Fighters, I could learn almost any character in a day or two, so I think I can do essentially anything that would interest my prospective subscribers.

I also have a mean maniacal laugh, which is both a good and a bad thing.

Of course you feel your life is balanced, you've already stated that in your FAQ. Of course asking for and receiving money, while not making any changes in your own life, is the easiest way to go about whatever this is. And now you're trying to deflect from the issues.

Issue #1: Who are you? What have you already done?

New Dustloop account, new twitter account, brand new kickstarter account, with no previous projects or backings, and made by someone else because you are underage. Why should people give their money to a stranger?

Issue #2: $4,000?

And you're already employed! If you can't come up with this amount of money on your own, than why should anyone give you their hard-earned money? Kids in high school work their butts off to make triple, or quadruple this amount to purchase their first car. If you aren't willing to make changes in your life to accomplish your goals, then what chance does this project have of being something worthwhile?

People can do whatever with their money. #1 is the bigger issue. Now right, this is just looking like a weak hustle, to get other people to fund your gaming.

Of course you feel your life is balanced, you've already stated that in your FAQ. Of course asking for and receiving money, while not making any changes in your own life, is the easiest way to go about whatever this is. And now you're trying to deflect from the issues.

Issue #1: Who are you? What have you already done?

New Dustloop account, new twitter account, brand new kickstarter account, with no previous projects or backings, and made by someone else because you are underage. Why should people give their money to a stranger?

People can do whatever with their money. #1 is the bigger issue. Now right, this is just looking like a weak hustle, to get other people to fund your gaming.

These two points. Your plan states you want to make a game committed to fighting games, yet you want us to pay for these games, a stick, a console, etc. It might sound rough but saying you have a vision to bring everything together is far too broad. The boys and girls on the East Coast are selling t-shirts to get the top tournament-ranking players to fly out to EVO and represent. The end-goal is present with short-term steps to achieve said goal. You have a "weekly line-up" with no scheduling system whatsoever. This is just messy. If you want to use Kickstarter, understand that it's an investment system, not a donation system. What is my investment going to get ME? What is the return on my dollar? 

-$4000 is way too much. Why am I paying for you to even have a stick if you don't even have that? Why is your budgetary breakdown so vague?

-Credibility. Who are you? Why should I invest in you and not just simply invest in another youtuber who's already doing the same thing. Why not make a portfolio at least?

-Investment of your own time: Telling me "Ehh, I don't want to invest my own money because everything is hunky dory" doesn't exactly scream commitment to me. We're going to give you $4,000 and you expect us to just trust you on your word that you're going to, at random times, upload fighting game content that we already have access too, which may just stop at any moment because you're comfortable with your life and you don't want to ruin that? Nope.

LOL. GTFO.

If you can't even put up $4k of your own money to front your own venture, you have no business doing such a thing in the first place.

Never thought I'd see this "go fund me" YouTube stuff on dustloop. Not sure why you need $4,000 to start a YouTube channel. Especially when you have no credibility whatsoever. Pretty ballsie.

If you really do want to make a FGC channel, buy just what you need to get you started Making content. You don't need sound proofing and all that other bullshit.

Your kickstarter reeks of amateurish and unrealistic goals, and honestly seems like a scam.

Your business plan is nearly non-existent and you have no credibility at all.

LOL. GTFO.

Your kickstarter reeks of amateurish and unrealistic goals, and honestly seems like a scam.

Slayer_Instant_Kill_622x320.jpg?fit=622%

gotta agree with everyone else here. Seriously, asking for 4k so you can do youtube? If that wasn't ridiculous enough, you also have a job.

If you wanna have a youtube channel, then start a youtube channel. take a couple hundred bucks out of your next paycheck, buy a capture card and whatever games and just start doing it. Thats it.

LOL. GTFO.

If you can't even put up $4k of your own money to front your own venture, you have no business doing such a thing in the first place.

You don't even need more than like $150:

-$20 Webcam

-$20 Microphone/Headset

-$15 for Accent Core / $15 for Skullgirls / $15 for KoF 13 / $15 USF4(Steam)

-$0 for OBS and YouTube

-$50 a month for high speed internet access

Why in God's name would you need $4,000? You're not a professional, you wouldn't know what to do with professional equipment (hence the term PROFESSIONAL). If you can't afford that stuff on your own to start your YouTube channel and start building a portfolio on your own terms, then maybe you should research how starting a small business works. Welcome to the Dragon's Den known as life.

When I played Fighters, I could learn almost any character in a day or two, so I think I can do essentially anything that would interest my prospective subscribers.

My 4+ years of learning to play I-No and still not being good at the game tell me that you're not worth giving money to because you don't even know what you're trying to sell.  You might be able to teach someone something after a few weeks of learning, but the primary audience on this website are either people who know way more than you, or are people who are learning from those people for free.  Can you compete with Guilty BitsAirdash AcademyPichy and PalsTutorial videos made by people without professional equipment?  Do you think you can do better than our wiki or the discussions in the forum?

You can start the journey to sucking slightly less, but it doesn't start with being paid $4,000 for thinking about taking the trip.

My 4+ years of learning to play I-No and still not being good at the game tell me that you're not worth giving money to because you don't even know what you're trying to sell.  You might be able to teach someone something after a few weeks of learning, but the primary audience on this website are either people who know way more than you, or are people who are learning from those people for free.  Can you compete with Guilty BitsAirdash AcademyPichy and PalsTutorial videos made by people without professional equipment?  Do you think you can do better than our wiki or the discussions in the forum?

You can start the journey to sucking slightly less, but it doesn't start with being paid $4,000 for thinking about taking the trip.

He probably means "I can memorize the movelist after two days" or something.

When I was 15 I also thought that meant "learning to play a character".

If you want to convince people you're worth giving money to, first and foremost you have to have some kind of work to show for it.  Nobody wants to drop dollars on promises.  If you have some kind of truly amazing content, or at least something you feel is worth paying for, it would be advsiable for you to share it.

If you want to convince people you're worth giving money to, first and foremost you have to have some kind of work to show for it.  Nobody wants to drop dollars on promises.  If you have some kind of truly amazing content, or at least something you feel is worth paying for, it would be advsiable for you to share it.

First, thank you for not just saying something insulting. Second, in the time I did have in the FGC, I once had a close online match with Gamerbee, but that's about all I had time to accomplish... I suppose I'm a partially educated blank slate. That being said, in case this crowdfunding fails, I have already begun to rebudget my plans, and think smaller. This doesn't leave much room for a channel, but is better than nothing. I suppose that there's no need for any further commenting on my question. Thank you again for being respectful.

I like how you completely ignore everything on the skullgirls forum about this, you come make an account on dustloop to try and pander to them. like im sorry bro but this kickstarter isnt really gonna work out for you at all like this, im gonna copy and paste my reply to this lofty goal from the other forum in case you missed it henny

as some one who use to want to do something similar a while ago (and I bought all my own equipment mind you) I have come into conflicts with finding time to even to make videos and stuff, how would you be able to maintain a constant presence in the games you would want to cover's communities and become a source of knowledge for new players and good info for already good players. Do you have anything that would keep you from making content such as school and/or work because that would kill your channel off fast if you have too much other obligations. 

good luck with trying to make content but it would be better for you to better establish yourself using free/cheap tools that you have easy access to

in case this crowdfunding fails, I have already begun to rebudget my plans, and think smaller. This doesn't leave much room for a channel, but is better than nothing. 

are you serious? do you think in order to have a youtube channel you need some awesome super duper pro setup? and your background in the fgc is... you once had a close match with some guy...

well I used to hang out with lich. amigoodnow? honestly, this is the equivalent of me going on kickstarter and making a page saying "I want $4,000 just because". 

Look at your budget graph man..$400 for fees.... what fees? $1300 for internet... lolwut? You said you have a job, pay for your own internet. $1500 for a recorder, a camera, soundproofing (srsly..?) and "gear". Then another $800 for a system (soooo you dont already have a system? ohhhhkay..) a stick and games. You dont already play these games yourself huh? nice...

look bud. How can people be anything BUT skeptical when someone no one knows comes out of nowhere and goes "gimme $4,000 so i can youtubez" when part of the 4000 goes towards your internet which you should be paying for yourself and buying you a system and games in the first place.

You're serious about doing this, cool thats great, but dont just start begging for things you should be supplying yourself. and... soundproofin equipment..? WHAT!?  I said this once, I'll say it aain. Just buy a capture card. they run cheap now, like 100-200 bucks.  great now you're set.

First, thank you for not just saying something insulting. Second, in the time I did have in the FGC, I once had a close online match with Gamerbee, but that's about all I had time to accomplish... I suppose I'm a partially educated blank slate. That being said, in case this crowdfunding fails, I have already begun to rebudget my plans, and think smaller. This doesn't leave much room for a channel, but is better than nothing. I suppose that there's no need for any further commenting on my question. Thank you again for being respectful.

Rebudget? If by Rebudget you mean buy your own stuff? Yeah I think that would work. You obviously don't care enough about making content if you won't spend your own money. If you don't care, I can assure you that I don't care.

Considering you won't address anyone's points or concerns about your "project," I can't tell if you're just delusional, or completely dishonest.

No one is going to fund your hobby for you. 

Look at your budget graph man..$400 for fees.... what fees?

Kickstarter would take 10% of the money he raises if he reaches the $4K goal.  "Fees" accounts for that.

Anyway dude, good luck with whatever you choose to do next.  If you ever get a copy of GG feel free to hit me up for games.  I can't promise I'll have time for it, but I always like to point new players in the right direction (*psst*  start by reading/watching all the stuff I linked in my earlier post).

I have $4,000! It's right inside the bear trap I- er, someone set dangerously close to the edge of that cliff.

Be warned: someone (totally not me.....) will attempt to push you off if you try to get it.

...ok seriously. Good luck. I definitely recommend looking into a much, MUCH cheaper alternative to your current goals. It is practical to get much bore bang for your buck with the less expensive items. We just need to be able to see and hear the video and it needs to be good. In this case more money does not necessarily mean more quality. Just... Quantity, and if you want that... *points to bear trap*

First, thank you for not just saying something insulting. Second, in the time I did have in the FGC, I once had a close online match with Gamerbee, but that's about all I had time to accomplish...

Trolling.

Kickstarter would take 10% of the money he raises if he reaches the $4K goal.  "Fees" accounts for that.

ahh i see. its still pretty ridiculous though.

I have $4,000! It's right inside the bear trap I- er, someone set dangerously close to the edge of that cliff.

Be warned: someone (totally not me.....) will attempt to push you off if you try to get it.

...ok seriously. Good luck. I definitely recommend looking into a much, MUCH cheaper alternative to your current goals. It is practical to get much bore bang for your buck with the less expensive items. We just need to be able to see and hear the video and it needs to be good. In this case more money does not necessarily mean more quality. Just... Quantity, and if you want that... *points to bear trap*

What if I tossed something in the bear trap to trigger it, and came with a parachute? All jokes aside...

On the subject of more bang for bucks, is there a better value recorder than the elgato? $150 is an OK price, but I'd still rather be conservative. Also, the thing I dislike most is the price of a good fightstick. Any cheaper ones than the madcatz TE that won't break easily? Should I just mod a wwe brawlstick, or do you suppose the ps4'll overrun the ps3? Lastly, I'm pretty sure, but there aren't many major events for anime/airdashers that are on xbox, right? I know CEO uses ps3 for most, at least.

Any cheaper ones than the madcatz TE that won't break easily?
 As far as next gen sticks go, I think the cheapest you'll be able to get away with is the Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai on amazon. All PS4 sticks are currently backwards compatible with PS3, so that's nice if you plan on getting both consoles at some point.

I see you don't wanna play MKX...Good luck not playing the hottest thing in the FGC right now. You also seem rather young. You should get your priorities straight. NOBODY crowdfunds Youtube channels for nobodies. Not to mention, ALMOST beating one top player in a Netplay match isn't a feat to behold....