Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kumlekar

[CT-CS1] Carl vs. Hakumen

Concentrate on staying out of his range at all times. Your 5C will hit him during the start up and recovery of his moves if you're out of his range. But it'll whiff if he's just standing there. But that is the best zoning tool you have. If he airdashes at you from a high elevation you may be able to pull of a 6A. Other than that if he jumps at you, you have to block. Nothing you have will stop him from jumping in on you (if Nirvana is not around) so don't try anything. Take it like a man. You'll be forced to block at lot of stuff. FD everything because your guard will break in no time. When you manage to sandwich him in blockstrings or attack strings he'll be fishing for counters. To avoid this, when you're going for a reset, just pause for a second. He'll do the counter and then you can punish him for it. But most importantly just stay out of his range and zone with 5C. He'll be looking for nirvana to activate and do a move. Thats usually when Hakumen will swing to hit her. To bait this, just press and release D for nirvana to activate and then quickly go back in to standby mode. If Hakumen swings at her, and hopefully misses, that is your time to airdash in for the pressure. This matchup I think is 5-5. If not then this is in Hakumen's favor. 6-4.

I hate this matchup if hakumen decides to turtle and stay away to gain meter, then come in and unleash a bunch of overheads/lows/whatnot then runs away again. Block wrong once, you lose a lot of life. Airdashing in recklessly = get 6A 5C 236A 6C which is pretty painful on carl. Also, don't depend too much on 236236D blocked mixups. Theres actualy enough time for hakumen to counter in between the punches, and if carl is nearby, you get countered even if you're not hitting coz thats how hakumen's counter works. hard matchup since he can escape the loop... I'm not sure if you can 6A a jC from hakumen, i think its possible under certain situations but keep in mind one mistake = good bye life.

You can 6A is jC. Its just that the Hakumen has to airdash really high in the air or has to air dash at you when he's already close to you. In other words he has to be very stupid. A good hakumen wouldn't do this so you would hae to do what I mentioned earlier and well..... block.

I jump into H-man's J.C, InstantBlock and punish with either CH-J.A or Land, CH-6A

...Also, don't depend too much on 236236D blocked mixups. Theres actualy enough time for hakumen to counter in between the punches, and if carl is nearby, you get countered even if you're not hitting coz thats how hakumen's counter works.

My particular example actually punishes with hit. But, Zeero is right. Don't willingly pressure 236236]D[

I learned that the hard way last night. Wish I had checked this topic first. I thought for sure I had him, and BAM super counter, dead.

Geez, this is the only problem I have with Carl - Hakumen. I've beaten every other character with Carl (even Nu-13!), hence I was able to fully complete Carl's Story Mode (as in 100%), but not his Arcade Mode (all because of Hakumen), so until now I have not yet unlocked Carl's Astral Move (he's the only one without Astral yet in my system).

Geez, this is the only problem I have with Carl - Hakumen. I've beaten every other character with Carl (even Nu-13!), hence I was able to fully complete Carl's Story Mode (as in 100%), but not his Arcade Mode (all because of Hakumen), so until now I have not yet unlocked Carl's Astral Move (he's the only one without Astral yet in my system).

I agree. Hakumen either sit back and wait for you to chase them (while their gauges fill) or attacks you head on (which isn't much of a problem unless their meter is filled...):gonk:

Instant Blocking will make or break this fight. Carl gets numerous InstantBlock, CounterHit A combos.

I keep rushing into Hakumen's 6C attack (and jC) and keep forgetting to block his second attack (the one that hits low). I gotta stop doing that...

Lololol This match-up is pretty much getting Haku to look for one thing, then doing another. You have speed, easier traps, and more reliable approach methods. He has mindgames, though. =( I need to fight TxP or another good Haku again, so I can post my actual views on this match-up, rather than what I've learned from playing okay Hakus.

from the hakumen side of things, i can tell you what i'm thinking the entire time during this match. if carl jumps in in front of nirvana, 6A. if he jumps in behind nirvana, 6C. if he jumps to try to air throw me, either air throw myself (pretty sure hakumen's has more range) or hotaru (which will beat anything you have air to air). and in the situation of a ground approach, be prepared to hit carl before he can get nee san behind me (dash cancelled hotaru, 6B/throw, etc). if you ask me, your best chance at winning this matchup is to sandwich hakumen whenever you can, but be wary of instant blocks (like, fucking bait them because if you don't you're taking 4.5k unburstable from a 5D/2D) and be careful not to give him enough space to get out if he's barrier guarding (if i'm given enough room to dash forward, you're eating a dash cancelled hotaru). i don't play carl at all but from what i've experienced in my matches against phaethonh, he usually closes any space i may have to escape with nirvana's multi hit forward lunge thing followed by j.2C. and this usually works, unless i ib and 6D his j.2C anyways.

If haku get's you with a counter super. You have time and visual to RC. But tension doesn't get spent and you are still screwed. Have not tried super canceling tho. =/

yukikaze (counter super) is pretty peculiar with its properties. if you use it within the first ten frames of a wakeup tech, even against projectiles it activates the followup instantly and is guaranteed (japanese players call this "true yukikaze" or something like that). likewise, if hakumen times it down to the very frame that his opponent's move connects, the followup is also guaranteed (depending though, if it's a projectile or not, if you were in recovery anyways, etc). however, in many cases the kind of players who use yukikaze are just mashing it out, hence why people are able to RC/jump out of it most of the time. quite frankly, outside of the two situations listed above, yukikaze is pretty worthless. ultimately, whether or not you can get out of it in certain situations is something you'll have to test in training mode with your friend who plays hakumen. on a related note, if hakumen catches you with his 2D (low counter), you have enough time to input your gear super and land it as a counter hit (while making your hakumen buddy pull out a knife and stab you in a blind fit of rage).

on a related note, if hakumen catches you with his 2D (low counter), you have enough time to input your gear super and land it as a counter hit (while making your hakumen buddy pull out a knife and stab you in a blind fit of rage).

:D :D :D

on a related note, if hakumen catches you with his 2D (low counter), you have enough time to input your gear super and land it as a counter hit (while making your hakumen buddy pull out a knife and stab you in a blind fit of rage).

wait a second, are you sure? Even if Carl uses the i-frames on cantata to dodge the follow-up to the counter, you should still be invincible for the entire recovery of the counter. So you should be able to counter a second time or just block. Is this just a glitch or something?

I prefer the magic explanation. :v: Interesting... when I see a replay usually, it has the players' names, but this has neither.

You have to be connected to XBL to have the names shown. I was capturing while at school, so yeaaaaah, no intarwebz. I'll put the names in later, tho. Just need enough free time.

ohhh wait I see what happens now, I didn't realize carl had no i-frames at all on cantata. That's what was confusing me. so the super goes off even though he's hit with the counter, and if the counter successfully goes off there is some recovery. That's pretty interesting.

Just want to throw out there that using gear super when haku is not in the corner and stuck in block string the entire time is a very bad idea. Shippu will land if they space themselves correctly (not very hard) and they'll get knocked back for like 100 dmg and you'll receive a yummy 4k dmg. (and if they don't block and have to space themselves at all they could even charge it to the max depending on reaction time....)

If haku get's you with a counter super. You have time and visual to RC. But tension doesn't get spent and you are still screwed.

Have not tried super canceling tho. =/

Still haven't tried super canceling, BUT if you do use the "FREE RC" I referenced: You can now move Nirvana in hit stun. Real fucked up huh