Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vegta12

Accidental Venom Match-ups

Well, Titan is active, but I remember him saying something about not making a match-up section.......

LOL, no I'm not. Been having a really hard time getting back into GG honestly (my PS2 lagging on my TV isn't helping), but I'll try to do better. I think my reasoning for not doing a match-up thread was that I don't have much regular comp thus limiting my AC match-up knowledge, and that situation hasn't really changed :psyduck:

So what, you guys want a new thread or something? I don't really mind doing it, but you know yall can make threads too, rite? There's really no need to wait around on me =x

Also.....

I could try and ask him if he would like to mod these forums, but he doesn't really care much for them because our activity has always been shit.

QFT. If he ever wants my job, he's more than qualified for the position and I'd have no problem turning it over. But the general lack of activity here is the main reason I don't post much either.

Venom's a character that just doesn't lend himself well to modding. Everyone can play him very differently and be successful as we have all stated on this board, so to try and sit and come up with the "best advice" as one person is a massive chore, and probably not worth the effort (not because it wouldn't be appriciated, but because the range of correct ideas and theories with the character is so large). Honestly the burden is on us as a community of players to share your thoughts. Even if you think they are small or "incorrect" pipe up. A character with this much depth needs more input than most of them.

Honestly the burden is on us as a community of players to share your thoughts. Even if you think they are small or "incorrect" pipe up. A character with this much depth needs more input than most of them.

I second this. People just need to speak up and stop being lurkers. If you have a question, shout it out. If you have a suggestion, go for it. In the end, just use whatever works for you, but it's always nice to have all of our options laid out on the table so we can all pick and choose what we want to integrate into our Venom's playstyles.

Honestly the burden is on us as a community of players to share your thoughts. Even if you think they are small or "incorrect" pipe up. A character with this much depth needs more input than most of them.

I second this. People just need to speak up and stop being lurkers. If you have a question, shout it out. If you have a suggestion, go for it. In the end, just use whatever works for you, but it's always nice to have all of our options laid out on the table so we can all pick and choose what we want to integrate into our Venom's playstyles.

Not even one of you added or corrected anything to my baikon post.. There was one time where I posted wrong stuff back then bec i thought many people would respond but no one noticed it :vbang:

I have little to no matchup exp with Venom Vs. Baiken, or at least none since reload, so I wasn't bout to correct anyone on that.

I thought the guide was fairly well done. Likewise I haven't played the matchup enough to give you a thorough rundown. Most of what I know comes from watching videos, and that includes lots of single ball summons, 5S into Warp or 2D, always combo into CR loop or FB DHM, and use cross-up okis to mess up their counter inputs (I think you pretty much covered all of that). 5S -> block messes up Ouren pretty bad and Stinger cancel -> throw or HS Stinger FRC -> dash -> throw both work well. Really though, 2D is god in the matchup since it virtually dodges everything. You'll see lots of VE's purposely cancel into 2D to cover up moves with recovery and dodge counters. Warp is your best friend for crossups and dodging counters as well. The only thing I would argue, looking back at that post, is that she does not have low damage output :P We all noticed it bro, and thanks a lot for putting it up. We just need more people asking questions! (but if they don't have any then whatever) Does anyone know any secrets to fighting Jam? It's not impossible, but it feels like I get out-prioritized all the time. She also closes distance a lot faster than I'm comfortable with. So, the only time where I actually win is if I score a knockdown and put her on the defensive, or score a 6HS counter-hit and zone the crap out of her from full screen. Suggestions?

I actually find Venom's pokes beating Jam's pokes 65% of the time. (5s and 2s) In this matchup I'm patient and am mostly defensive and run-awayish , doing a lot of "scouting" with run-in-FD cancel (or just walk a bit in - stop). I try to avoid fighting her in air , although I don't completely disregard this scenario. A ball helps. If she pressures you with (whatever normals)-run in -(whatever normals. I don't remember what's her normal string) I try to snuff it with a 2k.

I actually find Venom's pokes beating Jam's pokes 65% of the time. (5s and 2s) In this matchup I'm patient and am mostly defensive and run-awayish , doing a lot of "scouting" with run-in-FD cancel (or just walk a bit in - stop). I try to avoid fighting her in air , although I don't completely disregard this scenario. A ball helps.

If she pressures you with (whatever normals)-run in -(whatever normals. I don't remember what's her normal string) I try to snuff it with a 2k.

Hm now that I think about it, 2S and 5S are really good against her. I think I'm mostly just getting hit cause I get impatient during her ground strings, or I jump around too much and get hit by puffball spam. I don't know if I can snuff her with 2K, cause I remember trying to poke her out of her strings and I kept getting counter-hit...probably just bad FDing on my part though; I'm still working on my anti-pressure abilities.

So what, you guys want a new thread or something? I don't really mind doing it, but you know yall can make threads too, rite? There's really no need to wait around on me =x

Hey Titan, I can't believe I missed this part. (Sorry for double post btw) But could we get a matchup sub-forum? I'll consolidate all the information on various matchups and post them all under character-specific threads. All we need is the sub-forum! <3

Some things regarding Jam match-up: - Her 6P will beat your 5S(f) at anything shy of max range (even when you hit the button first). FACT. Use with caution. - Your 2S will beat all of her ground normals AFAIK (maybe not 2P depending on spacing, but you shouldn't mash 2S that close anyway), or at worst trade with shit like her 5K and just reset positioning. 2S also avoids most IAD shit if your spacing is decent since Venom is relatively short while crouching, and it recovers fast enough that she can't IAD firekick you either. You have enough time to block, and if you IB it you can potentially punish (timing is hella tight though) or at least get your offense going. Biggest threat is random FB puffballs, I guess :thumbu: - 2HS >>>>> IAD firekick (not sure about the goofy cross-up one). AA CH 2HS, K ball, dash in 6P, 6HS, DC. If it's at the start of the round it's pretty easy to react to, and you can charge a CR for more silly shit. Just make sure you don't do it too early, since the move hits deceptively late. Venom actually has some good shit against her, but she just does so much more damage than you can for no good reason. Even when you do score knockdowns, she has parries and a DP that make it kinda hard to get some decent oki going without a lightning ball. Having to be paranoid of random FB puffballs once she gets bar is pretty lame too =/

Some things regarding Jam match-up:

- Her 6P will beat your 5S(f) at anything shy of max range (even when you hit the button first). FACT. Use with caution.

- Your 2S will beat all of her ground normals AFAIK (maybe not 2P depending on spacing, but you shouldn't mash 2S that close anyway), or at worst trade with shit like her 5K and just reset positioning. 2S also avoids most IAD shit if your spacing is decent since Venom is relatively short while crouching, and it recovers fast enough that she can't IAD firekick you either. You have enough time to block, and if you IB it you can potentially punish (timing is hella tight though) or at least get your offense going. Biggest threat is random FB puffballs, I guess :thumbu:

- 2HS >>>>> IAD firekick (not sure about the goofy cross-up one). AA CH 2HS, K ball, dash in 6P, 6HS, DC. If it's at the start of the round it's pretty easy to react to, and you can charge a CR for more silly shit. Just make sure you don't do it too early, since the move hits deceptively late.

Venom actually has some good shit against her, but she just does so much more damage than you can for no good reason. Even when you do score knockdowns, she has parries and a DP that make it kinda hard to get some decent oki going without a lightning ball. Having to be paranoid of random FB puffballs once she gets bar is pretty lame too =/

TITAN I LOVE YOU. Thanks for the sub-forum, we will make good use of it.

I didn't know that 2HS beat out firekick, that'll come in handy (although most of the time it is the goofy cross-up one >.<).

TITAN I LOVE YOU. Thanks for the sub-forum, we will make good use of it.

I didn't know that 2HS beat out firekick, that'll come in handy (although most of the time it is the goofy cross-up one >.<).

The more I thought about it, the more unnecessary it seemed for the level of activity of this forum. Plus I prefer to just look at one thread to see what problems people are having with match-ups instead of digging though 20. But whatever, we'll see what happens.

Btw, 2HS also beats cross-up firekick, but it has to be done kinda early (like as soon as you realize Jam is on the other side of you).

The more I thought about it, the more unnecessary it seemed for the level of activity of this forum. Plus I prefer to just look at one thread to see what problems people are having with match-ups instead of digging though 20. But whatever, we'll see what happens.

Btw, 2HS also beats cross-up firekick, but it has to be done kinda early (like as soon as you realize Jam is on the other side of you).

Ah, I see what you mean now. I just thought it'd be easier to organize things this way so that people won't have to search through the entire thread for fragments of matchup information. I'm expecting much more contribution from our fellow members, so hang tight.

how to play against eddie? :S

this was best i could do with pad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kciFMK4TZ4U

fb dhm was supposed to be tk ms :D

Heya Jakestation. Everything I'm about to tell you comes from personal experience and observing Japanese match videos.

-The key is to stay mobile and NOT GET HIT. Remember not to be overly jump happy, or at least be aware of little Eddie's HS anti-air if you do. Any knockdown will lead to the long ass string followed by unblockables x N or various other pressure options.

-Score that knockdown. Both characters are weak in the "get out of pressure" department, so whoever starts the rain first has a huge upper-hand in the match.

-Watching Japanese videos, Kball followed by j.HS is an awesome way to snipe down little Eddie if your opponent isn't ontop of things (like covering him with drills).

-Trying to zone with balls is okay, but watch out for Drunkard Shade. Hitting angled balls helps with this, because they'll bounce downwards instead of straight back at you.

-Once little Eddie is low on meter or gone, start the pressure. Without little Eddie, Zato has absolute crap options for escaping, so just rain on his ass till he cracks.

I don't know the matchup well-enough to give you normal vs. normal breakdowns, but I can tell you that if you're trading hits close range vs Eddie and you lose, you're going to get hurt a lot. Most of how I hit Eddie just comes out of him cracking under pressure, throws, and IADing to punish drill attempts.

Hope this helps.

Heya Jakestation. Everything I'm about to tell you comes from personal experience and observing Japanese match videos.

-The key is to stay mobile and NOT GET HIT. Remember not to be overly jump happy, or at least be aware of little Eddie's HS anti-air if you do. Any knockdown will lead to the long ass string followed by unblockables x N or various other pressure options.

-Score that knockdown. Both characters are weak in the "get out of pressure" department, so whoever starts the rain first has a huge upper-hand in the match.

-Watching Japanese videos, Kball followed by j.HS is an awesome way to snipe down little Eddie if your opponent isn't ontop of things (like covering him with drills).

-Trying to zone with balls is okay, but watch out for Drunkard Shade. Hitting angled balls helps with this, because they'll bounce downwards instead of straight back at you.

-Once little Eddie is low on meter or gone, start the pressure. Without little Eddie, Zato has absolute crap options for escaping, so just rain on his ass till he cracks.

I don't know the matchup well-enough to give you normal vs. normal breakdowns, but I can tell you that if you're trading hits close range vs Eddie and you lose, you're going to get hurt a lot. Most of how I hit Eddie just comes out of him cracking under pressure, throws, and IADing to punish drill attempts.

Hope this helps.

Also anti-airing the eddie is not very good choice, he got the tools to come and kick your butt. You got a lot better chance by air to air fight, j.p j.d beats most of his attacks :)

if the little eddie is low on meter or gone, most likely eddie got about 50% tension at least and he can start with FB drill, and basic blockstrings and reset it with new fb drill. Once you get away from that shit and you are ready to kick his butt, the mini is ready again :P

Also anti-airing the eddie is not very good choice, he got the tools to come and kick your butt. You got a lot better chance by air to air fight, j.p j.d beats most of his attacks :)

Yep. Eddies will try and bait your 6P all day with fly-mode and his j.S is pretty damn good and will often times trade if not beat out an improperly-timed 6P.

I don't know where to post this, but I was playing recently against a bunch of people. The thing that stuck in my mind was the match-up against Sol, namely in the mid-range.

I can't seem to hit any buttons as my attack will be stuffed by his Gun Flame. I would create distance between me and the Sol to set some balls and harass from far range, but he can keep up with his own airdash. I'd appreciate some advice on what to do.

I don't know where to post this, but I was playing recently against a bunch of people. The thing that stuck in my mind was the match-up against Sol, namely in the mid-range.

I can't seem to hit any buttons as my attack will be stuffed by his Gun Flame. I would create distance between me and the Sol to set some balls and harass from far range, but he can keep up with his own airdash. I'd appreciate some advice on what to do.

Gunflame is 21 frames to start up, you have 2S which is only 8 (and f.S, which is 9). Not a reactionary situation, but I feel like you're not poking appropriately if Gun Flame is your mid range problem.

If you know he's going to airdash blindly, anticipate and react with 6p. If he's waiting for you to place a ball first, instead harass with Venom's charge moves or poke from f.S's max range.

There are other things that make Sol a problem matchup though (low profile is very annoying, great DP, etc.). It's not one I'm very experienced in, but hopefully that kind of basic advice can help for now.