Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XDest

[CT-CSE] Taokaka Organizing Drive Cancels and Movement

I feel this should be properly done, since some Tao players don't know every possible option of moving with the drive cancels. There are a LOT of possible options, many of them very similar.

Let's start with a normal explanation first.

D~5: Hits the opponent, goes backwards

D~6: Hits the opponent, goes forwards

D~A: Stops in place. Can be used on hit or not.

D~B: Goes through the opponent. Has extra horizontal range. D~B [hit] is advantageous, D~B [block] is unsafe. Safety on whiff will always depend on how close you end up being. Can be used on hit or not.

D~C: Jumps up, then stays in the air.

What can you air dash after?

Pretty much anything that isn't D~A or grounded D~B, except for 2D in the air and jumping 4D. You will have access to two air dashes, providing you didn't use them up before the drive. You have the option to do 66 66 go forward twice, 44 44 to go back twice, 44 66 to go backwards then forwards, and finally 66 44 to go forwards then backwards.

Here's a direct list:

- [any] D~C

- (ground) 2D~B or 5

- (air) 8D~B or 5

- j.D~B or 5

- 4D~B

- 7 or 9 grounded, obviously, but not double jump.

Might be a couple I'm missing. You can still use any downwards or horizontal drives if you've used up all your jumps.

Getting up really freaking high

Here's a couple of things you can use to get up higher than most characters can.

7 or 9 -> 8D -> 8D

7 or 9 -> j.D~C -> j.D~C -> 8D -> 66 or 44

Crossing Up

The following things cross up.

- D~B ([hit], usually combo'd into) Follow up with a fast grounded move. Caution!! I'll say it a billion times, D~B [block] is unsafe. If you're hitting somebody with it, you're lucky that their reactions are slow.

- 2D~B (close, the cancel will turn your back regardless) Follow up with a j.C or j.A. Things done here will usually hit the head. Keep this in mind for moves weak to headshots. Note: doesn't work on Tager.

- 2D~B 66 (the first air dash will keep your back turned.) Follow up with a j.C or j.A. Things done here will usually hit the head. Keep this in mind for moves weak to headshots.

- j.D~B (over their head, not blocked). Still quite a bit of recovery time.

- j.66 44 will go over their head and return to them, still takes quite a bit of time. Generally the same height as 2D~B and 2D~B 66.

D~C 66 66 will also turn you around, but generally isn't fast enough.

Probably a couple of obvious crossups I'm forgetting.

Remember that if you don't think it'll hit you can always use your double air dashes.

Also remember you can always use double air dashes to retreat whenever something is blocked that naturally ends in a drive.

For covering a lot of horizontal ground

- Double air dashes

- 4D~B

- j.4D, j.4D~B

- 214D into any of these.

- D~B and j.D~B with the B cancel delayed as late as possible

Once again, probably missing quite a bit, will update.

I'll continue this list later, just a bit of a start.

Good stuff. Regarding Tao's crossup abilities, you can instant airdash and land a cross-up j.b or a cross-up j.C on standing opponents that usually have a big/mid sized hitbox (Tager, Hakumen, Ragna, Bang and even Litchi if I am not wrong). Just 99(or a quick 8->66) from the ground when you're at around 5C range from them and do j.B (j.C works on Tager), it'll hit them behind. Be careful when doing it against Tager, only do it when you know you're not going to eat a backdash+buster. In general a IAD->crossup j.b is a good tool in your mixup game and may score some nice counterhits if the opponent was mashing one of their pokes thinking that you'd approach them from the front. I still need to try the IAD j.B as meaty on okizeme, and see on which characters it's convenient to perform on.

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but I just figured this out after messing with j.2d~c a while in training mode. It seems you can only use 2 total ~a/b/c drive cancels while in the air, much the same way you're limited to two 8d drives. For example, you can't do j.2d~c -> j.2d~c -> j.2d~a, you're limited to j.2d~c -> j.2d~a. As several videos show, though, you can land on the ground in the middle of your combo and go back into the air for more ~a/b/c cancels. I think the limit applies the whole time you're in the air, but there's a slight chance it could just limit you to two ~a/b/c cancels in a row. Obviously, there's no limit on ~6 cancels.

The easy way to understand using drive cancels, "For each drive cancel you use, you use one jump. Think of the jumps." Edit: Great explanations XDest. :3