Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RedBeard

General Johnny Questions

It doesn't look like they're up on youtube. Best I can give you is a nico video link:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm5231772

You'll need a user/pass to watch, but it's free and pretty easy to do. To watch the subsequent matches, you can click on the blue links above the vids that all look like this: "sm2303956" or whatever number.

Here's the post from the Guilty Pleasures forum:

http://dustloop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=320231&postcount=580

I have a question, i've been watching some Johnny combo vids and on wakeup for a mindgame the player would use J.H really close to the ground and then use a low attack. Utilizing this does it make you fall faster or is this used as just a mindgame can anyone share anything and enlighten me on this? Since Johnny is limited I want to add more to my arsenal as much as I can.

It doesn't change anything about the speed at which Johnny falls, but depending on how soon you put out j.H it'll either hit or whiff. Using that to mix up your opponent on whether they should block high or low on wake up is the point.

Breaking guard as in mixups? Johnnys mixup options are very very very small, j.s / j.k / j.hs crossups are risky, as well as tk ensenga. tk ensenga requires 50% tension to combo off of, and j.X crossups require tension for jackhound in most cases. Johnnys 5k is good for punishment off of alot of attacks, you really wont find yourself hitting too many people with mixups. Luckily however, johnny was given a pretty good throw game, so scaring someone into blocking during a MC dash throw or coin dash throw is a very good option. 2D > MC > 5D is ok because even if the 5D is blocked you wont be punished for it unless its instant blocked or slashbacked, which is rare from what ive learned. Throwing a tk ensenga here and there from proper range can confuse people into thinking you're going to do it all the time when you're at the range for it, and can allow openings for lmfs if theyre looking for the tk. I've learned to focus more on making someone scared to poke out of pressure, because if a 5k lands with a MF level, its 200+ damage. If they're scared to poke, they leave themselves open for throws. Learn throw combos that end with enkasus for mists and recoins, put the opponent into a state of panic and you have a much larger list of options available.

Breaking guard as in mixups?

Johnnys mixup options are very very very small, j.s / j.k / j.hs crossups are risky, as well as tk ensenga. tk ensenga requires 50% tension to combo off of, and j.X crossups require tension for jackhound in most cases.

hey 10, i agree with most of the stuff posted but just out of curiosity, what does JH has to do with j.s cross-ups? do u have a sample combo i can try learning from? that almost sounded like JH crosses up.

thanks, :D

hey 10, i agree with most of the stuff posted but just out of curiosity, what does JH has to do with j.s cross-ups? do u have a sample combo i can try learning from? that almost sounded like JH crosses up.

thanks, :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjTRATWzRhU

The videos being processed by youtube, its only 45 seconds or so, but its just to show what crossups can be done after a knockdown (preferrably a 2d) I normally jump cancel my dash after a knockdown so i can be pushed passed my opponent a little bit.

Since johnny sure as hell isnt Ky, and his crossups can be reacted to (or even be seen in patterns if used too much) Pause the backdash and you wont cross them up, but due to GGACs changes to where attacks hit (aka j.s j.k hits slightly behind johnny) you can still apply pressure and land safely, unless they wakeup reversal, which in that case it would have been better to simply do the crossup.

Edit: Video is finished being processed and the samples are available.

I have the biggest problem trying to get KJ connect at its early point, after a blockstring-KJT. And because of this, I always end up wasting 50% tension trying to FRC after KJ due to off timing. I'm not good at recognizing frames, and this could be one of my problems. Any advice on this would be great!

Are you having problem's linking HS into a KJT>KJ? Or are you having problems with FRCing the KJ? Know that the FRC on a KJ out of KJT is different then an air KJ. KJT>KJ(frc) is a couple frames latter.

I have problems with linking the HS into KJT>KJ. I'll do a blockstring ending in HS, buffer the KJT during the start-up of the HS animation, and can't tell when to press S to connect HS>KJT>KJ. Pointers????? I didn't know that the KJT>KJ(FRC) was different than KJ in air. I'll take that to account. Thanks for the info!

Like FRC's, the HS>KJT>KJ link is just practice. There's no trick to it. If it doesn't combo, then you're doing it too late. If it whiffs, then you're either doing it too early, or you're not close enough. If you don't get the KJ at all, then you're doing it too early.

After a quick training session, I see that I just need to keep practicing. I was pressing S too late after KJT & I was trying to frc after my KJT>KJ too fast. Soon, this will all become part of my muscle memory, and I can start to polish my lvl 3 MC. Thanks again 4r5!

Forgive me in advance if this seems like a question that shouldn't go here, but can someone explain to me in detail the essence of what a Jump Install is? I've read it in the Gameplay section and I'm having trouble making sense of it...would be great if someone had a video or something so I can visually make sense of it. Thanks.

as in.. u get the green circle before u iad...supposely faster than iad since u take off faster but i've not been able to do it consistently.

oh, like a 1-frame jump into an AD? Shrug, sounds like something programmable joysticks do. What's the motion suppose to be? I guess I'll look in to it when I wake up. Or you can try asking in The Foundation.

so.. anyone has any tip on getting consistent mcing to fd iad?

kill: go read the guide posted at the dustloop splash page. basically it allows u to extend ur combos and mix-ups because u are able to store up a jump/dash for use in the middle of combo.

http://www.dustloop.com/ggac/tech/ji.html

This is what I read actually...thanks for replying JO, but do you or anyone else have links to any match/combo videos where Johnny uses JI? The examples using characters I'm not familiar with didn't help me understand any better. Sorry if this seems a bother in advance.

quick example: if you do 5K5H>421S>S(FRC) you'll find that you can't doublejump or airdash after the FRC, even though you are in the air. but if you do 5K85H>421S>S(FRC) then you can. You're jump canceling your K, but gatlinging into H before you jump. You haven't actually jumped, but the game has gone ahead any given you your doublejump and airdash options. So should you some how find yourself in the air (as the case with KJT>KJ(frc)) you will be able to do so. same premise with 42147S(FRC). The 7 is your jump, but you cancel the jump startup with the KJT. You did a jump, but didn't jump, but the game has you labeled as jumping; Jump-Install. Thus allowing you to doublejump and airdash after the KJT(frc).

not a worry.. go check out the older reload or slash matches.. anytime u see JO doing DBFRC combos they are mostly JI'd. I did a quick youtube search and it comes up with this reload JO combo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ms66AFTKgE

hs, mist finer lvl2 mid, then dash 5k(8), hs dbfrc ksksde

first, remember that 5k is jump-cancelable. meaning that if u hold up after 5k jo can jump up rit away as oppose to something like 5hs...where u'd have to wait til the move is completed and the char has returned to neutral stance before u can perform the jump.

because he jumpinstalled (JI'd) the 5k by holding up after inputing 5k and let it gattled into the 5hs he was able to store a jump to use after the frc. So in the case of the combo ks, jump cancel, ksde was made possible thanks to the JI.

i dont find myself using JI in combo that much in AC since JO's kjfrc reset the jump anyways.

However,where its still useful is during the dbt > db frc / kjt > kj frc mix setups.

If you have JI'd (whether by holding up after starting a Jump cancelable normal into gattling or from doing the tigerknee (ending input with 9 or 7)). JO will be able to face his opponent as he do the frc and that lead to more cross-up/mix-up opportunities.

Other options to explore utilize the extra jump/dash.. IE. after an airthrow u can tk dbt dbfrc into ad and land into a low hit.. the mix-up here is the ad because the opponent has to guess if u are going to continue high (ie. j.hs) or low (2k) or even a throw. i can look up a cv for u later tonite to clarify the usage of mix-up from JI'd dbfrc/kjfrcs.

hope that helps

Jump installing allows you to jump in situations you otherwise wouldnt. Aka: You do 5k > 5h > KJT-KJFRC > j.S. From here, you cant do anything but j.h > kj frc > bnb, or j.h > j.d > ensenga. If instead, you do this: 5k > 8 > 5h > KJT-KJFRC > j.S You can do j.S > dj.S > dj.HS > KJFRC > dj.s > tj.s > tj.h > tj.d > ensenga It does this because 5k is jump cancelable. So when you do 5k then hit 8, the engine reads that you canceled 5k into a jump. However, if you cancel the jump into a 5h, and the jump never happens - you instead trick the game into thinking you've jumped once and are already aerial, so the engine thinks that you have a double jump still available. Because of that, when you do a move that puts you in the air then FRC or RC it, that double jump still exists and can be used. Edit: well i didnt read this page xD so 4r5 cleared this up before i posted this.

Thank you everyone; this has been extremely helpful. Something JOFan said interestes me though; JI combos are moot due to KJT>KJ FRC resetting the jumps anyway? So in that case, how viable are is JI for mixup purposes?

Thank you everyone; this has been extremely helpful. Something JOFan said interestes me though; JI combos are moot due to KJT>KJ FRC resetting the jumps anyway? So in that case, how viable are is JI for mixup purposes?

The KJ in KJT is different from a standalone KJ. The KJ in KJT does not reset your jump option, so you are forced to JI it for both mixup, and regular combo purposes.