Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RedBeard

[AC] AC: Matchup Guide/Discussion

You shouldnt have much a problem takign on faust since you jS and J.HS is timed right pwns him. and if he starts to do the Air bag explosion/item throws and stay in the air, Just air throw him. Watch out cause he can wake up FB which led to Zinac doing some nasty combos on me.

I beg to differ on that... Faust is probably one of the hardest chars to fight against next to eddie and testament. Faust is just so hard to get in on... Constant item spam his air hs air bag everything he does pins you from getting to him.

I dont know about you, but i find air throwing faust pretty hard to come by. Air s and air hs.. not sure what you mean by that. His air HS will ripp you to shreds.

Every once in awhile, you can do a 6k and it'll go under a few things, like Faust far 5S, and I can't think of much else. All Faust can when you throw that out is do an anticipated 6p, which is hard if he's trying to zone to keep you down. Even though Faust can go under your 5k, it's still pretty good as a pressure tool if you're up close. You might be forced to do a zoning game within your 5h/6h attack zone if your kicks keep missing, or poking with 2s or any of the hard slashes. The main thing I would avoid against Faust is going in the air unless it's an air throw setup, a combo already, or just doing tk ensenga. Faust out-prioritizes you in the air so much it's retarded. Oh, and 6ping Faust far 5s is pretty good if you can anticipate it.

Johnny can also 6k under moves like Axl's 5p. Anyways, Johnny has to be pretty careful against Faust. Sure, you can 6p some stuff here and there if you're looking for it, which helps, but the hardest part of course is just getting close to the guy. I use 5hs a lot when in range because it's one of the few rewarding moves that will not miss Faust if he's crouching, standing or starting to jump (Faust 5k>Johnny 5hs, Faust 5k<Johnny 6p). I try to create some pressure using that and coins to build up guard gauge, and then hit him with something (throw, tk ensenga, delayed attacks, upper MF/6k against jumpers). If Faust is AAing you from the ground, you might be able to do air dash Killer Joker frc combo against 5k/6p AA if the timing is ok...might be more trouble than it's worth but it has saved me in many matches against other characters.

I beg to differ on that... Faust is probably one of the hardest chars to fight against next to eddie and testament. Faust is just so hard to get in on... Constant item spam his air hs air bag everything he does pins you from getting to him.

I dont know about you, but i find air throwing faust pretty hard to come by. Air s and air hs.. not sure what you mean by that. His air HS will ripp you to shreds.

Dude I would say axl is far more harder then Faust when it comes to zoning. While as Faust has J.hs, JO has j.S which comes out quicker Im sure. If he keeps spamming the air bag, jsut jump FD into them till u get close or he gets hit by it if you cant air throw.

Oh and fighting Eddie is down right hard now in AC, as for testament hes easier. Im just going with info on fighting Youngs fking baddass Eddie, and fraileys bad ass testament. If anyone knows how to stop Eddies unblockables, that would really help me.

Testament is about the same as he always was, and Faust used to be harder for Johnny than Axl, but they're probably both just as hard for him now in AC due to Axl's long range being buffed. In Slash Johnny just raped the shit out of Axl once he got up close and it was a lot easier to get close to Axl in Slash than it is in AC. Still not an easy matchup for JO but definitely better than vs. Faust in regards to Slash. JO's j.S is NOT as good as Faust's j.H. Faust's j.H is godlike and will stuff you in the air hardcore, especially after 2K FDC stuff. It basically sends a hitbox right across the middle of the screen and JO's j.S can't really be shot out at a low enough angle to compete with that. If he's tossing bomb bags all over the place then yeah, j.S can do you some good. But his j.H owns Johnny in the air for the most part.

I'm still having a tough time with Baiken. For now, could someone describe to me what her counters look like? I'm trying to follow 4r5's advice, but i don't know which counters are which. K = run counter slash = horizontal sword? HS = axe thingy that goes into the air? P=? which one is her superman one? and does that thing cross up? so basically 1)you do short strings/poke her outside of slash range (which is how far? so what attacks are at this distance?). 2) if she does the kick counter and runs up you do the delay forward trick block/atk 3)if she does HS counter you block->punish? 4)if she does the slash counter can you punish on block? All jump attacks are unsafe is she blocks correct?

K Counter= run behind counter (easy to punish. As a baiken player, this only works during multi hit atks, other wise baiken is open for atk). S Counter= sword horizontal stab (if the baiken player loves to spam it, just do pokes/ MC so you can block it and punish) HS Counter= Air flip around to Back and slice (Poke or MC strings, sometimes I can just MC and 5P her if im quick enough, I beleive you can back dash it to avoid the hit if I rememebr.) P Counter= Launches a daignol blade up into air.( Great for baiken to launch hard hitting combos but sometimes not to useful, kind hard to punish unless Baiken plainly misses). As for superman?!?!, Im guessing you mean the gaurd run. If so MC and just throw or do low hit like 2D. Dont let baiken jump on you so get rdy to MFp /MC

"Superman" is slang for Baiken's H counter...where she flies like Superman behind you. I'm too busy updating the guides to comment on the rest right now!

Seems some people find Testy not to be hard for johnny in AC. How is this so? I fight a really web whoring Testy player. Any insight on killing Testy? Cuz I would love nothing more than to crush Testy into the ground.

Against Testament, it think it is a game of patience and zoning, erase traps and dodge trees/EXE Beast, but when you get a hit and close the gap, unleash all the pain on him. Do not try to outpoke him blindly with 2D. His 2H beats it. Better do that in a gatling. Use a lot of j.S to erase the net and don't forget to FD if you have to land on a tree. They have a bigger hitbox than before, so beware. If you are fast on reaction and spot or predict a Zeinest or Hitomi, a MS~JcK might help you to get in and get a free combo. Good TE will play the distance and do the above special out of range. If there are no net or tree just in front of you, MS~dash~JcK may help to travel the distance, but it requires to know exactly where you'll land, otherwise you'll eat every traps he put. Don't do it on guard, cause you are at disavantage, only when you are sure to hit or can RC it. Most of the time, when TE just put traps everywhere and stay to the opposite side, I prefer to destroy the net, make the trees disappear by jumping over, jumping, late double jumping (in case there is an EXE besat), but also stay at distance and let the TE coming to me OR I see a breach for JcK to hit. But I won't rush or attack, he has too many traps already put in his corner. Better play the zoning game, IMO Godd knowledge of the range of all your pokes and specials is important when far away. j.S to destroy the nets or jump forward, falling j.S as close to the ground then if hit confirm > Ensenga then close the gap. Once you are on him, do not let him go, keep the pressure. His counter move might be a problem, but MC helps. On wake up, if you throw a coin, don't do it too late or his 2H will go through it. Otherwise, know to defend yourself against his EXE Beast FRC rush high/low mix up, then punish when you can (2H RC, 5K in a small gap in his pressure). Careful though as nets can absorb 1 or 2 frames of hit, meaning he has a net over him and you 5H or 6H hit for instance, it will "whiff" even though the blade will cross him. This is because of the net. He has a free combo afterwards, since you can't MC it. JO's Overdrive really helps when you spot a laggy move on your wakeup, such as a 6P (infamous overhead that looks like a low, a move you imperatively have to recognize), an EXE best not FRCed yet etc.

I reeeally want to read this and respond but just as a quick note: Testament's 6P now clashes with Johnny's OD due to Testament's 6P having lots of upper-body invulnerability. So unless he does a 2K on wakeup you just kinda wasted your tension. Also, Johnny's 2D will beat Testament's 2H. I use it all the time. Just if you do it too early then his wins but 2D stays out for a really long time and is a low hit so it will win most of the time.

Oh if you didnt know , tesy front eXe beast has active frames so he can do it on wake up and it wont go away on hit. Also if you see him do the tyipcal Behind exe beast FRC combo mix up, you can back dash out the back exe beast if you have the spacing. Done this 2 to 3 times before.

Thanks Mitsurugi and RedBeard. You both really gave me great knowledge that I needed. Now I know what to work on.:toot: Time to go Testy huntin. Btw: anything on properly using KJT and DBT? And FB Jackhound? Nice tip doomscyther.

Heck, against my fellow Tesu comrades in arms, their 6P never clashed with the OD, the Overdrive always connected. I should be more careful then, it may be because they mistimed it or are too close, thanks for the tip. Yeah, just checked for 2D punishing his 2H. Don't know why I said it earlier. I may have confused Testament's 2H with May's 3K which beats Johnny's 2D. :v:

This is what I do for KJT and DBT. 1. Mix it up in a combo, just the transport, and land and throw, lot fo times people think you will hit them with the extra part ^^. 2. When they hit you out of KFT or DBT before you come down, start FRCing them then, good for mixups. 3. You can use FB Jackhound against pokes, or projectiles. Like venom, you know he willsay do a typical setup and is about to hit balls or place them, then BAM, FBJH ftw. 4. Some times I hit people with like coutnerhit HS or k,s,hs then I FBJH, depending on how fast the person will shake out, I try to throw them when the damage resets. (the throw wont be part of the combo is what Im trying to say).

If you hit them with a MSJH, there are certain combos that are fairly unshakeable. I hesitate to call them guaranteed, because I haven't experimented with every level of stagger shake and so forth.

RedBread got a nice list of stagger combos in the Gameplay Specifics sticky. I wouldn't get too comfy with transport then throw. I use to rock that hard, back in the day. It totally stopped working as soon as people around me figured out that it has landing recovery. A trick you can throw out on people, ever once in a while, but not something you can rely on.

Usually what I thought was unshackable usually turned out i didnt shake hard enough, but some people dont count their shakes so they end on foward rather then blocking..

Btw If I may qoute something from 4r5 video he posted (4r5 vs Mr Mammation). ""Eddie can not safely summon Liitle Eddie into kick attack off a block string, is something I need to remember for the future."" Never noticed it before.

MSJH->Throw is pretty much 100% guaranteed. Even if they do wind up miraculously shaking it which I'm pretty sure is nearly impossible, I doubt they will be coordinated enough to pull off any defensive manuevers before you throw them. MSJH->5K is similarly difficult but not quite as guaranteed as throwing. I usually just go with the throw.

Why does Johnny have the advantage over Anji? Back in Slash, Anji was pretty annoying to deal with. Now in AC, Anji seems pretty tame. What I could tell, before all my good Anji competition switched over to other characters, is that I got GPed a lot less and that Anji had to choose either damage now, but no knockdown; or knockdown now and maybe damage latter. I dunno, just space yourself nicely and use a lot of low pokes.

Basically yeah...you'll be getting GPed a lot less and Anji generally has to chose knockdown or damage for his combos while in Slash he could get knockdown+damage all over the place. Now to get knockdown you have to give up a pretty nice chunk of damage a lot of times.

Johnny is one of the few characters that Anji can't launch with his force break rin after he lands a sweep (under normal conditions) which is VERY annoying. I don't know much about Johnny but I do know that neither of you wants to stay in the corner cause both characters have good pressure there and being on the receiving end is tough.

maybe this video 4r5 uploaded will help too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZnuDchNRI8

I dunno I'd have to see more Anji vs. Johnny matches to say anything because there are no really good Anji players in my area. I don't see why the matchup would be IN Johnny's favor though. If it is in his favor I don't think it's even 6-4.

Hey, anyone got anything on Johnny vs Potemkin? I need all I can get cuz I can't IB everything that ass Pot pulls out. I've been thinking if Pot goes for hammer fall I might go for KJT>KJ FRC>air combo or tk Ensenga or tk KJ FRC. And can't Pot get thrown out of Hammerfall? I'm going to check Pot's frame data for anything that's unsafe upon block. Edit: Damn! Just looked at the Pot frame data. I can't read that! Print's too small!

I fought sly moogles anji and some anji from alabama, Anji is not low tier. I would say Anji hasmaybe a 6-4 against JO cause of fujin loops and Anji has an unblockable giving certain conditions. GL dodging Potemkins many unblockables, all I could do was backdash on wake up to prevent some thigns but I played against Isaac and his fking potemkin is way top notch, dare I say the best. Nothing like doing an AID HS then potemkin backstep potemkin buster.

I know on pot you can do the old DB combo, like after lower lv2 mf do c.S-JI-5H-623SSfrc (pksde) ect or whatever you need to do to get a one hit. I still think its an even match tho IMO, although in AC your twice as fucked if he scores a knock down. also zone alot with j.S-ensenga.