Sign in to follow this  
RedBeard

AC: Gameplay Specifics

Has anyone ever used Ensenga as an oki? I did yesterday, and it worked; here's what happened: I was fighting my friend's Testament (:vbang: ) and it was towards the end of round 3. Throughout the match I'd been using 2D as oki every time I scored a knockdown on him, and when we were both down to a sliver of health I scored a lucky knockdown with DB. This time, I did TKensenga and won the match, because he blocked low as he woke up. I know that this must seem situational as Ensenga is very unsafe, but because of my success in this I was wondering if it might be a viable oki for Johnny in general?

Not really an oki setup or anything, it was more of a mind game. You trained him to respond to a situation a certain way. (blocking 2D on wakeup) Then latter exploited that response. (Ensenga on oki) If he's an astute player, then he would of cataloged that situation. (knocked down and low on life, watch for the Ensenga) Now that he's watching for the 2D or the tkEnsenga, you can stay ahead of him, by throwing him.

I see. While we're on the topic, what do you (or anyone) recommend for using as oki with Johnny? I use 2D mostly (MCed if blocked), but I'm trying out 3HS as I hear it beats some Shoryus on wake up. Suggestions?

I mostly do 2K or 5K, sometimes 2S or 3HS. 3HS will clash or hit many reversal DP's, but due to the spacing needed, it's pretty obvious when you're trying to do that. It's at least hard for most of the cast to reversal backdash it, so you tend to end up forcing a block. 2K and 5K are reversal-safe, more so 2K then 5K. Both are also plus frames on block (5K you need to MC2 it, for plus frames) and lead into useful gatlings. 5K is also jump-cancel-able. I try to shy away from big moves like 2D, HS, and 6HS. Big troubles if they backdash.

I'm trying to work on my basic air combos with Johnny and improve my JCs. I have seen it possible to jS > JC > jS but each time I try the opponent can tech out. I end up having to jS > JC > jK > jS. Is there a certain timing I don't know about with the slash? Similarly I have tried to get my opponent in an air combo after the throw or 6K but they almost always tech out when I am jumping after them. What is the trick to catching them? Maybe some tips on JC and air followups in general.

:bad:

I'm trying to work on my basic air combos with Johnny and improve my JCs. I have seen it possible to jS > JC > jS but each time I try the opponent can tech out. I end up having to jS > JC > jK > jS. Is there a certain timing I don't know about with the slash?

Similarly I have tried to get my opponent in an air combo after the throw or 6K but they almost always tech out when I am jumping after them. What is the trick to catching them?

Maybe some tips on JC and air followups in general.

It sounds to me like you are too slow in your execution of JC. When you land the first jS, you must immediately move to the JC jS in one fluid motion. In other words once you see the animation of the first jS connect, go right into the JC and button input at the same time. Do this and they won't be teching out anytime soon.

Also, in terms of comboing off throws and 6K: when throwing, there is a small amount of untechable time each character has before they can tech out; it is up to you to get to them before that happens. Typically the heavier, bigger the character the more time you have to catch them before they can tech (4r5 you can correct me if I am wrong on this). If you jump too early, you miss the first hit, too late and they've already teched out. So what you should do is go into Training Mode and throw the cast (or the characters you expect to fight on a regular basis) to figure out how soon after the throw you need to jump in order to combo. While doing this pay attention to the "beat" word that appears when you are comboing (it appears in the area the numbers do when combos are happening). if it is a dark hue, then your combo was not solid and a human player would have been able to tech out easily.

Above all, don't get discouraged. Johnny's a character with a significant learning curve. I too had trouble like yours when I started playing him, but after hours of practice my air comobs are so solid that when I fight my friends they go "shit" every time I get them into the air, because they know what's coming and really can't do much about it :bad:

if they are teching out, then you are either not jumping soon enough, not attack soon enough after your jump, or both. If you are following up with a double-jump, then you want to start your double jump when the move you are jump-canceling from hits. Then hit the button, for your next attack, immediately after you do your double-jump. For j.S>dj.S's case, it's not as lenient. You want to do double-jump when the j.S hits. Then pause ever so slightly, to allow hit-stop to pass, before hitting Slash. If you hit Slash during the hit-stop, the game will not except it, because you have not double-jump'ed. Your double-jump comes out after the hit-stop, from the first j.S, has ended. You can probably ignore the whole hit-stop deal, but I mentioned it in the off-chance that you may be doing it too fast. If you are trying to followup a combo with a jump attack from the ground, then you can't quite do it like with a double-jump. You have to take into account Johnny's jump startup, in a similar way that you handle the hit-stop in j.S>dj.S, by putting a slight pause between your jump and your attack. For throws, everyone has the same amount of untechability, weight does not matter. Also, there is no way to jump too early after a throw. However, it is possible to attack to early, depending on the followup and weight/hitbox. To start the standard throw combo, just hold 9 as you are throwing, then try to time you Kick to when Johnny leaves the ground. Once you get this timing down, it is the same for everyone. For 6K, you do the same as a throw. Hold 9 during the 6K, then hit Kick when Johnny leaves the ground. You can also Mist Cancel the 6K and do a dashing jump, which tends to lead into better combos.

Cool, thanks. I think I might of been hitting it too soon for some of the combos. Others I'll just have to practice more. Thanks. EDIT: I think I actually found my problem and it was that I wasn't hitting the enemy high enough. I would do the dj.s and the wouldn't tech until right after the s came out, but the sword would be right above them. Is there anyway to get them in the air higher for the dj.s or is that a character specific combo?

I just wanted to drop some info on you guys concerning Johnny's tension pulse. I'm sure some of you guys already know this, but I figured a few people might not.

Different characters have different tension pulse thresholds. Johnny happens to have the highest. (Link)

In short: Johnny's tension gain can become freakish. I know you're thinking "No shit, Kadius." But you might have known that there's a limit to his tension pulse from just comboing and moving around aggressively. You have to instant block or slash-back to get it really going. It's kind of a hidden little trait of his.

Tested this in training mode, walking from starting position until the dummy is completely backed into the wall. Full life, 0% tension to start

No IB/SB: ~60% tension

1 IB: ~65% tension

1 IB, 1 SB: ~75% tension

1 IB, 2 SB: 75% tension before corner, 100% about 2 seconds after

3 SB: ~90% tension

In short:

More instant blocking/slash-back = more tension, quicker.

Slash-back > IB

Walking is good.

Edit: Not sure on all the numbers, but they're in the general ballpark. Slash-back seems to have twice the effect that instant blocking does. Also: Tension pulse effects how much tension you gain off of combos. 6K, MC, j.K, j.S, dj, j.S, Ensenga seems to do about 20% or less tension from a fresh start. With one slash-back, it's boosted to 25+%. I don't know if this is true or not, since it's nigh impossible to have 0% tension when I'm testing this, think I'll ask and see if anyone has a more in depth knowledge of this.

Edit 2: Doing the math (reading the framedata), it comes out to 18.96 tension. Yet after a single slash-back, it's at least 25%...

Here's a good Johnny Okizeme tactic that I use sometimes. If you land a 2D midscreen, then you can MC it and jump on the enemy as they're getting up. When OKI, Jump on opponent: - land and do 2.k. - land and grab - before landing do j.S Here's what you do when you're crossing up the opponent while not getting a perfect oki, but you still had enough time to get a full jump on them w/o having them blatantly air grab you, MASH HS+4or6 while landing, 1 of 4 things can happen, you will either do an airgrab if they jump and don't counter it, you will either get a techgrab in the air, you will land and grab them, or you will land and get a techgrab on the ground. <-- this only works if you are close enough to the ground to have the HS come out but not hit the opponent as they're standing there. So it comes out but it gets cancelled by the landing animations.

Sign in to follow this