Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jais

[AC] Bridget Video Discussion Thread

Although I must explain. Kyle is my twin brother and as you can see my zoning gets...out patienced

Been there :P

I wish I could comment insightfully but I don't have any May experience in AC (I use her, but I've never played against her).

I have noticed though that this is a matchup where good Bridgets seem to fuck around with a lot of the different yo-yo sets and I'm seeing mostly a couple (j.3set all over the place!). I have the same difficulty that you do with pixie characters, especially if they're playing defensively rather than balls-out aggro, and generally I've found it's helpful to not actually use the yo-yo as much as against someone like I dunno Johnny. That is to say, since fast characters are likely to escape poke strings into yo-yo special moves into poke strings etc, it's more beneficial to set the yo-yo out and just kinda let it chill there. The problem is that they're so fast that they have too many options for which zones to occupy at any given point, and they'll be able to change that faster than you can react to at times. The idle yo-yo increases the range of your whiff punishment and makes their options much more obvious because everything is so much more dangerous. I feel like I'm not explaining myself very well, but the concept is simple I guess. So when you play Kyle, pay attention to how little time you give the yo-yo before you turn it into something else. Also notice how he's making and covering distance. Backwards IADs, dashing pokes, anticipatory whiffs... which is only in his favor if you don't have some way to punish it on reaction, even if only by forcing him to block.

But in this specific case I mean May is like so retarded and Kyle is good so I don't know how much help I can be :P

Jais nice buri, but you play a bit too defensively IMO. Try being a bit more aggressive and take some risk.

...are you even serious? Slymoogle is my roommate, we play each other everyday. We both, utterly, know what each other is capable of. You put a camera on us, we both fear because the last thing we want to do is have a vid of us being risky and dumb (getting away with scrubby shit and making each other look bad). I'll accept a, lol don't fear. =P

You, also, have to understand: playing Bridget with your local crew, you can't get away the aggressive, rushdown, and unsafe pokes that you can against an unexperienced crew.

Basically saying. he knows the match-up. I know the match-up. we both feared. I was out played. "kicked my ass"

...are you even serious? Slymoogle is my roommate, we play each other everyday. We both, utterly, know what each other is capable of. You put a camera on us, we both fear because the last thing we want to do is have a vid of us being risky and dumb (getting away with scrubby shit and making each other look bad). I'll accept a, lol don't fear. =P

You, also, have to understand: playing Bridget with your local crew, you can't get away the aggressive, rushdown, and unsafe pokes that you can against an unexperienced crew.

Basically saying. he knows the match-up. I know the match-up. we both feared. I was out played. "kicked my ass"

yes im serious. I wouldnt bother typing anything if i wasnt. Dont need to act like im some newb Buri.. been playing him as main since XX days with Blitz as a rival. Anyways its just my insight so take it for what its worth. But three negative penalties by Sly, and still unable to take advantage of this is just ;/.

I think the problem was you had no tension. You probably had less tension than sly during the whole match eventhough he had 3 np. You didnt even starship once to even let sly feel uneasy about doing shit to you.

Oh and sly.. no need to backdash multiple times when he is holding the yo yo. I know its gay but its best to just wait it out or walk back and forth building a little tension. Negative penalty is so meh. Im amazed you got 3 lol, cause I cant remember when I got my last NP. Props for you for still putting the pressure ftw though.

And before you take offense to any of this, let me remind you its just my personal feeling about that one match. I am not trying to belittle you whatsoever, but just giving some advice.

James, you know... bridget in XX and #R was far more capable of aggression, with faster sets, better normals, and better damage for taking the risks. Now, bridget does shit damage, and the risk isn't even worth the reward when there's more risk (slower sets, worse normals, etc) and less reward (shit damage). But I do have to say, Jais, that in this particular instance, you were being far too defensive, to the point where you missed opportunities to get in a mixup or start pressure with minimal risk. Risk reward is part of the game, it's not scrubby. How you manage that risk is what is important here, you have to maximize the reward. And, the reward is not always getting the damage or knockdown... sometimes, it's just getting inside their head and creating doubt. From what I can tell, kyle is simply doing this far better than you. Oh, and more starship.

I appreciate the input. EDIT: I am curious about the, kyle is getting inside their head and creating doubt. better than you comment. Mays risk reward off a HS is absurd, having a command grab that does 50% life, by sheer definition, makes a May player far better off "in their head" than not having one.I can't see how Kyle's May is anywhere relevant to this conversation. Unless you are trying to say I should learn this from him, which I believe is the angle you are aiming towards. If so, ^_^ thanks. I'll try. If not please explain :psyduck: It all sounds meaner than I want it to. BTW Alls good. Internet's are not a good form of communication, on a personal level. EDIT EDIT: BTW I agree I was too defensive. I helped post the video up to better myself and my community.

James, you know... bridget in XX and #R was far more capable of aggression, with faster sets, better normals, and better damage for taking the risks. Now, bridget does shit damage, and the risk isn't even worth the reward when there's more risk (slower sets, worse normals, etc) and less reward (shit damage). But I do have to say, Jais, that in this particular instance, you were being far too defensive, to the point where you missed opportunities to get in a mixup or start pressure with minimal risk. Risk reward is part of the game, it's not scrubby. How you manage that risk is what is important here, you have to maximize the reward. And, the reward is not always getting the damage or knockdown... sometimes, it's just getting inside their head and creating doubt. From what I can tell, kyle is simply doing this far better than you.

Oh, and more starship.

Heh I know he's different than those GREAT DAYS. His offensive abilties decrease, and so did his keep away. Sigh.. but I still am pretty aggressive with him, but use the yoyo hold shit alot now. We should do mirror matches again and see whos better now. Fuck Johnny he cant do shit under pressure. At least with Bridget I have options.

LOL dropping johnny now, James? XD I really want to see how your bridget is. You should come to west toast. I'm gonna leave for Cal State Fullerton in about half an hour, you should get back to me if you want to come along =) We could have a team if you came! Jais: Sokay, I understand ^_^ May has much higher reward for less risk in the air, which is where bridget DOESN'T want his opponents to be =P My point still stands on defensiveness *snicker* it's just something to keep in mind when you theorize about risk vs reward.

Hey Jais could you delete all my post from this thread. I really didnt want it to turn out as you guys defending what you did and me trying to force what I think onto you guys. Obviously you guys played each other alot, and if Sly and you say thats the way you win against each other, then I think its unreasonable for me to try to tell you how you should of played according to my playbook. If you guys wanted a critique I guess you would of asked for it. Anyways my bad for being kinda insultive to you Sly in my last post. :thumbu: EDIT: Thank You. Jais

Honestly, Sly played that match perfectly. The huge problem (/brokenrecord) is that Buri can't really get damage unless you fuck up and give it to him. It takes the most basic of blocking skills to see his overheads, and even if u do get hit low, the proration makes the combo hurt even less, and not enough to justify using tension to extend it (although, since wtf else are you gonna do for damage, you pretty much have to sometimes). Basically, if you force Bridget to come to you, he can't really do much. When I fought Kyle at NEC, he played the fight the exact same way. He chilled back and threw dolphins from time to time, and I think we both got multiple neg penalties during the match. The difference was that he did a fuckton of damage when he hit me, and I got maybe a KSMH when I hit him. It was seriously a boring match to watch, but damn fun to play.

LOL dropping johnny now, James? XD

I really want to see how your bridget is. You should come to west toast.

I'm gonna leave for Cal State Fullerton in about half an hour, you should get back to me if you want to come along =) We could have a team if you came!

Jais: Sokay, I understand ^_^ May has much higher reward for less risk in the air, which is where bridget DOESN'T want his opponents to be =P

My point still stands on defensiveness *snicker* it's just something to keep in mind when you theorize about risk vs reward.

Been lurking for a long time and finally felt like registering :P

:O Cal State Fullerton! I go there!

why don't you go to AI where all the AC goodness is at?

First player slash button is broken at AI my sources tell me :psyduck:

Eh, the last time the slash 1p side was broken was... couple months ago?

if you tell the employees the machine usually gets fixed pretty quickly (in a time frame, of course).

I played there a couple of days ago and it was fine, everything seemed to be in really good working order.

Anyone have any good vids for tournament level buri? other then the ones on norematch?

So does anyone feel the new gamechariot matches are a bunch of 1) 6P losing HARD 2) I have way better matches than that.

From what ive seen...yeah =/ 6P just isnt as reliable as i used to think, but in order for it to be good, you have to pretty much anticipate an IAD or some jump in and hope that your guess was right.....which basically renders it more on the bad side of things. O and DAA losing to lows all day long isnt cool either.

Lol 4 Chuck. (This guy's japanese makes no sense. Silly gamers :()

Bridget

• Max Damage C: Far-slash -> pullback combo. If you include Gaa-fu (technique name?) it could be an A. There is nowhere to aim your FB within your combos. :psyduck:
  • Average Damage D: Your air-air, poke damage is basically shit and doesn't have knockdown, so it's more shit.
  • Pokes B+: Good range, but it's easy to confuse yourself trying to follow the opponent on pullback.
  • Pressure/Lockdown B-: You can kinda stick to your opponent with 2P and Starship. Pretty much useless on high-mobility characters, though.
  • Mixup C: Yo-yo's pretty vicious, but difficult to set up just right. Pretty much worthless mid-screen.
  • Okizeme B: Ga-fu, Orekiru (I kill?) are awesome. Rushdown is still good. Set up your yo-yo for mixups.
  • Against Ground C+: Messing up their timings with your rolling is awesome, but it's common to be able to follow up properly on air-to-air (or alternatively, if they're off the ground. Or if they're NOT off the ground :psyduck: )
  • Against Air A: One of Bridget's few boasting points. Her anti-air pwns almost every character.
  • Breaking out of Pressure A: Still topclass, even after being nerfed. :psyduck:
  • Defense D-: Bridget is a delicate flower.
  • In general B+: With Bridget's mobility and spacing, you can control the battlefield. Losing on gauge efficiency sucks.
  • Overall Rank: D (A whole bunch of slang I don't really understand, but he basically says Bridget's a fruit with no attack or defense).
  • Good matchup(s): Pot. If you spend more than 5 minutes winning this matchup, you suck.
  • Bad matchups Millia, Testament. Millia just owns you all around, the only logical explanation is she's just superior. Let's not even mention Testament.

Discuss

Not quite sure i agree with the Anti Air aspect of bridget's game..id rank it like a C+ or B- 6P...yeah it has range, but u cant instinctively AA someone on reaction with it...you have to anticipate it, and the invul frames not being at the initial start is at fault for that. Its priority isnt as great as other 6P's as well imo, and random moves will beat it out Not quite sure what other anti air options they could be talking about really....5P is there, but thats a very situational anti air move. There's also 6S, but its also situational. I also see some slight errors with what was said... 1) you can link FB's into your combo's..you just have to glitch it. 2) the statement on pokes....i dont see how you could be confused with whats going on as your yo-yo is retracting...that being a reason why pokes arent high seems 100% invalid...it also seems like some pokes got de-prioritized slightly, but maybe thats just me 3) I think bridget's mixup game is much higher than a C....like a B or even B+.....honestly, id probably rank this the highest out of everything...Although several of those options are extremely unsafe by itself, if you have the yo yo buffered, your practically safe regardless of what attack you choose to shoot out. The only person this wouldnt apply to is baiken obviously. 4) breaking out of pressure id derank to B since starship got nerfed....its there and its useful, but its not the "get out of jail free card" it used to be. thats my take

Bridget mix-up is rarely safe IMO. Buffering requires them to not move + not attack you. Then you have to approach w/out releasing. Either its the translation or a bad analysis of Buri's strengths/weaknesses overall. I do agree with a lot of the points made but just not all of them.

yea i agree with Bridget AA rank that shoud be around C+ to B- that's at least 4 character that i know can do stupid jump in/cross up and mess out his AA option i think for breaking out pressure they talk about maintenance and wake up delay... but dunno Starship was sux

Bridget's mixup sucks. Safety (which is still debatable) aside, good luck breaking through anyone's guard with his weakass set of options. Even if you do, at most you'll get 40ish % damage with no knockdown. So you bust your ass to get the hit, and you can't do shit with it once you do. Bug loop hurts, yeah, but once again, to set that up requires your opponent to be totally concentrating on something other than the match. I'd say "breaking out of pressure" would better be described as "avoiding pressure altogether." This is the one thing I think Bridget has on the rest of the cast. His movement is amazing, so he can often simply avoid the shitty situations that most characters have to work to deal with.

Who wrote that, does anyone know? Is it just some random dude on a forum, or is it someone notable? Orekiru btw is killing machine. Nothing particularly insightful or discussion worthy IMO. The only thing I really disagree with is this idea that Potemkin is some kind of effortless rape match, although it is one of the easier ones. And obviously it is possible to combo into FB, if the planets are aligned correctly and you're playing some kind of mouth-breather.

holy shit @ the march 30th acho vids. everyone needs to watch at least these 2: 準決勝 再生  かずん(PO) vs るぅ(BR)  and 決勝 再生  るぅ(BR) vs RF(FA) o.O; I can't believe I'm seeing a runaway bridget beating RF, it's too fun! And loving how he dealt with potemkin, doing that last combo... the way he dealt the last bit of the damage against him was ingenious! (If the pot had gained burst, it wouldn't have mattered).