Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ryzol

How do you choose a main?

how do you choose a main?

Normally this isn't a problem for me, but in GG I like almost every character. I'm not entirely sure how to go about tiebreaking. I've played the game some and watched a lot of online videos. However, that still leaves me with many characters to choose from.

So, I might be able to eliminate a few characters off of matchups. What I'd like to know is how many bad matchups these characters have, how many are 3-7 or worse, and who the 3-7 matchups are against (I really dislike matchups 3-7 or worse). I've read most of the matchup forums, but they rarely give ratings.

• A.B.A
  • Anji Mito
  • Axl Low
  • Bridget
  • Chipp
  • Dizzy
  • I-No
  • May
  • Millia Rage
  • Robo-Ky
  • Venom
  • Zappa

I'm leaning towards Venom, but the other characters are fun too!

How i chose my characters was by how I actually play fighting games in general. Personally, I play more of a defensive game, so naturally Baiken became my main. Lol, I used to start off by maining Jam in X2, but that quickly dissipated. As for Bridget, he's a trap lol.

Play who you find enjoyable and like watching, everyone in GGAC is good and you shouldn't bother deciding your character based on strength/matchups since playing what feels natural to you will always be the best choice. There are no 3-7 or worse matchups in GGAC. Watch match vids from top Japanese players and see who appeals the most to you.

Eh, I think SOME 3-7s exist, but they're both anomalies and DOable. Like Jo-Za, An-Ma, that kind of thing. Really, you should pick a character and stick to it. The dumbest thing people do is try to learn counterpick characters.

I picked I-no cause I saw Slash koichi 23 on 23...yeah and I love mixup/oki chars I also started learning millia for the same reason, millia combos are easier though...

I picked Ky because I thought he looked neat (GG1) :KY: Yes, that's the reason. And then I liked his playstyle. After that, I noticed that chars with good zoning and projectiles games were fun to use. That's how I picked Venom. And well... I picked Robo Ky because :RO: is <3

So, I've been playing around with various characters and watching videos and I still don't know who I want to main. It's gotten worse, I've added characters! It's hard choosing a main with so many fun characters.

There are so many characters that fit similar play styles, yet have subtle differences between them. In practice, what are the differences b/t Order-Sol's charge system and Jam's Cards? What about Anji's Guard points, vs. Jam's parries, vs. Baiken's crap? Then there's the bazillion different projectiles, but I think I have an okay idea how those work b/c it's very visible how much space a projectile controls.

I've decided that I don't want an all or nothing type character who either wins brutally or dies having basically never touched the opponent. I think some of the characters I'm considering maining fit this description, but this is just a list of who I currently enjoy playing:

• A.B.A
  • Anji Mito
  • Bridget
  • Dizzy
  • I-No
  • May
  • Millia Rage
  • Order-Sol
  • Potemkin
  • Robo-Ky
  • Venom
  • Zappa

I think if I was going to be more realistic about a main I'd limit it to (in no order):

• Millia Rage
  • Venom
  • Robo-Ky
  • I-No
  • Anji Mito
  • Bridget

Considering the characters you listed, I'd probably suggest trying to stick with May for a while and seeing how that goes.

I might do that, but May's voice is a tad annoying. Idk, I might pick a character at random, or choose based off of graphics.

I usually move the character select cursor over to Axl, press respect twice to get / colors, then press the Slash or Kick button. That's how I choose my main, but, that's just me.

I've decided that I don't want an all or nothing type character who either wins brutally or dies having basically never touched the opponent.

Well then you've got options, because as long as you can block, nobody fits this description. If you CAN'T block, then everyone fits this description.

Just watch high-level vids of the characters you're interested in so you can see what the characters do when played at their best. Whichever one you like watching the most should be the one that you choose. Also, know that it's gonna be a while before whoever you play looks like they do in vids, and be patient.

Rank the following things in order of their importance to you - it might help: Reversals Abare Mixups Okizeme Zoning

What you are asking us to do is give you a comprehensive GUIDE to each characters strength and weaknesses, and gimmicks. That wont happen here. What you are gonna need to do is click around this forum for 10 minutes, and find this info. Watch match videos. Practice. Than pick your character. This isn't BB, and we sure as hell aren't gonna do any hand holding in guilty. and than you said you dropped may because of her VOICE ACTING? and said you might pick a character based on their SPRITES?:vbang: I doubt there is any help you can get that would help you make up your mind. So i say go with Venom. And has fun with those charge partitions.

@op: There're a bunch of old summaries in the tier list thread, second post and down though, check those out. They might not best express the game as it stands now, but they do at least give a good idea of what characters can and can't do.

I could be mean, but I'll refrain. 1. Serious players don't use EX or Gold versions of characters. 2. Not to be rude, but I SERIOUSLY doubt you've "mastered" a single character. 3. You're in south Cali, there's competition on the west coast, check the Match Finder thread. Pick a regular character, check their thread, learn some shit, then go play the locals. More than likely you'll get your ass stomped and learn something. Rinse and repeat for awhile, then come back and read your post again. If you want to kick your own ass after reading it, congrats and welcome to Dustloop. If not, you should probably trade the game in and get something else.

i went through this dilemma once but only on picking a third character...lol which reminds me I still dont have one...damn...but basically watch jap. vids see what each character plays like... decide which way you want to play oki?, mixups?, zoning? damage? though each character has all of these factors some specialize in a category more than the other...and then you get your main...you could also pick a player and see who they play best with if they are your favorite player you could try to emulate...

Do I have penis? Check Do I like sluttiness? Check Do I like bitches? Check Do I like the color red? Check Do I like Shiina Ringo? Check I-no was my choice.

I choose and main the character who I can instantly pick up and start scrubbing wins off of people, since I don't practice and I sorta just learn from douching people....and also since my execution tends to be pretty bad they have to be easy to use too :psyduck:

Behold

Posted Image

Oddly enough, such characters tend to be blonde and low tier (e.g. Galford in SSV, Shin in HnK, Rugal in CvS2, etc.)

:MA:~ She hits like a truck, she stuns people easily, WHALES, DOLPHINS, holds an anchor with one hand, She's fucking adorable as all hell (6P,cutest attack ever) and when the first GG came out for PS1, I chose her on accident and I found the greatest character ever since. :OS:~ Cuz he's Ishiwatari in the past.