Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kasou

Official: Chipp General Questions Thread

I'm just starting to learn Chipp, so bear with me.

For the Chipp AC combos, on the third post, floorslide is 2d, right?

Are there any uses for 41236k?

Looking at the notations for combos, what does the d part of d.s mean?

Does Chipp's zoning game revolve around him forcing his opponent to remain stationary and wait to punish?

floor slide is a general property in accent core. for chipp, it is triggered by a counter hit j.D or counterhit 6K. d. = dashing. you can play like that (Whiff punish, using your speed), but it's not a must.

so, i found another group of GG players near me, and one of them plays with Dizzy, wich i hae to tell you i a have zero matchup experience against her, i know that its a favorable matchup for me, but i always end raped, lol, wich is funny cuz on other difficul matchups like zato vs chipp or potemkin vs chipp; i do very well

i want to know if there is more info about this particular matchup, or if there is some videos to use as reference

I picked up Chipp recently and now I'm working on tech traps into airgrabs (or any sort of grab setup, like baiting a VV with a FD canceled dash in, but they went with a Gold Burst and I have to punish before they hit the ground).

1. I'm pretty sure I have to be slightly under someone to grab. That's true right?

2. Can you grab out of an airdash?

3. How quickly can you grab off the ground (or I should ask how low to the ground)? Like, say I land OTG Gamma, but I have to dash in because it's mid-screen, and they tech as I get to them - I can jump and immediately grab right? It seems like I only get it to work like 10% of the time. I want to make sure it's just my bad timing, and not something like I can only grab them if they tech a certain direction, because otherwise they're not high enough for me to grab.

1. yes

2. no

3. on the first airborne frame, so you can do it really low. you can even use ultra-low air throws as anti air or even on wakeup if your opponents are a little too late with their jump-in. you can even throw slayer out of his 6k that way, or johnny out of his dash.

Thanks. I've been working on it - best string of gamma to airgrab to gamma resets is like 3 in a row with the training dummy set to teching on the first possible frame in a random direction. Hopefully I can get more consistent, and from there I can work on catching my friends' selective techs (I already watch for the tech instead of just automatically jumping, but I know it'll be different in a real match).

Now, I know my friends are going to stop teching if I just wait for the airgrab and will let themselves get knocked down again - what are the best options out of Gamma oki? I practiced some combos that work on just naturally landing Gamma (like Gamma > 2S > HS > IAD j.P (which I always seem to miss by just a few frames) > j.D > Alpha), but they don't get launched out of OTG Gamma by this, so I need another option.

Is the only thing that's really going to work OTG Gamma > whatever > 22K/S/D for crossups when they land?

On another note, what's Chipp's best option select? I've been using 6+S+H just in case of a 1-frame jump out (c.S is fast enough that I can get by guard up if they try to punish), but using 6P could beat backdashes out, and 6K would probably beat command grabs (or any grabs since everyone outranges Chipp - don't get stuck with a grab break that way) that are throw invincible since it's airborn. I guess it's just matchup dependent or more yomi games?

Lastly, I seem to screw up my FDC 70% of the time - either I do it right and throw a kunai (and get raped for throwing the crappy one), or I don't do it. I can't stand the PS2 D-pad (one day I'll have to get a fight stick) - I know I'm accidentally doing the 214P when I shift my thumb for the FDC. I started trying to use H instead (I'll just land with j.H anyway), but it's harder to shift my thumb that way than to just press down further to hit P. Any advice on this? I'd like to get it consistent enough to where I can use this with OTG Gamma oki and be less predictable.

*Edit*

ONE MORE THING!!! Can you option select an airgrab? If so, what's Chipp's best option for this? Not doing it and going with j.H is probably good for the multihit anyway, though you can jump cancel j.K and j.S making them a bit safer on block (mis-timed your grab or something) if you're really high in the air and can't really pressure out of the j.H that well. j.P might work for speed if they get out of the way at the last possible second and you want to chase after the fast recovery.

1. 6S+HS is probably the best, dont go for 6K+HS, too many quick normals will net them a CH vs. airborne -> you die

2. best gamma resets, there are plenty, all are nice, but not really great. examples:

otg gamma, d.2P, 22HS teleport, will keep momentum -> crossup j.S

otg gamma, some chain, P teleport, D teleport

... and so on

3. FDC: you can hold downback, no need to push downback+K, P at the same time. just jump, hold downback, slide from K to P. should solve your problem, although i suggest you work on your execution ^^

4. option select airgrab: j.6+P+HS. can be nice sometimes, but for me its kinda awkward, i stick to non-OSd air throws.

Thanks for the responses. : )

OSing 6S+HS seems to work the best, though I've had results with predicting a throw invincible move and beating it with 6K (works great if I cross May up and she throws out 2H for the hitbox on her back, or if I think she's going to command grab). I do it incredibly rarely though.

I've been working on the Gamma stuff and it's been helping. I'm actually getting somewhere using teleports against the comps, even though they just read where you're going. : )

Guess that means I'm doing it fast enough.

I'll try what you said about FDC later. I really need to get that down - it adds so much to Chipp's bait/punish besides the oki option that I wont be able to live without that after I get better at wall-kicking and FRCing TKed Alpha Blades and FRCing JIed teleports into an airdash (and any other crazy movement thing I forgot to mention).

That said, can you jump install a teleport without actually gattling it out of an attack?

And do you know of a better way to practice tech-reading so I can get more airgrabs in? : )

Or should I just work on letting people tech out of my combos and trapping them that way?

you should let ppl tech out of combos and trapping them that way, especially in corner.

You can Automatic jump install by teleporting the moment you land from a jump. Im sure there's an article on that somewhere. Useful for say air grabbing in the corner, and then air teleport, into air dash. Works very well against beginner to bottom tier top level players.

That said, can you jump install a teleport without actually gattling it out of an attack?

adding to what kasou said, you can also input 228+button for a pseudo-jumpinstall teleport ( you can only airdash after it, not double jump)

Yup, two ways.

1. You can do 22 8+HS/D, if you are fast enough it will jump istall, but you can only dash, not jump.

2. Inmediate 22 HS/D on landing after jump (duouble jump stored, or air dash), after double jump (one jump stored), and after super jump (air dash stored)

Edit: didn't see the answers on the last page :psyduck:

Just a quick question about teleport FRC, I'm trying to get a few things down like ©S pressure and blocked strings cancelled into D teleport FRC j.S but the j.S just seems to wiff all the time. Could some one tell me if I am out of range or just performing this incorrectly with the following string...

dashing ©S, ©S, Gamma, (f)S xx D teleport, FRC, j.S?

I don't think I'm too far away for that to work but I just don't seem to get it to hit ever although if I sit at certain ranges it does connect and I'm just baffled as to why it's not working (no momentum involved as well as pushing the enemy back INTO the j.S should give me the right range, right?).

by the way I'm trying this against Sol.

I honestly have no idea, so I can't help with that. I don't get to practice much so I haven't started experimenting with getting those inputs down for that sort of pressure.

I have another question though. Will the game read a 1 or 3 input as forward or back for a throw, aka, can I OS with moves like 2K (actually 3K which throws out a 2k for the example) if I felt like it? Just thinking about other things to experiment with... if I was going for some pressure like he mentioned and decided to throw out a 2K for the mixup, I wouldn't want to get grabbed, so the OS is more of a security feature (grab break or just grab if the 2K doesn't work).

*Edit*

And by 2K, I don't mean aerial, I mean landing and going for it, or even just dashing in for a 2K OS.

I wouldn't know, I play Guilty Gear because it's fast, and I picked up Chipp because he's faster. : )

Thanks again for the quick responses considering how dead it is around here. You guys rock.

So you can option select in SF4?

Okay a question for you guys here, Sol's Bandit Revolver is -4 for Sol meaning he recovers on the 5th frame. Chipp's ©S is 4 frames and connects on the 5th SOOOOOO if I IB Sol's BR I should be able to hit him for free while he's in crouch state for an easier iAA combo yes? I'm pretty sure I have done this in the past but I have been trying it recently, recording Sol doing 2K, 5S, 5HS, BR then S dragon on block BUT I can't seem to hit Sol before his S dragon comes out? I know it's only 1 frame that I've got to do this but I can see Chipp's ©S come out and then it just doesn't connect because Sol goes invincible and slaps me and I don't think I can do ©S any sooner because he's still in block stun? I am a little lost here, is the frame data correct here or am I reading things wrong or.................?

EDIT. Sorry, I should say that when I tried it before I did 5K, 5S, 2D, BR and then stopped the recording before Sol hit the ground and told the dummy to block all so that it would block at the soonest opportunity and I still hit Sol (can't remember if it was Counter Hit or not though).

Chipp's standing block may be too short. Sol's BR probably isn't connecting on the first active frame, but on a latter frame. At least from the 2K-S-HS>BR string.

If I block crouching I'm in additional block stun (by 1 frame?) and IBing only reduces blocstun by 1Frame so that would do nothing for me I guess? Time to test a little more. Also, what is the best punishment for grand viper? 6HS, iAA with follow-ups?

i never had problems instant blocking BR and puishing with S©, are you sure you are in close S range?

Well unless I have them the wrong way round (BR and BB that is) but I don't believe I do, gonna do some testing now and write edit up afterwards.

Okay, so I'm getting it now but just to make sure of stuff. Because Sol is in recovery should I be getting a CH status on hit or not? It's after active so it's punishment but not CH right because I'm not getting Counter to pop up still. Just wanted to know if I recorded Sol badly :) . Thanks again :D

I know this doesn't really fit in the character forums, but I went to my first Guilty Gear tournament like a month ago and sucked ass because of the timing differences between the console version of AC+ and the arcade version. I mean really, I yomi'd a Testament's counter out of the gate in one matchup and tried to Respect cancel into 2D, but I did NOTHING for the first 2 seconds of the round and wound up just getting block pressured for the whole game.

Chipp, getting block pressured because I couldn't get stuff to come out normally. : (

And I couldn't get hit-confirms and combo links to work properly either. Overall, my gameplay turned to crap.

So I need to know exactly how the timing is different to expedite the process of getting used to the arcade version so I can go back to actually doing combos and spacing correctly. It felt bad to watch a Chipp using completely inefficient combos (2K > 2K > 2K > c.S > f.S > 236s > 236s > RC > dash in > repeat for like 100 damage out of 50% meter) and tactics (always rushing down the same 2 ways - dashing in with 2K or jumping over with j.2K, not even FDCing j.S or j.H, or doing any sort of bait/punish) perform WAY better than I did because I didn't know just how different the timing is.

I don't have time to go to the arcade very often, so any tips to maximize the time I do have to spend there will help. : )

The controller isn't an issue - they have one of those nifty ports that let's me use my PS2 controller, though I plan on learning stick eventually. It's just the timing differences. Everything fell apart, and I need to know exactly how different everything is. Everyone was dropping combos and screwing things up all day, so I can't blame my losses on that, but I'd rather not have that problem anymore.

The framerate data is still the same as posted in the guides right? Does the game run with different frames per second? Could it have just been TV lag from the arcade cabinet? Any ideas help me here.

never heard of major timing differences between the console and the arcade version of AC. maybe that controller port had lag or something? or it was something else, sitting so close to the screen, maybe? first time i played on a cab, that really threw me off.

Arcade AC runs at normal speed. All console ports of AC run above normal speed. When you go from console to arcade, do everything slower. From arcade to console, do everything faster. All the frame data is still consistent, since it's all relative. But I think the console ports are running above 60fps, which is why alot of 1frame stuff is so hard to do, when it was never that hard to do prior to the AC ports. And try not to center your timings on sound.

And the speed difference changes the strategy a little bit too. It goes back to being more about space control and baits, less about forcing mixups and rushdown. Since arcade is running at normal speed, reversals are easier to do and mixups are easier to react to.

If you have a good computer, then you can emulate AC. Otherwise you're stuck with the ps2 ports. What I do when I'm gearing up to play on arcade is I play GGSlash. Or I just don't play GG for a month or so, and let my old muscle memory resurface.