Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caer-caveral

AC Testament - Gameplay and Q&A

Last updated: 13:05 25/04/08

updated with mixup section and additionals on jS

I took down the AC discussion thread because I felt it had to much of a pre-release feel to it that it never got over. Here is instead the new thread for any discussion of Testaments gameplay that isn't directly combo-focused.

Also, ask any questions you have regarding how to play Testament in this thread. Hopefully we can keep this thread all nice and structured in some way.

Overview:

Testament used to have a strong focus on zoning and keepaway in his gameplay, but with the additions in AC, he can be played quite freely. In many matchups you will still be best served by a careful zoning strategy though, so keep this in mind if you are considering wether or not Testament is for you.

His gameplan revolves alot around his traps and his long range pokes, both designed to keep the opponent at a distance. Offensively, his main weapon lies in HS EXE Beast, as this move allows you to combo from most hits you get in. It also serves a purpose, both offensively and defensively, to simply beat out another characters pokes, as it does not disappear even if you're hit. Damage is perhaps a bit above average, but considering the damage output in AC I can't be sure. You could say that depending on the setup, damage will be quite small or huge.

One of the more interesting points of this character lies in the move "Phantom Soul". If this move hits the opponent he will be marked (or "cursed") for a certain period of time, during which Testaments crow will continually attack him with one of four different patterns. Using this fully is often very hard as you need to constantly synch with something largely out of your control. You can do well without the crow, landing the curse only when opportunity happens to arise and using it only as a source of annoyance. For me though, the crow is really what makes Testament special and genuinely fun to play, as the possibilities with the crow are close to endless.

I'll try to make a rundown of Testament's basic gameplay options in the most common situations. If I don't mention a move in a certain situation it means it either suck there or it's too situational to list.

Neutral/poking situations:

Generally what you want to do is get your traps in place in order to make the battle happen at your terms. The trick lies in finding the time to get them out as you want them without being punished for it, i.e. you need to keep the opponent away until you decide it's time for him to get close. I'll list the main moves for this below.

f.S. Far slash is the longest reaching move, and has decent values for both startup, active and recovery frames. This is generally the move you want to use when the opponent is far away in order to keep him there. Connect with it in some way and chain it into a web or tree.

Also, note that on counterhit it chains into 2HS, Badlands and Gravedigger for some damaging options.

2S: f.S has a weakness in it's hitbox not going very low. Many moves can thus punish it by going under (like grand viper, Big bang upper, etc.) It's for situations like that that you want to use 2S instead. It has a bit longer recovery which combined with its low profile makes it a bit more vulnerable against people going for jumpins. It does though reach almost as far and as stated stuffs low profile moves.

Also, 2S is one frame faster than f.S, meaning it combos from 5P, 2P and 2K, which is important to know for some matchups.

5P and 5K: Two moves for when the opponent is a bit too close for comfort. 5K is most common, but against certain characters 5P is prefered in some cases (e.g. Slayer). It's mainly when 5P is used as a poke that you need to remember to chain it to 2S, since you often won't be in range for close S.

If a close range poke is blocked, just combo it further to get the opponent away and end with 2HS or 2D before placing a trap. Since those two are long reaching, high level attacks, they will give you more time for trapping.

6K: For 6K, you have to be pretty sure it's going to hit because the recovery is enormous. Also be vay of the fact that Testa's hitbox is huuge in this move.

The main reason to use it is either to punish someone you think will jump or do a slow move, or because of its chaining properties. 6K can be chained further at any pont during it's animation. This means you can try to fool the opponent by doing blocked 6K, wait, and then chain to HS, 6HS or EXE. It gives you a good chance to get a counterhit, so combo potential from those followups is high.

6HS: Long reach but very slow and has a terribly large vulerable box. It also doesn't hit close to you, which sucks. Recovery is on the humongous scale, often demanding an FRC just to keep it safe. Despite all this, it is viable to throw out once in a while because it does reach very far, knocks down on hit and a counterhit is one of the best starters you can get. Just use it sparingly.

2HS: Reaches far and has a good deal of invulnerability, making it very useful against some characters. Should however be used with care because it i very slow and can be punished severely. Slayer is an example of a character that can rape you really badly if you try to use this move outside of blockstrings.

EXE: S EXE is your main tool for forcing the opponent to move. It makes turtling useless, but can be baited. Count the opponents jumps/airdashes and catch them with it on landing if you want to be sure.

HS EXE, also known as HADORYUKEN! will win over pretty much anything and is +9 on block. It can also be baited with an IAD or the like, but it is an excellent tool nonetheless. It's mere presence can make opponent think twice about attacking on the ground. Also very good defensively since it will come out even if you are hit, and a ch HS EXE will most often lead to combo even if you traded, but at the very least gives you knockdown.

Air to Air

Testament is rather good at air to air, mainly due to his range. Badlands untechable time makes for good combos or at least knockdown from any landed poke. Always try to get a 1-hit in.

jS: Main air to air. Has very good range and a pretty good vulnerable box. I have slowly but surely come to realise that this is indeed Testaments best normal. It is one of your few moves that doesn't have a vulnerable box as big as its hitbox and it can outpoke most characters in the air.

One very important thing when poking with this move is to think of your hitconfirm. If you land a random hit and hitconfirm it into Badlands, you just turned a slightly annoying poke to a knockdown and free mixup opportunity, possibly changing the pace of the match right there.

jK: Faster than jS and thus a good choice either if the enemy is close or just to stuff characters that can move in on you really fast. Not that good range though. I often use it preemptively, by e.g. dashing and doing jump and jK immediately if I think the opponent will jump/dash in. It's a better choice than jS since it also recovers faster.

jD: Very long range, but the vulnerable box really sucks and it's a bit slow. This should be used only at long range, as something like a shield. Its common for this move to be spammed a bit too much, but it's understandable since a counterhit is arguably the best combo starter Testament can get.

jP: Fastest move, if only be a small margin, but no range. Use only when you need to hit an opponent who is waaay to close for comfort.

Air to Ground

An area in which Testa is severely lacking. Try to avoid having to use it at all.

jHS: Best air to ground only because it hits in a large area under Testa. It is however very, very slow and easy to antiair. Preferably use it either very close to the ground (e.g. as okizeme) or high enough up that you have time to chain it to jD, or you will get thrown when you land.

jP: Hits under Testa making it viable in this case. However, the hitbox of jK and jS makes it so you don't have any really good options for chaining into from it.

jD: Hits pretty well under Testament, and once again gives excellent combo opportunities on hit. However, the vulnerable box stil sucks majorly, as it can be anti aired easily by almost anything the opponent decides to throw out. Should preferably only be used at a decent range.

Anti air

An area of varying profitability. Against some characters, you will own them majorly in this field and against others you have almost nothing to work with.

5P: Main anti air in my opinion. Will beat or clash with a very large number of attacks, and you can usually chain it to close S for a combo. This move is mainly used for people coming down at you from above but can also stuf IAD attacks pretty well if not too ranged, especially IAD pressure such as that of Jam and Slayer.

This move makes or breaks Testas AA game. When it works, you can own the opponent. When it doesn't, your only remaining options lie in guessing games.

6K: Good against airdashes if used early enough. This means you will mostly have to predict a dash-in to stuff it with this. It does however work fairly well for that and gives you free combo through 6K > BL on hit.

6HS: Takes heavy predicting since it's so slow. Mainly good if you have the opponent somewhat in the corner, where you can almost guarantee it to be at least blocked. As stated it's very nice on counterhit so you can try for it now and then, but be ready with the FRC.

6P: Very situational. It upper body invulnerability is good, but it's very slow and hits way too low. You just have to figure out what specific situations where this is good.

Mixups

Testament unfortunately has quite few mixups. The ones he has are very good but the lack of variety may very well pose a problem against seasoned opponents.

Main mixups lie in the use of 2K and 6P, and to an extent also 2D. 6P hits high and has quite a subtle animation, making it a very good mixup tool. 2K, of course, is your fast low poke. The proration off of that move is really horrible though. 2Ds biggest merit surprisingly lies in the fact that it's quite slow. This means that using this may throw off people who try to get the right blocking of 2K and 6P purely by means of timing. As an added bonus 2D has not proration and can lead to really big damage.

Now, the next step is to not just try for a mixup as your first attack. Especially 6P is quite flexible in when you can gatling into it, so try and mix that up as much as possible. potential gatlings are from 2P, 5P, 5S, 6K and 2K. Doing it from 6K is actually bullshit as you can't do a low after it, removing the mixup potential but it still works sometimes. Going after 2K is a bit iffy as it is probably impossible to hitconfirm from the 2K alone meaning if you do hit with 2K you just wasted your combo for a new mixup. However, this can be viewed as more of it's own mixup by itself. You make a conscious decision to not care about the 2K hitting and going for biger rewards. The upside here is that many players reflexively block low after being hit by something low. This means that it's possible to land a 2K and then get a 6P in, for less proration, as they hurry to block in the wrong direction. If your opponent has instead figured this out and forces himself to always block standing after a 2K, you can nail him with a 2D from it as well.

After a while of doing the same shit, people start to learn, making throws more and more important. It's unblockable, baby! :cool:

Testament has many good tick throw setups. Some of the most common are after an okizeme net, after an EXE FRC, after most crow hits and after a meaty jHS. Testament gets very good damage from a throw, making it' inherent fear-value rise. After a while, the throw becomes a mixup since you can go for a 2K instead of the throw and catch people off guard as they are standing in preparation for a counter throw.

Testaments best mixup as in hardest to block is probably the tree crossup (see okizeme section). However, please note that in attempting it you are gambling your pressure on that one move, as a failed crossup will result in at best neutral situation, and at worst you jumping into the corner.

Okizeme

Basic okizeme revolves around nets. If you have time for it, planting a net over a downed opponent is quite like having an automatic meaty when they rise. This comes in handy as you can use it to ensure that they block.

For example, against Sol you can plant a net and then wait for a fraction after he rises, until you see the net being blocked. This way you do not need to fear reversal VV's.

An alternative is to use a well spaced S EXE instead. If you don't have time to properly place the net, you can run up to the opponent and do a S EXE that hits meaty (or at least close to it). This will let you keep frame advantage without FRC (since S EXE has 19 active frames and is only -2, there's plenty of room for frame advantage to be found) The correct spacing is so that they are pushed just close enough for you to do your mixups after the EXE hits. The distance will keep you safe from quite a lot of reversals.

Number three that I have come to like a lot is to jump in with a late jHS. You should ideally hit with it just before you land. jHS > 6P is a good mixup, since many players reflexively block low after the high jHS. You can slo try for a tick throw after it. The nice point about this is that landing after a jHS kills the recovery, meaning it will keep you safe from most reversals.

Next up is the Shounen crossup. After a knockdown that lands them sufficiently close to you, run up and plant a meaty tree. Now do an IAD over them as fast as you can. This will result in the tree hitting them while you cross them up. If the tree hits, do a BL and go into a loop. After doing this enough times, you can actually just plant a tree nd then do nothing and make that be a mixup. If your opponent is scared of the crossup, he might block wrong without you having to do anything.

Also, a similar variant is that you plant a tree and then backstep at the last minute in order to bait a throw.

Badlands and it's usage

Badlands is that hip new move Testament got instead of his old Gravedigger. It carries some cons with it but it's mostly all good. Important to note is that it connects from 6K if you hit an airborne opponent with it, making the old 6K > 6HS almost obsolete.

Also important is that since badlands knocks the opponent behind you, it suddenly becomes a bad idea to do the old standard combo gatling > BL (standard with GD that is...) if you currently have the opponent in the corner. You do not wish to knock them out of it for a meager 30 extra damage. Keep them there for future high damage combos. Get them cursed instead if you can or set up a loop (see below) that can knock them back into the corner again.

Right with that out of the way, I'd like to adress the basics of combos with BL.

BL-loop

This is that thing that everyone is yelling "broke" at when they see it. It's strength lies in it's ability to get damage from many situations where it was previously impossible, often without any tension involved.

The "trick" to the loop is that all but the first BL's should be tigerkneed, i.e. you do the aireal version, as low as you can. This version starts up faster, reaches farther and recovers faster. A tk BL can be done witht the input 2147P.

The easiest way to practice this is to do throw > 6K > BL > tk BL > ...

You can do 3-4 loops on mediums and 6-7 on lights.

Important usage for the loop is from throw, warrant, Nightmare Circular, Dust and any random 6K hit on airborne opponents. These are situations where your other options are very limited or require an unnecessary amount of tension.

two important notes:

1: When you use tension to set up a loop, you gain close to no tension from it due to tension penalties. Do not deceive yourself by thinking you're making up for the loss. BL doesn't even have that good a tension gain to begin with.

2: regarding the "curse loop", as I just dubbed it ( go here for more info), all I can say is "learn it". It's really not easy, but it is definitely the best thing you can do with a BL-loop. It can be done from many starters, notable ones being throw and warrant. Learn to see when it's possible and when it's not. And don't feel bad if you can't get the curse at the end. It will come with practice, and until then the combo is still close to the best variant in that situation.

I do not really recommend using tension for setting up the loop, e.g. doing combo > HS EXE FRC > 6K > BL or the like, unless you're confident you can get a curse loop from it, as the loop generally gives you a fairly poor knockdown (far away and/or midscreen). Tension is better saved for 1-hit combos, as they generally have a higher strategic value. Exceptions are when you either need just a bit more damage or can't continue the combo through normal means.

It is however often possible to go from a normal gatling combo to the loop without tension. More on that can be found in the combo-section.

1-hit combos

If you hit an opponent that is high enough or deep enough with a BL, only the first hit will connect. This causes very long untechable time and they fall down pretty much right in front of you for easy continuation of the combo. This is a central part to Testaments combos in AC, as they give excellent setups, carry you into the corner and grants you knockdown from almost all combos. They particularly make random aerial hits much more threatening, as you can now get both a decent combo and knockdown from them, something that was impossible in earlier games.

Note that a 1-hit from a ground BL has shorter untechable time than both aerial 1-hit and the 2-hit of both versions.

The most basic and useful setup is to lift the opponent in any way you please and do jK > jS > jHS > BL. The only problem with this setup is that the jHS will only connect early in a combo. This means it will not work if you try to get a second 1-hit in or if the setup was unusually long. A good alternative is to do jK > jP > jK > jD > BL.

However, getting 1-hits is not an exact science. It varies a bit from character to character. It's really a matter of practicing and getting to now the correct height. Experiment for great success

When doing an air combo, there is most often no reason for doing a 2-hit BL at the end. You can almost always get a 1-hit with some planning (adding punches or whatever), the difference in damage is negligable, and even if you can't follow up on it you either get a knockdown close to you or a chance for a tech-trap. It's not always easy to get the 1-hit after a random setup, but try your best.

Net-lands

I'm not going to say much about this, as I find it to be kinda crap, but what the hell.

The basic idea is that you knock someone into a net with BL. From this, you simply lay another net and do tk/jump BL. You can see it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA0HUjLO2UM

The damage is crappy, but you can gain quite a lot of tension from it. Easy to be bursted out of though. The main use I can see is if you can get them poisoned before it, as it pretty much guarantees full poison damage, which is nice.

Of course, if you happen to get the chance, by all means go for it. I'd not really recommand trying specifically for it though.

Sidewitching

I decided to go ahead and make this into it's own topic, as I think it's very important for Testas combos. The idea here is that you do a 1-hit combo that makes you switch sides with your opponent. This can be made to work even deep in the corner, and gives the advantage that you can end the combo with a P skull. Example combos for this are:

corner 6P > S > 2D > HS EXE FRC > jHS > jD > BL 1-hit > HS > Net > dash > jS > jHS > BL 1-hit > sideswitch > HS > Net > tk BL > 236P

and

6P > S > 2D > HS EXE FRC > dash S > delay > jK (or jP) > jS > jHS > BL 1-hit > sideswitch HS > net > tk BL > 236P

There are several things needed for making the switch work. They are primarily momentum, timing and getting the opponent high enough.

First off, you need some momentum in you air combo in order for Testament to fly further than the opponent. There are two ways I have found to attain this. First off is the easy way of trapping the opponent in a net and then dash and do for example jS > jHS > BL. The net gives you time to do a dashing jump and thus gain momentum for the combo. The second way generally starts from a HS EXE FRC. You then dash in and do 5K or 5S. Now, if you jumpcancel immediately, Testament will make a normal jump with no speed retained from the dash he did before the previous attack. However, if you wait for just a moment before canceling to a jump, much of the momentum will be left, enough for you to get the sideswitch without nets.

Step two is that you need to get the opponent pretty high up with your combo, as you need enough time to land and adjust yourself after the 1-hit. I'm not sure of how this works exactly, but simply try to keep the opponent high up. It often helps to delay jS or jD if you're using them.

Last off, on most characters it is imperrative that you time it right when you do the last HS. You often need to do it as late as possible for the sideswitch to happen, but do it too late and you will get an OTG hit instead. This is very hard from some setups, but you'll get it with enough practice.

A final note for the curious: The last Net > tk BL is needed to get a knockdown in many cases. Even though the frame data says otherwise, air badlands second hit seems to have longer untechable time than the ground version. Also, the net is advantageous as it saves you from screwups when you mis-time the HS.

[Regarding deleted post with strategy information] I have to say I disagree with quite a bit of this, and some of it is just outright wrong... =/ The thing I reacted most to is the notion that you can't be thrown if you place a net on okizeme. This is very wrong, you can always be thrown if you stand within range, it's just quite a tight timing for the opponent. However, there's no risk involved for them in trying, so sooner or later you will be screwed if you're not careful with this. It's true about command throws though, since as far as I know, all of them have some statup frames.

I have to say I disagree with quite a bit of this, and some of it is just outright wrong... =/

The thing I reacted most to is the notion that you can't be thrown if you place a net on okizeme. This is very wrong, you can always be thrown if you stand within range, it's just quite a tight timing for the opponent. However, there's no risk involved for them in trying, so sooner or later you will be screwed if you're not careful with this. It's true about command throws though, since as far as I know, all of them have some statup frames.

I also strongly disagree with some usage of normals, especially f.S.

Maybe I'll just write up my thoughts sometimes soon...

You are right about web. I tested it again; I realized the mistake I made; Potemkin can't wake-up buster web.

Also, I would highly recommend posting something. There is no activity here, and no basic gameplay information

For oki section, I would like to add: Hitomi, iad (crossup) bl loop. Arsenal should just edit this into his copying of Koogy's post and I'll delete this to keep the thread neater.

maybe add in something about the traps? though i guess rabitecake's posts in the other thread explains enough. here's a question: how exactly should i use FB GD? i still look at the move with contempt. : ( and i never, ever use dust (5D). how bad a thing is this?

maybe add in something about the traps? though i guess rabitecake's posts in the other thread explains enough.

here's a question: how exactly should i use FB GD? i still look at the move with contempt. : (

and i never, ever use dust (5D). how bad a thing is this?

I think dust is usually nice for catching the opponent off guard, since 90% of your blockstrings will end in either 5HS or 2D, they're generally going to be blocking low...so add this at the end every once in a while, or maybe when the opponent thinks you're too far away to hit with 6P overhead...

otherwise, I think I've seen some one use it like 5 times as an anti-air against baiken (effectively)

Yeah, dust is nice. People who has seen it a few times will pretty much always block it since it's slow as hell and very telegraphed, but that doesn't really matter that much due to the frame advantage. It's a dodge move in several situations, and you can also use it as a sort of bait. An old Shounen tactic is to do several dusts in a row when you have them in the corner. Then when you think they will actually try to do something about it, you punish it instead. It's kind of silly, but fun. I should add as well that the chances of it landing are increased when you have cursed the opponent, since they might very well be looking more at the crow than at Testament. The damage and setup-properties of dust combos are very good indeed. And yes, it is actually an antiair of sorts if used correctly. Also note that it is untechable on air counterhit, giving you a free combo in that situation. GD is very good in several situations. It's actually really good as a poke, and it will punish anticipated backdashes/jumps extremely well. You can even use it as an antiair, since people will often forget to FD when they try to block it. If blocked you have a good chance for a throw, and you can even bait a counterthrow by shifting the distance you did the attack to be out of throw range. Then just land and do HS EXE. It will trade and give you a combo if the opponent tried to punish you in any way. Just be careful against characters with a very fast attack like Jam, Sol, Slayer and the like. GD can also be very good in combos since it is Testa's most damaging move. It's often worth it to add one or two GD's in an unprorated combo to add to the damage.

Any advice about traps? Like, if my opponent falls into a mid-high net, but by the time I reach him and jump up there to combo, he's already teched out of it, should I still pursue pressure or just air-dash backward and regroup?

Well, ideally you should be able to tell if you will make it or not, since it's preferable to stay back and put up shit if you think there's not enough time. Alas, I know it's not always that easy. Anyway, I'd say it depends alot, like what character your facing and what he does after teching, what your position is, etc. If you think you can safely put him down on the ground and keep pressure, then by all means do so. I can't really see any drawbacks there. Backing down will never be safe for more than the moment since your opponent is free to follow you, but depending on who you're facing, this may or may not be a problem. so yeah, long way of saying "it depends".

Yeah, I just started playing Guilty Gear, so I'm sure my spatial judgement will improve with experience. It's just that versus the CPU (set at maximum difficulty), sometimes I forget about/midjudge a trap, the opponent gets caught in it, I'm surprised for a half second, then by the time I get over to my trapped opponent, he's already teched out. But by then, I've already commited to my movement/combo starter/etc... Meh, I guess I'll learn what to do by experience and playing real people.

I'm finally beginning to even do the badlands loop. The problem is that it's not consistent. Any tips like timing or D-pad tricks that you can give me? All I do for tk Badlands is that I go 21478 very fast, like an instant rip. Should I be doing that or should I do it in a very smooth and liquid motion after I land from my earlier badlands?

you don't have to put in the 8. just 2147p will do. and it'll be easier if you buffer the motion while recovering from the previous badlands so that you just have to press 7p to get it out.

Out of curiousity how many Badlands can be done? And do you switch from BL to tk BL back and forth?

The amount varies by character, and there are different setups/loops for different characters, too. I just TK every badlands.

4 is enough. you don't need a uber long combo. just enough to mark, poison or master of puppets ur enemy.

I'd say make sure you get a knockdown. That's priority one. Apart from that, just try to do as many as possible. Sometimes doing 4 on a medium weight will make them able to tech, while doing only 3 on a light might mean that they get a tech because you haven't done enough of them. Also, I usually try to end the loop with a BL that knocks them into the corner. It might be worth dropping one iteration for that as well.

you could refer to the framedata, if you want. here.

http://dustloop.com/data/ac/testament.html

anyway, when you hit with MOP, you get some voodoo dolls. 2 for the first hit, and 1 for the second hit. you can only have up to 4 dolls.

you use up a doll when you plant a tree or a net. trees start up faster and poison the enemy. they also don't disappear if you get hit after planting one. but if you get while planting the tree it still won't get set up.

zeinest traps longer, so...yeah. it can still be set off by traps though, so use it when you're sure it'll hit.

you could refer to the framedata, if you want. here.

http://dustloop.com/data/ac/testament.html

anyway, when you hit with MOP, you get some voodoo dolls. 2 for the first hit, and 1 for the second hit. you can only have up to 4 dolls.

you use up a doll when you plant a tree or a net. trees start up faster and poison the enemy. they also don't disappear if you get hit after planting one. but if you get while planting the tree it still won't get set up.

zeinest traps longer, so...yeah. it can still be set off by traps though, so use it when you're sure it'll hit.

Thanks, but now I have another question. What is Poison?

A state that the opponent enters when hit by Nightmare circular, MoP trees, warrant or Fausts poison bottles, designated by them glowing purple.

To quote myself:

I haven't found any hard data on it, but it lasts for 15 "ticks", which takes about 8 seconds to finish. The damage on a character with full life is 127, for half life it's 86 and on someone with around 1/4 life it lies around 65. It is not affected by defense rating at all, which is why it kicks so much ass

A state that the opponent enters when hit by Nightmare circular, MoP trees, warrant or Fausts poison bottles, designated by them glowing purple.

To quote myself:

So you're saying that poison simply does damage over time?

10 dmg over 10 in game seconds, amounting to 100 damage maximum, IIRC.