Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shazay

The Joystick Thread

roman.canceL, buy a stick from pete (hahano), no shipping (since you're in jersey, he drives into jersey occasionally to play 3s/gg with me and my friends) and itll be 80 dollars cheaper than byrdo, and they're very nice. also i know him and hes a cool guy!!! i'd do it ASAP since hes going to jack up the price in a few weeks though. plus byrdo is sold out of sticks lol. put in your order now if want it though, since he usually takes new orders at the end of each month and his orders pile up before then. it will also mean you pay his dirt cheap price.

No probably not. Did you buy it used? You can probably open it up to see if something is loose or broken inside.

i bought it brand new from playasia. im able to pull the stick up but when i let go it retracts back. i opened the stick up to look to see what it does and because im able to push the stick up when the stick gets pushed against the restrictor plate the stick also comes up a little thus making it feel like it comes out of place.

im looking to see if this is a common occurence for anyone who uses a Sanwa JLF-TP-8Y-SK or any HRAP

roman.canceL, buy a stick from pete (hahano), no shipping (since you're in jersey, he drives into jersey occasionally to play 3s/gg with me and my friends) and itll be 80 dollars cheaper than byrdo, and they're very nice. also i know him and hes a cool guy!!! i'd do it ASAP since hes going to jack up the price in a few weeks though. plus byrdo is sold out of sticks lol. put in your order now if want it though, since he usually takes new orders at the end of each month and his orders pile up before then. it will also mean you pay his dirt cheap price.

omg nice! thanks for looking out mang. I'll PM you some of the questions im wondering :o

Building your own is never the easiest way and extremely rarely the cheapest. For a Sanwa/Seimitsu... Materials: - 1/2" MDF or similar material for chassis, 1' x 2' minimum per stick generally. - 1/8" MDF or similar for bottom - Material for support beams (MDF can double for this, I use Oak) - 3mm Lexan or Plexiglass top cover - Wood Glue (Gorilla) - Small profile screws, 1/4" - 1/2" long, to attach joystick - Screws for case bottom - Primer & Paint/Enamel - Sand Paper - Sanwa/Seimitsu Joystick - 6-8 Sanwa/Seimitsu face buttons (30mm) - 2 Sanwa/Seimitsu start/select buttons (24mm) - Solder - Wire, assorted colors, smaller is better (24 gauge I think) - PCB, Cable, or otherwise depending on what system it is for. Tools: - Radial Arm Saw or equivalent saw with 12"+ cutting length (don't use a hand saw) - Drill (Hand or Press) - 30mm and 24mm Hole Saw bits - Plunge Router - Lots of wood clamps (large and small, corner clamps as well) - 15-25W Soldering Iron A fairly basic multimeter is also really helpful to have around.

Well for me building would be the cheapest way insteady of blowing 50-90$, I have all the tools needed/material I just need the parts. Thanks.

Uhm, well just the Sanwa parts alone are like 50$. Add in the cost of MDF/Lexan/Screws/Paint/etc and the cost jacks up to like 80-90$ pretty easily. Professionally printed artwork is another chunk on top of it. You need a PCB too which usually runs 15$ or so, more or less depending on if you need to get it shipped or whatever.

I don't plan on making it "AWESOME". I just want it to do it's job. I have Tons of spare wood/finish aswell. I found a decent place to get the parts(Will cost me about 50$ like you mentioned) aswell and I baught the pcb awhile back. I do alot of construction/landscaping work so I have the needed tools since am building a jeep that is a w.i.p at my buddies house where he has a large shop with all the needed tools and such because he's a mechanic/electrician. I rather have a nice wood stained finish then have all the art and junk on it, myself. I enjoy keeping things simple. So like I said, it'll be cheaper for me since I already have everything I need to build it, I just needed the parts. Thanks for the concern. :D

I don't know if this is the right way to ask this... but its joystick related so here goes. I have a hrap II, and for the longest I was playing using ps2 default button controls, I didn't know this wasn't the arcade layout. so recently Ive been trying to adapt to the arcade button layout (the p, k, s, hs, d arc of death) and am having difficulty. My question is, how should I place my hand on the buttons? I know its all about personal preference and yadayada but, nothing feels right. Ive been using one finger on each button but have pinky difficulties. (It twitches when I use other fingers) So is there a commonly used way to place your hand? Sorry if this is the wrong place and I know its a stupid ass question but I had to ask... Thank you, in any event.

thumb on p, index on k,middle on s, ring on hs, use ring for dust as well, hit both d and hs with my ring finger for bursting. thats how i do it anyway, just do whatever comes naturally to you.

Thank you. I was practicing some more yesterday and tried different things, this seems to be working best for me, I screw up and hit hs by mistake less. Just a matter of fully adjusting. (Such a bitch from using the ps2 default layout... I was actually GOOD with that layout lol.. but I wanna be able to play in an arcade should the opportunity arise) Once again thanks for the input.

anyone got a current suggestion on where to buy/order a custom stick? I'm looking for a jap stick with good parts and an image put on the top. I'd like to stay under 200, but I'm willing to go a little higher

Go to shoruken if you have an account there. If you don't, I can introduce you to some available custom stick makers. I've ordered a custom stick for myself and this guy is really nice. He ordered speical kind of hardwood for my stick(dymondwood apparently @_@), and he is really quick with replies too. His price starts at MDF board 160~180, Hardwood 180~200. I'm getting all Sanwa + hardwood custom stick and it cost me 200 for the hardwood + PS2 pad hacks + Sanwa stick and buttons. Shipping cost me 22 bucks. He is Michael Dove from kaytrimskustoms. His email is kaytrimskustoms@gmail.com. Give him a email if you are interested.

There are also others who does fantastic jobs with sticks. Axis custom is currently have open slots left(I know becuase I asked him...but I decided to go with kaytrim becuase he is really responsive and customer friendly. I'm not saying Axis isn't). Finkle I believe have 2 spot open? But not too sure about that however he makes fantastic sticks(not my kind of style since he makes stick out of metals. But they do look super nice.). I sent email to Pine but he did not reply for 3 days so I'm guessing he is pretty busy.

Got a Hori pro stick for PS2 a couple days ago and now I'm just waiting for it to come in. Don't have any stick questions right now. Just wanted to share my excitement with you guys on DL ^_^

The Hori Xbox 360 stick is pretty good, the drivers are the same as a 360 controller, so it's easy to use for your compy, but it doesn't like to RC with the KSH combo. I'm gonna make sure it's a defective stick before I trade it back for a new one.

Whoa, Finkle's sticks look...bitchin'. I've been using the ps2 controller but now I want to use a stick. Don't know a lot about sticks though, but Finkle's looks nice. There's like 89 pages, so can anyone give me an estimate of how much his costs in general?

Whoa, Finkle's sticks look...bitchin'.

I've been using the ps2 controller but now I want to use a stick. Don't know a lot about sticks though, but Finkle's looks nice. There's like 89 pages, so can anyone give me an estimate of how much his costs in general?

It will probably run about 160/170 for a standard sanwa stick.