Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Braver

Are there any common option selects in gg?

the only real universal option selects are with throw, which aren't even that good (6P+HS, 6S+HS, etc).

everything else is character specific.

Airthrow OS (j.4[H]~D~P)

AFAIK, this should be done when you have no burst, or else you're going to waste your burst.

AFAIK, this should be done when you have no burst, or else you're going to waste your burst.

then why would you push D?

AC doesn't let you OS between a throw and a FD. 4H~X results in a FD. But you can OS between a burst and a throw. The D is there to act as the burst/throw OS, but since you have no burst you get a dust instead, from which you can cancel to a FD. This ghetto 4H~D~X thing is how you do old-school airthrow spamming. I forget, can you do this on the ground?

you can still option select between throw and FD even on the ground. do a forward option select with 6P+H or 6K+H on the same frame, which will do your normal forward option select using 6P or 6K, then immediately (2f window?) input back, and you can FD cancel your 6P or 6K. johnny can kara throw using this.

as mentioned you can do it more easily in the air if you don't have a burst by using 4H+D on the same frame or spaced 1-2 frames apart (H first) and FD cancelling your j.D within it's starting (2?) frames. Keep in mind that any landing recovery you have from your j.D will still happen as it would normally even if you cancel it this way.

also the H+D works for two reasons. one, as mentioned, is when you do it on the same frame like a burst option select, and it lets you get a FD cancellable j.D due to not having burst & because the move priority is D P K S H, making H + any other button cause the other normal to come out if it can.

the game system also happens to still count j.D and 2D as specials you can cancel the first few frames of normals into (same reason you can cancel into FD at all), allowing you to do j.H(delay 1-2 frames)D or something like 6H(delay 1-2 frames)2D. this of course is also how you can option select some specials with throw, like zappa 236H(delay)P for throw + summon OS

the only real universal option selects are with throw, which aren't even that good (6P+HS, 6S+HS, etc).

everything else is character specific.

jesus christ I just read this. Don't listen to this. Option select is extremely important, and especially a few option selects give characters some ridiculously strong offensive and defensive options (testament 5S, sol 5K, venom 5S come to mind). Using it with a good 5S or 6P that can catch a jump or backdash for a combo is extremely good.

It gives a lot of characters an extremely good way to deal with low jump in okizeme as well, with 6PH allowing them to throw the character if they land or antiair their airdash/jumping move.

Your chances of catching the opponent at throw range in the air with almost any j.P/K/S is higher and lower risk than almost any j.H, so air option select can be very useful as well. (although harder to put to use due to the basic execution requirements you need to airthrow well)

Don't forget about all the optionselects using riseup- & throwinvincibility after block together with 1f jump or throw (fuzzyjump & fuzzythrow). Those are universal as well, altough more useful for some characters and in some matchups than others, & are a necessity if you want to play on a highlevel (imo).

I could write an article about them if people are interested. I am suprised that I still haven't seen anybody write about them here on dustloop since those optionselects are such staples for the japanese. On the other hand, I don't read threads here on dustloop so somebody might have writen about them already somewhere.

/peace

you can still option select between throw and FD even on the ground. do a forward option select with 6P+H or 6K+H on the same frame, which will do your normal forward option select using 6P or 6K, then immediately (2f window?) input back, and you can FD cancel your 6P or 6K.

whoooaa

Do it!

This!

I'm sure it'd be a huge help since Option Selects are probably one of the more non-intuitive things about many fighting games.

It's in the process of being processed as we speak, I hope. If my vBulletin-execution is not dropping those bnb.

Great Answers from everybody. Thanks.

What about this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytv2mCQwRgA

Is 00:18 - 00:36 is a universal option select against characters with invincible srk's?

Thats what they call a Safe jump in, in those primitive Street Fighter games, son :eng101:

Actually depends on your jump in move (hitbox) and how fast the SRK hits on start up. Cant just use every jump in move. its specific ones.

If Sols VV ever came out in 1F, you´d never intentionally jump on him again ever on his wake up