Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cryingvoid

[CS] Taokaka Component Techniques

Foreword: as far as my BB:CS is still weeks-of-overseas-shipping-away from me, I have no other option than to examine Tao play on youtube and such. And what got my attention, even earlier in CT, was her component techniques. These are the complex moves with mostly 2 inputs, combining her normals/drives/d-cancels/specials into something that clearly looks a brand new move! And with CS improvements those component techniques increased in number.

I honestly understand that what I'm going to talk about might (must) have been already discussed in general strategy thread, but no thread so far to summarize them up and point them out. I also was willing to name those techniques (if they haven't been yet), so it is up to moderators to decide, whether to delete this thread or to let it live.

So, I shall begin.

Taokaka Component Techniques:

1) Kitty Scissors (direct): 5d~c (hit), 2d~b (hit) - offensive/manoeuvre move.

Mostly used in block strings. Pretty safe and rewarding if counter hits on 2d~b part. It can be easily followed with 5a, 2a, 5b, 2b, 3c or 3c combos and strings. Most characters can interrupt the trick with 5a/2a (after 2d~b) especially when blocked (Tager even can 720 that), so the technique is not to be abused, nor randomed with experienced players.

2) Kitty Scissors (inverse): [when close to the opponent] 2d~b - manoeuvre move.

*if executed while forward dashing or running, the range is significantly increased.

The move immediately gets you behind the back of your opponent in 'ready to attack right away' state, and is perfectly followed up with j.c and hence - any combo you like. It is easily executed but a bit complicated in terms of space calculation: if you fail the spacing and happen to end not behind, but before your opponent, then you'll be greatly punished (since Tao turns around either way, the opponent will face your back this way).

3) Kitty Boomerang: [when close to the opponent] j.d~b, j.d~b - manoeuvre move.

One of CS improvements allows you to pull out than trick. Instead of landing or hitting behind, you confuse your opponent by returning to your previous location. Since the b-cancel parts are mostly invulnerable, this move is pretty safe and rewarding (you can follow up with j.c just as in Kitty Scissors inv.).

4) Kitty Wall / Ball-Wall: 214c, (6c, 66) x n loop - offensive move.

Literally following the ball with 6c hits.

Thanks to decreased start up of both 214c and 6c, this move creates 'a huge hitbox wall' closing on the opponent, making it difficult to counter because of the ball, hence forcing him to jump you over.

5) High-Spirited Kitty!: 214d, 236b x n - offensive move.

Kitty Leap, followed by CS2 right away. The main peculiarity of Kitty Leap is its unique and mostly safe angle. Most Tao-experienced players expect you to attack from above, closing in on them with your double jumps or jump drive cancels; hence the straightforward Kitty Leap is always a surprising range for them. If followed up by immediate CS2, it can serve you a nice and unpredictable random move, confusing your opponent and breaking his pace.

I figured out 5 Component Moves so far. If anyone knows more, let's reveal them, describe them and name them!

Information will be stored in the first post, making it simple for others to check.

Anyways, let moderators judge me, but in my opinion this way will be easier, than to search for those moves through 50+ pages huge strategy topic.

General gameplay tips thread? I'm up for that.

5D~C has so many other variants than just j.2D~B because it's +2 on block, and a good amount more on hit.

1b) The oldest trick in the book after it seems to be 5D~C 66 j.B+C, since some people like to mash the 7 button to get out of pressure.

1c) 5D~C->j.C makes it extremely hard to jab out of on block, and impossible on hit (9-2=7, only jabs are that fast, and they'll have to be mashed out).

1d) 5D~C->9->j.B punishes people mashing anti airs instead of timing them, and beats out some jabs too. In fact, extra jump->j.B is Taokaka's main way to punish anti-airs in CS. I'm pretty sure this also punishes both Lambda's and Mu's DPs.

1e) 5D~C->j.D~B->66->j.AA is an interesting setup for people that will keep blocking. A lot of the time, they'll actually be crouching too, and it'll count as an overhead, giving you an easy 1k. The j.D~B itself will also beat out people jumping back than doing an aerial to get out of pressure. This actually setups up for 5.5k damage off the CH too, if you confirm it properly.

1f) 5D~C->44->j.4D~any can also beat out anti-airs in their recovery.

2b) 2D~B->j.A will work in places that 2D~B->j.C won't, simply because j.A is a few frames faster. As well, any time you j.A, it gatlings into 2A pretty damn fast. As well, j.A/j.C here will count as overheads. To screw with some people, you can wait a tiny bit after the 2D~B, and go straight into 2A. In the corner, 2D~B 2A will whiff the j.A, and go directly into 2A.

4b) 214C 7 j.D~B works a little more often than 214C 6C I think, because of the speed and the range. It's hilarious when you time this to beat out Tager players that expect to sledge through it.

6) 5D~A is also extremely useful, being -2 on block, and + on hit. Its usual followups are 2B, 2A or 5B. Although you can sneak in a 66 tick throw or overhead if they're just standing there ducking after it (after all, all of the best followups from there are low.)

7) 5D~B->6A(two) and 5D~B->7->j.B+C are two other options you can do if they try to jump back. 6A now has a bit of head invincibility, so it's possible that it might even beat out some aerials here if timed right.

8) 2B->4B+C is a tick throw that can be used in just about any blockstring you want, but it can get predictable always doing it off 2B. Other tick throws can include j.2D~B->4B+C, 5D~A->66->4B+C, 5A/5B->66->4B+C, 5D~C->66->j.B+C, 5D~B->7->j.B+C, 5D~B(far)->4B+C, etc... it really all depends on where the opponent is conditioned to sit there and block, and where you can be unpredictable about it. Even if you're predictable, if it's broken there's no real penalty for you. If it's not broken you get 40%+ damage. Because of the high damage output, always be on the lookout to get some green grabs in.

9) Horizontal B cancels are variable recovery on block depending on the distance you release it at when the opponent blocks or gets hit by it. 5D~B can be as disadvantageous as -5 (still pretty safe), or as safe as -1 on block at max distance.

10) 6A(one), 5B and 5C are jump cancelable. All three aerials are available here. j.A being the fastest, j.B having the largest hitbox, and j.C being the middle (and not used as much.). j.B->j.C will gatling into each other here if you choose j.B.

11) Most normals into 5D will be a true blockstring, and you have some of your best mixups from there as well. If you choose to end off blockstrings in 236A mash, be aware that DPs will beat out out even without instant block. If somebody is good at it, Somebody can instant block->5A out of 236A mash.

12) Save your meter for counter assaulting. Tao has 9500HP. You do not want to guess wrong on a random overhead and low in a blockstring, then be put into an oki situation where you have to guess and etc... Chances are you can be dead in 2-3 bad guesses, when you just could have saved yourself from the blockstring by counter assaulting. 5B->Taunt Loop gives you 44 heat, j.C->5B->Taunt Loop gives you 37. You should have enough saved up if you performed at least one combo that round.

13) The main holes in blockstrings where somebody can DP out are after drive cancels, jump cancels, and 236A mash. Be aware of these, bait them, block, and punish with 2C->6C for 6.8k/a burst.

14) [2]7D [2]8D [2]9D and its non/4/2 cancels provide a wide amount of variability off this charge move. All of these can also use the A/B/C cancels. This option also works well against somebody doing an aerial at the start of a match. You can actually also buffer the charge off 2B, leading to some interesting results. Tsujikawa has been using this when the opponent's back is to the corner successfully, using the [2]9D version. I'm sure there's other applications we haven't even thought of yet.

Any place in blockstrings where 5D is mentioned, j.4D can be substituted. j.4D has 1 less recovery, as well.

Also remember that if your drive hits on normal hit, you're most likely at advantage in CS. So if the opponent is mashing jab and you 5B, that might be a counter hit for you. Of course that's not the case when they're blocked (in most cases).

Try to mix all of these ups as much as humanly possible. Sometimes you'll fall into patterns when you feel safe while on offense, but try not to. I know I get into bad habits a lot doing that.

Enjoy, I've got to think up more things myself for sure. There's other things possible, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

XDest

Thanks for the support! Shall I update the first post?

UPD: if the thread is to be approved, then it would be best to rename it into: [CS Edition] Taokaka intermediate/advanced offense guide

I'll post some tricks I use on a regular basis and seeing how Cryingvoid has given names for the techniques, let me try have it at a go.

Crossover Cat Jump!

Input: 2147D -> 44

What it does:

Unlike the original 214D, this technique will allow you to pounce over most of the cast to be facing the opponent, not away and the additional 44 will allow taokaka to dash towards the opponent.

Usually done in gatling/combostring. E.g. (5B -> 5C* -> 2147D -> 44 -> j.A/B/C)

Special Notes: * Denotes any Jump Cancellable moves.

May start with anything that leads into a Jump Cancellable move

Go! Halt! Gotcha!

Input: 5D~A -> 669 -> *j.B+C

What it does:

Using D~A to keep your opponent in pressure sure is fun, once they realise mashing/continuous blocking will not help them, some tend to be a little creative and jump away to escape. Once you get them in this mindset, this technique comes in play and leads to a nice taunt loop that does 3-4k

Special Notes: Every character has different hitbox, experiment with the 669 input.

In some instances, an immediate jump is sufficient.

766 works on larger characters.

** Redux Edition!: When your opponent is seasoned to take this,

they tend to do jump away AND GRAB at the same time,

causing your throw to be teched almost immediately(or at least in my country).

In this situation, use an approaching j.A to beat their grab and immediately follow up with j.B+C.

If you execute a throw, you will be subjected 60-90? frames of 'throw reject miss-able' period.

So this will force them to eat a throw reject miss into your combo

Kitty Hadouken!

Input: 6C -> 6C -> 6C ->.....

What it does:

Catches opponent on air into repeated 6C

Usually done as a super random anti-air.

In most cases, 6C will lead you to do a 6.8k taunt loop,

however if they're on air, your timing for the initial taunts will decide if the whole loop would occur.

Don't risk it, some damage than dropping a combo and having no damage!

Does around 4k+++

Special Notes: You can even Rapid Cancel immediately after a 6C hits for another 6C if they're too low for more repetition

Suggested number of 6C is 4 or less, varies with height. The higher the opponent, the more 6Cs you can perform. End it with 236C if they're going to be on the ground level.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll try to come up with more things since this is all off my head and something I do frequently. I think XDest has already covered most of the gimmicks we can use.

I have a request to the superiors to write about the just 6C usage for this thread. Since neither CH 5B, nor CH 5C connect to it any more, is it doomed to randomness?

Not really "randomness". Now it's just part of her high risk/high reward mixup. It was really dumb easy to score a CH 5B in CT or a CH 5C poke, so they did a good thing in removing that option.

@Cryingvoid

You can still use 6C in blockstrings and you can still use it to catch opponents from far when they're falling on the ground trying to do something, and even if they block it you're going to make them aware of that option, so it's still ok.

Tao's offensive game relies all in mentally conditioning the opponent on when and how your pressure is going to end between a pause and an other. Sometimes you'll want to end a blockstring prematurely to go for a throw mixup or a jump cancel, you condition them to be aware of that and the following times you throw something different in order to confuse them and get in. 6C is part of that whole mindgame. When they think they can jump back or that they can start doing something that's when you're going to use it. But with that said, 2C now is much better than 6C for that purpose, since you can link it into 6C. You'll notice a lot of japanese Taos now include 2C in their blockstrings for that purpose: keeping the opponent honest at even at max range and at the same time still making them afraid of lows. That's also when you're going to try risky mixups like her 236CC at a certain range.

I have a request to the superiors to write about the just 6C usage for this thread. Since neither CH 5B, nor CH 5C connect to it any more, is it doomed to randomness?

The only things that combo into 6C now are FC 2C,CH j.C, 4B+C, and a few impractical RC shenanigans. CH j.C only works if you're low enough to hit them with it, land, and then 6C.

What you sohuld be using those moves for now is going into taunt loop. Off of counterhit 5B, do 5B>6A>Taunt Loopx6 for 4k. Off of CH 5C, go into mixup.

Yeah, exactly. The oldest trick for that is to do 3C 5D~B [no hit] and 6C is slow enough to catch somebody rollteching first thing. Catches more people than it should.

Loops on Tager were insane! )

Also, I pretty much admire mixup & crossover techniques with 2 charge -> 8D. Those are really confusing for the opponent.

But I still don't quite understand the meaning of Sticky Kitty mixups. What is the point of smoking out your opponent of the corner with j.214D?

awesome video. I'm surprise it didn't have tao's j.b -> taunt loop corner trap. If anyone wants to try it in training:

Put the cpu in the corner and have it on tech forward.

3c -> 5d~c (whiff) -> j.b -> TLoop

Not sure how many taunts you can get. I got 5k off it.

j.2DxN vs. Tager was hilarious, definitely taking that one.

I can't watch the vid from work. Any chance you could describe what this loop involves?

I can't watch the vid from work. Any chance you could describe what this loop involves?

That's from CS1 anyway. There was Cat Spirit 2 (236bxN) loop with crazy amount of repetitions on Tager (thanks to his huge hitbox).