Sign in to follow this  
CrazyDazed

[/] Slash Johnny DB Combos For Those Who Are Interested FAQ

Slash Johnny Divine Blade Combos For Those Who Are Interested FAQ

I am extremely bored and I would like to share my knowledge of his combos! Mostly his Divine Blade combos. They are difficult to do when you are starting out. However, with lots of practice, you should be able to do them in your sleep!

What you probably WON'T find in this FAQ are: 1) Non-DB combos, 2) Black widow spiders, and 3) Woman's boobs.

If you have a Slash console, you will find their training mode is all kinds of awesome. In the options, set MIST FINER to LV2 START, set TENSION to 100 or Infinite. That way if you mess up a combo, just hit Select button and you will have lvl2 Mist Finer ready without having to recoin at all! You are ready to go! Don't forget to put dummy on Back Recovery!

The Most Basic DB Combo

start right next to opponent, H, mid MF, dash, KH, DB FRC, jKD, Ensenga

Specific notation - H 236K 66 KH 623S S FRC KD 41236H

The only tricky part is Divine Blade part -- Just get used to FRC timing and practice a lot! This combo is basically stripped down DB combo without all kinds of bells and whistles.

Practice! When you get comfortable with The Most Basic DB Combo, move on to:

Jump Installed DB Combo

start right next to opponent, H, mid MF, dash, KH, DB FRC, jK, djKSD, Ensenga

Whoa! How did I do that? You can't do double jump after Divine Blade FRC?! Easy -- JUMP INSTALL!

Specific notation - H 236K 66 K8H 623S S FRC K djKSD 41236H

Notice that 8 in between K and H? That's when you jump install for Divine Blade so you'd be able to double jump or air dash after FRC. Neat eh!

Basically, you are making the game think that you jump cancelled with K, but jump gets interrupted by H, and keeps the jump property until you stop comboing. So, in this case, jump is 'installed' for Divine Blade, therefore, gained an ability to doublejump/airdash after DB FRC. Don't worry if you dont understand, just tap up after K then hit H and move on!

Practice! When you get comfortable with Jump Installed DB Combo, move on to:

Whoa, wait! Before we get too hasty here, it is a good idea to start playing matches with people with these combos. Get the feel of them. Now, later on you might notice that the distance is starting to become a problem because you can't reach them with DB fast enough or they are too far away to be able to dash, KH, DB, etc. The solution to this is JACKHOUND!

It is still a good idea to dash if you know that you'll be close enough to dash. Otherwise, substitute dash with Jackhound!

Jackhound

The motion for Jackhound is 214H. Simple, no? Try doing it after lvl2 mid Mist Finer and try to follow up with KH DB. Unfortunately, it won't work. 214H alone isn't giving it enough untech time. For that reason, you will have to do Jackhound from Mist Stance. It will give Jackhound a longer untech time, therefore the ability to connect KH after Jackhound.

The motion for it? 236[K]3214H or 2363214H or 236[P]3214H. Looks ugly. Anyway, it doesn't matter which P, K, or S is held down because you want to be in Mist Stance anyway so choose whatever button is comfortable with you. My preference is K so I'll use K in this guide.The catch is, if you prematurely hit H before completing the 214 motion, you will get out of Mist Stance! You don't want that! Good news is that you don't have to actually rush it, just take your time with it and it will perform Mist Stanced Jackhound fluidly. Except when fighting Potemkin, he falls too fast. Damn Potemkin for making me doing it faster!

Now you would probably want to practice the execution of Jackhound. It's going to be worth it in long run!

2D Jackhound

Specific notation - 2D 236[K]3214H

You will want the dummy to never recover from that simple looking two hits combo. If the dummy recovers, there might be three reasons for it: 1) Dummy is too light; 2) Doing Jackhound too fast, improper timing; and 3) Poor execution. Just keep practicing! Practice makes perfect!

Also, having Mist Finer at level 3 makes this a LOT easy, simply because Johnny goes into Mist Stance almost instantly with level 3 ready. So, start with level three, then move on to level two, and finally level one. You will be using level one Mist Stanced Jackhound a lot. Good news is if you can consistently do level one Mist Stanced Jackhound, you'll do level 2 and 3 with EASE!

Practice! When you get comfortable with Jackhound, move on to:

Jackhound Jump Installed DB Combo

H, mid MF, Jackhound, KH, DB FRC, jK, djKSD, Ensenga

Specific notation - H 236K 236[K]3214H K8H 623S S FRC K djKSD 41236H

Whew! This is pretty much all kinds of things you have learned previously jammed into this single and damaging combo. You can start this combo from training mode's starting position, so you don't have to reposition at all if you mess up and start over!

Notice that it is ideal for you to be further away, the easier Jackhound combo will be. It is also ideal for your opponent to be almost touching the ground when you hit them with Jackhound, so they will not tech out prematurely. Read on the next post for more details on this topic!

You might notice that you would be either on same side or other side of opponent after Jackhound. That is ok! Things like that will happen often in actual matches, so it's good for you to be able to pay attention and switch sides accordingly for executing Divine Blade!

Divine Blade Combo Variations

Versus Light Characters

When fighting against Millia, Jam, Bridget, anyone else who are light (less than 1.00 weight), you'd probably find trying to connect KH would be a bit more trickier to land than on normal/heavyweights. This is because Jackhound has fixed untech time and lightweights float too goddamn high. The other alternative combo on these lightweights would be:

H, mid MF, Jackhound, PS, jcKS, djKSD Ensenga

Not exactly a DB combo. Boo. It still does a decent chunk of damage though. Better than nothing! The slash would have to be close slash.

However, if you use low MF instead of mid MF, you might be able to dash instead of Jackhound and be able to do DB combo as normal. Low MF floats them straight up, but has shorter range than mid MF. Mid MF floats up and away from Johnny, making Jackhound feasible.

Versus Heavy Characters

Doing DB combo on Potemkin can be very tight on timing, and if you screw up you might eat their Potemkin Buster and that is scary! What a thrill! Basically you will want to make your Jackhound execution faster and tighter, and add some few more hits so he will float higher for the rest of combo.

H, mid MF, Jackhound, 2PKH, DB FRC, KPS dj KSD Ensenga

Crouching P will catch Potemkin just before he hits the ground, and adding more hits to air combo so he will eat Ensenga in the end.

Substitutions

You can substitute some normals for more damaging options. Obvious subtitution is replacing kicks with slash. Example:

H, mid MF, Jackhound, SH, DB FRC, S, djKSD Ensenga

You can delay a little bit after connected Divine Blade for air slash to connect so it won't whiff above their body. If you don't feel confident that you will get close slash before Divine Blade, then use kick instead. If you get far slash instead of close slash, the combo will miss.

You can also substitute the last part of combo to Ensenga for more damaging string. It is a little picky on opponent's location with respect to Johnny, but with practice you'll have it down easy.

H, mid MF, Jackhound, SH, DB FRC, S, djSHD Ensenga

The difference here was double jump SHD Ensenga in the end. In fact that DB combo is the most damaging combo with one FRC. Well, you can start the combo with whatever you want, but don't start with 2K, 2S, or any other normals that prorates. It'll make the damage scale too badly.

No meter?

If you don't have enough meter to DB FRC for whatever reasons, you can just recoin, or go for air combo after K, close S string.

If you decide to recoin, you can immediately dash towards opponent after recoining, and try to air throw their recovery attempt. Bonus points if you can throw them into corner for Bacchus Sigh goodness.

Option Select Combo?!

Too bad the actual match isn't training mode -- the opponent won't be in ideal position for you to start DB combos on. You will often end up being too far to be unable to DB FRC in time before they tech. Good news is that there is an alternative combo for this uncertain situation!

H, mid MF, Jackhound, KH, DB FRC --

Let's pause right there. In a typical match setting, your Jackhound will often put you a little wee too bit far from opponent for you to KH, but you will do DB FRC it anyway. You will have a little surprise for your opponent if they are frantically mashing on teching out.

H, mid MF, Jackhound, KH, DB FRC, 4HD, Ensenga

What happened there?! If opponent did not tech out, you will connect H, then continue the combo as usual and end with Ensenga. Looks good, eh! However, what happens if they do tech out before H? Notice that I have been holding 4 (away from opponent) as well -- That's right, air throw their recovery attempt! It works like a charm. There you go, option select combo. If you have trouble trying to connect H (or air throwing), just press H immediately after FRC'ing, no delays at all. So cool. Johnny is so cool.

What's even better is if your opponent antipicates your Divine Blade and burst there, you will FRC it and block their burst. Too good!

But wait! What if you have at least 50% tension? Want to look stylish? Look no further!

H, mid MF, Jackhound, KH, DB FRC, 4H, DB FRC, air dash, KSD Ensenga

This combo is especially devatasting after you build up some guard meter, otherwise it does almost same damage as H, mid MF, Jackhound, SH, DB FRC, S, djSHD Ensenga version. Nonetheless, it is still a good combo plus option select to boot.

Is there more?!

I keep trying to find more DB combos, but I often find myself constantly adjusting little things here and there. The combos I have mentioned are pretty much the foundation of DB combos, and you can change a little here and there. Don't be afraid and make the magic happen!

Video Demonstration!

Check this thread http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=45078 for video demostration!

thank you CrazyDazed, that is what i was looking for, it would be nice if you could do another thread for other combos if needed with all the explanations like here. again thank you very much.

Stupid question, but about practicing the MF Jackhound.. Every once in a while I can sometimes see the FD-circle popping up, then Johnny Jackhounds, is this a MF Jackhound? Or should I keep practicing some more >_>?

no...it's regular jackhound. Make sure you're in MF stance before you do jackhound...all you should see is Johnny go into MF stance, then zip across the screen....if you see anything else, then you're doing it wrong.....

can anyone list some 1-hit combo? or are they basically the same? in mid screen after landing a succesful lvl2 upper finer, coin, upper finer, repeat til almos to the corner, coin, iad, k,s,d e for one hit works on who? edit: thanks for the tip darkman!

JOFan....they are basically the same....varies on character of course, but all follow the same basic pattern.... that combo will only work on heavy characters.....everyone else will be too light for it to work...Also, I would just keep it at just one MF loop....not worth it to waste your coins, especially since MF does shit damage.....I know it works on Eddie & Venom...haven't tried it on anyone else....

Sorry for all the stupid questions, but does the first combo.. (H, mid-MF, dash, KH, DB FRC, j.K, j.D, Ensenga) work against all characters? I was practicing on Jam and she seem'd to be just a bit to high to get hit with DB.

Zewo: On Jam, delay either the dash or the K a bit. Should work fine. On heavier characters you typically have to do dash 2P so spacing is a problem, so JACKHOUND if you're not confident with spacing. Generally speaking you might as well Jackhound if you have any doubts as to spacing on any character ;(

Since Jackhound prorates 60%, I did some damage test on a standard DB FRC combo if anyone is interested. Venom (dmg modifier 1.0): 5HS > MFlv2 > dash > 5K[8] > 5HS > DB FRC > SKSD > Ensenga - 10 hits #RELOAD: 250 dmg SLASH Mid MFlv2: 241 dmg SLASH Low MFlv2: 236 dmg SLASH Mid MFlv2 > Mist Stance Jackhound: 239 dmg - 11 hits His strength surely was toned down, but he gained massive combo/setup range, so it's all good.

Is there a way to consistently land the JI'd DB FRC combo? I've been practicing it alot now, and it seems every once in a while, the j.S (in the j.K, JC, j.K, j.S, j.D Ensenga) seems to be completely over them. Also, sometimes I seem to be below them after the DB FRC (missing the j.K).. So basically, what I'm asking is, is there a target height for Johnny to be after the FRC?

depend on whether the char is lit, med, or heavy.. and also depend on how soon u input the db frc motion as u catch the opponent with dash, k,[8]. if u are practising on light char such as baiken just aim it so the dashing k catch baiken deep to make sure the k come out after the frc. other than that i'd suggest u try with p,s,k,s,d,e version if have trouble with the ksks variation. hope this helps

Will I run into any problems if I use 6239 to jump install the DBT?

It's a bit easier for me since I play Venom and I'm using a pad.. I keep messing up the other way.

i use JO on pad.. and i find its so much harder to do the 6239 motion to ji the db then just pressing kick, UP, hs, into db frc combos. but i suppose it'll work too.

Hard Slash isn't jump cancellable so tigerkneeing DB does not work. Zewo, just hit DB as early as possible. Keep practicing to get the feel for it. Stuff whiffs because you might be too high or opponent is too high. You can change the timing after hitting them with DB, there is a long delay before they are able to tech out after DB.

Reading that FAQ was almost like watching an infomercial; now I want to BUY the combos. :-D I'm just happy I can finally do them on a pad ^_^

Should add that against lighter characters, if the opponent is further away, you can do kamae (mist stance) dash canceled jack hound, it is a couple of frames faster (well, the speed is lost when you use time to dash) and has a longer untechable time than the normal kamae jack hound. The input is 236(delay alittle)63214H. The trick is to get the second 6 to initiate the dash and then cancel it into jack hound.

EDIT: And yes, I believe it works from all distances in the corner.

I made this retarded setup in #Reload, so I'm not sure if it still applied in Slash. Anyway it seems to work pretty well to catch people off guard: 6HS RC, 2D, MFLow(heavy characters) / MFMid(normal), dash, K, HS, DB etc. So yeah, this would be even more worthwhile if 6HS was an overhead, but it seems to work pretty well for me. Most people won't see a low hit coming after a 6HS, and since the 2D gets them in the air already the MF will hit them higher and makes the dash K connection easier. I'm thinking, though, a Jackhound might be possible after the 2D?

Does not doing the dash in HS,MidMFlv.2 [dash] K,HS,DB FRC change the time the opponent can tech out? When I was first trying these I forgot to add the dash but for the most part they still worked on everyone I tried on.

Sign in to follow this