Sign in to follow this  

Bridget Basics

Getting started

Warming the oven before you stick your meat in.

http://dustloop.com/ggac/index.html

acronyms

HSS_#for Yo-yo SET direction

HSB for Yo-yo BUFFER

HSR for Yo-yo RELEASE of buffer

KSMH for Kick Start My Heart, 236+K

KSMH~P

KSMH~K

Basic Strategy and Gameplan

Normals

What sets Bridget apart from the rest of the cast is, without a question, a set of some of the highest-priority normal pokes in the game. While this does not make Bridget a keepaway character exclusively by any means, it is a solid gameplan in most of the matchups to bide your time at the edge of Bridget's range -- meaning, typically, far outside the opponent's range -- and wait for mistakes.

With this in mind I want to talk about the normals that I feel are most important:

Far 5S f.s

Bridget's equivalent to Axl's standing punch. One of the most aggravating pokes in the game. Can cancel into yo-yo set, 2S or 236K (and a few less important cancels). When you're first starting Bridget, make this your go-to poke.

2P

This, however, is the true god-poke. Loses to more moves than far 5S on a one to one basis and has less range, but is exactly as fast to execute, very safe on whiff and at a ridiculous +3 frame advantage on guard. Also has the same three important cancels -- yo-yo set, 2S, 236K -- as well as 2P, 2K and 2D. After the opponent has blocked this move they cannot interrupt 5K, far 5S or 2D.

2S

Very low priority -- by Bridget's standards at least -- but has excellent flowcharts on block as it can be cancelled into a whiffed 2K, 236K, a yo-yo set or a jump and it can follow after a far 5S or 2P. Careful not to use on its own too often.

2D

No kidding. Some players expect Bridget to base his game around far 5S flowcharts and are willing to take a few risks to get close. One character-length inside its maximum range, 2D is exactly as fast as far 5S and 2P. While disadvantageous on block, it can be cancelled into 236K if you are desperate -- but, more importantly, has enough pushback that most characters cannot make use of your disadvantage. If this hits, go hog wild. Look at 2D as your way to keep people honest.

j.P

Use immediately as you ascend for a jump. This will beat many problematic moves in unexpected situations -- examples are Testament's 6H at its maximum range when Bridget is jumping forward, Slayer's 6H from most ranges when Bridget is high jumping backwards or straight up, etc. Very important in annoying roll FDC runaway.

j.S

Extremely long horizontal range. Can be used to cover an air backdash quite safely, as even if it gets counterhit (which is rare) you will typically be too far away for the opponent to capitalize.

I would advise newer players to stay away from overusing 6S at random and to refrain from ever using 6P in blocked strings.

The Basic Blocked Flowcharts

A long time ago, American Bridget players pretty much all looked like this:

[dash, far 5S, set the yo-yo, dash, far 5S, call the yo-yo back] x N

Bridget has many more options when the yo-yo has been set and especially when the opponent is caught between Bridget and the yo-yo. The most obvious time this situation presents itself is on the opponent's wakeup; throw the yo-yo behind them and you're golden. Learning how to make it happen when the opponent hesitates makes Bridget's simple basic poking a serious threat and can cause people who are not familiar with the matchup to really fall apart.

Optimal strings are dependent on the matchup. What you need to keep in mind is any time you set the yo-yo out, you are handing the opponent a big fat chunk of frame advantage. If they are expecting it, there is usually something they can do to turn the momentum around; some characters always have an answer at hand from all ranges and others simply need to be pushed to the optimal distance.

This all got much trickier in Slash. The forward yo-yo set was slowed down by five frames between #R and Slash. Cancelling level 3 moves into the yo-yo set 5 or 6 was -8 in #R; in Slash, many characters can hit you for free if they know it is coming especially if their in your group you casual with, yo-yo set 5 and 6 pressure works a lot better against characters in a tourney especaiily some with less Defensive Bridget experience. It now lasts as long as many of the game's slowest standing dusts, making it fairly trivial for smart opponents to react to the yo-yo set and escape your pressure. The 4 and 7 yo-yo sets are the same speed as they were in #R, and are in general much more useful in this sort of situation, but not quite the immediate threat that the #R forward yo-yo set was.

With that novel out of the way the blocked flowcharts are actually pretty straightforward; we'll use Ky as an example. If the opponent attempts to take the momentum with Stun Edge after a blocked far 5S, you can anticipate and 236K, then P at the maximum distance of the skid-stop followup. If the opponent expects this, he may try to Greed Sever over the KSMH for the counterhit. To deal with that, you can either set the yo-yo and block or gatling into 2S, either stuffing his attempt or putting him into blockstun. Always remember that 2S gatlings into 2K; this can set up a lot of counterhit far 5S if the opponent flinches on reaction to the animation, and is more advantageous than simply allowing the 2S to finish on its own.

Miscellanies

j.D will get you killed if you don't know how to use it.

The ideal way is 214K, then j.D as soon as possible. Have fun accidentally bursting! This makes the move much more difficult to block, but more importantly it's completely safe on block. You can use this to waste time while you're waiting for the 4set to catch up to you, or as a throw bait, or as an overhead.

Under normal circumstances, 5D is almost prohibitively unsafe. It's a whopping -19 on block, and many players are able to consistently block it on reaction. With the yo-yo behind the opponent, the story is a little different. 5D can be buffered into 214K, and the post-dust homing jump can be executed with any of the three upward directions. There is an option-select trick you can do off of this by buffering the 5D into 2147K. If the dust was blocked, you will cancel into the roll; otherwise, you will do the homing jump as normal, without using a roll.

This sounds so stupid, but running Starship FRC as okizeme is a deceptive throw bait. Starship has an extremely long and completely invincible startup time of thirteen frames; this gives an antsy opponent enough rope with which to hang themselves, so to speak. In the event that you guessed wrong and they blocked, just FRC it.

Rolling Idou FDC effectively allows Bridget to quadruple-jump when the yo-yo is out. If you are not actively poking at the opponent, you can try wasting time with this. The input is 214(K)~S. Careful to be precise with your inputs; if you accidentally tap 7, you will use up your double jump/airdash option and probably not even notice it.

Possibly to make up for all the ways he can sneak in a tick throw, Bridget has possibly the worst throw in the game when the yo-yo is not onscreen. The damage is very low and it leaves you in the opponent's throw range. Throwing is still an important part of your mixups, but be very careful that what you're doing after the throw is safe. I personally simply walk backwards outside of throw range and go for pressure; a somewhat common mixup after a throw from Japanese videos is either throw bait (usually Starship FRC) or yo-yo set into blocked pressure, but it seems to get dealt with on reaction fairly consistently.

B&B combos

2K 2P 2P 2P 2D

Don't laugh. This combo will knock down at a decent distance for oki and serves as a long, grueling burst bait. You need to land this just once to get a chance at something much more damaging. The 2D can be hit by bursts, but not on reaction to the hit.

2K>c.s(1) >6P> c.s(1)xx 236K~P

More damaging ground combo that knocks down, but is more of a commitment on block and especially on FD and is very burst-unsafe. Good follow-up to a yo-yo return or Roger Rush that connects on standing opponents.

2K 5S©(1) 6P 5S©(2) 236K, P

Connects only on crouching opponents.

The following combos are typically for maximizing damage at the end of a string, and are less common as level 3 moves into yo-yo return require much stricter yo-yo placement than #R:

With the yo-yo behind a standing opponent, 5S(f), yo-yo return, IAD j.P j.P j.P j.2S, land 5P 2D

There are several variations of the airdash string -- against most of the taller characters, I prefer IAD j.K j.S j.P j.K.

With the yo-yo behind a crouching opponent, 5S(f), 236K (whiff) P

Useful for cornering the opponent.

Deep j.D, 6S, jump forward j.S j.2S double jump j.S j.2S

2D, FRC, 5K, 6S, jump forward j.S j.2S double jump j.S j.2S

2D, 236K, RC, 6S, jump forward j.S j.2S double jump j.S j.2S

Against airdash, 6P 6S jump forward j.S j.2S double jump j.S j.2S

Against other jumping attacks, 6P (CH), wait, 6S, jump forward j.S j.2S double jump j.S j.2S

623P, FRC, 6S, jump forward j.S j.2S double jump j.S j.2S

623P, FRC, jump forward j.P j.2S double jump j.S j.2S

Blocked blue burst, Running 5K, 6S, jump forward j.S j.2S double jump j.S j.2S

Mixups and Okizeme

Delayed Yo-Yo Return

Very simple 50/50 mixup. With the yo-yo behind the opponent, press and hold H. You now have two easy options:

6K, release H, dash, 5S©(1) 6P 5S©(2) 236K, P

2D, release H, optional short dash, 6S, jump forward j.S j.2S double jump j.S j.2S

The followup combo listed for the 6K variant is the most damaging tensionless combo. Any ground combo will work; you can choose to simply use burst-bait strings.

Roger Rush high/low mixup

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

The most useful mixup off of this is in the corner:

236H, running jump, low airdash j.K j.P j.2S land 5P 2D

236H, running jump, land, 2K ground combo or 2D FRC combo

While some of the old midscreen mixups involving this move are technically still possible, they are so subpar that I really don't feel like covering them here. There are almost always superior options. Roger Rush is a good option on okizeme off of 236K, P, but mostly for the blockstun and guard gauge manipulation.

2D Okizeme

On the opponent's wakeup, you generally have enough time to set the yo-yo back, dash in and do a gatling combo long enough that the yo-yo finishes sliding behind the opponent.

The easiest option is 2K and then both hits of close 5S, like this:

2K 2P 5P 2P 2D, dash, 4set, dash, 2K, 5S©(2)

By the time the close 5S has completed, the yo-yo should be at its destination. From there you can follow with a blocked string, a roll, whatever.

Your dirty little secret here: This is actually rarely a truly perfect meaty. The opponent will often have just enough time to backdash easily or one-frame jump. The best workaround is to try to work out a few strings that punish them if they want to get antsy and use those to set up the more optimal okizeme. A basic example:

2K 2P 5P 2P 2D, dash, forward set, 2S, yo-yo return

In somewhat deep, this will snag most attempted backdashes out of the air and set up a running j.S j.2S double jump j.S j.2S. If your reflexes are very fast you can attempt to hold the hardslash button if they guard the 2S but release if you catch their backdash.

In general Bridget has less in the way of straightforward, easy mixups off of a knockdown compared to #R, but is just as capable of short bursts of lockdown.

- learn how to FD 214K (rolling shennagins) consistently. Bridget's best asset (imo) is his mobility...its what sets him apart from everyone else in the entire game (save maybe chipp, but id say that Bridget has better mobility then him too).

- Learn FRC points. Every single one of them has some use to it, especially 2D FRC and Starship FRC...go figure that those 2 FRC points are also the hardest to execute because the timing changes based on whether you hit from afar/late, hit close up/early,or whiff it.

-Learn BnB's. Bridget's damage sucks compared to the rest of the cast, period. he does have some huge hitting combo's (like 2-4 maybe)...but the chances of landing those specific combo's are rare (if you learn the glitch, the opportunity increases alot, but you could also put yourself at a bigger risk in exchange). With this in mind, its imperative that you always land (at least) the basic combo's. Later on, you'll understand that being more creative = better combo's, better damage....just better results overall, but you'll cross that bridge when you get there

-Get in the habit of holding down HS after you set a yo yo. With the right positioning, this has the possibility of creating a nice little guessing game for your opponent....as time progresses, this setup is gonna require alot more creativity on your part because the threat behind it is going to diminish against more experienced players. Once you get that down, learn how to roll with the yo yo still buffered (input = 2145K or 2146K)....time pending, learn the glitch, then learn how to roger call out of it (or super out of it for flashy points).

Misc. Stuff:

- dont spam Starship (623P). Starship =/= a legit dragon punch

- dont spam pokes

- learn when to do 6S, when to do 6P, and when to just block

- learn to cancel your pokes with rolls (214k)

- learn to 1f jump

- learn to not spam 6P...its good...but its not great, and alot of things in the game just beat it out.

- WATCH VIDEOS....and when you watch them, watch most/all of them. There are some good bridget players....and then there are some bad ones.....regardless, u can still learn something from watching it, whether its a new combo, some setup you didnt think about before, matchups, etc.

And last...dont get frustrated if you lose alot. Bridget is easy on paper...thats it. To get really good with him, you just have to muster thru the bs that loses to other character's stuff and not get mad at the fact that u die in ~2 mistakes, but cant kill someone unless they make 3-6 mistakes....it sucks...alot...but if u can put that behind you, your already on the road to being a better player.

If someone isnt addressed, or there's a question about something i said here, or something else that comes up later, dont hesitate to ask (whether here...or maybe in the Q and A thread might be a better spot). Perhaps someone else will also give u their insight or adjust something i said as well.

Good Luck!

Okay, this is it for now. If you guys could give this a once-over and let me know what you think I'm missing or ask me any questions, I'd appreciate it. I plan on rewriting the section on blocked flowcharts as it's sloppy and using Ky as an example just made things a little less clear.

You might want to tack some stuff in about Roger Get, unless you were thinking about keeping a seperate thread for it. I think it'd be pretty valuable for both new Bridget players and those who are transitioning from #R. Jais has some good info in his thread already. Let's get some activity back in the Bridget forums guys! :)

I'll help out when I get some time soon but for now here's one thing different and new from #R. Gatlin Dust Combo (More damage than Rolling Dust but still sucks) 5D~8~j.2S~8~j.2S~8~j.S~j.K~j.S~j.K~j.S~j.2S~9+j.S~j.2S~(Starship/HS_mixup) I have yet to hit the last hit of the Rolling Dust combo. I've another Dust combo that I've found to be the most damaging to-date. 5D~8~j.2S~8~j.2S~HSS_3, wait, HS, wait, falling j.2S~9+j.S~j.2S~(Starship/HSS_mixup) I believe starship isn't a bad ender becaue for the most part you'll land first and have a better chance at anti-air or even air throw because it puts the defender on the defensive to land.

hrmm... it's probably just me or maybe my brother, but when I block a j.D it scores me a free throw in most cases since it pulls the opponent in now in slash.

Just to be sure I will look into it. Just jumping and doing j.D is definitely a free throw. I had a friend test this with me for a long while and I think you have to IB to get a chance at the throw off of 214K~D. The location of the yo-yo does have a very slight effect on your trajectory, it could be one of the sets is not ideal for this.

Here's the lo-down on it.

If Buri is ascending it is not in your (tick throw||pressure) favor

If Buri is descending it is.

If the yo-yo is thrown at a (6||4(final destination)||any placement relative to these)than a rolling j.D is in your favor. Example jump HS_S3~Roll~j.D

Allow me to further explain:

If it is in your favor it means you can pressure them: As in it counts as a while landing combo with beat. If it is not in your favor you will eat a throw when you land end of story.

You could throw them yes, but it's only a tick from a j.D. **"If you are landing next to someone then it's never in your 100% favor to throw" because you still have to deal with the whole landing recovery frame. The trick is during your landing recovery can't block frame, they are in guard stun from your j.D. So when you land a hold on someone from a j.D it is usually because your hold takes 1 frame to execute and your holding them out of whatever move they re trying to hit you with before their move comes out. If you abuse the ascending j.D you will get held first. BUT a good trick I've been doing is 66~9+j.D on crossup after a hold. Which if they guard it's in their favor to throw me when I land because it's an ascending j.D and they recover from the guard stun before I finish landing. So i have then been throwing out another immediate 8+j.D and counter hitting certian characters 6HS when they try to hold me so IFF they miss the one frame they have to hold me then I get free combo otherwise I get held anyways. 6HS is slow for these and more( Hos, Eddie, May, Sol, Pot, Bridget lol, etc.) From there you can combo a 7+j.P~j.2S~7+j.S~j.2S~HS_mixup

Throw-66-9-Neutral-(cross-up) j.D (guarded)-land-8+j.D-land-7+j.P~j.2S~7+j.S~j.2S~HS_mixup

If either j.D connects you can combo the 7+j.P~etc. This set-up assumes they guard the cross-up.

"-" for sequence

"~" for gatlin cancel

HS_S#for Yo-yo SET direction

HS_B for Yo-yo BUFFER

HS_R for Yo-yo RELEASE of buffer

** Unless it's a command throw or the move you while landing with has slip. Example Buri (ch)j.2S. You can combo a throw off of it. But even then it's more on your favor to do c.S(1)~6P~c.S(1)~KSMH~P. Plus he has the worst throw in the game.

Wait, are we discussing the same thing here? JetEnduro is saying the throw is free for the defender on block. I've found that this is only true in the case that the Bridget player did the j.D too deep. Setting up training mode to run up into the move's max distance, 7set, then 214K~D and hold up to jump, I cannot move into throw range even if I IB all three hits of the moves. If Bridget is right in your face, then the throw is free for the defender. Bridget seems to be at frame advantage on 214K~D even after 7set, as an interrupt attempt with Testament's close slash (five frames) consistently loses to Bridget's 5K (six frames), but the range where Testament's close slash is that fast is so short that I want to test more before I say for sure.

When used in this manner j.D seems to have a consistent answer in the form of faultless defense.

Which if they guard it's in their favor to throw me when I land because it's an ascending j.D and they recover from the guard stun before I finish landing. So i have then been throwing out another immediate 8+j.D and counter hitting certian characters 6HS when they try to hold me so IFF they miss the one frame they have to hold me then I get free combo otherwise I get held anyways.

It's been my experience that j.D is an OK throw bait, but most characters have a forward option select that will beat it for enormous damage (Anji, Testament, Potemkin). Admittedly this assumes a lot of familiarity with the matchup on part of the defender, but it can be a big risk.

We said the same thing =] Lol, yours was just a lot simpler to understand. I not only explained the situation of Buri being thrown but explained how Buri can safely do a j.D and have pressure options after and not be held. Then I went off on a tangent I felt like sharing with the hold bait from an ascending cross-up j.D. I'll try and make things clearer but still technical in the future.

When used in this manner j.D seems to have a consistent answer in the form of faultless defense.It's been my experience that j.D is an OK throw bait, but most characters have a forward option select that will beat it for enormous damage (Anji, Testament, Potemkin). Admittedly this assumes a lot of familiarity with the matchup on part of the defender, but it can be a big risk.

Correct. I have only used this against the players I play with frequently, never in a tourney.

Mucho props for the excellent breakdown. I'm sure a lot of players will eat it up and ask for desert on top. Perhaps if I were the mod of the Millia board, I would suddenly get motivated to post everything I know....mmm, nah. I'd still be way too lazy. Good job bro.

I've recently discovered a quirky link, that does hit standing and crouching characters. I've yet to hit standing venom though. CH 6K-2K It's highly impractical but Combo Video / brag worthy. So far I've got 81 damage mid-screen CH 6K-2K~f.S~2D 132 damage corner HSS_4, CH 6K-2K~f.S~HS-66-c.S(1)~6P~c.S(1)~KSMH~P

2D has been messed with in some undocumented fashion. It seems to hit sooner at point blank than before. Point blank 2D FRC seems to be after hitstop on all characters now. Just throwing that out there.

I know I'm a pretty bad Bridget player, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

The ideal way is 214K, then j.D as soon as possible. Have fun accidentally bursting! This makes the move much more difficult to block, but more importantly it's completely safe on block. You can use this to waste time while you're waiting for the 4set to catch up to you, or as a throw bait, or as an overhead.

Quoted for Emphasis. I know Andrew touched on this, but I think it's pretty useful.

I think this is one of the best things that Slash added; a decent Bridget post-throw oki.

Throw> 4set > 214k> j.D> 6s> B&B air combo. Good for about 134 damage if it hits.

If the j.D is blocked:

j.D> yoyo recall> dash-in> begin pressure/mixup

NOTE:

-These work flawlessly off of a throw mid-screen. If you do it in the corner, the pushback will put you out of range for the j.D to hit.

-I've had these combos work off of 2D rather than a throw before, but it's kinda sketchy and I often find myself out of range on the j.D

Zappa can reversal throw a 4set after ground throw for free, I don't think anybody else can but I could be wrong. Most characters' forward option selects will counterhit this setup. There are workarounds of course, like blatant Starship in their face. You can backdash, but so many characters' 4H or 6H hit backdashes for big damage and it's a big risk IMO.

Zappa can reversal throw a 4set after ground throw for free, I don't think anybody else can but I could be wrong.

Most characters' forward option selects will counterhit this setup. There are workarounds of course, like blatant Starship in their face. You can backdash, but so many characters' 4H or 6H hit backdashes for big damage and it's a big risk IMO.

Really? It's been working for me pretty well.... hmmm.

What do you think the best options off of a throw are then? This is something that I've been having trouble with for a long time.

I don't know if there's a hard and fast B&B option post-throw. There isn't anything wrong with your setup, but it doesn't hit perfect meaty and there are multiple ways around it.

I just want to throw out 2 more tricks I've been working with lately. Trick A) Corner knockdown, HSS_4, rolling Dust Overhead hit, Super for Knockdown, HSB, Mix-up. c.S(1)~KSMH~P~HSS_4~66~214+K~j.D~632146+S 1) Overhead on wake-up. HSB-6K~HSR~66~c.S(1)~6P~c.S(1)~KSMH~mix-up 2) While landing low. Use the guard stun to fake out the overhead. HSB-669~HSR~land 2D~FRC~66~5K~6S~B&B~Mix-up HSB-669~HSR~land 2K~c.S(1)~KSMH~Mix-up 3) Late AD overhead 669~HSB~late AD~j.K~j.P~j.2S~HSR~66~c.S(1)~6P~c.S(1)~KSMH~Mix-up 4) Fuzzy Guard set-up =] 669~HSB~j.2S~land (Char specific) fuzzy 9+j.K~HSR~j.2S~c.S(1)~KSMH~Mix-up Trick B)CH BAIT. knockdown~HSS-4~66~Pressure oki 5k~c.S(1)~c.S(2)~Roger Rush. 1) They kill Roger. knockdown~HSS_4~66~Pressure oki 5k~c.S(1)~c.S(2)~Roger Rush~FRC~CH2D~FRC~66~5K~6S~B&B 2)They jump(corner) knockdown~HSS_4~66~Pressure oki 5k~c.S(1)~c.S(2)~Roger Rush~FRC~6S~B&B 3)They backdash knockdown~HSS_4~66~Pressure oki 5k~c.S(1)~c.S(2)~Roger Rush~FRC~(Bear hits them)~66~5k~6S~B&B

Okay, you guys have really helped me out here with bridget. I think I had the jist of his game down correctly, but trying to fill holes in guard strings and such was getting frustrating. I think I just needed to read over someone else's basics, and really rethink what I'm doing in all honesty lol. You guys have helped a lot, Thanks. Quick question. Using the rolling idou into the jumping dust trick, is this primarily done off of a 4 set?

PRIMARILY yes But it gives you frame advantage on every HSS_ ...except HSS_8? Maybe...I'll try it out later, because quite frankely I use a standing HSS_8 as much as I use a Respect.

HSB? HSS_4? You use very strange and uncommon lingo, which doesn't suit a thread that calls itself "basic".

He also contributes much more to this forum than anybody else, so the notation really isn't a big deal. That's an interesting setup, I'd messed around with 214K~D into Tragedy before (I get bored...) but not 632146S. 214K~D is viable any time you can combo off of it. I don't find much use for it anymore, it's got a high chance of success and 130 damage from a safe overhead is not something you can write off but I'd rather apply safe pressure than constantly take chances on an overhead that does decent damage and has no real tech pursuit options since the yo-yo is out already. Your mileage may vary.

sorry, just woke up was a bit grumpy =_= trying to figure out someones personal lingo less than 5 minutes after waking up is apparently a horrid way to start ones morning. I get the lingo now though, it just didn't make sense for a few seconds there.

I mean this in the most sincere unsarcastic way. What is the "true" lingo for all the Yo-yo specifications. I have actually yet to see a technical short hand for it, I've tried to implement my own because frankly there was none.

set the yo-yo

HSS_#

----------------------------------

jump forward, 6set,

9~j.HSS_6

-----------------------------------

release H

HSR

-----------------------------------

press and hold H

i find myself using yoyo hold

HSB

-------------------------------------

Yo-Yo Hikimodoshi

HS

--------------------------------------

He also contributes much more to this forum than anybody else, so the notation really isn't a big deal.

Thanks for the acknowlegement, I appreciate it. If the technical aspects of my input lingo aren't abstract enough should I just use more english? Could we all agree on a lingo and maybe even put it in your FAQ/ first post. I didn't realize my lingo was even a small deal, sorry =\

Sign in to follow this