Sign in to follow this  
DemiiPoet

How long did it take -you- to get proficient with your main?

Days? Months? Weeks? Fortnights?

I'm definitely nowhere near good with Tao >< Drop soooo many drive loops and can't land taunt loops consistently. It's all kinda discouraging but w.e.

Oh, and are you coming from a fighting game background? I'm not :/

Edited by DemiiPoet

I remember back in CT, when I decided to main Noel, her 6C BC loop was what was giving me trouble on the pad. All of a sudden after 2 weeks, my fingers suddenly corrected themselves whenever the opportunity for the loop arose and I suddenly became good at it. After that, everything else Noel-related just fell into place (except her hard to perform Haida Loop) and the only thing left for me was to learn was the matchups, which I never bothered doing since CS was around the corner. :kitty:

BB as my first competitive fighter, took me... 4 months to learn how to play airdashers goodly. Then 1 months to really memorize everything with all the characters, then 3~ weeks to work out the kinks.

Still practicing though. Always.

Always practicing.

...Always.

Edited by C0R

I still don't think I'm that great and I'm always looking to improve, but for the sake of answering the question I reckon it took me a good few months before I started to really get the grasp of the characters I was playing. At least as far as Calamity Trigger is concerned.

Continuum Shift probably took me a bit longer? Learning Noel in Continuum Shift is on an entirely different level than learning the same character in Calamity Trigger.

Depends on what you mean by proficient. Is this question targeted at tourney level players?

I'm still learning. BB is my first competitive fighter. It's not my first fighting game, but keep in mind all the FGs I played previously was casual button mashing with scrubby friends. It's not like we knew combos or system mechanics, or matchups for any of those games. Truth be told I don't even come from a videogame background at all, having only played many games for like, 2 or 3 years at most, and only heavily for maybe 1 year.

So, I've been playing seriously since CS release, so...about that long. I'm probably still the worst Lambda player that can pull off a halfassed crescent loop hehe.

still practicing , as much as I'll never reach tourney level because of online play , I wanna reach at least the point where I dont drop majority of my combos , my knowledge of blockstrings is also horrible and I have predictable/bad bursts

As far as CT goes, it took me about 3 months to get 'proficient' with Noel. That's most of her combos (besides the really difficult ones like the haida loop), matchups; that whole jazz. BB was also my first competitive fighter, but I have mashed my way through casual games of Tekken, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur etc.

I won't be getting CS over here until the 3rd and then CSII is gonna come out in less than a week, so we'll just have to see how long it takes before I can get the new Noel down.

This is my first competitive fighter (Melee and Brawl aren't technically fighters).

I'm still not necessarily proficient, but I'm alright according to others.

I know tech traps and am able to predict some jumps, but I have a tendency to input things wrongly which leads to very saddening losses.

However, if I don't screw everything up, I'm a worthy opponent.

Are you coming from a fighting game background or is BB your first?

BB is my first competitive fighter. And in CT, I couldn't possibly be come proficient, because I played a stupid character that didn't teach you anything.

Still working on it. :v:

yeah this! i been playing fighting games since SF world warriors.. but only started playing really seriously on GGX. I using makoto now (used to use ragna) and literally right now im trying to perfect her breakshot combos (which are gonna useless in about two week maybe) and so i guess i have to start again when platinum comes out.

Edited by article 12

Even hours of spending on training mode is never enough :/

Just have to keep moving forward

I did become decent after months since CT came

I love fighters, so a week or two.

I was playing GG, Tekken, SC3, and DOA4 all at the same time when CT came out.

After dicking around to find a character I liked (Jin) I used the YouTube combo tuorial, and tourney vids to really learn.

After that, I picked up some subs, but my Jin is still my best.

BB is my first competitive fighter. And in CT, I couldn't possibly be come proficient, because I played a stupid character that didn't teach you anything.

This made me laugh because I was impressed at how much playing Jin has taught me about the game, after so many monthes of slamming my face on the controller with Hakumen.