Sign in to follow this  
Shadowcuz

Eddie Q&A's

Lol Guardian. When I get around to doing the Misc combos section there's probably some stuff I'll rip from some of your earlier posts. Also, that is the worst Eddie combo vid I've ever seen. Basic stuff all over the place, 'solutions' to poor puddle unblockable setups, and just generic, non-unique setups to the 22H FRC IAD j.S unblockable. There is absolutely nothing new in that vid, unlike other AC Eddie vids out there (Faint, Amaranth, Phantasm clips). It wouldn't be so bad if it was presented as a tutorial, but it actually appears to be a real 'combo video'.

who knows. maybe he just wanted to present some tutorial stuff in his vid and make it look like a combovid anyway, which is not a bad thing. i was surprised at how simple the stuff was, too, but i learned something from the combovid, and i can't say that about most other flashy vids. is there a list somewhere for easy 1 hit SG combos? cause i didnt know the one against dizzy or ky, for example.

If that's the case he should have added inputs or explanations as backup, but he didn't so I can only assume it's just a very basic combo vid.

As for 1-hit SG combos, there's been alot of discussion on its months back, see these two posts for details on how to hit it on every character:

http://dustloop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=185583&postcount=56

http://dustloop.com/forums/showpost.php?p=186130&postcount=59

The setups may differ from CH -S- + 6P to aerial -K- or whatever, but these combos will work in pretty much all situations for 1-hit SG.

How would a knockdown to Puddle unblockable during a Mawaru combo read out as? I'm a bit confused on when exactly to hold or press/release HS for the puddle after 2D.

Sorry if this is 2 big of a post, but I am like a fish out of water. Keep in mind I just picked up Eddie in AC. I have enemy on limited gaurd 2 practice hitconfirm to combo. So far I've only come across 1 CV(cloudier sky, which I know is basic, but I'm a scrub) and a couple of match vids with a few of these setups (I will try 2 be as clear as I can). I have hard time connecting j.K 2 a reliable ground combo. The problem seems 2 depend on when j.K hits after Mawaru (1) or (2), or maybe I am not starting the setup at the right time, for ex. ju.K, land, 5K-2S, -K-. After starting with -k-, when should you go for the j.K? I have tried looking through the threads (probably missed it). It's alot 2 ask but maybe someone can make Eddie tutorial vids like the OR, ZA, or AX ones (just a suggestion). Any heip is much appreciated and thank you in advance. P.S. - I swear I will watch many more match vids. Eddie in Accent Core: A Comprehensive Guide 7.1) Setups In Close (ju.K/-) - -K-, r.2P-5K(-5S)*, ju, -K-, falling j.K/- - Far -K-, r.6P(2)*-5S, ju, -K-, falling j.K/- - Combo to 2D-236H, r.5K-5S*, ju, -K-, falling j.K/- *Hitconfirm to a ground/air combo if it hits Farther Away (rj or jf.K/-) - Blockstring to 2S-22H, -K-, rj.K/- (eg. 2P-2K, 236H, -S-, 2S-22H, -K-, rj.K/-) - Throw / Damned Fang, r.236H, -K-, jf.K/- - Any combo to 22S, 236H, -K- (on wakeup), jf.K/- - Any combo to 22H, r.236H, -K- (on wakeup), rj.K/- 7.2) High Options ju.K, dj.K, -K- - Used when you are in close already and jump straight up to go into the mixup. Fuzzy guard setup, similar to that used in previous games. In this case, j.K-H would likely cause the j.H to whiff so it is omitted. jf.K, dj.K-H, -K- - Usually used from a running j.K from farther distances. Fuzzy guard setup, similar to that used in previous games. In this case, j.H will connect due to your forward momentum. ju.-, land, 6K(-214S), -K- - Slow method of going high, and not very useful. May find some use against opponents who are concentrating too much on looking for that first j.K and blocking accordingly. ju.K, land, 6K(-214S), -K- - An even slower method of going high with less chances of hitting, as the blockstun of j.K helps alert players to their escape options earlier. ju.K/-, 214[K], 41236S, -K- - Slow overhead that is easily blocked on reaction, but can be alternated with a crossup variant (see below). Also, this can be confusing if done after a short series of high/lows (eg. j.K-5K). ju.K, land, 623S, [6] -H- or ju.-, land, 623S, [6] -H- - Two ways of going into the command grab. The latter is harder to see coming since your opponent is expecting a hit, and is also more practical since you are not pushed out as far since you did not perform a j.K. 7.3) Low Options ju.K, land, 5K-2S, -K- - A quick low attack after the j.K. Use this when your opponent catches on and becomes wary of the dj. followup. ju.-, land, 5K-5Sc/2S, -K- - A decent way of going into a low, as the opponent may see you land and attempt an escape while still in blockstun, only to get tagged by your 5K. ju.K/-, 2D (low), -S- - Same principles as above, but a better choice when the shadow meter is very low, as you can tack on a few extra hits from a small aircombo. If you have sufficient shadow meter, a 1-hit aerial Shadow Gallery unblockable setup is possible. 7.4) Crossup Options ju.K/-, 214[K], 6, 41236S, -K- (high) - Crossup overhead is hard to see coming if spaced properly. However, leaves a large gap for your opponent to escape, so not recommended for frequent use or on those who are always trying to jump or backdash away. ju.-, dj.Flight to other side, j.S, -K- (high) - A crossup that leaves a large gap, since you must do it after the enemy leaves blockstun. jf.-, land 5K-5Sc, -K- (low) - A surprise tactic used to fool opponents who expect Eddie to come down with j.K on the same side. Again, the 5K needs to be timed to hit after the enemy leaves blockstun so that you actually get a valid crossup that must be blocked in the opposite direction. This does open you up to being thrown, so use with caution.

I have hard time connecting j.K 2 a reliable ground combo. The problem seems 2 depend on when j.K hits after Mawaru (1) or (2), or maybe I am not starting the setup at the right time, for ex. ju.K, land, 5K-2S, -K-. After starting with -k-, when should you go for the j.K? I have tried looking through the threads (probably missed it). It's alot 2 ask but maybe someone can make Eddie tutorial vids like the OR, ZA, or AX ones (just a suggestion). Any heip is much appreciated and thank you in advance. P.S. - I swear I will watch many more match vids.

The first j.K here is blocked - it's just used to keep your enemy in blockstun. The j.K is done after both hits of -K- (which are also blocked, since this is a setup). And as another option you have, you can not even do the j.K altogether and go into a low for a faster mixup that is usually harder to react to.

So the full sequence is...

-K- (both hits) is blocked

ju.K is blocked, or ju.- is a feint

dj.K is a high mixup, if you choose to go high

5K-5S or 5K-2S are low mixups, if you choose to go low

Anyway.. I could put sections 4-12 of the guide into video form, but that would have to wait for a bit as my hands are pretty tied at the moment. Still have to finish up the Misc. sections of the guide and tidy things up a bit, then I'll get to work on that.

Eddie in Accent Core: A Comprehensive Guide 7.3) Low Options ju.K, land, 5K-2S, -K- - A quick low attack after the j.K. Use this when your opponent catches on and becomes wary of the dj. followup. Stupid questions are the 1's u don't ask right? I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this, should be easy 2 execute right? My setting is on limited block, 2P, 5H, 236K, Mawaru(2), ju.K, land, 5K-2S, -K-. After -K- hits there is a total of 3 hits ( can't be sure, but I think I did get 4 hits once ) and have not been able 2 combo after -K-, because Eddie is 2 far away from character. Thanks in advance!!! P.S. (Teyah or anyone else) ( I am like a sponge, ready 2 absorb ) I am sorry if this should be in a seperate thread, but I would like some advice on what is the best way 2 utilize the Eddie in Accent Core: A Comprehensive Guide? I want 2 make Eddie the monster that he is. When I first picked up Eddie and started w/ this guide I jumped around a bit ( summon shadow, attack w/ shadow, combos, unblockables, etc. ). I have now started the guide from .1) Summoning on Hit. I do not move on 2 the next section, unless I can execute 7 out of 10 times ( ex. 22H(FRC) in block strings or 44, 22H(FRC) ). I know what is accomplished in practice does not not count for anything if you can't do it in match's, but I would atleast like 2 execute at the minimum of 5 out 10 on just about everything in the guide. I feel this would give me the best grasp of new character ( my opinion though ). For the most part when I am able 2 play in matches I use slayer. This way I can still improve on the fundamentals of the game. Eddie will be my main character.

To really start with Eddie from scratch, you should start with these first:

- How to summon the shadow safely

- How to control space well (I haven't really talked about this in the guide, but it comes with experience)

- How to apply your mixups and combo off them

If you can do these with any sort of consistency, you're well on your way. I wouldn't worry about FRC during blockstrings just yet, the more fundamental parts of Eddie's game as listed above are more important.

Stupid questions are the 1's u don't ask right? I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this, should be easy 2 execute right? My setting is on limited block, 2P, 5H, 236K, Mawaru(2), ju.K, land, 5K-2S, -K-. After -K- hits there is a total of 3 hits ( can't be sure, but I think I did get 4 hits once ) and have not been able 2 combo after -K-, because Eddie is 2 far away from character. Thanks in advance!!!

First, I'd like to say that if you're still starting off with Eddie, I wouldn't bother too much with aerial mixups (section 7) just yet, but stick to ground mixups first (section 6) until you can consistently combo to knockdown to unblockable. Once you get a feel for the basic grounded mixup and combos (especially standing combos), you'll be able to use aerial mixup much more effectively.

Also, your setup that you posted:

2P, 5H, 236K, Mawaru(2), ju.K, land, 5K-2S, -K-.

^ is not really valid for a flight mixup. There is way too large of a gap between 5H-236K and j.K, so this is very easily escapable. Anyway, see 7.1 in the guide for what setups are available for this sort of mixup.

Also, some general tips for ju.K, land, 5K-2S, -K-:

This is a very, very tight link to do. You have to follow the -K- with a standing combo, as I'm pretty sure I mentioned earlier on in the guide - so after the first hit of -K-, you have to dash in with a 2P to allow the second hit of -K- to combo. Since 2S has somewhat long recovery, you have to time this just right. See section 9.1 for more detail on how to link the two hits of -K- together on standing enemies.

However, there is an easier way to go low with 5K from a jump mixup. Just don't do the j.K (use j.- instead), then land and do 5K-5S into -K-(1), then your standard standing combo that uses 2P in between -K-(1) and -K-(2). This is a little easier for the enemy to react to, but it's a whole lot easier to perform.

I've been attempting to practice Eddie's unblockable with the Drill FB and overheard Shadow Attack. The thing is, they always seem to hit with staggered timing. The drill starts, and a few hits later, the ball from the shadow hits. It seems like someone could block it if they knew what they were doing, and the only reason they haven't yet is they weren't fast enouh to notice the gap. When I watch tournament videos, it seems like people are able to fill that gap, but I'm not sure how. The way I'm doing it is knockding them down with 2D or a drill, summoning the shadow with H so it doesn't do anything funky, and then making the motion 22D, so the drill comes out and the shadow simultaneously spits its ball. The problem is that the ball has a little distance to travel, while the drill comes out immediately. How do I fix this? Do I need to get the shadow closer so the ball has no distance to travel. Do I need to do something different with D?

I think your problem is that you're using the command [236H, 22D] for the entire unblockable, which does not have both hits connect at the same time. Instead, make sure you press and release D before doing 22D to get the ball out earlier, so your command should look like this: [236H, -D-, 22D] So you do 236H, then press and hold D while Eddie is in the summoning animation, release D partway through, then do 22D moments later. Both parts of the UB should hit meaty this way.

Alrighty, I've got the two basic standing combos into 2D -HS- or -D- 22D down pretty good. Now it's time to start exploring other things. Like controlling space with drills, -P-, and -S-. I always forget and accidentally do 22HS-HS- instead of holding it down so I can do -S- or -K- =) Whenever I try to move outside my pre-programmed pressure (mostly using -K-) I start spacing out the whole negative edge thing and defaulting to standard Guilty Gear play (does not involve holding buttons). Also whenever I try to do 236HS [P] 214[K] I end up just FDing. Perhaps if I plan on using BTL I should NOT prep a shadow attack. I also have a habit of holding 1 for all my crouching moves (it's from playing May), so if I do 236HS [K] then try to AA with 2HS -S-, I just FD low and eat shit =P Now for my questions. I never see Eddie players go for one-hit shadow gallery... Instead they just always do -S- j.K j.HS j.D -S- then continue if able. Is there a reason for this? Should I bother trying to work in one hit SGs, or is it just too unreliable? I saw a combo video where an Eddie player was doing iad combos with -P- instead of standing combos with -K-. Are these more reliable or higher damage? Worth working on? Or was he just showing off? =) What's the advantage of doing strings like 5K 5S -P- 2K 2S -P- 22HS -K- j.K (opponent died here, so I didn't get to see what he had planned for the rest of the string). Also 6P 5HS(3) -K- on a crouching opponent. Best damage? Better for raw damage than the combos listed in Teyah's guide? The best damage I've found for a dizzied opponent is just (6P)* 2HS 22D j.HS j.D. * - only on characters with short dizzy animations that 2HS whiffs on, like Chipp. Does less damage. Are there any better options? Besides IK =P

Now for my questions. I never see Eddie players go for one-hit shadow gallery... Instead they just always do -S- j.K j.HS j.D -S- then continue if able. Is there a reason for this? Should I bother trying to work in one hit SGs, or is it just too unreliable?

As far as I can tell, the 1-hit SG combo is the best, so you should try to go for it whenever possible. If you notice you screw up the relift part with 6P, you can usually react and do the j.KHD, -S- combo instead.

I saw a combo video where an Eddie player was doing iad combos with -P- instead of standing combos with -K-. Are these more reliable or higher damage? Worth working on? Or was he just showing off? =)

I'm not sure about this one, but I don't think the iad combos are noticeably better. The japanese Eddies use -K- combos usually.

What's the advantage of doing strings like 5K 5S -P- 2K 2S -P- 22HS -K- j.K (opponent died here, so I didn't get to see what he had planned for the rest of the string). Also 6P 5HS(3) -K- on a crouching opponent. Best damage? Better for raw damage than the combos listed in Teyah's guide?

The -P- combo to the drill should be somewhat burst safe. Also, on block, if your opponent likes to DP/backdash/whatever between -K- hits, the -P- strings can be harder to escape from.

I think the 6P, 5H combo instead of the standard 6P loop trades some stun for better damage. It might be good if you manage to catch your opponent crouching in an unprorated combo, like punishing crouching recoveries with -K- or interrupting a crouching move or something like that.

The best damage I've found for a dizzied opponent is just (6P)* 2HS 22D j.HS j.D. * - only on characters with short dizzy animations that 2HS whiffs on, like Chipp. Does less damage. Are there any better options? Besides IK =P

I use these combos:

(corner) deep dash, S©, 2S, 2H, 22D, dash sj.K(S)HD - Easy to do, 25% gauge, does not work on all characters.

(corner) dash 5H (1 or 2 hits), 22S, 2K, 2H, 22D, dash sj.KHD - I think this one works on everyone.

S©, 2H, 632146H - Easy damage, especially midscreen. Less hits than the 22D combos, so I think it charges the opponent's burst meter less.

632146H - If the opponent has burst, he can't burst from the super.

(corner) 22D, 22D, dash j.SHD, land, sj.KHD - Easy to do, somewhat burst safe during the 22D part and very good damage for 50%.

Heh, thanks. Is there a way to set up one-hit SG and a puddle off of the 5K 5S -P- 2K 2S -P- 22HS -K- combo, or should I just do a one rep SG loop (once I bother to learn how) into -D- 22D, or should one just puddle after the drill and air dash j.S/HS unless going for the kill with an air combo after the -K- lift? Of course, this is all assuming you've got the meter to burn =P

Heh, thanks.

Is there a way to set up one-hit SG and a puddle off of the 5K 5S -P- 2K 2S -P- 22HS -K- combo, or should I just do a one rep SG loop (once I bother to learn how) into -D- 22D, or should one just puddle after the drill and air dash j.S/HS unless going for the kill with an air combo after the -K- lift? Of course, this is all assuming you've got the meter to burn =P

1-hit SG is possible after -K- with either TK SG FRC or carefully timed and spaced j.S, j.H, -S-, SG. I'm not sure if you can do it from the long range the -P- combo leaves you at. In any case, the combo into the drill eats up most of the guard gauge so any combo extension isn't going to do that much damage. I'd say go straight for the puddle after the drill.

In general, the puddle unblockable is the best. It deals the best stun, generates a lot of tension, ends in a knockdown and leaves you with the option of going for the 22H FRC iad j.S unblockable afterwards.

In general, the puddle unblockable is the best. It deals the best stun, generates a lot of tension, ends in a knockdown and leaves you with the option of going for the 22H FRC iad j.S unblockable afterwards.

Good info Starfire. Puddle UB is also 100% DP/reversal safe, provided you time your meaty so that it hits as you land within a few frames afterwards to block the attack. 2D to BtL-SG must be done fairly quickly, yes. But it's been awhile since I've tested that since I usually convert 2D into puddle UB via -K-, jump back + SG FRC.

I was toying around with some post CH 2HS options besides letting them fall and starting pressure. CH 2HS 236HS -K- j.HS -S- SG... This one is really hard to do, as the -S- seems to whiff a lot, being too far forward or something, not sure (practicing on Sol, btw). I have to pick them up at the max range of -K-'s first hit. Is there an easy way of doing a quick one-hit SG off a CH 2HS? Like would j.S j.HS make it easier? Or would that float them too high? The second thing I was trying, was going from CH 2HS 236HS -K- into an SG loop, only I couldn't get it even started at all. The SG would ALWAYS miss, Sol was either too high, or he'd just tech. Also, for some reason I had a stupid difficult time doing a quick 66214K motion (even doing it at as 663214 wasn't working very well). It made me feel retarded =/ Lastly, I can never get the 4422HS FRC iad j.S unblockable to work. The j.S just whiffs. Granted, I usually hold 3 out of habit, would holding 2 or 1 make a difference in the trajectory of the air dash? I'm at work, so I can't check myself for a while.

I have a question from a strategic standpoint, I really love doing the SG loop. It just looks nice, adn does good damage and leads to certain unblockables, BUT is it worth doing in place fo a puddle setup? Like for instance, if I do: mawaru(blocked), dash 6p(1), 5s, mawaru, jump, j.k, dj. k(hit), mawaru, land, BTL SG, from here I usually have on more mawaru left which I like to do into another SG slide, then 22hs FRC IAD unblockable. But instead of doing the SG loop at all, I could just do mix-up into knockdown puddle, I see the merit of the puddle(duh lol), but is it so much better then the SG followups that I should forego them completely for the puddle? Thanks.

I wouldn't use 6P(1)-5S Mawaru on a consistent basis, and only actually use it occasionally when you've noticed the enemy likes to try an IB/SB -> BD or 1fj out of your strings. If they aren't doing this then that 6P(1)-5S-[K] is basically just sacrificing one of your two mixups into UB for a slightly increased guardbar for the followup 4-5 (weak) hits before the next UB. The most common followup for the BtL SG loop is a running -D- + 22D (into whatever) or 22H (no FRC, into IAD j.H-D, land rejump combo), when you're almost out of shadow meter. Before the UB with -D- + drill, you typically get 1 rep if started from a blocked Mawaru mixup, 2-3 if started from something like CH 2H xx Summon. In the corner, BtL SG loop becomes much more worthwhile due to cheaper shadow gauge cost (only -S- is needed) as well as how it can also go into a puddle UB. Anyway to get back to your original question, doing a BtL SG loop is mainly done for damage purposes, when the enemy is a high-stun character and isn't likely to be stunned from a 2D-puddle or j.SG FRC-puddle. Although, puddle is still good for building tension against high-stun characters (but not from SG FRC) while retaining knockdown at the end of the combo.

Thank you Teyah, really appreciate the in depth answer :). Still sounds like kind of a tossup, but seems like generally the puddle just sounds like the better answer.

Dear :ED: Players:

I've written up some info about May beating Eddie... well trying to at least.

It's here:

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3666&page=2

Teyah, I really appreciate your input as you've contributed the most so far. Therefore, I would also appreciate your word on polishing some things and a seal of approval. Anyone else, please share your feelings.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3120&page=20

Thanks,

Kyle

It's here:

Teyah, I really appreciate your input as you've contributed the most so far. Therefore, I would also appreciate your word on polishing some things and a seal of approval. Anyone else, please share your feelings.

Thanks,

Kyle

Why are you telling us May's all over the world got stronger against Ed? :gonk::vbang:

It's here:

Thanks,

Kyle

Sure, not a problem Kyle. I'll have a more detailed look at it when I get back from my trip this weekend.

Sign in to follow this