Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4r5

[AC] Johnny vs Potemkin

POTEMKIN MATCHUP INFORMATION

Poking Game

More to come!...? You can help!

Strategy

The universal anti-Potemkin strategy: Get a health lead, then run away. Tease and call him names. Time over, you win.

Specific Punishes

Setups/baits

Escapes

Heat Knuckle combos

Time your Bursts so that the burst counter hits his Heat Knuckle

6HS>SlideHead

Backdash, or forwarddash, the SlideHead. Smallest possible frame gap between the 6HS and SlideHead is 1 frame, on normal block.

Knowledge

Buh...I really hate this matchup. Air dashing into Pot is akin to suicide, lest you get your face melted by his Heat Knuckle/Extend follow up. Then once you're knocked down you're in prime position for the Giganter loop/trap whatever it's called. And lord forbid you fail to MC a move, lest you say hello to Potemkin Buster. And let's not talk about Hammerfall going through shit, plus that Force Break of his. Any tips on this match up? Besides outrunning the clock lol (which I should try sometime against the Pot player in my group...) I hear it's the worst for our boy.

I'll fire off some quick ones, before my exam. If you must AD, then you wanna AD from far away, so that the tip of your j.S would hit him. And if he backdashes your j.S, then you don't go flying into his arms. Your overall best poke is you j.S. For this match, I jump alot, straight up. And make a wall with my j.S. And well, don't screw up your MC's. And do them fast, in case he HammerFalls.

Personally i find big trouble Pot's Hammer fall (funny thing while searching for the move's name at gamefaqs i saw this "NOTE: This move absorbs one hit. Yay for autogaurd. So if a Johnny player throws out a Mist Finer, you will eat the attack and then smack him."). The real problem is not while throwing a MF but when throwing coins cause the coin hits him but no MF lvl up. You can actually interrupt him after the coin but i and most ppl i see use to dash after throwing a coin and are getting hit. The best solution i could have was doing short gatlings into MC then react to Pot and start attaking again in order to avoid Hammer fall and punish him after that. edit: 4r5 got me in speed. So when i used jS as main poke the pot players did heavenly pot buster (the overdrive buster) and grabbed me everytime. Strange thing it is, most pot players focus very much at pot buster or Giganter at their wake up so i found Divine Blade working wonders (super jump front DB to avoid the mirror thing)

bait the heavenly pot buster if he's at 50% or higher if he's not at 50% then j.s, if the j.s connects just do ensenga as a follow up. baiting the heavenly pot buster isn't too hard, and pot's recovery isn't instant on it, so you can still hit him before he does something else after the HPB. i find the 2.S > 5HS chain to do pretty well against hammerfall btw. try that out and see how it works for you.

Yes thats what i do (2S, HS) and generally short gatlings. After heavenly pot buster his jD solves many problems. Then again u can bait jD to just get the upper hand. Also ensega after jS on block is like suicide imo if not RCed ;s Actually i prefer this matchup more than others :P

When i plan to hit someone with jS while on ground i dj afterwards. Also i have a bad habit to IADing which imo doesnt help Johnny at all (except if u IAD backwards). Its also a bit hard to hit confirm on one hit only. I sometimes do the ensega motion after a random jS. Then again here comes again heavenly pot buster. I actually dont know how to bait it. Im not even sure if u can bait it :P

A properly spaced and timed j.S will beat a Heavenly PB. Try hitting pre-emptively with the farthest end of the j.S If you have a burst ready and the opponent is not paying attention, if you are in the air and NOT attacking, you have a guaranteed gold burst should he want to HPB. If you can confirm j.S into a JC, you can do the same with an Ensenga instead of the double jump. That's not hard, you'll get it with practice, you'll learn to feel/recognize when it hits whatever the cues (hitstop, sound, recognizing sprites, plain feeling etc., you'll get the hang of it). Though I prefer doing ensenga on reaction, it may help you to buffer and time the 41236 motion so that when you hit-confirm, you just have to press the HS button.

Great advice guys; I never knew I could actually bait HPB. I'll give it a shot. Now, what can we do about Hammerfall? I've noticed that the Pot players I play tend to use it as a means of escaping coin pressure (and it works most of the time) which pretty much screws Johnny up royally. I think it's this move that aggravates me the most in this matchup.

I think i mentioned some things about that above. Well personally i try to do short gatlings like k,HS to MC then react to Pot's movements (if he does hammerfall) and after that punishing hammerfall or continue my attacks with another short gatling etc. Also i found very useful the K,cS, dash throw setup. Maybe it was just my friends that were focusing to see HS coming at a gatling and then hammerfall..

Just hit him twice, to stop HammerFall. Basicly, never throw something out if you can't follow it up, or move out of the way. If you throw a coin, then dash; get ready to jump if he does HammerFall. If you throw out a K, get ready to hit S or 2S. If HS, ready a MC or coin If ensenga, ready an RC etc Your basic goto's against HammerFall are Coin and fast MC'ing. oh, and OD beats HammerFall too.

coin dash, jump is kinda hard to do to avoid hammerfall cause it comes right after your last hit in gatling (mostly HS). MCing is the most effective solution for that. I thing i find a slight similarity with Baiken's reversals here (MC works).

Wasn't really a list of things to do. They were just some examples for what I was saying. Ideally, you wouldn't dash after your coin.

here's why i do vs. POTEMKIN. Okay first what you do is j.S a lot so jump around like crazy cuz he can't heavenly PObuster you YET. Start predicting his moves. IF you predict a backdash to counter your airdash meaty ORRR slidehead ORRRRR you feel he's charging too much, just airdash over him and cross him up with j.S. followed by random pressure. If you think he's gonna flick a coin to counter your pressure, then cross him up with another airdash->j. S. He'll get the idea and become very scared. So he'll change his strategy from special moves to regular moves. Then MF him when he does. ALWAYS look for slidehead! This move IS your worst enemy, if you can't jump in time or need some tension, just backdash, and walk forward some more, then get ready for another slidehead. (ie/ airdash over him j.S) I always follow that algorithm and do very well vs. Po's. IF you feel he's about to get you into the corner, GET OUT. Get out of the corner pressure by all means.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, and furthermore I'm sure most JO players know that Johnny's dash *does* take him up off the ground for a short time. So instead of backdashing slideheads you can forward dash to avoid them in the same manner, and you cover some ground.

Yes you are absolutely right. You get a free combo if you're close enough. Also, if you're within coin range, you can get one of those to land BUT, you will be knocked down. He can't pick you back up but he gets Okizeme.

Don't forget to do DB combos on PO. Better damage, 1hit, etc...:keke:

* Worst Matchup Potemkin: No way out of the Giganter Trap.

How true is that ? except burst, you can DAA the slide head, right ?

Don't forget to do DB combos on PO.

Better damage, 1hit, etc...:keke:

...actually, the DB combos do less damage... :(

and yes, you can DAA the slidehead

just try to zone & poke as much as possible in this matchup

If they do the Slidehead late, the slidehead will counterhit your DAA. If you also time your DAA late, then the DAA will just whiff. You can also reversal backdash, if you got space behind you, but you might just get tagged by the Slidehead in your recovery frames. You can try a reversal gold burst or super, no guarantee they'll connect either. Not sure why that thing says Potemkin is the worst matchup because Johnny can't escape the Giganter trap. I don't think anyone gets out for free, (maybe Baiken?) so does that make Potemkin everyone's worst matchup? Those matchup breakdowns said some funny things, maybe some context got lost in the translation, who knows. zone/poke, and just save your burst and meter to give you extra ways out of tight spots.

if they do the slidehead late, i'm pretty sure the movie is slow enough for you react (ie. backdash or iad back) if they do the giganter trap correctly, i would say for JO the best way is to either burst or DAA (doesn't matter if it whiffs or hits, you're out of the trap) i've tried to IB/backdash countless times, never works out :(

I meant late, like latter but you're still in blockstun.

oh, i forgot. can't JO use his super to get out of this trap as well? i mean, we're either using a burst or 50% tension anyway

You can reversal super the shield and either: you get him he slideheads through it he blocks and pb you which is pretty much what could happen no matter what you do. I think the surest escape is to wait for him to commit to a slidehead and time your Blue burst or DAA so that they both whiff, or you hit. and I have to take back what I said about reversal gold bursting the shield. that's only if they don't take a slight step forward before casting the Giganter. There's no way to gold burst meaties, dunno what I was thinking.