Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4r5

[AC] Johnny vs Robo-Ky

ROBO-KY MATCHUP INFORMATION

Poking Game

More to come!...? You can help!

Strategy

Specific Punishes

Setups/baits

Knowledge

If he ever tries to make air missiles, you 6k. 2hs can stuff a lot of stuff up close and works well against his tick throw setups. It can even stop Level 3 horsie setups off of Robo repeatedly 5k'ing if timed correctly.

6K? Wow it sounds so simple...I've never tried it before and my friends who play Robo Ky LOVE to spam air missiles as I come in with a KJ or DB and I thought I had no choice but to eat it...I'd love to see this in action, if anyone can upload a vid of this that'd be great.

It's true, a robot spamming missiles inside 6K's range is asking for a foot up its ass. Inside of a dash+6K range, it has time to block. Beyond that, it's business as usual.

I find 6K useful against LVL3 missiles, mostly. Good Robo-Ky players won't usually spam non-LVL3 missiles at close-range. Watch out for falling j.S, though - once Robo-Ky players know you'll come after them with a 6K, they'll slam you with it. Also, Johnny's (amazing) sky-high jump really helps avoid the missiles when they break apart and come after you. They can sometimes be avoid with a simple double-jump forward.

2HS is the only thing Johnny has to get RK off of him. If the RK player has good TK skills, 6K won't always save you, as the missle can CH you for massive combo damage. Best thing is to play it safe and FD jump block before the missle seperates. I hate this matchup, RK's 2K and 2HS both go under Johnny's 5k, and Johnny gets no MF combos after 2D. MC pressure is almost moot if he has >50% tension. His pokes are better, he does more damage, and he has more life. Definitely in favor of RK, and you have to be very patient to take advantage.

Who says JRK's pokes are better? Have you seen the range on Johnny's 5hs and 6hs, not to mention you can cancel them? What does RK have with that kind of range, 5s? (not even close really). Any 5h or 6h hit you can hitconfirm into level2 mistfiner combo leading you 150~200 damage depends on how much tension you feel like using. Also TKing missiles will not always save you unless Johnny is literally all the way across the screen.

Hmm...actually, RK's f.S stuffs most of Johnny's pokes insanely well for some reason. Tossing out 6H with Johnny is risky, and will allow Robo to horsie him, or begin his air missile spam shit for free on whiff. 2K on RKs part also stops Johnny in his tracks pretty well in a lot of cases(kills his 5K in particular, and even most of his pokes because 2K is quick). The problem is that it's on Johnny to advance on Robo-Ky because Robo-Ky turtles better...and if RK is playing defensive, Johnny doesn't have that many great options to get in safely. I think turtling with Robo-Ky and aiming for a knockdown while tossing pads down is a generally good idea. While Johnny getting a level 2 does decent damage, it's nowhere near devastating anymore. Slayer can do just as hard hitting combos off of random hits. Johnny needs to waste damage by just coining them in order to achieve decent damage, putting you both back in a neutral situation after a successful mixup of some kind. Then he needs to somehow get in...again, and hit you with something to do some damage, and you need to not burst him at a bad time...all for him to do about 180 damage to Robo-Ky. Not fun. Edit) Guardian: You can combo RK after a 2D with a LV2 MF low. Just takes a slight delay. Only VE, MI, and SL cannot be combo'd after a 2D with LV2 MF Low

I tend to land 6HS's, as Robo-Ky's lay down a mat, all the time. Maybe I'm psychic? Or maybe I just instinctively react to the unique sound-effect of Robo-Ky's 2D. Shrug. it's easy, huge amount of animation and all. Anyways yeah, 2K is annoying. I switch over to alot of 2K, 2S, 2HS, and 2D when fighing Robo. But doesn't make 2K any less annoying. Defiantly got to take the initiative at the start of a round, before Robo can get any energy. Don't want to give him an opening to start an offense and get a mat down, but at the same time you don't want to give him moves for him to IB. Have to be innovative with your pressure (throw more?! lol.)

I tend to land 6HS's, as Robo-Ky's lay down a mat, all the time. Maybe I'm psychic? Or maybe I just instinctively react to the unique sound-effect of Robo-Ky's 2D. Shrug. it's easy, huge amount of animation and all.

Anyways yeah, 2K is annoying. I switch over to alot of 2K, 2S, 2HS, and 2D when fighing Robo. But doesn't make 2K any less annoying.

Defiantly got to take the initiative at the start of a round, before Robo can get any energy. Don't want to give him an opening to start an offense and get a mat down, but at the same time you don't want to give him moves for him to IB. Have to be innovative with your pressure (throw more?! lol.)

Throwing more apparently works; I had some fights against a RK yesterday and I got my best results when I used a mixup involving HS and 2D MC; once I got in range I just MC, dash and throw, coin, block RK's shit until I get an opening and get a lvl2 Mist Finer combo. The problem is, I can only seem to get a decent lvl2 MF combo when I hit him with 6P and MF High...the other are tricky because of RK's weight and me not used to the timing...any tips?

Yeah, Robo-Ky is a pretty heavy guy. You usually have to throw in an extra punch, kick, or close slash here and there to keep him from falling out.

Also, which of RK's moves must be blocked high besides Dust? I seem to ALWAYS get hit with the horse even though I block low...it may just be me though...any ideas?

Dust is his only standing overhead. A very fast one at that, but still his only one. Then there's his tkFB stuff. Horsey can crossup if done as oki, ala CE Bison's Psycho Crusher, maybe that's why it's hitting you?

Is there anything in Johnny's aresenal that can beat Robo's 6P? The Robo player I fight likes to open matches with them, and I'm tired of either being forced to block it (raising my Guard Guage) or misprediciting and getting hit by it. Please tell me there is lol

not sure of things to beat it, but you try jumping backward? i think that would make it whiff

Anything, that's not a 5P, 6P, 5K, 6K, or f.S, can hit it in the startup. And you should shy away from those moves anyways, since he could just as easily 2K under them. I would backdash or just stick out a poke that would stuff it. I wouldn't jump away. To jump clear of his 6P, you'd have to jump as soon as his 6P starts. Which means you have to guess. And it would be pretty lousy to have to lose my spacing just cause I though he might 6P. Not to mention the loss of tension for FD'ing, if I didn't jump in time.

At starting round distance, Johnny's 6hs will dodge Robo ky's 6p and get a counter hit. While that is a controlled scenario and Robo ky using 6p later on will be at various distances, it is a good thing to know.

At starting round distance, Johnny's 6hs will dodge Robo ky's 6p and get a counter hit. While that is a controlled scenario and Robo ky using 6p later on will be at various distances, it is a good thing to know.

^ This I have verified to be true. The timing is a bit specific though, because if you're too slow you'll be the one eating the CH.

New hated matchup: Robo-Ky. Every time I think I can get in, I eat a CH missile and basically lose the match. He is not easy to air combo off MFL2 low, and most of JO's pokes wiff over his annoying-ass 2K and 2S.

any time a robo ky player starts off a round with the machine gun (see: every round) just throw a coin. he doesn't get his third hit and you get a free level 2 setup. and if you have a hard time landing low level 2 combos (which i do too against robo) then either use high level 2's or set up a high level 3.

i was the test dummy for that revelation :psyduck:

any time a robo ky player starts off a round with the machine gun (see: every round) just throw a coin. he doesn't get his third hit and you get a free level 2 setup.

and if you have a hard time landing low level 2 combos (which i do too against robo) then either use high level 2's or set up a high level 3.

I actually do throw a coin when he opens with his 6P, but what ends up happening is that we trade CHs. So the "free" MFL2 setup isn't always free, at least not for me...

And can someone give tips on avoiding full-tension Robo missiles? When I block them, he runs up and does his command throw, taking advantage of my long-ass blockstun...

Jumping over the missiles to good for you? If he does them too close, you can 6K him. Also remember, in this game, tick-throws are never guaranteed. You can OD, forward/backdash, or simply jump out away from the command grab.

Jumping over the missiles to good for you? If he does them too close, you can 6K him.

Also remember, in this game, tick-throws are never guaranteed. You can OD, forward/backdash, or simply jump out away from the command grab.

Thanks 4r5. Also, (and I've learned this the hard way) JO's OD does NOT beat Robo's runing dash attack (not quite sure the command for it; he basically runs into you and charges after you get KD) :vbang: Not even 5K beats it I think. So I guess if he uses it just...block it?

I don't think his commandGrab has any throw-invulnerability (if it has any at all) so you can also throw him in his startup. But if your throw and his comGrab hit on the same frame, his grab will take priority. Robo-Ky needs a running start to do his Robo-Dash, similar to a running tackle in Tekken. Robo-Dash has full invulnerability just before, and halfway through, its hitting frames. It's possible to OD it, but you need a bit of luck. I just mash 2HS and try to catch him in its startup, or if I miss the startup then it tends to clash. Or just don't give him the space/time to do it. In most cases you just have to block it. They'll try to set it up behind missiles, or your knockdown or something, and if you try to counter-poke then you get stuffed. It's a tool for Robo-Ky. It's like, the moment you second guess yourself, for fear of the dash, is when he doesn't do it. And that moment of hesitation is what he needed to get a little closer to you and do something worse.