Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4r5

[AC] Johnny vs Venom

VENOM MATCHUP INFORMATION

MATCHUP FAVOR

7-3, Venom's favor

Brief Summary: Venom DESTROYS Johnny in pokes, Venom DESTROYS Johnny in zoning, Venom is THE MAN at runaway projectile play which is exactly what Johnny sucks against. You can't let him back off, and once he knocks you down/gets on offense it's EXTREMELY difficult to escape without 50% tension.

More to come!...? You can help!

Poking Game

Strategy

Specific Punishes

Setups/baits

Knowledge

random thoughts about this matchup, when venom has a ball infront of him its generally not a good idea to iad or attempt a jump-in. probably better to block low on his strings as hes only overheads are dust and tk mad struggle? jackhound him during his ball summon at any point to get knockdown/dmg. in the beginning of match probably good to sj and land close to him to start pressure?

With or without balls, it's hard to approach an astute Venom from the air. Venom's 6P is quite good. It has a surprising amount of vertical reach, hits behind him too. General rule of thumb, not just against Venom, is to block low till you see the overhead. Venom also has some nasty fuzzy-guard setups that you kinda just have to guess on, or DAA/Burst before it hits you. Really gotta be more frugal with your JackHounds in this game. Can't go blowing 25% meter every time Venom blinks. If you're close enough to Jackhound Venom, then you're also close enough to just dash up and kick him. But if there's a wall of balls in front of you, then ya, go for the JackHound. I handle the start of rounds in the same way I handle it vs Eddie, with patience and a watchful eye. Except you got a lot more leeway in this matchup, since losing the momentum to Venom is just annoying, instead of round-ending.

From current vids, I see a japanese johnny slashes back venom's 421 attacks, since the timing could almost always be predicted to be occurring as the finishing mixup move. I agree with the jackhound upon ball summons. Of course provided there's tension. I too agree that johnny should stay low with patience. When you high jump, don't be hasty to throw a divine blade or killer joker frc transport. Astute venoms HOUNDS your landing perimeters as heavy punishers. Make venom angry by using 2hs countering like a stupid johnny scrub is another tact. Well, it's not using it like there's no tomorrow but should be calculated. Apart from all these, I would say that venom by all means as all the edge against johnny's =( Even though I may be saying all these tacts, I a lotta times couldn't perform them myself cuz it's all too circumstantial in venom's favor.

I too agree that johnny should stay low with patience.

Hum, I'm not totaly agree with that because Venom haven't good reversal attack, I think it's better to press him until he lose his guard. 2 combo and it's finish for him. If venom manage to get the distance, Johnny is simply dead versus a good Venom. But if you block him in the corner, He is dead.

Also you can wait eventual summons or CR to set a MF-S(2) in reaction to make huge damages.

I think he's talking about when Venom has the momentum, you should be patient.

i haven't exactly played against the greatest venoms ever, but i find ensenga zoning (similar to how it's used against potemkin) to be very useful against him. especially when he's setting up balls; if you catch him during active frames you get a ch ensenga (which isn't fun to be hit by for anyone).

You can only wake up super if Venom runs up after knockdown and does it. If it's 2D>Dark Angel, it's slim that you can pull it off. Even then he'll already have recovered from the animation to block. Difficult part for Johnny is to actually get in when Venom's zoning. If he's all the way on the other side of the screen, then it's really difficult cause of all the angles he can shoot them as well as baiting for a 6P/6HS. I can't think of any way unless Venom guesses wrong because 2HS and j.D can effectively keep johnny out of the air. :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: