Sign in to follow this  
Kasou

the chipp blog thread

Hahahaha, Yea this is where the chipp players gather (not that there are many) to just whinge, whine and just share experiences. So yea, you came to the right place. Fresh meat player? Nice. Your combo isn't too bad. I mean my bro's best combo back then was just dash in deep 2pxn, 2d, OTG gamma. And he still beasted my newbie ass. Oh let's not forget he loved to use his stupid 632146hs overdrive as an anti air(the overdrive that chipp flys everywhere. like, ULTIMATE SPIDER style). He was like GOD-LIKE! when i didn't know how to FD. SIgh, memories. Your buddy rage quit xD. Lolz. I hope he comes back for more and hopefully he farmed up or something. Coz if he doesn't wanna play you anymore, it's just that coz he has no competitive spirit. Now if he's your ONLY competition, i suggest not improving too fast xD. But that's just me. But yea, since you live next to kensou, you dun have to care about your buddy, and just maybe tag along with kensou to some tournies or something. Yea, try to summon kensou or lil majin for some help, especially since some of the most important threads have been deleted, and it's a bitch to rewrite it all. But dun worry, im writing as we speak ><. SIgh-age.

Your buddy rage quit xD. Lolz. I hope he comes back for more and hopefully he farmed up or something. Coz if he doesn't wanna play you anymore, it's just that coz he has no competitive spirit. Now if he's your ONLY competition, i suggest not improving too fast xD. But that's just me. But yea, since you live next to kensou, you dun have to care about your buddy, and just maybe tag along with kensou to some tournies or something.

Well, I dunno about competitive spirit. See we both have a history in competitive games. Just that his game was a team game (CS) while I'm a little more used to being on my fucking own and having to learn shit the hard way. I play Quake 1v1.

Okay, so I held off a bit on playing a bit after my last post because I bought a new pad, waiting for it to come in, just been writing down some more combos and getting basic movement on my old d-pad down.

First of all, got a question, I'm going to assume that most tourneys in the US use the PS2 version of GG? If so is it legal to use those multi-key binds I find in the "Key Config" Menu? Specifically the bind that lets me do an RC with a single button? I find it much easier to just slam my left index on L2 then to entirely reposition my right hand to hit the top 3 keys with my thumb, then reposition them again to continue the combo.

Another question, after I got my pad in I did a few dry runs in Training mode and noticed something odd, every once in awhile (by that I mean roughly half the time) when I would RC Chipp's 236p, instead of stopping dead on the ground, he goes flying upwards across the screen......is this normal?

The alpha blade RC thing is very normal. You must have accidentally jump installed it by accident by either (doing the motion 2369p, or you started with a jump attack which caused the combo to have AUTOMATIC jump install). I know it sucks, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. As for key binds, i heard in EVO it was allowed, but in other tournaments it isn't. Personally I say get/build a stick. It'll be fun to build your own stick ^^ (not that i have xD)

Digit'Alsace Tourney over. the tournament was 1v1, best of 3 + loser bracket. The location was close to Straßburg, France - near the German border. Met my good friends Cuongster and Joe Higashi there. 1. Cuongster 2. Joe Higashi 3. me I wasn't sure whether i would go until the last minute, so i didn't really prepare, except for some basic training with and against Eddie, i'll come to that later. The location was pretty cool - it was one huge expo hall, full of booths with people in classy suits wanting to sell you stuff (including mercedes, and the french military). It was basically a lan for counterstrike, but there was an area for fighting games (organized by the guys from Straßburg & the GNOUZ corporation). Prelimns went good. I beat everyone in my group clean except cuongster - he was using slayer as his first char (eddie 2nd). Prelim format was 1 match only. I sticked to my gameplan vs. slayer - keepaway & harass with gamma blade until he slips up and tries to instant air dash etc. - this went quite well. Of course, once you get a knockdown (or a 2hs CH, or j-hs CH, etc), you're in deep shit. It came down to the last inch of health in the 3rd round for both of us - i took a chance, dashing over the whole screen, beta blade - and he blocked & finished it. Taking chances like that in a tourney does make sense, especially in a high level match - at one point, mixup/behavior will become really abstract, and at this point, stuff like that can work. Anyway, i proceeded into the tourney and met joe higashi in a chipp mirror as my first opponent. He pretty much butchered me - it's been a long time since i played mirror. Meanwhile, Shoto (AX) hit the loser bracket and then went to defeat cuong's brother (who was playing baiken and then switched to order sol). The match was intimidating - shoto controlled the space really well and countered baikens counters, etc. Later i met Shoto in losers and kicked him out - we play alot, so i know the chipp vs. axl matchup really well - and his playstyle. On to losers semifinal - and that was the worst tourney match of my life, i guess. I've been having problems with my stick for 2 weeks - left microswitch sometimes doesn't work (although i can hear it click). the result: chipp standing there when he should dash, etc. At one point, all i wanted to do was S,HS and chipp jumped UP. Anyway, i played against a johnny who seemed to know the matchup quite well (he was from straßburg and often plays against joe higashi). The problem is - i know the matchup really well, myself - but i could not benefit at all from this, since i pretty much fucked up every single chance i had to win the match. in the end i somehow made a comeback and it went 2-1 for me. he switched to pot for the last match, a bad move - his johnny was way better. There will be matchvids from this match on - check it out if you want to see me embarassed. Meanwhile, Cuongster defeated Joe Higashi in a close match in the winner bracket - really nerve wrecking, joe higashi played runaway both against cuongs slayer and eddie, to great effect, but he got caught in the end. Then i met joe higashi in the losers finals - pulled myself together this time. Although he beat me 2-1, it came down to the last round. And we both had tremendous fun - chipp mirror is hilarious - so fast, so random, so back and forth. Grand Finals - Cuong beat Philippe 3-1 - too bad - another chipp succumbs to eddie :( anyway, about eddie: the standard setup after an eddie rush for the unblockable goes like this: [something], eddie d.2p,2hs, release D, 22D. the problem: you can ONLY escape this UB if you instant block (or slashback, but forget that) the 2hs. You can then jump and immediately air block both the FB drill and the minieddie D. of course, eddie could do 2p, command throw - so it's still hard to counter.

Note: i've seen the matches now - it's not as bad as i thought. and SHIT, what a close comeback from me - i was down to 1 health in the last round and managed to turn the tide in the 2nd match against johnny.i actually played worse against pot than against johnny - at least 8 times j.HS instead of air throw. you can tell i had probs with my stick :( same when i tried air throwing johnny after his burst - straight jump up, nothing. and boy was i pissed when he hit me out of gamma with his super (although i did that specifically to be safe, ah well).

Apparently Chipp's 6k will get caught in potemkin's heat somehow. What a load of shit. How is the matchup against potemkin anyways? I'm assuming it's tilted in Chipp's favor but it is hard to tell.

in pot's favor, definitely. you can have have the best movement in the world, but if you're hit it can be over pretty fast.

Chipp vs Potemkin has always been the worst matchup in the guilty gear series.

Don't know about the other games, but in #R the worst match ups in the game were Jam vs Chipp and Bridget vs Potemkin (both were 15-5).

Lol~ At The Gates? I've been listening to Slaughter of The Soul 24/7 lately @.@;

Lol~ At The Gates? I've been listening to Slaughter of The Soul 24/7 lately @.@;

at the gates reunion + carcass reunion for wacken 2008. i already got my ticket the day it was announced.

anyway, about eddie:

the standard setup after an eddie rush for the unblockable goes like this:

[something], eddie d.2p,2hs, release D, 22D.

the problem: you can ONLY escape this UB if you instant block (or slashback, but forget that) the 2hs. You can then jump and immediately air block both the FB drill and the minieddie D.

of course, eddie could do 2p, command throw - so it's still hard to counter.

A bit late, but I'd like to clarify:

That setup posted is actually done as:

Eddie r.2P-2H xx 22D

- The reason the -D- appears earlier than the FB Drill is because of the large hitpause from a blocked Level 5 move. Note that Eddie cannot hold D at any earlier point (unless he has gatlinged to 2[D] just before) since that would generally result in a 5D coming out.

Also, there are many ways of escaping that mixup (it's not unblockable by any means):

- 3F window to BD or FD jump between 2P-2H, 5 frames if you IB the 2P

- 3F window to BD or FD jump between 2H-22D, 7 frames if you IB the 2H

- If you FD the 2P-2H, you should get pushed back enough to where the -D- attack takes so long to reach that it is very blockable by simply blocking the first 2 hits of 22D low, then the rest high.

- If the shadow is not directly under you after 2H, -D- won't reach you in time as above. Simply block low for the first 2 hits of the drill, then block the rest high.

Teyah - the real commands for the unblockable is: d.5S©-5HS~D (hit and hold D after hitting HS)-release D after first hit of 5HS, then cancel 5HS into 22D.......the only escapes are if you DAA or SB the 5H. d.5S©-2H~D (hit and hold D after hitting 2HS) - release D as 2H hits, then cancel 2HS with 22D. DAA and SB are escapes

Teyah - the real commands for the unblockable is:

d.5S©-5HS~D (hit and hold D after hitting HS)-release D after first hit of 5HS, then cancel 5HS into 22D.......the only escapes are if you DAA or SB the 5H.

d.5S©-2H~D (hit and hold D after hitting 2HS) - release D as 2H hits, then cancel 2HS with 22D. DAA and SB are escapes

2p,2hs is a viable setup for the unblockable though, and pretty common. after all, eddie can mixup after the 2p.

also, when i tried s,hs[1],d + 22d, i could instant block the hs[1] and air block the drill + spit. so no slashback required?

teyah, i personally find it better to input 2p,2hs~push d, immediately 22d instead of 2p,2hs,22[D] ]D[. that way the spit hits a little earlier - and you can circumvent the limitation that you cannot hold D earlier. pretty easy :)

it's true that there are several ways to escape.

best one i think is try to backdash after the 2p - in case you accidentally instant block the 2hs (happens often), you can then jump back & block.

FD works sometimes, too, but i find it less reliable than this.

of course it's hard to backdash a 2p on reaction, you would do that on anticipation.

Teyah - the real commands for the unblockable is:

d.5S©-5HS~D (hit and hold D after hitting HS)-release D after first hit of 5HS, then cancel 5HS into 22D.......the only escapes are if you DAA or SB the 5H.

d.5S©-2H~D (hit and hold D after hitting 2HS) - release D as 2H hits, then cancel 2HS with 22D. DAA and SB are escapes

teyah, i personally find it better to input 2p,2hs~push d, immediately 22d instead of 2p,2hs,22[D] ]D[. that way the spit hits a little earlier - and you can circumvent the limitation that you cannot hold D earlier. pretty easy

In all of those options, hitting and holding D during the 5H/2H will get you a 5D/2D, which you do not want. Though you can do 5H, then buffer D with 2D (since 5H does not gatling to 2D) but that still leaves you with the 3F (7F on IB) gap I mentioned above, since 5H is still a Level 5 move. There's also the issue with distance if 5H is FDed, which is probably why this setup isn't used by the better Eddies (except in the corner).

Again, the gaps on these moves is so large (even moreso if you can IB) that you just need to time a backdash or an FD jump in between the 2H and FB Drill and then air regular block the big drill. No SB required, even IB is optional.

it's true that there are several ways to escape.

best one i think is try to backdash after the 2p - in case you accidentally instant block the 2hs (happens often), you can then jump back & block.

FD works sometimes, too, but i find it less reliable than this.

of course it's hard to backdash a 2p on reaction, you would do that on anticipation.

Hm, I would say that reacting to the 2P should be the same as when it happens in regular Mawaru mixup; if you don't see a gatling during the blockpause and you see it retract, you can prime an FD jump to get away.

Instead, I would imagine the best way to escape the 2P-2H-22D would be to react to the 2H, then prime a backdash or FD jump. No need to IB or anything if you can hit that 3-frame window. Of course, you may as well try for the IB, and if you get it you've got a huge 7 frames to do something, regular jump + block would work fine. And if your Eddie is using 2P-5H(2)-22D, may as well just FD the whole thing and you're far enough away to be safe.

Again, the gaps on these moves is so large (even moreso if you can IB) that you just need to time a backdash or an FD jump in between the 2H and FB Drill and then air regular block the big drill. No SB required, even IB is optional.

i can't FD jump out of 2hs, fb drill - is it even possible? if it is, it's definitely too hard to be a viable option (or a more viable option than the others).

backdashing before the FB drill after 2hs works fine, as long as you FD the 2p before it. this is also only an escape if you aren't cornered.

Yes, it's very possible:

Also, there are many ways of escaping that mixup (it's not unblockable by any means):

- 3F window to BD or FD jump between 2P-2H, 5 frames if you IB the 2P

- 3F window to BD or FD jump between 2H-22D, 7 frames if you IB the 2H

- If you FD the 2P-2H, you should get pushed back enough to where the -D- attack takes so long to reach that it is very blockable by simply blocking the first 2 hits of 22D low, then the rest high.

- If the shadow is not directly under you after 2H, -D- won't reach you in time as above. Simply block low for the first 2 hits of the drill, then block the rest high.

(2H = 17F blockstun, 22D = 20F startup)

FD jump is also more lenient on inputs, in my experience - even if you input it a frame or two before coming out of blockstun, you'll still get it as soon you can. So that 3F window is very doable. And if you IB the 2H (easy, just tap IB a few frames after you block the 2P) it's a 7F window, which you can get out of simply by holding up+back.

FD jump is also more lenient on inputs, in my experience - even if you input it a frame or two before coming out of blockstun, you'll still get it as soon you can. So that 3F window is very doable. And if you IB the 2H (easy, just tap IB a few frames after you block the 2P) it's a 7F window, which you can get out of simply by holding up+back.

yeah, escaping after instant block is no problem at all.

about fd jumping out:

1f jump = cutting off the startup of one's jump. is there a limitation of any kind? most chars got 3 frames of jump startup, some more.

so basically i guess i have to faultless defense after the first frame of my jump startup? should be a 2 frame window, then. did you do it before against this setup?

Ah you're right, that would be a 2F window to get off the ground in time, though the backdash timing is 3F since those start immediately. I also just tested what I said about FD jump being bufferable, and it seems I was wrong on that - you have to time it precisely, similar to a timed backdash. Unfortunately(?), I haven't had to face this setup yet as I'm the only Eddie around here.

Unfortunately(?), I haven't had to face this setup yet as I'm the only Eddie around here.

i teach myself eddie since a couple of weeks, to better understand him (and meanwhile also as a secondary char, a lot to explore).

i usually program those setups until they are somewhat "clean" (i try if i can FD out, if eddie is too far away for 2p,2hs to connect if i FD, etc.).

need some advice fellow chipp players:

How do you guys deal with JA? Next month I'll once again be up against the best JA alive (Doren2k) in a tourney. At SE-R2, I got destroyed 4-0 (2casuals+2tourney). Here are a couple of things that I already know about this matchup:

Dealing with Puffballs

---------------------

-6P (at the right time) beats all puffballs for CH. Risk outweighs the reward especially if you don't have 25% tension to land a punishing combo.

-236P goes under all puffballs when he crouches. If you do the command too late, then you'll die.....literally.

-2369P goes under all puffballs for CH into a nasty combo.

-22D can land right behind her for a \/ j.HS into ground combo or \/ j.HS->236P-FRC combo

-623S.......obviously, but all you get is a knockdown that most of the time puts her into the corner, which isn't good (she can parry all okizeme jump-ins on reaction and she has a shoryuken to deal with any wakeup pressure (because you can't do any crossups))

As far as puffball goes, Chipp shouldn't get hit by random FB PB or regular PB attempts because he has many effective ways around them.

Chipp vs Jam's Ground Game

-------------------------------

-5K beats all of her mid/high normals at about 1.5 character spaces away. Trades with 2S up close....not good.

-6P beats/clashes with her 623K so if you expect a wakeup shoryuken from her, then plz 6P her ass for the CH!!

-6P beats her 5S

Chipp can easily deal with Jam on the ground. Just don't throw out slow moves that'll get FB PBed and keep your guard strings safe. Don't do 2D->rekka because the rekka can be parried and punished on reaction. She can easily take the fight to the air by iad'ing and landing behind you. When she iads at you, just crouch first then air throw or 2H/5P; don't use 6P because she'll go right over you then punish severly.

Chipp vs Jam's Air Game

---------------------------

-6P can beat any jump-in that Jam has unless they are meaty (j.2K, j.HS, and j.214K come to mind)

-5P/2H can beat any jump in she's got for the most part. Just don't use em against an obvious j.214K because that'll get you CHed into death.

-crouch then airthrow beats iad attacks as well as 5P/2H. If you have to, then shoryken her jumpin as.

Jam can't really jump at chipp but remember that ALL of her good jump-in's like j.S and j.HS are like 6frames or less so they'll beat any jump-in that Chipp can throw out. Don't jump at Jam out in the open because she can CH j.S for a devasting combo. Be very cautious about airthrowing Jam because if you mess up, then you'll get CHed by her j.HS or j.S which both lead to devastating combos especially by the wall. Her random game is one of the best in the game like Slayer's because if you get so much as poked by a simple 2K, then you'll lose half-life or more.

Let's look at some basic stats for this matchup:

CHvsJA

Abare - Jam wins hands down. If any random attack connects on Chipp then he's losing a TON of life without the use of tension whereas if Chipp randomly hits Jam, then the damage varies from "absolute shit" to "moderate" depending on tension.

Ground Game - Jam still wins because although Chipp's 5K can beat all of her high/mid attacks, he doesn't get near as much damage potential. Abare plays a big role in this.

Air Game - Jam wins hands down because air to air, her j.S/HS beat all of Chipp's jump-ins. Even though it's unsafe for her to jump against chipp, the threat of 5P,2H,6P,DP isn't enough to stop her from jumping while the threat of corner airthrow into 6H loop, j.S/HS, 2H has the damage potential to keep chipp from jumping at all.

Okizeme- Jam also wins this hands down. Both characters have absurd mixup capabilities, but Jam has a great parry, good overdrives, and a DP to kill most of Chipp's wakeup game while severly damaging him in the process if makes a simple mistake. All that Chipp has to counter jam on his wakeup is his one-hit DP, which can be parried or even FB PBed on reaction. Damage wise, both characters can really hurt each other after a successful mixup; however, Jam's mixups are more "foolproof" because she can FUCKING CROSSUP WITH A FUCKING SHORYU!!! UNSTOPPABLE!!....and they can evidently hurt more (Jam 6H loop)

Offense - You kidding me? Jam can raise the guardbar to flashing in 2 seconds!!! Chipp's offense is certainly good, but if he makes one mistake (which will most certainly happen if you're a human) then it's over. Jam wins hands down.

Defense - Jam can turtle her ass off or rush YOUR SHIT DOWN!! Plus Chipp's life leaves him a lot quicker generally and inevitably (when you get tapped by a 2K or thrown). Jam wins.......

Chipp vs Jam looks hopeless for him on paper but like all bad matchups, it's winnable. Just gotta play smart and very patient.

Like I said....I need advice still. The above is what I already know about the matchup. Any other advice on this horrible matchup is greatly appreciated!!

Dealing with Puffballs

---------------------

-22D can land right behind her for a \/ j.HS into ground combo or \/ j.HS->236P-FRC combo

too dangerous - if she does the HS puffball, you're fucked

-623S.......obviously, but all you get is a knockdown that most of the time puts her into the corner, which isn't good (she can parry all okizeme jump-ins on reaction and she has a shoryuken to deal with any wakeup pressure (because you can't do any crossups))

thats an option, but you can get clashes if she does her puffs max distance.

for max distance, non FB puffballs out of step, try gamma.

I also like to instant block puffballs, 5k, or simply straight jump up when i have time to react, then punish (or hit on her block) when falling down. she could parry though.

When she iads at you, just crouch first then air throw or 2H/5P; don't use 6P because she'll go right over you then punish severly.

if she does 623k out of iad, air throwing is very hard - i usually just get air instant block (and i think my air throws are good). Nonetheless, i agree that air throw might be the best solution.

Chipp vs Jam's Air Game

-6P can beat any jump-in that Jam has unless they are meaty (j.2K, j.HS, and j.214K come to mind)

forget 6p against her j.214k. way too dangerous, since the hit is delayed.

i will write more later, gotta head home now from work.

Dealing with Puffballs

---------------------

too dangerous - if she does the HS puffball, you're fucked

thats an option, but you can get clashes if she does her puffs max distance.

for max distance, non FB puffballs out of step, try gamma.

I also like to instant block puffballs, 5k, or simply straight jump up when i have time to react, then punish (or hit on her block) when falling down. she could parry though.

When she iads at you, just crouch first then air throw or 2H/5P; don't use 6P because she'll go right over you then punish severly.

if she does 623k out of iad, air throwing is very hard - i usually just get air instant block (and i think my air throws are good). Nonetheless, i agree that air throw might be the best solution.

Chipp vs Jam's Air Game

forget 6p against her j.214k. way too dangerous, since the hit is delayed.

i will write more later, gotta head home now from work.

Sign in to follow this