Sign in to follow this  
Kasou

the chipp blog thread

offensive option select is still in the game, just defensive (cancelling HS into FD) is not possible anymore. you can eg. air throw with 6+p+hs, to make it more safe. ground throw with hs and s is particularly good with chipp , since s is so fast.

updated again on how to play chipp and okizeme section. I put in the corner air throw cross over trick and the weird alpha blade in the corner, which should TECHNICALLY crossup. I know the computer blocks it the other way but im NOT sure if it is really that hard to hit if at all. Anyway, check it out and feel free to comment... xD lalalallala

yo kasou, nice new stuff! Specific Okizeme Air throw in Corner: 1. (make sure that you just did a single jump for your air throw), then once you land do a 22hs teleport. And air dash. You would cross up the opponent and hit them with a j.hs to that: can you add an option for air dash backwards to bait dragonpunches etc? its not really okizeme per se, but its still a very good choice in that situation. EDIT: i edited my first post in the shuriken thread today, nothing major, but more variations / possibilities. i am 100% convinced that instant air dash shuriken is a very powerful tool, im just too bad at doing it 100% of the time.

That is a good point ATG, i'll add it later. ^^ but yea, right now im working a bit on the poking thread. Everyone feel free to write stuff on what 2d and 6p can beat as they are usually the most useful of all the pokes, and i have no access to slash so i don't know if it might beat some pokes which are now quicker or woteva. So yea, get testing and start posting ^-^

minor update today. i was fooling around in training, my goal was to find corner pressure that was kinda safe, requires no tension, ends in 2hs (so you can do 6k) and makes the guard bar flash with the last hit. i came up with: (cornered opp.): running jump, late j.hs[2],\/,d.s©*,2s,5hs,tiger knee shuriken, iad. j.HS[2],\/,d.s©*²,2hs,6k. * = dash can be left out, but then 5hs is almost out of range *² = not necessary, can be left out the other one was: running jump, late j.hs[2],\/,6p,6hs, tiger knee shuriken, iad. j.hs[2],land, s©,d.s©,2hs,6k. problems: FD completely destroys it. * = unsafe vs. throw. to somehow negate that, mix up with 2k instead of 2nd dashing s©. also, enemy can jump out after 6hs in the 2nd combo. tell me what you guys think of it, its more or less just me fooling around, but it would be awesome if we could come up with a "pin" for chipp that enables us to get flashing guard bar + 6k in there... another thing: if you do s,hs,236236k super, then OTG the enemy with eg. 2k,s©...how come he doesnt tech??? at least in training..didnt try in match yet. interesting! oh yeah: check the b3c video thread for some more matches of me vs. cuongster // kekken. i play horrible in the loser bracket final vs. kekken, but at least i got a grip of myself when i played cuong in winner bracket finals. dont be shocked when you see me miss so much stuff..i'm very motivated right now, spending hours a day in training ;) gotta stay sharp for the tourney in straßburg this month. ============= tougeki dvd discussion: guys, honestly, tell me what you think. chipp vs. testa. chipp gets knockdown with 2d, doesnt go for gamma otg and successfully loses the match. what the hell was he thinking!!!! another thing: nice corner mixup in that chipp vs. rky match, he goes for very late j.2k, link 2k,s©,2d, repeat, on his third "loop" he goes for j.hs[2], rky gets hit since he switches as fast as he can from high to low guard, expecting the same setup. its not really new, but this clearly shows how effective it is (vs. chars with no real reversal). do you use that setup? do you like it? i use it against chars like dizzy from time to time, but its rather hard after an FDC drop (at least my fingers arent used to it yet, and you have to be very close, meaning, perfect fd for it to hit real good). and to susumu vs. sharon: OMFG! that match is all the explanation you can give when someone asks you for chipp's pros and cons, its all there. baiken left with an inch of health, chipp with like, a third, and she still manages to win..TWICE. like that. :(

minor update today.

i was fooling around in training, my goal was to find corner pressure that was kinda safe, requires no tension, ends in 2hs (so you can do 6k) and makes the guard bar flash with the last hit.

i came up with: (cornered opp.): running jump, late j.hs[2],\/,d.s©*,2s,5hs,tiger knee shuriken, iad. j.HS[2],\/,d.s©*²,2hs,6k.

* = dash can be left out, but then 5hs is almost out of range

*² = not necessary, can be left out

the other one was: running jump, late j.hs[2],\/,6p,6hs, tiger knee shuriken, iad. j.hs[2],land, s©,d.s©,2hs,6k.

problems:

FD completely destroys it.

* = unsafe vs. throw. to somehow negate that, mix up with 2k instead of 2nd dashing s©. also, enemy can jump out after 6hs in the 2nd combo.

tell me what you guys think of it, its more or less just me fooling around, but it would be awesome if we could come up with a "pin" for chipp that enables us to get flashing guard bar + 6k in there...

another thing: if you do s,hs,236236k super, then OTG the enemy with eg. 2k,s©...how come he doesnt tech??? at least in training..didnt try in match yet. interesting!

oh yeah: check the b3c video thread for some more matches of me vs. cuongster // kekken. i play horrible in the loser bracket final vs. kekken, but at least i got a grip of myself when i played cuong in winner bracket finals. dont be shocked when you see me miss so much stuff..i'm very motivated right now, spending hours a day in training ;) gotta stay sharp for the tourney in straßburg this month.

=============

tougeki dvd discussion:

guys, honestly, tell me what you think. chipp vs. testa. chipp gets knockdown with 2d, doesnt go for gamma otg and successfully loses the match. what the hell was he thinking!!!!

another thing: nice corner mixup in that chipp vs. rky match, he goes for very late j.2k, link 2k,s©,2d, repeat, on his third "loop" he goes for j.hs[2], rky gets hit since he switches as fast as he can from high to low guard, expecting the same setup. its not really new, but this clearly shows how effective it is (vs. chars with no real reversal). do you use that setup? do you like it? i use it against chars like dizzy from time to time, but its rather hard after an FDC drop (at least my fingers arent used to it yet, and you have to be very close, meaning, perfect fd for it to hit real good).

and to susumu vs. sharon: OMFG! that match is all the explanation you can give when someone asks you for chipp's pros and cons, its all there. baiken left with an inch of health, chipp with like, a third, and she still manages to win..TWICE. like that. :(

I think you need to check guard gauge stats on character. Might be easier/harder on some since each character has different guard increase Factor (0.85; 1.15 ...) from what I remember.

sorry ATG and folks. Haven't written here for ages or updated anything ^^" I've been busy composing ^o^ kekekekeke, wonder if you guys do some stuff like that too (GO FREE VST PLUGINS!) anywayz about corner pressure that's safe. I think it is not healthy to not do good corner pressure just because it is unsafe. To be honest, sure dash s© MIGHT get thrown, but that's just a throw... you dun lose much, it's a good risk. Subsequently, i highly recommend the jc after s©, into an extremely early j.k to fake them out, and come back down with j.hs, or j.s, and restart. Another thing i usually do to build up guard gauge is just 5k, 236s. Too bad they usually get HIT by the 5k, but oh wellz.... now about the tougeki vids: i haven't seen much of the vids but from what you wrote, i love using the j.2k, leaf throw setup. Lolz.. but yes in future im going to try that set up you posted. and about you...... 0.o crap. I saw that last week. Can't remember... lolz, but i remember one thing. Why are you so scared of getting close and personal with johnny? i'll recheck the vids when i get back home. Anyway, that's all for now.. .^-^

yo kasou. i took my time vs. johnny, cause cuong is definately the best european gg player..i had lots of respect for him, so i played it cool and just took my time :D thats unlike me btw, usually i play way too aggressive. lately i learned to switch on the fly, it improved my gameplay a lot.

So, I read kasou's threads and sutff, printed all of it out while just randomly looking at DL, went home that day and practiced some different things having never played chipp before. A night later, I go to a little gathering at my boy's house, and i am just destroying everybody. A lot of people can not DEAL with chipp. I hae gathered this due to the fact that ym chipp is extremely basic, and in some ways very defensive with the triple jump and teleport turtling techniques. It is so damn effective, I havent' found anything else to suplement these techniques for running away. The most laughable thing was, it took one of the guys I was playing a really long time to figure out that my stnadard 2d, 236s, 236k, 5p, jp, jp, jk(2 hits), jd, KD, GAMMA, etc...Was really doing no damage and just for continuous oki pressure. I had to explain that chipp doesn't do gobs of damage, and that he's just a whittling character. The post gamma mix-up is to strong, I could pretty much air-throw them with the 22k teleport trap everytime, but I liked having options. I don't know, this could just be their in-experience against chipp, which worries me since i'm taking one of them to evo as a teammate, but I would just liek to say thanks to you all, my chipp is extremely basic, but for some reason extremely effective. Semi-turtling with chipp worked so well for me. I had no problems with Baiken, Slayer, Testament, zappa, or faust. I did however have a extremely big problem the next day with pot. My eye's cant seem to register the backdash fast enough to stop myself from doing something to continue pressure. But, I think I just need more time with this matchup.

hahahahaha, so happy to see that our work has made you a better player and an extremely effective one ^^. Well well, about Pot, yes pot is definately hard. That back dash bull shit takes a while to get used to it. As for the tick throw set ups.. here are two basic setups they all use: a) mega fist b) jump dust Well if they're close, all you have to do is ALPHA BLADE. Or be stupid like me and do beta blade. But if they're smart they might do aegis shield on your face, and you lose the match (i so want to show you guys how bad i lost, esp to THAT. But the aus tournament is not letting any vids out until the dvd is out -.-) As for his other jump in's or if you see jump dust coming, you should always be ready to beta blade that crap. At least if it's your first few times (even first dozen) playing against a pot player, it would work. But yes.... if they really like j.hs, seek comfort in knowing your 6p would own that shit for free. You might have to goto training mode to learn the timing to deal with j.s.... now about your chipp being basic. You see, ppl usually forget what chipp basically is and focus too much on advanced tactics. Sometimes it is important to remember your basic annoying turtling skills, and then at the right time switch to advanced pressure. But anyway, we are so happy reading your post. LOL... GO CHIPP!!!

Awesome, thanks for some of the anti-Potemkin stuff. In all honesty the main problem I was having was post buster mix-ups revolving around the SJ.s towards me. I think this is where potemkin's absolutely the most lethal, true fact you can beta blade the slash, but if he expects it, your bustered and back into the same situation. So yeah, it will just take some testing and stuff to figure out the safest way to try to escape that crap. In other news, I really can't wait to see some chipp's at EVO, i'll mess with him of course in casuals, just to see hwo far the basics will get me lol. Oh yes, quick qestion. I understand the best way to set up a s© frame trap/pressure game is after a meaty and deep 2k. I am having some trouble doing this on wake-up, as i have been succumbing to some wake-up throws. I may just be mis-timing the 2k, or am I not supposed to be doing this on wakes?

Hm, well i guess there is two reasons for your mistimed 2k and you being thrown. 1) Your spacing is not good enough, and you are too close to the opponent 2) You are not used to the wake up speed of each individual character, as they wake up with different speeds. To counter these problems you must position yourself better and learn the timing. Go to training mode. How to do this in training mode? Well pick Chipp is your main character first, then pick another character as your dummy. Then record 4hs (spam it hard) for your dummy character. Now knock your dummy down. Then set dummy to play back, and then good luck timing and POSITIONING yourself correctly. If you can't be stuffed going to training mode, this is how i do it. I actually look at them get up, and once i see them pick themselves up i hit the button. Usually it works, but sometimes it doesn't. Another thing, because i usually use OTG setups as my okizeme, im usually positioned correctly. Say for example if i do OTG gamma, dash in 2p, s©, 22k teleport behind (oppononent DOES NOT tech). I am usually distant enough to not eat a throw, and also close enough for 2k, s©, 2d to connect. Now in all honesty, i recall most of my s© pressure usually coming after a blocked RC teriyaki (low kick followup of 236s [aka sushi/rekka]). But that's just me..... oh wellz, hope that helped and good luck with it all..... ^-^

drunk right now, space reserved to comment on this tomorrow. ok, sober now. what i do to "simulate" a perfect wakeup throw is use my turbos for my hori RAP. they are really reliable, i wouldn't recommend mashing, but if you don't have access to a turbo stick / pad, its the only safe way to do it if you dont have 2 players. the other way would be to program your enemy to do whatever you wanna do with chipp, and reversal throw yourself.

just wanted to say that i've deleted a few posts from the matchvids, and matchups thread. I've deleted them coz... well obviously some were offtopic, or didn't do much, wasn't friendly, or the controvesy issue is already passed so i thought, maybe it's good to delete them and keep stuff relatively more on topic. So things i deleted from the top of my head were: a double post, um... something about saving space and direct linking 0.o, and then 3/4 posts about "no more spam plz" lolz.... and yea, you get the drift.. but if you guys dun want me to delete these rather useless posts, you can tell me. I dun realli mind...... since we seem to be a really good group compared to many other threads.. shrug ^^

my 1st entry in here whoo! anywhoo the story goes like this...(a kinda depressing 1 too at that) evo was a very upsetting experience for me and chipp this year...i got beat horribly by fubar, and i stress horribly and hell, i jus played like shit overall in the biggest tourny of the year. so by default ima feel crappy lol. so i did lots of thinking and very very in depth thinking...i've really been considering dropping chipp or taking a break from him to play either bridget or order sol. why? it jus sucks so hard when u try ur damned hardest and get tossed up after 2and1/2 combos...normally i'd re-evaluate my loss and restrategize, but this time i'm like "theres no point to playing chipp anymore"... however before this, i realized sumfin...when i played against the japanese for the hours on end we played, i realized that i had to totally re-think my gameplan....TOTALLY. especially against ruu...playing against him as long as i did i learned alot. and after i took ruu off his 30-sum odd streak, i moved on to american players, and i must say that its a totally different ball game. i honestly felt i had to lower my thought process to play again cuz playing ruu for so long was jus a different experience and i lost a good bit too. i learned that US players are very unsafe, myself included, and that maybe we're too big on fancy tricks and mixups when we should jus go for the garunteed setups that lead to 50/50 or 70/30's ya kno? while talking to ruu i asked about my play of course, and he explained that when chipp gets in most he can do wit no counter hit is very minimal damage. however, when chipp attempts to get close and guesses wrong the pay off for the opponent is greater than chipp hitting them in general. now of course i been knew this for ages and that never stopped me before but, thinking about how much damage chipp gets vs the rest of the cast is intresting. chipp doesnt get good damage of off 25% meter like per se bridget, however he can do good damage off of the new counter hit moves of course i thought. and then theres the FDC which i dont use at all (its sad yes i kno), so i was like ok i do have damaging options. then it jus hit me..."why try so hard? every other char doesnt have to try vs chipp? guess right twice if not 3 and round 2?" oh how theory fighter is great no? of course at this time i was a bit bitter i'll admit mind u.. so ruu recomended i try bridget cuz she/he(wutever) is safe, does very good damage, and has the magneto like mixups or good 50/50's if u will. so after he shows me all this good stuff wit bridget, i still wanted to play order sol. why? its XX chipp wit better moves lol. he seems to have the same problems as chipp back in XX so i figure i can work wit him but i may have to work jus as hard as chipp to do damage. long story short tho, i'm considering going on hiatus wit chipp for a while....or until i figure out sumfin new but untill then i'm at my wits end...

I have the same feelings with you Kensou. After spending so much time perfecting the combo executions and thinking of mindgames, the rewards for chipp in the matchup isn't that significant compare to other chars. Chipp has to rely on counter hit state or raising the guard guage to proof his threat to the opponents. Damn, even millia can deal better damage than chipp without using any tension (I refer to the air combo j.hs relaunch). Nevertheless, we'll still stick to chipp for his speed and versatility (ok, his fancy moves too). By the way, I believe you have experienced this sensational mindset too: when your chipp had left with 1 healthpoint before KO and you're so focused on not losing from chip damage that you unleashed your hidden potential (seed mode...lol) and do the moves based on reaction you yourself couldn't explain the logic behind them. At that point, you believe that you're untouchable and did go for the kill (winning comeback). That aftermath feeling is just so satisfying and you will keep coming back for more since chipp dies so easily. :) Warning: Never over-unleashing that hidden potential too much or you find yourself staring beyond the screen and go to the other spiritual dimension. LOL. Kudos.

you know, i wrote a lot here yesterday BUT!!!! i accidentally hit the "go back" button on the keyboard at my friends house, and THERE GOES MY POST. But basically what i tried to say was: Every chipp player has to go through this mentality. And not just once, but a few times. In the past i tried to switch up characters and stuff. With my new characters it felt so easy to win (when i do win) compared to using chipp. But soon, my friends and competition said, i was just more enjoyable to play with when i use chipp. Everything was a lot more exciting with the matches fluctuating all the time. And they can't get enough of my preessure, they say it's one of the most intense stuff to fight against. Additionally i jsut found that..... i enjoyed using chipp. Say for example, when i play arcade mode against the computer, i may like using sol for his dust loop but apart from that... using chipp's teleport here and there, using crazy JI combos, and stupid OTG gamma blade setups, along with rekka and s© pressure.. nothign makes me more happy than using chipp and KICKING ASS. Using sol and kicking us is just.. smeh. Using ky and kicking us is also just, smeh. But using chipp. Man.... I just like it. It's quick, it's agressive, it ROCKZ!

I'm not a Chipp player but I say if you enjoy playing a character, make it happen! Don't switch just for easier results. Now if you aren't even having fun with your character anymore, screw it.

hm. kensou, i feel you about switching to an easier character, especially if you've reached a "limit". But even yourself admitted that you don't use the maximum potential of your character (fdc air-stuff, 2d JI teleport wake-up games, etc)... maybe just try to find tons of new, fresh content and work from that. If you truly like Chipp, you can -make- him a killer. Just like Ruu makes bridget a killer, he had to create his OWN stuff and create the highest level for that character. i think that you know your biggest flaws more than anyone, and with much practice and just working through the kinks of a new style, you can learn to avoid minor damage situations which hurt chipp the most.

Oi Kensou, i've heard about your Chipp, I play Chipp,(not very well at all) as my 2nd and i've always wanted to find a Chipp player to learn from. You should keep playing him, I'm jsut beginning to understand how great he is. And good damn, Strider pwnz, no?

oh? ...me hehe, well I'm the resident Ninja maniac. I play ninja chars in almost every fighting game i play, and I also play every ninja game that comes along, no matter how bad it is. When i first played Chipp, i thought he ahd alot to work with, i first played him in X but i was a bit annoyed with look and feel. I would mind game aroudn with him but that's about it. When i began playing Chipp in Slash I found a whole new aspect of him and began to really respect teh char not as ajsut a fun char but as a serious one, though i knew i was very far from seriously competing with others with him, I also began to see teh humour and irony in his character. But really, i noticed how much like Strider Hiryu he is, and how if u tryed you could punish the crap out of ppl and completly control teh flow of the match,lol, i guess id say that Chipp is mental. But there were those who swore Chipp was crap and that Strider also is crap- Now we all know that isnt true, i also have to give it up for Ibuki, in 3S too. I had heard of Kensou from others that he is the best Chipp around, but not till I saw his Avatar did i even slightly believe them,hehe Keep Playing chipp man, he's great xD

i appreciate the uplifting comments guys. i've been re-evaluating everything since my last post, and yea i'm not dropping chipp at all. i belive it was jus that my angst got the best of me at that time and i wanted to "scrub out" if u will. or better put, try sumfin different ya kno? but i thought to myself "i mean really haha 3yrs wit chipp? only to drop'em?" to drop'em entirely of course isnt smart on my behalf, so now i'm gonna put all my shit back in gear and in full force for the future. also shin, best chipp around? probably, however alot of the guys on here are hella noteworthy. at the gates, kasou, dying chipp, they all for the most part always have alot to say and have mad useful info. any of these guys in accordance to the other cats on this forum can help u out if i cant and thats for sure. if u ever wanna kno sumfin u can hit me up on aim at magus0002 if u want or jus pm me on here. which ever u choose... sidenote: i'm hoping chipp doesnt get the chop in acent core. all the latest changes are good and i cant see a reason to mess wit chipp's current properties. also i'm having a hella hard time finding the updates on him within this version, yes i kno theres a thread about AC but i cant find jack on chipp...all i can see is "baiken sucks now and *insert random crap i could give 2 shits about here*" so u guys get my point? haha either way when we get it here i'll see wut they messed over, but it wouldnt hurt to kno wuts going on right about now....

awesome, thanks, i heard you were around austin at some point or sumwhere and sum1 told me that you play teh best chipp in Texas, so i hope maybe you can show me some stuff oneday, i really love chipps combos , also if u could link me to the Baiken changes i'd much appriciate it. I'll add u to my aim next time, thanks alot man

Sign in to follow this