Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digital Watches

Axl v. Dizzy

Dizzy

General Strategy:

With the ability to have a ton of shit on the screen and two airdashes, Dizzy can be a little scary for Axl. This match essentially boils down to "stay on top of her or you die."

Spacing games:

Firstly, when in a neutral situation, try to never be in Dizzy's IAD range. While an early 5P can hit her out of it, IAD j.2S is possibly the only aerial move in the entire game Axl simply can't easily deal with. Lucky for you, if she tries to airdash in from too far away, 5P will hit her even if she superjumps. Also, you should always try to not be where an ice spike can hit you when coming in from the air. Since you have 5P and IAD j.S to punish any and all summon attempts, Dizzy has to get you knocked down before she has any toys. Make sure not to throw out 5P or 2P or any poke really when Dizzy is in neutral, as a lot of Dizzy players have the mistaken impression that throwing out an ice spike randomly in hopes to counterhit you is a good idea, and letting them do it will just encourage this behavior. You can bait it for a free knockdown with rensen if it gets too annoying. When you throw something out at long range, do it on reaction to Dizzy trying to jump or summon something. If Dizzy DOES get a fish and rush in, no matter how strong the temptation, do NOT default to Housoubako. You will hit the fish and Dizzy will get her knockdown, and once she gets a knockdown, it's basically GGPO Axl. Speaking of which, Dizzy players who know the matchup well will play conservative and fish for a knockdown. If this happens, you have little to fall back on, but here's some stuff that's good to try:

Defense:

It's hard for Dizzy to get in, but once she does, the Japanese matchup assessment starts to make sense. Being in blockstun or knocked down in any way is highly to Dizzy's advantage, and between fish on the screen and her huge throw range she has some tick-throws that are a bitch for anyone to get out of, let alone Axl, who is probably the character worst equipped to deal with tickthrows in general. In short, defense is hard as hell and Axl can't get out very easily. It's VERY hard to FD her out as well, as you have to deal with fish while she dashes back in, so you want to be IBing and chicken-blocking (To avoid tickthrows) as often as possible. Benten (only by virtue of being throw-invincible a little bit), f.S, 2K, 5K, and sometimes 3P are your poking options, and first you have to gain frame advantage. Remember that hitting Dizzy is much better than hitting the fish, but that you have to watch out for the fish, too. In my opinion, this match is up there with Eddie and Venom as far as being hard to break out of pressure in, so try to avoid losing momentum in the first place.

Pros:

-Dizzy can't easily summon from neutral

-Dizzy can't easily approach from the air if she's too far away to cross up.

-Dizzy's big hitbox in the air makes her very easy to combo for Axl. In the corner, he can do horrible, horrible things to her for not much meter, bringing his overall damage output up significantly.

Cons:

-Axl has no viable way to get out of Dizzy's lockdown/Oki, so a knockdown could well be game over

-j.2S at ideal range isn't something Axl can deal with very well

-Tickthrows with added range are a bitch

My opinion:

HH calls this 6-4 Dizzy's advantage. I used to think it was a little better than that for Axl, but now I'm almost inclined to agree. Either way, Axl is solid enough overall to be tough for Dizzy when in neutral, but really suffers on the defensive, moreso probably than against most other characters.

Heya, Id like to see a match up analysis for the Dizzy Match up:kitty: Well, its considered a bad match FOR Axl if you follow them japanese (4:6) All the Dizzy players outside of Nippon would disagree, that this was inverted or at least a 5:5. Well, lets try to take down this myth that Dizzy instant fails when she faces Axl!:keke: PS H.H. remark on this match up goes something like, "Pftt, I have nothing to fear from Axl. But this fucking Chipp is fucking me up! His j. HS is owning me!"

Curious myself on Axl game play vs Dizzy, as a Dizzy player myself. from expierence Whiffing ice spike, 2hs are punishable by Rensengeki into arieal which makes me hisitant about throwing random ice spike and then to frc it, usually hard since Im always in a bad mood vs Axl. 5p? diable dizzy air dash and most of her summons, which annoyings the hell out of me, Now i wish I was H.H. probably should belong in the dizzy forum but I like to hear both sides on this match up.

Ok, I know that I'm a crappy player and my Dizzy opponent is also lackluster. My problem is: When trying to counter, each catch has a crippling drawback. First off, 214P. She has so many projectiles, and Ice Spike. I just get hit with something I can't counter. Next: 623P. My favorite counter by FAR, this one can get the projectiles, but it's those damn multi-hit moves that beat it. That's odd, considering the frame data said that the counter attack is invulnerable to strikes frames 1-15. Is its startup longer than that?

Ok, I know that I'm a crappy player and my Dizzy opponent is also lackluster. My problem is: When trying to counter, each catch has a crippling drawback. First off, 214P. She has so many projectiles, and Ice Spike. I just get hit with something I can't counter. Next: 623P. My favorite counter by FAR, this one can get the projectiles, but it's those damn multi-hit moves that beat it. That's odd, considering the frame data said that the counter attack is invulnerable to strikes frames 1-15. Is its startup longer than that?

Yeah. The invulnerability only lasts up until the hit.

Basically, like I said in the writeup, housou isn't that good against Dizzy, since a fish will almost always provide another hit, or even take your hit for her. It can occasionally be used to get out of pressure, but I wouldn't rely on it. Tenhou is just a bad idea in general. I guess you could use it if you're not good at judging whether IAD j.2S will cross up or not, but it's just too much of a risk, especially in a match where getting forced into defense is so crippling.

I fully argee on DWs writeup, even that I just don't have the feeling to already know enough about Dizzy to realy judge her.. This is quite a problematic matchup: Basically catches get a very rare oportunity in this matchup. Use them only if she doesn't have any projectile out but tries to make contact.. but you may have guessed, such situations are quite rare. Once she is in medium range she owns every of Axls moves priority-wise and as Axls lacks short range pokes she even has some mixup oportunities without projectiles which she doesn'T have against other charas as her gaps beteween moves without projectiles out are often too big. Actually it's really hard to throw anything at a solid Dizzy even from range as long as there is any projektile on the screen. If you try to move around them she can counter your movement (which can't be too variable in such situations) or just block and hope you get hit while you try attacking her but as soon as you block one she can air dash an from nearly anywhere on the screen and start rushing.. Ice Spikes are much better than Eddies Drills as they can hit you out of 5P and even allow her to combo from a CH. While this isn't the end of the world it does not allow you to controll space as good as in other matches. Furthermore she can even bait out lots of you anit air moves (notably 6K) through moving into your range and than air dash back, than forward which allows her to start pressure or even punish you should you whiff 6K. And actually if the Dizzy player is good at timing techs she can even tech trough your pokes if you try to go for a recovery trap after you already hit her in the air and tech trough them and start pressure as her air to gound moves and air movement are just godlike (and you may have heard it: being right above Axl owns him pretty much!)! I've experienced this skill against one of Europes best Dizzies and it scared the shit out of me. As you can see I have grasped much of the problem but have trouble finding a solution.. now Dizzy players, tell me what you don't like about Axl.. I haven't figured out this matchup so hints are welcome^^..

That's less an advantage as it sounds as Dizzy gets the same damage.. not from a throw but therefore her mixup / pressure is generally better than Ayl :P

now Dizzy players, tell me what you don't like about Axl.. I haven't figured out this matchup so hints are welcome^^..

I find Axl's 5P frickin' annoying at the start of the round and I'm in neutral. If he's good at zoning, I basically can't airdash into my j.dS and start pressure. It also hits me out of summoning if he can predict fast enough and dashes in with it. At neutral, Axl pretty much needs to control space and stay on top of me. Be careful though, if it's spammed too much eventually I'll see a whiffed 5P, which is an easy Icespike CH for knockdown and (typically) leads to the end of Axl.

I'm only about 4 months as Dizzy player, so I don't know too much more than that, but I hope it helps somewhat.