Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digital Watches

Axl v. Millia

Millia Rage

General strategy:

Millia's probably got some of the scariest mixup in the game on oki (A lot of which is unreactable), and it's a safe bet that the millia you're playing knows how to use it. Learn to fucking block, and make sure not to do anything too stupid.

Anti-Air:

Axl has a huge problem in this matchup: His AA game gets destroyed by Millia's pin, and a CH pin is something you don't want to get hit by. Basically, be very careful when Millia does have her pin, try to get her to throw one when you can block, and then puppyguard that thing like your life depends on it. Some people say go for Housou against it, but I disagree. She can block Shiranami just fine, and if you DON'T shiranami, you just get thrown. Millia likes to approach from the air, and if she doesn't have that pin, she's as much a sitting duck there as any other character. Keep it that way if at all possible. For 2K her only good anti-lowprofile air normal is j.K as far as I know, and she has to do it very low, which is not a normal part of millia's approach. Go ahead and duck under pretty much any IAD attempt, especially j.D.

Waking up:

Like I said before, Millia's oki is going to be a bitch to block, but you have to learn it. Her basic pattern is always going to be to put a disc on top of you and go high-low-crossup while you're forced to block it. If it's a FB disc, you cannot reversal out, period. If it's an H disc, you can get out of exactly one mixup, and that's Iron Savior. Even though it's low, it's apparently enough off the ground to get beaten by S Benten sometimes, so if Millia gets greedy, you can sometimes go for that (If it's super deep, it does hit low enough to beat S Benten, but will trade with H benten). Of course, she can always FRC and block, so don't be too confident in it working. Other than that, you just want to block. She isn't amazing at keeping pressure going, so once you block that one mixup, you have to worry about a short string and maybe a throw attempt. If she goes for bad moon and doesn't FRC it, you get to punish her a lot of the time, everything else you kind of have to wait out. If you're afraid of throws or just think you can't react, you can try to 1FJ out of anything if you can do it on reversal, but if you do it too much you might get airthrown, and for Pete's sake, remember to have enough meter to FD or you'll just get smacked by a c.S half the time. Going for throw will work sometimes, but never do it, because Millia can bait that shit all day and gets to combo you into knockdown for trying.

Neutral:

This may just be me being old-fashioned, but I try not to do anything too slow and low against millia. IADing over stuff is a great way for her to get in, and she'll take the opportunity where she can. Go for 3P and f.S when she's running in, and get in yourself with things like 2K or air stuff. Once you get her into your pressure, she's no different from any other character. No real reversals to speak of besides super, which is actually pretty fast, so try to avoid doing anything too risky when she has 50+ meter. Don't go for 2K in that situation, or Bomber, or 6H, just do something safe and FRCable (Raei, 2H, Benten), or run and faultless to bait it if she's way too antsy. If you feel ballsy and are sure she'll do it, you can smack her with 63214H just like any other high-recovery reversal, but that's all flashiness. Watch out for roll and fuck her up for doing it. 2H, 3P, 2K, and throw are all good tools for this. You'd think she'd be able to roll out of Rashou, but she can't, so that works as well as it does against anyone. One thing to remember is that you should probably go for knockdown from every combo on millia, and doing so off of throw is very hard, so going for throw-->Rensen is probably your best bet.

Pros:

-Small throw range means Millia has to work for those tick throws.

-No reversal besides super, so you get to oki her most of the time.

-Benten beating iron savior is still way too cool.

Cons:

-Pin makes it hard to AA. Luckily she only has one.

-Oki mixup is way too strong

-Airdashes make it a little harder to see where she'll get hit in the air, but that just means you have to be a bit faster on the draw.

My opinion:

5-5 dead even. This match is a lot of hard work for Axl, but it's not in Millia's favor like some would claim. She gets to rush in a lot when she has a pin, but if you're smart, you can make life hard for her, especially from the air. If nothing else, Axl can win the war of attrition hands down. You only need two good combos to kill her (One and a half if they're corner combos), whereas she has to get you to guess wrong at least three or four times to eat your lifebar.

The more I think about this, the more I come to believe that Axl only has two truly "bad" matchups: Baiken & Millia. We've already talked about Baiken a bit, but she just limits you so much. A major handicap to overcome! And against Millia, I just don't see what he can do about the hairpin. She can stay out of his range and toss it, and it lets her get in for free. And of course, he doesn't have an easy way out of her mixups either. Hoping to get a chance to work on these in the near future... -Josh

The more I think about this, the more I come to believe that Axl only has two truly "bad" matchups: Baiken & Millia.

We've already talked about Baiken a bit, but she just limits you so much. A major handicap to overcome!

And against Millia, I just don't see what he can do about the hairpin. She can stay out of his range and toss it, and it lets her get in for free. And of course, he doesn't have an easy way out of her mixups either.

Hoping to get a chance to work on these in the near future...

-Josh

Um. Interesting? What exactly makes Millia a worse matchup than Jam?

Millia is and always has been Axl's worst match pretty much. Jam is pretty bad too. Hum, I don't see Baiken as a bad matchup though I've never had problems with her before. SHE has to be careful playing Axl because throwing out careless counters will wind up with HER being countered. There's also the fact that Axl's improved long range makes her need to be a lot more cautious when jumping from far away. You can pretty easily harrass her at long range and then just be ready to counter the superman. And again, for 25% tension Axl does TONS of damage to her and knocks down. The main reason Axl is bad against Jam is that she is excellent at getting past his long range game and she ruins his shit straight out once she's on him. Millia is Axl's worst nightmare because like Josh said, the pin kills everything Axl has. It comes out amazingly fast and stuffs like all of his long range. Just to shorten things, sorry if it's vague but: Millia kills Axl at long range Millia DESTROYS THE SHIT out of Axl up close, no contest Once Millia gets her mixups rolling it's next to impossible for Axl to really escape. Most all of her pressure is reversal safe and she can screw you for jumping or backdashing, all while mixing you up. Millia can FB Disc out of a LOT of Axl's pressure, and even if you wind up CHing her out of it she will probably wind up comboing you into knockdown. At the very best you block her FB disc and get forced into her pressure. I'm unsure if the projectile counter wins against the Disc since it hits twice, I doubt it. Millia does good damage vs. Axl and knocks back down off of all of her random mixups. The only real advantage for Axl in the matchup is that he does tons of damage to her for 25% tension, and will prolly knock her down. Then if he manages to mix her up again, then he wins the round. Still a horrid horrid match. The match is better in some ways in AC than it was in Slash or #R(Axl is a better character in AC), but it's worse in some ways also(Millia is better defensively making Axl's hope of actually starting an offense on her much harder whereas if he actually got lucky and knocked her down in #R/Slash he could get something going pretty easy and since Rensen added Guard Balance he could get her to flashing guage VERY fast.)

Jam v Axl sucks for Axl. Anyone who can run fast, attack fast, and airdash fast is gonna give him probs. Harder than Milla? Hell no, that bitch is the hardest outside chipp IMO

Jam v Axl sucks for Axl. Anyone who can run fast, attack fast, and airdash fast is gonna give him probs. Harder than Milla? Hell no, that bitch is the hardest outside chipp IMO

Nah. Millia and Chipp aren't that bad. Millia's only tool that really stymies Axl's AA game is her pin, so once you've blocked that, keep her away from it and she has no real way of getting in on you. Chipp is different, but not hard. The only thing you have to watch out for is his teleports, as having someone just above his head is something Axl doesn't like. If you could give me specific problems you have with these matchups, I'd be glad to help you out.

I agree with Digital Watches about the millia match is not that hard she really don't have anything long range and the only thing that really stymies Axl's AA game is her pin and if she runs at you just use your medium range pokes and if she does her roll you can hit it because she doesn't have any invisible frames in her roll and if she do the moon you can hit it with any AA.

This match is not that bad as jam or chipp match for axl.

Anyone know the best combos against May? I like to air gatling alot, but may's weight is weird so i can't keep her juggled for long. Any advice?

I agree with Digital Watches about the millia match is not that hard she really don't have anything long range and the only thing that really stymies Axl's AA game is her pin and if she runs at you just use your medium range pokes and if she does her roll you can hit it because she doesn't have any invisible frames in her roll and if she do the moon you can hit it with any AA.

This match is not that bad as jam or chipp match for axl.

Wow thanks, I didn't know she wasn't invisible during her roll. Do you know if your fast enough, is it possible to parry her pin throw. Even better if you could straight parry and add forcebreak(Shiranami no Homura)?

Wow thanks, I didn't know she wasn't invisible during her roll. Do you know if your fast enough, is it possible to parry her pin throw. Even better if you could straight parry and add forcebreak

I'm not sure trying to SB it is a good idea, since you'd have to visually confirm whether she's doing the S or HS version, and the S version only has 11F startup. It's much easier to go for instant block, and then block or AA her (whichever you have time to do). Either way, try to get momentum away from her as soon as she uses the pin, as it really is her only real way of getting in on Axl from the air.

EDIT: Oh. You probably meant Housoubako (623P). Well, if she's very close, it may be worth a try, but I'd say it's a risk, and probably better to just do the safer (not to mention meterless) option.

Also: If you're going to try to hit her out of her roll, make sure to use fast moves with large hitboxes (2H, f.S, or 3P come to mind) or just try to throw her, as while she has no frames of full invulnerability, the move does make her hittable box very small.

Wow thanks, I didn't know she wasn't invisible during her roll. Do you know if your fast enough, is it possible to parry her pin throw. Even better if you could straight parry and add forcebreak(Shiranami no Homura)?

Well if you mean slashback the pin I don't think is a good idea to do that what I do is instant block the pin and do a 6p because she will come down to attack and if she doesn't attack she eat the 6p.

If you were talking about the 623p counter is posible to do Shiranami no Homura and still hit her but that depends on how high in the sky she is and is a waste of tension, so is better to instant block the pin and attack her with 6p while she's coming down.

About the roll if she is doing it from far trying to get close, use 2h, 3p and 2p but if she do it close, jump because that way she can't throw you and you will be safe and can airdash away or attack.

Shes not fully invincible, it's a low profile / low stance move, thus moves that have a hitbox that goes low enough will still hit her.

Milla dash in slash will just fuck you up as Axl, you don't want to commit to moves cause she can change levels and punish at the same time. SO any fast recovering move you throw out gets murked.:vbang: If you whiff an attack, basicaly even full screen she can dash in punish after it. Jam can too, but the follow ups are not as scary.

With millia you can not be poking that much, SO you need to know when to poke and not be throwing random attacks.

In this match patience and good blocking will help axl to win.

Remember if she is runing at you use 5S(f), 5k and even 6p because if you do any move that is not that fast enough she can jump it and punish you.

With millia you can not be poking that much, SO you need to know when to poke and not be throwing random attacks.

In this match patience and good blocking will help axl to win.

Remember if she is runing at you use 5S(f), 5k and even 6p because if you do any move that is not that fast enough she can jump it and punish you.

Like I said before, Millia's oki is going to be a bitch to block, but you have to learn it. Her basic pattern is always going to be to put a disc on top of you and go high-low-crossup while you're forced to block it. If it's a FB disc, you cannot reversal out, period. If it's an H disc, you can get out of exactly one mixup, and that's Iron Savior. Even though it's low, it's apparently enough off the ground to get beaten by it, so if Millia gets greedy, you can sometimes go for that.

Now, I know from talking to you at Evo that "it" here is Benten S, but you don't actually say that anywhere.