Sign in to follow this  
HexaNoid

[CSE] Noel Vermillion Critique And Self-Improvement Thread

Thanks. I do know that muzzle flitter doesn't hit low, and I usually do optic barrel, but I was autopiloting more than usual for a good lot of that match. Lag in ranked is considerably worse than player matches, as you can't pick your opponent. Still, not an excuse, and it's something I do often in players matches too. I still do fenrir even when it's not a finishing when I'm outclassed, because if I get a good hit in, it's tough to get more, so I just go for guaranteed damage. Also, I can do 22BBBBBBBBB etc. for maybe 10 heat after as well, and sometimes a throw after 2C, both of which give me a bit more room from my cornered opponent. I don't know, since it's my own speculation, but I think it's better pressure. Obviously, I should not fenrir all the time, so I need to learn when not to as well.

I think most, if not all of my problems stem from fundamentals, which is what I want to improve the most.

Yuji, don't take it as its "NEVAH FENRIR!" that 1.1k damage is still decent and it gives you oki. but just remember there are better uses for heat. In certain matches her Counter Assault is a life saver, being able to RC a risky move is worth it (ie they're on one primer and you try to break it but they barrier), at 50 heat she has a DP and at 100 heat she has a DP that leads into RC 662D for your 4.8k drive string, or 663C for a haida loop. (CH is bettah since you get more time to hit confirm)

Yuji, don't take it as its "NEVAH FENRIR!" that 1.1k damage is still decent and it gives you oki. but just remember there are better uses for heat. In certain matches her Counter Assault is a life saver, being able to RC a risky move is worth it (ie they're on one primer and you try to break it but they barrier), at 50 heat she has a DP and at 100 heat she has a DP that leads into RC 662D for your 4.8k drive string, or 663C for a haida loop. (CH is bettah since you get more time to hit confirm)

Fenrir is a terrible DP, and it's really never a good idea to use it as such. That doesn't stop me btw, but I'm just saying, it's really not a good idea :v

Yeah, there's so much I need to learn. Hopefully, if anyone's down to play, I'm open to learning. This is my first fighter, so my fundamentals are weak compared to my excecution.

Here are some vids from my last tourney that I would like looked at and critiqued.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9hAjfeBVwc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ixtOT1hRE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HsOvcZI2QQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKpVVPz5zsg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQaXKyiZFA&feature=related

To defend myself here, this is the first time I used an arcade stick since January, so expect to see some weird inputs like 3C instead of 6C.

For my drive combos on midscreen, I used the CS1 version of it since I didn't know the new ones. Since then I have found better combos for more damage.

@Raptor: Okay, those were really long. I watched a good majority of it though. I don't really see a lot of problems personally. I see some random j.Ds that lead into great counter-hit opportunities for the opponent (too high usually). I would definitely try and avoid doing that so much unless you know you'll have a good chance of confirming it.

You did very well at covering up your blocked 3Cs into a RC > 2D. I seriously give you credit for landing several of those on people that thought they had a free chance at you. Obviously try not to do that without meter (you said some may have been controller issues) even though everyone is guilty of it. You play a solid game.

Outside of getting hit with a few random air-unblockables (Inferno Divider, really?! WHY?!)and tightening up combo execution there isn't much I can point out. Maybe one of the more wise players can see things I do not.

I wholly understand I am not the best player in the world and my advice is subjective. That's my 2 cents at any rate.

As someone that also plays Haku that guy was just playing sloppy as hell.

Edited by Arcknight

Regarding said player, he proceeded to kick my ass in the GG tourney afterwards T_T

Anyway, thanks for the input. I am noticing however that it is kind of hard to actually try breaking my own rhythm (as in I always use the overhead during my blockstrings) to find new ways of getting damage, especially outside of training.

Finish your combos.

Watching your match with WOZ made me throw up a bit.

@Sonic

Just watched the last vid, noticed you don't barrier block in the air. During the first round Plat could've done an air unblockable string but didn't (in which he should have seeing you didn't have barrier on). Don't worry much about the dropped combos and failed dash cancel 6Cs/5Bs, I'm sure you'll get used to the timing as you play more and besides those games were just online.

Also, good song on that vid! I like.

@Sonic

Just watched the last vid, noticed you don't barrier block in the air. During the first round Plat could've done an air unblockable string but didn't (in which he should have seeing you didn't have barrier on). Don't worry much about the dropped combos and failed dash cancel 6Cs/5Bs, I'm sure you'll get used to the timing as you play more and besides those games were just online.

Also, good song on that vid! I like.

That is the reason why my Dash Canceling out of Haida's looks so sloppy (Timing Wise).

But that is something I should work on. Thanks Klazzix for your feedback.

Finish your combos.

Watching your match with WOZ made me throw up a bit.

lol Really?

Anyways, I've been dropping combos. I should work on that.

Thanks Luna.

Goddammit Netplay making me look like a fool. :cry:

Only thing I liked was the CA in response to Makoto's rush, Except after you CA you should instantly dash back at her and 4D for a FC 4D into big damage since she can't RC if she doesn't see you CA and its a free fatal.

Noel mirror too godlike. purple Noel's made of awesome! TB you need some hit confirming practice, it looked like you just kept on going to combos without checking the opponents state (i.e. 5B 5C 3C when the opponent is airborne). I used to sit down for about an hour with CS1 Valk (100/Hell) in training mode and work on various stuff like using normals/no drives, AA'ing, IB'ing, blocking overheads/lows, teching and hit confirming. The CPU was fast and tricky at first but in the end it really did improve my game by a lot. You should really give it a try, it's guaranteed.

Edited by Klazzix

Fighting the computer is a terrible idea if you have live opponents, it would only teach you more bad habits, since the computer(especially on 100 difficulty) isn't gonna bother blocking, Bolt's biggest fault is that he doesn't know when to attack, and how to hit confirm when he finally does. Fighting the CPU with the difficulty that high is only gonna make that worse.

It looks like your giving a lot of respect to your opponent's pressure (sometimes unnecessarily much). This probably goes with what people are saying about hitconfirming and not knowing when to attack.

A slightly better way than just playing against the CPU (since from what I've experienced, the AI does not bother to block pressure are Luna said) is to just go into training mode and turn enemy block to random. Then practice completing your combos when you get a hit, and ending it "safe" if you see a block (ie. hitconfirm practice).

I hate online since I maximize damage all the time (ie 2D 5C 2D 6A 214A 2B 6C 22B 22BBC 66C 22B [66C 22B 66C]/[66A 6C] sjc j.D 6D 6B 5D 5C 236D for 5.3/5.1k) and it never works online due to the timing for the dashes.

That being said. First mistake that didn't cost you but you need to not do - Please do not mash tech. Press it systematically at points where your opponent normally might drop. If you absolutely must mash tech, be sure to actually be watching for your character to tech so that you start to block the moment you tech. The American Reset loves your mash tech. The Japanese reset will Fatal Counter it.

In drive, if you confirm them blocking, use fast drives and drive outs. d.5A d.4D optic barrel works well vs most people. Against wolf man there you might want to do d.5A d.4D d.5A optic/assault through to react to his DD.

This is online. I can not say this enough, but Noel's tic throws are deadly. 5A x N dash 5A throw fucks people over hard. Especially since her throw and her 5A look so similar.

Noel's ground normals are epic now. 5C's hurt box is no longer THE FREAKING EXPLOSION!!!!!! That said. Learn to hit confirm on CH. I saw a CH 5C against a crouching valk that you decided to jump cancel. Dash 5A 5C 3C would work since CH 5C has a fair bit of hit stun, as would j.D 6A 6C Spring raid into corner 6C(2) 5D 6B 5B 5D 5C Bloom trigger. Valk is better than you in the air, so make sure he doesn't like being in the air. Even if a 6A combo only does 1k (which you should hit confirm it for more really) its still going to hurt him if he eats it too often.

Still its online, and I know much of this is significantly harder online due to lag, but these are the main points I can see.

So when are we gonna see some of your gameplay vids Runis?

no one took any vids of me during Shadowloo, and we're waiting on the stupid HDMI recorder to arrive (its been 2-3 months)

But if you want fail noel from CS1, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CcGXH9WF1w.

I do not play like this at all anymore though.

I can't say you were all that bad, but I wont really comment since it's an old vid.

I WILL say however that your eyesight is so fray that I can't believe you can even play video games, because the title of the vid told me I was gonna see a Noel mirror, but the video was Noel Vs Bang :3

Unless there was a Noel mirror later in the vid, I didn't watch much because CS1 Noel vs Bang makes me sad. But if that is the case I take back my previous teasing ;3

Wasn't me who posted the vids, and the poster didn't bother to update it.

Anyway, Tokido vs my friend's ragna. Think of the ghetto stuff Tokido does, make them more ghetto and also frame traps, increase the damage on the drive combos and that's my noel in a nutshell, just less solid on the hit-confirms(I still can't get the 5C/2C rc 66A combo. I think I'm dashing too early, but I normally use my meter for pressure/resets/burst baits rather than damage anyway).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfHgYs8ZYQQ&feature=channel_video_title

Bummer, I really should have gone down to Shadowloo but I was busy with a project. I'm kind of taking a break from BB because my ISP hates netplay and I'm not at liberty to change it where I'm staying. Played a couple of folks online though, good games were had.

Edit: Lmao at 1:12, Tokido trying to 5d outta there and eating a 6c.

Edited by Mizzet

Sign in to follow this