Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dorian

My Little Pony: Fighting Is Magic!

The dream is dead.

Tis a bummer but there are plenty of other great fighters out now to play...

Hopefully Mane6 takes Ms.Faust up on her offer and resurfaces with a new project. :)

Legal matters are tricky, and the less you know, the worse off you are.

Realistically, many fangames can be allowed to develop free from legal obstructions under fair use, on similar ways a song is covered or a parody of made.

On the other hand there are some loop holes to the already touchy relationship, that can be exploited, like putting the hammer for reasons of likeness, names, reused sprites or images and what have you.

Ultimately, it comes down to if you want to spend months fighting it in court with millions of dollars on your head.

Naturally, the answer is no.

Companies should be more like Sega, Capcom or Namco Bandai in that regard, not only do they not care, but they at times actively engage in the projects and the communities thereof.

Companies should be more like Sega, Capcom or Namco Bandai in that regard, not only do they not care, but they at times actively engage in the projects and the communities thereof.

Sega put out a C&D on a Streets if Rage fan game that was 100% completed. Furthermore, the group that made it only did so to GIVE IT to Sega so they could release it and do whatever they want with it, and Sega still shut them down.

I was speaking in part of the many many sonic fangames that are out, many employees talk to the devs and members of the site (sonic retro) and often someone engage directly in the projects.

I was speaking in part of the many many sonic fangames that are out, many employees talk to the devs and members of the site (sonic retro) and often someone engage directly in the projects.

On the subject of Sonic Retro, I'm a member there myself, and there are people (including myself) that have been rom hackers in the past (I was the same person that made Sonic Zeta Overdrive). As someone who has been there for 10 years now, I already know what Sonic Retro is about (I first joined in May 2003 when the site was still Simon Wai's Sonic 2 Beta). lol

Fan games and rom hacks are kinda sorta the same thing, except that rom hacks are modifications of the original game (Say Sonic 1 for example) and they play on emulators; fan games are a whole different story.

I apologize if I go off topic, but I mainly want to share my experience at Sonic Retro from the 10 years I've been there.

I'm not on good terms with the retro fanbase.

Sonic Team and Sega aren't the same group of people. They work together, but they're still different.

Sega owns sonic team, so they call the shots, they pursue legal matters and they monitor sonic retro and support various projects on various ways.

I know what I said.

Sonic Team is Japanese, I don't think they really care what Americans are doing. Sega has an American division for that.

I just found out about the cancellation.

Now i fucking hate hasbro >:/

(Example: the sequel to Faithful Teipig or whatever, Nintendo shut down the artist incredibly fast)

Damn, i didn't know about that.

Now i know why we never got more chapters of it :(

Edit, Btw where did you read about that?

Edit, Btw where did you read about that?

It's been a while, so I may be wrong on this but I'm almost certain the news broke via the artists twitter account.

Sega owns sonic team, so they call the shots, they pursue legal matters and they monitor sonic retro and support various projects on various ways.

Wat.

Sega shut down one of the biggest Streets of Rage fan projects like last year. IIRC they waited till the very end to issue a C&D.

Edit: Derp, that was already said. My bad.

Ontopic though, I think Faust is going to use this opportunity to try to get her Galexy Girls series to become popular.

It's been a while, so I may be wrong on this but I'm almost certain the news broke via the artists twitter account.

I have to wonder what motivated nintendo to take action, since they have not tried to shut down other doujins with similar material from what i know :v:

It's only natural for companies to wait untill the last moment to issue a C&D. I see a lot of people complain about it and mention it as if it made the blow somehow worse, but the way I understand it makes perfect sense to not interfere with anything untill it becomes 100% sure that the project will be completed. Sending C&Ds to any and all projects that MIGHT have a chance of being finished one day would be bad publicity, and ultimately useless as those projects have a tendency to die on their own.

I'm very sad for this getting shut down, I was looking forward to it. Some 4channers have ripped the art assets from the leaked build and are trying to resurect the project by themselves by rebuilding an engine from scratch, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

its to my understanding that they wait until a project has this sort of press or is close to completion because of two reasons a.)It costs money to pay the lawyers to write up the C&D, and b.)lets be honest, most of these fan projects never make it to completion, which means they don't have to actually spend the money to shut the project down- because the project will stop on its own most of the time.

New post on the frontpage.

Contains roughly zero information for anybody that already knew the story. They're saying they're not too hopefull about the result, but not giving up the fight.

But really it's dead RIP in peace

Double post because new information, fuck the police.

http://www.mane6.com/2013/03/m6v2.html#more

TL;DR : Hasbro doesnt want them to use characters from the show - so instead they'll create new characters specifically for the game, with Lauren Faust as character designer.

So, back to the drawing board, but "once more with gusto". To me it is the best possible ending for this project.

Double post because new information, fuck the police.

http://www.mane6.com/2013/03/m6v2.html#more

TL;DR : Hasbro doesnt want them to use characters from the show - so instead they'll create new characters specifically for the game, with Lauren Faust as character designer.

So, back to the drawing board, but "once more with gusto". To me it is the best possible ending for this project.

Wow, dat generosity.

As amazing as that news is, I'm not sure if the game will be nearly as successful. A lot of what I liked about it was how faithfully it recreated the TV characters.

i am saddened at the lack of ponies, because it was looking really good. However an original set made by Lauren Faust could be cool.

Fighting is Magic was like a simplified hybrid of Blazblue and a 1vs1 MVC3. It was really fun to play. I cant wait to see what they come up with for the next one. If they take Mike Z's offer to use the Skullgirls engine i really hope they consider a downloadable console port.

as long as it doesn't turn out exactly like skullgirls, im fine with this :D

as long as it doesn't turn out exactly like skullgirls, im fine with this :D

How exactly would obtaining the SG engine help them? Didn't they already have a fully functioning engine in place?

Insanely smart move by Lab Zero though, they want that brony $$$.