Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuminAbyss

[CSE-CP] The Funny Things I Do With Ragna (A Guide To Tricks and Gimmicks)

I've got a little gimmick. If you do a corner combo, after the ID, don't cross under and do a 5D. Dash cancel, and then continue to run after them. You should cross under for all air teching options (not really sure about ground teching). The problem with this is that it leaves them with an air action, so they can double jump or air dash away from you. This works well against characters with poor air options.

I think a cool thing you could do with that idea is cross-under 6A or 5B. They hit at a good height, and are air-unblockable. Ragna and Makoto are the only characters with aerial DPs, so they would be the only ones you'd probably have to worry about when doing this. Everyone else would either have to respect it and barrier block or get hit for a nice combo.

Test it a little more, and we can add it.

Okay, here's something a little more detailed.

Teching options:

Air backroll - From here, you have the option of crossing them up or staying on the same side. Crossing up and doing 6A forces a block, or a double jump/air dash. Air moves either get anti-aired or whiff during the cross-under.

Air neutral - You can't reaction cross under doing this, but it leaves them at the perfect height for a meaty AUB 6A. Forces barrier block. All other options get hit out of. You can do an IAD DID cross-up after the 6A meaty here if they block for mixup (which is pretty dirty).

Air forward - Try for meaty 5B on the opposite side. 5B is recommended because you might be out of range for a 6A. This is avoided by double jumps and air back dashing.

Hell's fang first part>Inferno Divider afterwards PRESS BUTTONS RECEIVE COUNTERHIT.

Also not safe on block, good for mashers though.

214A DP is far more rewarding actually if you want to go down that shitty rps road-- The previous loses to IB, since it's easy to ib a predictable hellsfang starter.

I always tend to do the throw OS after HF(1). Not many people who are gutsy enough to do the counter for it after HF(1).

I do the same as KayEff, just 1+A+B+C after a Hell's Fang. should they go for a throw, I break it, should they attempt to attack, I'll block it, should they do nothing, I will as well.

I love being gutsy with the Divider sometimes though, though personally I only go for it if i've already conditioned them into thinking I'll do something else. On some characters, I like to continue pressure or mix-up.

Basically, there are a lot of things you can do after a blocked hell's fang. I'll put that one up in a bit.

on players that like to throw after hellsfang alot i just backdash [or try to]

then blow that shitty stuff up. But smart players actually hit buttons after it.

Lumin, for the Back Tech in my gimmick, the 6A isn't meaty; neutral tech 6A however, is.

I fixed it up, sorry about that.

To the Blocked Hell's Fang options, I'll put those up tomorrow, it's 3 AM over here and I'm tired. Sleepy time~

Hey how bout some more funny things.

1. This one is from CS1, but might as well put it here too. After ID>214D heel drop, RC and immediately do BE. The opponent must emergency tech or the BE will pop them up as a blue beat.

If they don't emergency tech, you can continue the combo depending on how much you did before the first ID.

If they do emergency tech, you are at advantage and close during their tech. I will note they can mash 5A/2A to hit you out of 6B here (not like that's uncommon :v:)

Works midscreen and corner, but more practical in corner since it's easier to continue to combo if they don't emergency tech the BE.

2. Another BE trick, similar to 1 but could be more applicable because it costs no meter. Corner: ID236C > dash under 3C > TK BE. Again, if the opponent doesn't emergency tech they get popped up by the BE.

EDIT: after some more testing, these aren't too friendly if done after long combos, the opponent can air tech after being popped up pretty soon. However if they didn't emergency tech (which is why they get launched in the first place) they have to air tech reaaally soon after that happens, so you may still get away with a 5D into something.

3. Cross under stuff, its questionable how practical this is but here are some set ups. They work on everyone but Tager. Also they don't work in the corner obviously.

- 3C > HF(1) > they neutral tech > dash under 2A

- ID>236C>236C in corner > they neutral tech > dash under 2A (they must contact the ground after the wallbounce for this to work)

- (close hit) 2D > they neutral tech > dash under 2A

I'll add those when I finally get home later today, but just one question: Do these BE tricks still work even if you had already use BE once during the combo? I'm only asking since most corner combos include BE, and the whole 10% repeat proration thing is :vbang: So they might be able to tech anyways even if you pick them up with it.

Yeah, that's what I talked about in my edit.

I tested it more and if you already did BE in the combo it lets them tech pretty soon after getting picked up again so it's unlikely you'll get to continue with anything unless they aren't paying much attention. They do tech pretty close to the ground and close to you so it's not a terrible situation, but not great either. So if you're doing it off a full combo, it's better if they do emergency tech. Which I think is more likely anyway, they actually have more than one opportunity to.

If they emergency tech (which you should be training them to do), it leads to a surprising situation if they were waiting for the usual combo enders. You're within throw range so it can be a good throw set up too if they haven't seen it before.

Also here's something else I was messing with, Ragna can actually do fuzzy guard stuff off his j.B and j.C on some characters.

- low as possible blocked j.B/j.C (JC) > immediate j.A

If they crouch after blocking the j.B/j.C, j.A will hit as an overhead on their standing hitbox. Sadly, all you can do to combo after the j.A hits is ID. Simple combos you can do near corner:

j.A > ID(D)236C236C > dash under 2C > 5D(1) > DS > 5C > 5D > HF/ID(D) ~ 2.5k dmg

j.A > ID(D) (RC) > sj.C > j.D (JC) > j.C > BE > 5D(1) > DS > 5C > 5D > ID236C236C > dash under 3C > 22C/HF ~ 3695/3447 dmg

If they blocked you're j.A and you did ID, you can RC and continue pressure. You have to be careful though, if they Barrier blocked the j.B/j.C you could be pushed out too far the ID will whiff.

This works on:

Ragna, Hakumen, Tsubaki, Hazama, Lambda, Tager*, Litchi.

*On Tager you can fuzzy guard with j.C also, easy to get good damage without having to use meter.

An example of where this could be applied is after opting to end a combo with 3C delayed JC.

I was thinking this might be a lot more useful in Extend if his j.C hitbox buff stays. Might make it so we can combo j.A > j.C in this situation.

I think that's just Tager being Tager

If you look closely, Tager in his standing getting-hit-animation. The j.A registered as an overhead, hence the red !. So his standing hitbox is being hit by an overhead. In that case it looks like Ragna landed before performing a dash j.A.

For comparison, look at 1:48 in the video. That's Tager's crouched getting-hit-animation.

Updated the first post with the BE pick-up and Cross under 2A shenanigans. Sorry it took so long, school just started here. I'll upload the fuzzy guard things later, super headache is kicking in.

MASH 5B HARDER! [LuminAbyss] Whenever there is a pause in action push 5B, this works wonders and you end up hitting your opponent out of things you would never imagine!

Posted this for you Lumin, it's one of those things you love to do ;3

MASH 5B HARDER! [LuminAbyss] Whenever there is a pause in action push 5B, this works wonders and you end up hitting your opponent out of things you would never imagine!

Works 75% of the time, 50% of the time.

5B anti air makes me rage.

Usually works against Hakumen trying to airdash in.

BTW, here's a funny thing I do:

If you land a far 5b (which can usually only continue into 5B>5C>HF>follow-up), hitconfirm it into a 5C and then IAD and j.C in such a way that as soon as the airdash ends, Ragna'll be facing the opponent and close to him when he j.Cs. This can serve as a nice reset if it hits which leads to a stronger combo, or if they block it, you'll be close to them so you can apply pressure.

I can't even be mad, this is legit. : D