Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuminAbyss

[CSE-CP] The Funny Things I Do With Ragna (A Guide To Tricks and Gimmicks)

Man, some of this stuff is rather godlike. Wish I'd visited other character threads more often lol.

Cross up j.C from a normal forward jump up close.

You can connect 5A afterwards (5B on Tager) on everyone except:

Jin, Lambda, Litchi, Tao, Noel, Mu

Jump over > air back dash j.B > j.C.

The j.C connects if they switch to crouch block after the j.B on:

Arakune*, Bang, Hakumen*, Tager*, Litchi, Tao, Relius

* Best on these characters since j.C still connects if they continue stand blocking.

22C > dash j.A fuzzy guard set up.

j.A hits standing hitbox for crouch attempt on:

Ragna, Hazama, Tager, Relius

Could be good to mix up with [22C > dash 3C > 22C~whatever] OS since fuzzy only works if they tech 22C and block low immediately.

On that note, the 22C > dash 3C > 22C~whatever OS, you must delay the 22C on:

Jin, Arakune, Tager, Tao

22C whiffs if done immediately after 3C when not at point blank range on these characters.

normal jump high j.C (blocked) > j.D (blocked) (RC) > airdash j.C >j.D etc.

Better in Extend due to lower j.C hitbox.

low as possible blocked j.B/j.C > land j.A fuzzy guard set up revisited.

j.A hits standing hitbox for crouch attempt on:

Ragna, Hakumen, Tsubaki, Hazama, Lambda, Tager, Relius, Valk

I wanted to see if far hit HF(1) > 2A to reset pressure was worth using on any characters. Ragna is at +1 frame advantage, and it's been there since CT, finally looked at what each character can do in that situation though and found there's zero risk of using it on Valk and Litchi(no staff), unless they have 50 heat. It's risky on others, but they can only hurt you with a risky option themselves. And on some it's just a bad idea. This is what each character can do without 50 heat to get out of the situation, other than just blocking:

Ragna: DP, back jump

Jin: DP, back jump

Rachel: 5A trade, 2C, back jump, back dash

Carl: 5A/2A trade, back jump, back dash

Arakune: 5A trade, back jump, back dash

Bang: 5A trade, drives, back jump, back dash

Hakumen: counters, back jump

Tsubaki: 5A trade, DP, back jump

Hazama: 2A trade, back jump

Lambda: 5A trade, back jump

Tager: 360A, back dash

Litchi: DP(with staff), back jump

Taokaka: 2A/5B trade, back jump, back dash

Noel: 5A, 2A trade, drives, back jump

Mu: DP, back jump

Relius: dodge, back jump, back dash

Makoto: 2A trade, DP, back jump

Platinum: 5A trade, 5D(bat), back jump, back dash

Valkenhayn: back jump

So what it looks like to me is, it's good on Valk and Litchi(no staff). Risky on Ragna, Jin, Hakumen, Mu, Relius. Bad idea on everyone else.

And a throw bait option that's better in Extend, instant neutral CH j.C > delay j.D > combo.

Instant neutral j.C CH's all throw whiffs except Jin and Bang's.

Obviously it's bad if they don't throw and crouch the j.C.

As far as throw baiting goes, I like using TK GH more. And while yeah, it's -9, it's still hard to punish Ragna for without instant blocking (due to the weird hitstop it has). And there's a universal 2A link that allows you to confirm into 3.5k-4k easy. Both do make for good throw baiting.

Yeah TK GH is by far the most damaging punish, you get CH if they tried to throw so you can link 5B/5C. Unfortunately, when you're in throw range it whiffs if they crouch block outside of the corner. So does instant j.C though, only thing that has going for it is it's safe if they stand block. I meant better in Extend than previous versions, not really better than other throw punishing options. TK BE is still the the safest but in turn you get much less reward.

2c > 6b > 2c (whiff)

You're welcome.

??

Online matches..ugh. I hate when I airtech and immediately something afterwards hits me because of the whiffed j.A or whenever move comes out when trying to mash to tech.

That made me wonder...

How effective auto-tech traps would be... Happens sometimes, although not on purpose seemingly, on japanese matches.

It is possible to create specific combos to force this. 5D works quite well for that I think, when auto-tech occurs during the first hit and the second is on their face.

Thing is, the first hit is air-unblockable, but the second hit isn't, as far as I know. It would work better if we could somehow force air tech before the first hit connects,

Just now realizing another cross-under 2A situation that could be useful occasionally.

normal hit GH(1) > they neutral tech > dash cross-under 2A

Would be best outside corner when you don't have meter to RC or don't hit confirm the GH. If the reset is successful you can get a lot more damage off than a normal GH midscreen combo.

And something funny I just learned, apparently you can use 2D to cross under. Obviously a bad idea cuz it leaves you at heavy disadvantage but I thought it looked pretty weird.

Hey guys, here are some combos that allow for the rapid > 2A > green throw trick:

From KayEff:

(corner) 5B > 3C > 623D(2) >> 236C >> 236C > CU 5C > 5D(1) > 214D > 5C > 6A > hjc j.D > jc j.D > j.214C > dash 5D > 214D > 5D > 22C > RC > dash 2A > 5B+C

Mine are less practical than the one above because of the requirements, but it's still worth knowing I guess:

22C Dash 5A cast:

Corner: FC 2C > 2D > 22C > dash 5A > 5C > 6C > 6D > jump cancel > j.C > Belial edge > 6B > 5C > 5D(1) > DS > delay 2C > 5C > 5D(2) > 623D(2) > upper > straight punch > cross under 3C > 22C > rapid cancel > dash 2A > throw

Non 22C Dash 5A cast:

(Note: This combo needs to be started with a minimum of 51 heat to enable you to have 50 heat before the rapid into green throw)

Corner: FC 2C > 2D > 22C > rapid > 6D > delay j.D > 5D(1) > DS > delay 5C > hjc j.C > j.D > jump cancel > j.C > j.D > Belial edge > 6B > 5C > 5D(1) > DS > *delay 2C > 5C* > 5D(2) > 623D(2) > upper > straight punch > cross under 3C > 22C > rapid cancel > dash 2A > throw

* - This combo doesn't work on Valkenhayn, Carl and Arakune because the 5C after the 2C whiffs.

I had the damage + heat gain of the combos but I lost it somewhere and I can't access my ps3 right now so I'll get back to you guys on that later. You are better of going for KayEff's combo in the corner if you want a green throw set up, as mine have too many requirements..especially on the non-dash 5A cast.

Will post more green throw set ups If I stumble across some in training mode :3

Excuse the double post.

Combo > 3C > 22C > rapid > 3C > 22C > rapid > dash 2A/5A > throw

This also gets you a green throw. Obviously it uses 100 heat. I think this is a pretty good set up, because after the second 22C, the opponent may be trying to mash to get out of stagger, so you may even get a green throw counter.

Gotta make use of the 22C repeat proration. :3

Hell, any combo works into green throw with 2 22C's..even this works into green throw:

3C > 22C > rapid > 3C > 22C > rapid > dash 5A\2A > green throw.

Even though the combo Is short, it still works. Who said proration was a bad thing?

NOTE: on the 22C Dash 5A cast, only 50 heat is needed...do the maths.

Dunno if this would be considered a trick but..

2C into 6C on block

now I know what your thinking, unsafe as hell, true but sometimes it can be hilarious from what I've seen.

Mostly taking advantage of the dash cancel from the first hit can lead to..

5A or 2A to continue pressure

throw for lolz

or my fave jump, mixed results but usually they will try and grab you or DP but sometimes jumping right after the end of the dash cancel will have them whiff a throw so you can land and throw them or falling j.c is always nice lol

don't even bother if it is IBed but since you are using the second hit your opponent may not see it coming :3

6C dash cancelled I think is actually -4. Meaning it's safe to block unless they instant block.

It's a level 4 move, meaning it provides 18 frames of blockstun. Dash cancel is 22, last time I checked, unless they made it faster. So 18 - 22 = -4.

This one is old as balls, but guess it wouldn't hurt adding it. To everything else that's posted, I'll add these all soon, I promise.

Its worked for me pretty well in a few games, tested it too it worked pretty well other than again DPs and IB makes the window of chance smaller of course

but other than that its reasonablely legit like something you use 1 in 3 matches lol

So long as you remain unpredictable and let the opponent know you have other options, anything can be good. Of course, some options are better than others, but making use of all of them is what makes a good player.

Just to add to the 2A/5A green throw trick:

If you have conditioned your opponent enough to throw back after your 2A/5A, or you are playing a high level player that expects it, just do 2A, 2C instead of a green throw, to catch a fatal.

Something I notice is that, if by the end of a match you've got 100 heat and you just need that one last good combo to finish them off, it's usually very beneficial to just go Blood Kain and go straight into Devoured by Darkness. Reason being, you'd be very surprised to find how little players actually know you can throw Ragna out of DbD, and who instead opt to barrier block (not knowing its unblockable properties), immediately attempt to dash away (which, depending on the situation, they might not be able to do - my favorite times are in the corner or during their pressure), or instead, having expecting you to throw out a BK combo, tried a DP (in which you'll almost always win out). Along with the nice (usually finishing if you gauge your opponent's health correctly prior to attempting) 4.4k damage you get out of it, it also nicely finishes off players who are holding their bursts for that one last combo of yours.

To maybe add to Lumin's meaty dead spike trick:

Whiffing a 5A and then using Deadspike will pretty much assure you will get the meaty, about the time it takes to whiff the 5A is as long as it will take roughly for your opponent to tech

Its worked for me a few times

throwing this in when the CP update for this thread happens

Grounded Hell's fang shenanigans

This is more a midscreen thing but I felt it might be worth noting, thanks to the buffs to the untechable time on hit of the first hit of hells fang this could open up some funky reset options instead of using tsuika you could...

>Grab reset

>Jump j.C

>Jump over j.B

>2B

As I said its not perfect and its more a midscreen option (because why would you omit Tsuika in the corner?) its more a kinda of lol tactic to get essentially a free mixup

other notes:

If your opponent has seen something like this before they may try and grab you out of it, if you predict this and jump after you get a free CH j.C

Be cautious of AAs obviously

Kind of in the same vein, last night due to dropping combos I ended up hitting a funky reset a few times where I hit a croucher with 5B 5C 6C, went to HF but did it too early and it whiffed, it crossed underneath them and I hit 2A or 6B into a new combo, it was so bad but worked several times lol