Sign in to follow this  
rtl42

Video Recording and Movie Making Discussion

oh, thx for the error message. google gave me these:

http://forums.streamsolutions.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3612

http://www.skibumsplace.com/IPB/index.php?showtopic=1017&st=20 sorta helps, it's a bit more specific

http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Media/microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder/2005-12/msg00065.html

sorry but you may be out of luck :( before giving up, try updating your drivers and see if it works.

oh, thx for the error message. google gave me these:

http://forums.streamsolutions.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3612

http://www.skibumsplace.com/IPB/index.php?showtopic=1017&st=20 sorta helps, it's a bit more specific

http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/Media/microsoft.public.windowsmedia.encoder/2005-12/msg00065.html

sorry but you may be out of luck :( before giving up, try updating your drivers and see if it works.

I tried the updating the drivers, still doesnt work, but whatever. Many thanks, at least i can get vids up now.

^nice. we should try to play today, i texted chaz but no response yet. tomorrow is good too since there is no school =D. Also about the encoding, try Sony vegas also. Sp00ky messes with that i think and it works fine.

Anyone tried Dazzle Platinum?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Customer-reviews-for-Pinnacle-Dazzle-DVD-Video-Creator-Platinum/sem/rpsm/oid/151064/callingModule/9/pageno/4/sortby/1/order/D/rpem/ccd/ExpandedModule.do#custRatings

I watched few reviews/tutorials on youtube and so far, it seems to work great. Easy to carry around in case you go out of town to record matches on your lab-top...I just want to hear experienced opinions on this one with GG.

(also, does this allow you to play GG on PC monitor? I saw the preview screen on youtube tutorials but I don't know if I can make that any bigger)

I'm surprised no one even notices the Pinnacle Video Transfer.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/PinnacleLife/PinnaclePVT

Pros:

- Hardware encoding

- No PC/laptop required, record direct to USB drive

- Small and easy to carry around

- works with any device that outputs

Cons:

- records using what appears to be proprietary Apple Quicktime format, can't edit it with my normal VDub (open source proggy)

- it's a dumb device. You can't choose what codec you want to record in. Or change any of the default recording settings, including bitrate, resolution, and interlacing.

- no widescreen resolution (but for our GG purposes, irrelevant)

So if you're willing to bear with having to buy their software to encode (VideoSpin its called), it's not a bad choice. I think there should be another way to encode using other non-proprietary tools but I haven't had the time to check yet.

Can anybody with a capture device tell me what they use, and how well it works?

I use the one-touch capture device you mentioned. Its USB based, comes with both installation and movie editing program, cheap (forty bucks as opposed to dazzles ninety and up) has good quality (I haven't even fiddled with the video settings yet). Also supports S-Cable and regular video input. You can see my youtube account in my sig for examples.

The downside would be that, like many other capture devices, you would have to feed the console hookup directly into the device to capture stuff, meaning you wouldn't able to play on your television and record on the comp. at the same time unless you split the signal, restricting me to games that allow you to save replay data. But a distribution device and y-splitters are only costing me around 20 bucks over at Amazon, so it is not too bad.

The downside would be that, like many other capture devices, you would have to feed the console hookup directly into the device to capture stuff, meaning you wouldn't able to play on your television and record on the comp. at the same time unless you split the signal, restricting me to games that allow you to save replay data. But a distribution device and y-splitters are only costing me around 20 bucks over at Amazon, so it is not too bad.

Uh, I have not yet seen a TV that does not have video-out ports. Try looking behind your TV. I use a really crap China brand TV from 5+ years ago and it already has video-out ports. Two sets in fact (though that only means you get to see three sets of crap output).

I need someone to sponsor me a new TV. Thankyouverymuch, :keke:

I don't know if you guys realise this yet, but there is a fairly big difference between a software encoder and a hardware one. Software encoders require a computer to do the processing. And if your computer is not fast enough, you suffer issues. On the other hand, you get a lot of flexibility in choosing encoding settings. Hardware encoders, reasonably cheap ones like the Pinnacle VT I'm using, may not be able to change their settings, but they work fine for GG purposes. Just plug in a thumb drive/iPod/USB harddisk and away you go. They also do not suffer from desynch/dropped frames issues. Seeing the prices of some of these USB devices listed here, I can tell that they are software encoders. These USB boxes merely act as a converter from TV signals to USB. You still need to fiddle with recording software to start recording. I used to do that, but I was never happy with the inconsistency of the framerate, and the audio synch. Using a Core2Duo 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8500GT, it still drops frames, lags, audio desynchs. I got sick of it. I'm not going to upgrade my PC just to video record. After finding the Pinnacle VT, I never looked back.

Uh, I have not yet seen a TV that does not have video-out ports. Try looking behind your TV. I use a really crap China brand TV from 5+ years ago and it already has video-out ports. Two sets in fact (though that only means you get to see three sets of crap output).

I need someone to sponsor me a new TV. Thankyouverymuch, :keke:

I have my old television from 2001. The only thing it has in the back is input for cable.

Whoa, that bites. Still, it isn't exactly the fault of the capture device that you can't record and play at the same time is it? Try getting a 2nd hand one, being able to play and record is worth it.

what should i use for capturing video off of the PC #R?

fraps works like crap whenever someone bursts, so yeah...

if you can tell me how to make fraps work better or if there's another program...help would be appreciated

I second this. Fraps is pretty nice, but is there any better before I commit to buying one? Or is there a better, possibly free verison of a PC capture? :I:

So I have this video camera and I have a video capture card and it's all plugged in. I have these drivers for the card but I don't know how to directly record it and can't find a driver for the camera itself. What do I do? I want to get stuff posted up from SBIII.

*peeks in* Anyone have any trouble with windows vista 64 bit ultimate? I finally got a new cpu so I was going to upload all those videos I made a couple years ago that I didnt get a chance to. But I cant get anything to work with this dazzle thing I have. I dled all the 64 bit drivers and everything. WMM, Vdub nothing works.... Anyone else have this problem?

I got a similiar product off amazon.com for 15$ it works like a charm. I record to VHS via VCR and than use that device to transfer the video to computer. I would check amazon first, 60 bucks seems like way too much.

I'm thinking about getting Dazzle Video when I get my TV for my room next semester, so I can finally start making vids. How does the process work in the first place?

What program and format should I use when I want to convert raw AVI into something small but still keep it a good quality?

I'm thinking about getting Dazzle Video when I get my TV for my room next semester, so I can finally start making vids. How does the process work in the first place?

I actually got myself one of those...well Dazzle Plus or whatever it is called. Works nicely. Just make sure that your tv has an RCA input (yellow, white, red plug) and an outputs. The input is for the game system and the output is for the dazzle's RCA cable (meaning u need another red white yellow cable) which connects from the output to the dazzle video capturing device which then connects to the usb of your comp. The one i got came with the pinnacle software which is where u can record the vids and whatnot. You can check out my youtube page for vids that i recorded using the dazzle capturing device.

BTW, if you don't have an output from your tv, you can always use a vcr or something that will allow you to reroute everything, but that's so complicated.

I got some uncompressed HD vids that I want to compress and ul to youtube but don't want to lose resolution or anything. I was going to be using AE to add in some watermarks and such. Anyone got any ideas on what to do? -Tha Hindu

I second this. Fraps is pretty nice, but is there any better before I commit to buying one? Or is there a better, possibly free verison of a PC capture? :I:

Just change the FPS in the game's configuration to 30 instead of 60. Have Fraps record at 30 also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGfb1L-yVoc

Works even when I am playing. ;)

Thanks Rinse-n-Repeat. So, I need a TV with two inputs, or does output look different?

Well Arvoyea, I think actually all you need on your tv is one input for your game system (eg: ps2, xbox) and one output, to connect from your tv to the dazzle video capturing device. Oh, if you're asking about whether having two inputs is different from having one input and one output, i think it is cuz the output is so the video/audio gets transferred to your comp, if you had two inputs then you'll be basically sending your comp screen to the tv (which doesnt work with dazzle cuz i tried xD) and the game to your tv. Although im sure if you have multiple sets on your tv, then chances are one is for input and the other is for output, most tv's like that have one input and a bunch of outputs.

Ok, I'm still confused. So, I just need to get a tv with inputs and outputs and hope I'm doing it right?

Basically yeah. You just need to kinda have it in front of you to understand what im talking bout. But it seems you basically have it. Just plug your system to the inputs of your tv. Connect the dazzle to your comp and then connect that to your output on the tv and thats it.

Sign in to follow this