Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WUT

The Awesomeness that is 3S

Thats a very good point, holding a direction will miss up 3s cancels. After some more practice, I have a way of getting 5s3s5s and 5h3s5s more often, i press the 5s/5h and immediately press 3s then i wait for the inital normal( 5s or 5h) to change in 3s. I think my problem before was pressing to fast. By buffering the 3s, it will u give me more time since you are basically waiting for the cancel point, hope that helps at all. My precentage of 3s cancels are going up, now to try in casuals lol.

Ya, i remember reading in a old thread that it was kara cancel fast, but it isn't, so that screwed me up. Back on topic, are there any practical uses for 3s? Fishing for 3s autoguard is lame, and i have never even seen a non cancled 3s in a match. But watching some videos, do u guys think a 5S 5HS 5S 5HS punish is worth doing whenever you get the opportunity? I also see some anji's do 5HS 5HS in block strings to change it up a little. Any other applications?

yeah tons of applications, so many that I don't feel like explaining them all lol 2S 3Sc 5S is godly for both combo and pressure potential also combos like with 5S 3Sc 5S On instead of KS On do more dmg 5S5H 3Sc 5S5H obviously does extra if you are confident you won't mess up the 3Sc go for it

Some small updates with 3sc: For the past few months I have been watering down the 3sc stuff intensely. Well, apologize for my ignorance from previous post about how this is not a useful strat, it's pretty much how Anji should be played really anymore. Not just because of the higher combos/ or damage but for the practical uses during his strings/pressure and for really safe high low games. But the most interesting thing about his 3sc is the fact that there is really no reason to interrupt your basic ground string at all without putting you at much/any disadvantage. A good example is not having to use 2D as your string ender unless it's actually guaranteed when you see the last couple/few gattling connect. (really, really basic example but opponent still blocking...) Throw > butterfly > run in > 2p > 2k > while butterfly hits > 5k > 5s > 5HS > 2D > butterfly... This string will actually push you slightly too far from your opponent and chances of them BD are much easier for them and harder to punish the BD as well. One of the reason is because the block stun from 2D is not that great and pushes you further away. Also the reason why opponents can escape corner set ups just by jumping etc. *indicating where strings change from above. Throw > butterfly > run in > 2p > 2k > while butterfly hits > *5s > 2s > 3sc > 5s > 2s > butterfly... *5s > 2s > 3sc > 5s > 6p > butterfly... *2s > 3sc > 5s > 2s > butterfly... Now from here you get the picture and are more of just base set of strings. Also there are several ways to apply this of course and with more creativity it can make your pressure more rewarding in the long run. Also the reason for the 2s in strings toward the end is because it's much more meaty and will keep your opponents even closer. Should be enough space to keep safe in most cases and catch BD's. Now it's important to really utilize these tools at all is to get comfortable with using the 3sc without dropping them as much as possible or extremely minimal. But prefer you can use it at all times rather than missing them. So it will take time to get used to but it's very 2nd nature within practice. Very small note is there are 2 different timing for these 3sc, early and late. When done early they will string but minimal delay will not combo and can get you thrown possibly or poked out. But CH state is very high also. Quick FB gauranteed combo with 3sc. (Basic example): Knockdown or throw > FB butterfly > run in >* *indicates when strings options... If they are in crouch state only... 5s > 2s > red stun > 3sc > 5s > 6p > 5s > 2s (opt out If too far from actually connecting) >5HS > HS fujin > etc, etc. If standing only.... 5s > 2s > red stun > 3sc > 5s > 3sc > 5s > 2s (opt out if are too close ) > 5HS > HS fujin > etc , etc. I have more uses for these 3sc but can't really get into that stuff right now since I am quite busy .Will update some info here soon with some useful apps of the 3sc/combos/block string into cross ups..etc. I mentioned before in some previous thread about that waaay back and apologize but after FRXI will do so immediately. If anyone from here is heading there I will be more than willing to share/ demonstrate during the weekend. I just have been quite busy with my job and several competition (art related) lately. So If you guys do get there please say hello and would like to meet any of you. Cheers and happy hunting! -Kenji

Very cool, hope it helps out in some ways. I was meaning to post stuff but I am always busy at my office,..like now actually. But I will update some more stuff like character match up related stuff and also I can share stuff with you this weekend! Safe trip to you friend and everyone from Bama, cheers! -Kenji

If standing only....

5s > 2s > red stun > 3sc > 5s > 3sc > 5s > 2s (opt out if are too close ) > 5HS > HS fujin > etc , etc.

Is that a typo? I thought 2S > 5H only combo'd on crouching or counterhit.

Why not just 2s > red butterfly hits/3scancel > 5s > 5hs > 2d > S fuujin, D rin followup etc? is it that much less damage? Pretty positive that has to be crouching to combo 2s 5hs

:) Well, im not a Anji, but i can use him solidly:keke: . Anyway I want to try and help if i can so gonna post somethings that may be usefull. I play with almost every character except for ABA, Eddie, Order Sol, Zappa and Robo Ky. Im really good at the technical stuff still I suck at actual matches, sometimes hehehe:cool: . Im an Axl and Pot player, so if any question just ask. so where do i start... ah, 3S cancels hehehe S about 3S cancels, i think they should be learned. I accidentally got that when trying to JI a fujin, but didnt figured out how to pull it, so recently i checked and found out how and by now 8 out of 10 times i get them to work and I think its cause of how i do it. Anyway, i think its very important to learn it cause it makes anji a better character. But whatever heres how. actually various ways, but the first option is the one i use. Hit cancel. ok so what u do is first learn the timing alone for the 3S to cancel. its something like a faster gatling. Tap 3S tap S or HS. Its easy once u get it. Now, learn the exact point where u can cancel the normals into 3S, the hit point. At that point simply tap 3S tap S or HS as if u did it alone. See, its super easy. Even easier with 5S or 5H, cause they can be late canceled after the hit point. Theres other ways to get the timing. like drumming a button before the cancel to get the timing right. for example u can do 2S,3S,8,5S or u can if u use shorcuts, 2S,3S, RC shorcut and the 5S should come out. smashing the buttons doesnt works so don try it. Is a tap, if u play games like SNKs or SF3 that stuff should be easier. 5S and 5HS are the easiest to get, but 2S is the one that really matters:yaaay: . anys here some stuff using 3s cancels I been pulling out. .Basic combo. 5K,5S,3Sc,5S,5H... good stuff cause the 5S can be easily confirmed if the character was hit crouched into 2S or 6S, with the extra 5S is easier. So if u hit crouching go for 2S or 6S,5HS... its worth some points of extra damage if not crouched, so its good. .Real Fujin S Loops. instead of 5K, 6S go for 5S,3Sc,5S fujin and repeat. finish with 5S,JI,3Sc,5S, Follow up combo(ill point some out later on). Fujin Loops go up by 40pdmg easily. Usefull if opponent bounces towards the wall or out of it. After 5S,JI,3Sc,5S, SJ into combo its easier cause of height and 5S hit stun. plus pulls out mor tension gain:yaaay: .The Low Combo. 2S,3Sc,5S,5HS... or 2S,3Sc,5S,3Sc,5S,5HS... a real combo from a low. Now hes complete. So I find 3Sc vital for Anji. Its also useful in block strings and stuff. 5HS,3Sc,5HS is really good too. But anyway, if someones need it better explained just ask.

:) So heres some stuff for u, if interested. :yaaay: Dust Combo. Cause he needed one, hehe. 5D,jD,jD,jS,jD,jS,jD,dj,jK or jS,jD. What should be called his basic dust combo. It hit from a little less than mid stage to corner. 2nd jS,jD most hit as late and low as possible so that the jD hit below the oponent and then time the jump to jK,jD as exactly when u recover from the jD. Also do the jK as soon as u tap 9 for it to hit. u can change the 2nd jS for a jK, its easier to pull out but still needs to be followed up as with the jS. With jS option, it deals 153 damage on Test, however i havent tried it on everyone... u do that, but i bet for it hitting everyone. Another one would be 5D,jD,jD,jS,jD,jK,jS,jc,jS,jD. As the others, from mid stage to corner. Combo jK,jS etc as soon as u recover from the 3rd jD, it deals 144pdmg on Test, i think it hits everyone. :eng101: other. Well its not a combo exactly. But I havent seen much people take advantage of crouching hits.5S can be late canceled and confirmed. So if u see that the oponent was crouched, go for things like 5S,6P,5S,5SH or others. If crouched 5S comboes into 6P. 6S into 5HS. 2S into 5H. Use them. Basic air combo. 5S,JI,5S,sj,jS,jP,jS,jc,jK,jS,jD. Wont work in corners against some characters. Basic air combo for corner from 5S,5S or others sjc,jK,jS,jD, 214P,jK. as soon recover from orb. jS instead of jK is possible but harder, if hit follow with jc,jS. Good combo for some tech throws options. After last jK, hit the ground and jump to throw, or if jS instead, late cancel it into d jump and then throw. ;) Oh and something usefull on double butterflies and re butterflies. If u dont want to get a wiffed p or dust if u miss double butterflie use negative edge. Leave P or D pressed down after the first butterflie, then when it hits do 236 and release the button, that way no wiff comes out. It works with some other special so try that out. An example, dashing into Dolphins.;) Well, on re butterflies. Use Strings with gaps between them so that they dont combo, if its guard tension ur looking for. If u hit the opponent he can guard if so. A good string... Throw, bflie, dash,(on block stun from bflie)2S,(not comboed from 2S)Falcon hits,dash,(not comboed from Falcon)close 5S,6P,2S,5H,bflie, dash briefly,spj forward,jD(to stop opponent if he tries air dashing out and eliminates his option to go SD or GV under Bflie and hit u),Air dash,jHS,5S,3P or 2S into follow up combos from each one if hit.After jH, his guard should be flashing so if 3p or 2s hit, u can combo some painful stuff. I dont recommend Orb in string like this cause u can pull out a combo out of 3P CH, plus its safe if blocked which Orb is not, unless RC. So i hope u get the idea,basically u get cheap hits and CH and guard tension out of doing so. Another thing, try to consider tension gain in ur combos. For example Fujin loops dont deal a considerable amount of damage compared to other options, but u gain a lot of tension with them. Also on some u can go for a FRC, RC, or FB cause u end up gaining the bar back or u can gain enough for them during the combo. For example with 25% from mid stage u can, 5K,5S,5H, Fujin H-K,5K,5S,sjc,jK,jS,jD,Orb(50% by now exactly when the orb hits),RC,ON(air command throw), etc. Its technically a combo that cost 25% tension, cause the other 25% is gained during the combo.Another one without bar. in corner 214P,5S,fujin S-K,5S,3Sc,5S(or simply 5K,5S),fujin S-D(Fujin S fills the bar to 25%),etc. And well thats all i can remember now, im feeling sleepy so im out:gonk: if anyone has question, u know, just ask:keke:

Ok,I've just recently messed around with 3S cancels.I can hit the timing consistently if I start it off with 5S--->3Sc--->5S (and keep going until they're out of range) but somehow,when I put it into a string,the timing somehow gets a little different (a little slower than usual).Does anyone else have this problem?

It depends on what you mean by "put it into strings". Try watching the hit stop and waiting for it to end. You don't want to be inputting 3S buffered. Otherwise the timing is going to include the remaining hit stop frames. This is also going to change the timing in guard strings, as will (I believe) whether they block, IB, FD, or SB. I personally have the most trouble with getting 2S, 3Swc, 5S to actually combo. The timing and spacing seem to be tighter.

Thats the best way, but learn to cancel at the hit point, cause u just tap 3s and tap s or hs. yeah buffered is the hardest way to do it but it does work. Oh and about blocking messing it, it doesnt. Practice with 5S till you can pull it effectively then go for 2S, its not really that hard if u do it like i said. Use the rc shorcut way. U wont get a rc if u do 5S,3S tap RC SHORCUT, etc. And yeah spacing messes up 2S, but u can use it and combo from a 2p hit from close distance. But that is "The Cancel", so practice

I was thinking, wouldn't this be really good for high-damaging, 0 tension KD combos, at the start of the round? ex. 5S > 3s> 5S 2S > 3S > 5S 5H > 3S > 5H > 236H-H? You would probably get much more then standard K S H 236H-H. V:

I don't think 5H>5H combos. And the knockback is too great to have that many strings in there. 5S > 5H - 5S > 5H - BnB is most damaging as far as I know with 3S canceling.

5S 5HS 3S 5S 5HS is the most damaging combo.However,it requires you to be coming out of a dash so you can actually hit the 2nd 5S or else the 5HS would push them too far back(On a side note,I don't think you can even 5S into 2S after 3S canceling a 5HS,they're just pushed back way too far). So a standard 5S 3S 5S 3S 5S 5HS is probably the next best option.2S 3S 5S is mainly for mixup into higher damage combos(for people you can't do 2S 2D S fuujin into FB Rin) and a pressure string.

5S 5HS 3S 5S 5HS is the most damaging combo.However,it requires you to be coming out of a dash so you can actually hit the 2nd 5S or else the 5HS would push them too far back(On a side note,I don't think you can even 5S into 2S after 3S canceling a 5HS,they're just pushed back way too far).

So a standard 5S 3S 5S 3S 5S 5HS is probably the next best option.2S 3S 5S is mainly for mixup into higher damage combos(for people you can't do 2S 2D S fuujin into FB Rin) and a pressure string.

I think u can combo that with dash momentum in the corner, but the 5s,5h,5s,5h bnb is really the best option. If u get him crouched 5s,5h,5s,2s,5h etc. And, has anyone tried with other moves. How do u know 3s just cancels into 5s or 5h?

In fact S > HS > 3S > S > 2S > HS does slightly more damage than plain S > HS > 3S > S > HS and in theory should work every time because HS will get them crouching anyway. But it sometimes misses on some characters. Also due to added knockback it's often not really reliable after shitsu mixups. This is still a very good option to keep in mind if you are facing the right characters and if you use it in the good situation.

5S,5H,3Swc,5S,<insert>,5H,236H-D,236H,K,S,On Although it is possible on wider chars, I think if you finish the combo inserting 2S or 6P is gains you nothing. I remember running through variations with 6P and getting the same total damage, I'll go back and check 2S next time I'm in training. 5H,3Swc,5H will connect on counterhit. So you could use it if you're zoning with 5H or for things like backdashing and punishing command throws. Edit: The main thing I set out to learn was Shitsu,dash,3P(hits),dash,S,H,wc,S,H. I would set training dummy to "standing" and "guard first." That way 3P connects, but they weren't crouching like they'll usually be in real matches, so it tightens up the timing on you to combo with 5S. Wide chars like Ky make it easier to connect, then moved on to Millia and just using it in matches.

I went back and double checked my assertion: 5S,5H,3Swc,5S,5H,236H-D,236H,K,S,On (225 dmg on Ky) 5S,5H,3Swc,5S,6P,5H,236H-D,236H,K,S,On (225 dmg on Ky) 5S,5H,3Swc,5S,2S,5H,236H-D,236H,K,S,On (227 dmg on Ky) So, it really isn't worth it. You end up making things a lot harder for 2 points of damage. Trying it with shitsu oki, I can't get the ...,2S,5H to connect at all. Eg: Shitsu,dash,2K,dash(alot),falling hits,5S,5H,3Swc,5S,2S,5H-whiffs Inserting 6P will connect, but again there's nothing gained from it.

Well,I guess you'll get "style" points(as if 3S cancels aren't already enough).But really gain nothing in the end on terms of damage.It's just for those who like to show off to the next level or something.

So I decided to get some hard numbers on some 3S whiff cancel combos.

All done on Ky finished with 236H-D,236H,K,S,On

K,2S,wc,S,H,...		191
K,S,wc,S,H,...		191
K,S,H,...		192
K,S,2S,wc,S,H,...	196 (really hard)
K,S,H,wc,S,H,...	205

S,H,...			205
2S,wc,S,H,...		206
S,2S,wc,S,H,...		210
S,H,wc,S,H,...		225
S,H,wc,S,2S,H,...	227

3S,wc,S,H,...		213

H,wc,S,2S,H,...		223
H,wc,S,H,...		224

I went back and double checked my assertion:

5S,5H,3Swc,5S,5H,236H-D,236H,K,S,On (225 dmg on Ky)

5S,5H,3Swc,5S,6P,5H,236H-D,236H,K,S,On (225 dmg on Ky)

5S,5H,3Swc,5S,2S,5H,236H-D,236H,K,S,On (227 dmg on Ky)

So, it really isn't worth it. You end up making things a lot harder for 2 points of damage.

Trying it with shitsu oki, I can't get the ...,2S,5H to connect at all.

Eg: Shitsu,dash,2K,dash(alot),falling hits,5S,5H,3Swc,5S,2S,5H-whiffs

Inserting 6P will connect, but again there's nothing gained from it.

... tension?