Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

h1gz

Need help with Ky oki

Been messing around with Ky lately, but I'm having trouble landing things. Getting the occasional knockdown isn't too hard to get, but after that what do I do? The people I play with usually block all of my mix ups and I've run out of ideas. Let me just list the mix ups I do and plz tell me if you have any suggestions! 1. (close) 2D, delay jump meaty j.s, land 5k, 5h, 236k or 2d (VT if close enough, char dependent) 2. (close) 2D, delay jump, 214D, throw 3. (close) 2D, delay jump, meaty j.s, jc j.s, j.h (only works if they block high. If no fuzzy guarding no work) 4. (close) 2d, delay jump, land 5k knockdown combo 5. (close) 2D, jump over j.k, IAD cross up j.s, 2D 6. (close) 2D, jump over j.k, IAD into them while getting up j.s, land into knockdown 7. (close) 2D, jump over j.k, land 5k into knockdown In case I get a 2 hit 236k or a far 2D I usually just jump in and try either #1, #3, or #4. I know that I have a little trouble timing the auto cross up guarding frames, but even when I know for a fact that I waited long enough they just block anyway. Also faust ducking messes up half of these wake ups because I am teh sux. I tried after a 2D, jump j.d, j.s or j.k but this has a really bad tendency to get backdashed. Any suggestions?

TK ACSE, you're not even using it. :vbang:

j.D shenanigans (ie. forward jump j.D(you're behind them now)>JC back in front of them>land>combo.

Actually I forgot to list a lot of things that I do, and tk cse was one of them, along with throwing out 5D mix ups during a normal cse, and just 2d, delay jump air dash into them while they're getting up instead of jumping over.

I haven't tried the jc 7 before, so I'll try that, but I have a feeling that it's going to get stuffed a lot. Some of the guys I play with go to Evo for 3S and have stupid good reflexes (Lev is one of them), so I'm not sure how often it will work. Thx for input though!

When you're saying IAD crossup in those setups are you saying like you j.k over them and air dash back? You want that mixup to look like the same setup every time: running jump, air dash back, j.S, land. Don't do simple jump over low hit, that's too telegraphed. Do the airdash back then land and A) block and bait a reversal attempt or B) go low. But always include the airdash back so it looks like you're gonna go for a j.S. Also mix this shit up with dash up, dash brake throw. j.S cancels into the um... force break version of jD, but when you're crossing up it'll set it the wrong direction so it's useless in that scenario

You want that mixup to look like the same setup every time: running jump, air dash back, j.S, land.

No disrespect but I really couldn't agree with that any less. Ky is not a character who can win consistently based purely on forced defensive decisions like "do this because it's a meaty in this situation then either throw or don't." If you're playing an opponent who's accustomed to the airdash back S, you really don't necessarily stand to lose much by doing land 5K or whatever; they aren't going to see immediately that you didn't do it and they might very well think you made a mistake, seeing it as their opportunity to jump or backdash out or do something really dumb like mash 2P. Maybe it's not an option to do very often, but I don't think it's ever a good idea for your mixups to look the exact same every time.

you don't use S or HS se frc's in your mix-ups...? those are really good for applying pressure as well as tk cse. Ky has plenty of mix-up you can use so just vary your combos but try to have a similar start up to your last start-up to confuse your opponent. just remember you also don't have to keep them in the corner all day either. also you shouldn't make a habit of using GS alot if you do. I experienced the concequences of this first-hand..:vbang: usually 2s or 5k is good for a pressure string start-up as well.