Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KayEff

[CSE] Ragna vs Relius

I honestly think Relius is pretty manageable.

His mix-up is weak and his pressure is strong. Don't be afraid or too impatient to just block everything he does, don't forget that the more Ignis meter he spends on pressuring, the less meter he'll have to spend on doing combos on you. Hitting buttons will usually just get you hit. Inferno Divider will rarely work to interrupt his strings because Relius will be out of range when he sends Ignis to hit you. Barrier block will make his 5C whiff if he likes to use that move in his strings.

This depends on the Relius player's play style, but I find that Relius tends to approach from the air, especially when the doll is not out. His dash speed is slow compared to his air dash speed, after all. His air normals feel very good to me, but they won't clash with 6A like Carl's j.2C. j.B in particular is good even as an air to air, even though it doesn't look like it. When the doll is out, he has a much larger variety of options. The wheel attack is especially good at shutting down Ragna's approach and starting Relius' own offense, but you can jump and air dash over it if you're looking for it.

His reversal supers are pretty safe even on block, although the gear super won't work on air attacks, and the punch super isn't as effective if you're airborne either. However, anti-air 2C is pretty good and is a fatal counter, so watch out for it and don't approach from the air recklessly. His CA is pretty good, looks like one of the best ones to me and has a great hitbox.

Block Punishes vs Relius:

Guaranteed:

6A (can cancel to super)

- (dash) 5A

- IB > (dash) 5B

236C

- (dash) 6C

236A

- CH throw (move isn't throw invulnerable)

- close, wait until it's ending > FC 2C

- far, wait until it's ending > CH 5C

Gears super

- 6C

Vol Tedo (close)

- 2A

- During flash ID©

- During flash BK > 5B

Anyone let me know if something isn't true or feel free to add anything I miss.

What about turtleing relius and dealing with his setup?

Which setup up in particular? Most of Relius' setups are rendered useless with good blocking, although this obviously doesn't apply to the unblockable setup. As previously stated, the more you block, the worse off the Relius player is, as he/she will find themselves using more of their Ignus meter, which limit his options once they retreat from their pressure.

As for turtling, if it means that you play patiently and safe, then go for it, as this match up is all about being patient. Reckless approaching will get you hit hard, so it's better to wait it out, or react based on what you think your opponent is going to do. Other than that, Relius players tend to use 214A at neutral to stuff your approaches or start offense. Tap out Ignus whenever she is out with a fast startup, fast recovery move like 5A (Also works as an anti air if Relius tries to approach by air). Avoid longer recovery moves for tapping out such as 5B. 5C should only be used to hit Ignus and Relius if in range, as this can tap out Ignus and force Relius to block.

A problem I find is when they use Duo Bois up close and cross up; I either get thrown or crossed up. They also tend to Val Lyra from a distance too. I guess my general problem is approach.

I guess my general problem is approach.

You should be aiming to approach when the Relius is

low on Ignis meter, if you aren't confident in your abilities otherwise. Maybe you lack patience when trying to approach? Recklessness and impatience is what Relius feeds on. Frustration and impatience will cause you to do stupid things.