Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

St1ckBuG

The BB Community, EVO, Netplay, and the FGC.

Hey guys, I'm new to the whole FGC setting and have only been able to watch matches on Youtube and I just recently picked back up BBCS:EX with two of my friends and we're interested in getting into tournaments even though we aren't that great.

After looking into where to find tournaments I stumbled here and read that Blazblue has quite a dark past and a pretty bad handicap given its demographic (which I am a part of sadly... almost high school graduates, broke, and going to have to deal with college afterwards.)

Anyways I really love Blazblue and I want to help this grow any way possible and hopefully make more friends cuz I only have two to play with who know about this game.

Can someone give me an update as to how this game is doing in its tournament setting? and by the way it's nice to meet you all

"To celebrate, Arc System Works will be holding the Arc System Works Festival on SUnday the 19th of May.

The festival will also include the Arc Revolution Cup - a tournament taking in P4A, BlazBlue and Guilty Gear.

Much like Blue Revolution last year, The Arc Revolution Cup will hold qualifying rounds in stores around Japan on the 16th of February and the 21st of April."

Hope qualifiers and special spots happen in america too.

This game is stalled, and P4U is taking BB's place in most tourneys.

Better wait for BBCP!

I dunno about that... BB hasn't been getting good numbers in a while, P4U has only made more people go to tournaments and therefore more people are there for Blazblue anyways. Not that I think numbers are that important, unless you're there for the money. Tournaments are a lot of fun, if there happens to be one in your area try to go to it!

stalled huh?

what about the plan to make our own BB tournaments? how is that comming along?

There are more and more of these now. To state a few examples, you've got the Buckeye Airdasher Cup in Ohio, Battle for Seattle in PNW, TSB in New York, NCI in Cali, Montreal Air Dashers in Canada...

I welcome BB iterations for new story content.

For FGs in general, I think there are 2 camps.

1. People who get bored and want to try new games. These people will want a newer version, often playing some other games between the time too. It also gives a reason to try to main a new character.

2. People who will only play what they are good at, and refuse to try new things. They care greatly for winning. These people are those that refused abandon Starcraft 1 when Starcraft 2 came out, even though the first game had been around rotting for 10 years because they didn't want to lose.

Starcraft 1 is better than Starcraft 2. Why wouldn't I want to stick with it.

Just because it's new doesn't mean it's better. If you care about playing a good game, then you might want to stick with an older version anyway, winning or not.

Just chipping in. I have to admit the online BB community is pretty awful. Got kicked from near enough every EU Lobby today because I won 1 game. Got a message from xxXxIIMLgButt3RrrZzzxxXX or something like that

"Fucking hilarious scrub anyone can do that shit"

;_;

Just chipping in. I have to admit the online BB community is pretty awful. Got kicked from near enough every EU Lobby today because I won 1 game. Got a message from xxXxIIMLgButt3RrrZzzxxXX or something like that

;_;

Dunno man, maybe it's just you europeans that can't play nice. I've been making lots of friends lately. :P

;_;

Means you're doing it right!

I made a few friends in the US via BB. But the ones in the UK and France are complete arseholes. It seems if they can't with with a predictable cut 'n' paste Ragna I get kicked.

Kinda lucky I have a bunch of close friends to BB with on and offline. Netplay in the EU is awful. But yeah, Tong. I take pride knowing I made someones day a little worse via XBL.

Dunno, I think online varies based on system and on location and stuff. I hear 360 is a smaller pool of players. As for ps3, the online is great actually. Lots of good people, fun matches and all.

If you find yourself minding being kicked (I take it as a token of respect, as they admit they can't beat me and have to kick me :P) then just host your own rooms. Problem solved!

As for European players, well, I'm technically one of them since I lived in Greece for the first 17 years of my life but I'm in the US now...in any case, there's sure to be some bad apples everywhere, I would cautious to generalize and entire continent based on what few people on a single system do.

I made a few friends in the US via BB. But the ones in the UK and France are complete arseholes. It seems if they can't with with a predictable cut 'n' paste Ragna I get kicked.

Kinda lucky I have a bunch of close friends to BB with on and offline. Netplay in the EU is awful. But yeah, Tong. I take pride knowing I made someones day a little worse via XBL.

EU scene is probably underdeveloped and full of scrubs that never got anywhere since there aren't as many people to play and level up with.

EU scene is probably underdeveloped and full of scrubs that never got anywhere since there aren't as many people to play and level up with.

Growing up in europe, the way I'd put it is you'd have microcosms, kinda like the Galapagos islands of the FGC. A tightly knit group would have it's own little things, it's own little adaptations and house rules and everything. If you were an outsider entering it'd be jarring and most often unpleasant so when people like that go out into the big bad world and try and apply their own things to it and fail, the reaction...it won't be pretty.

I remember one time being in school and playing this mugen DBZ game thing on the library PCs when an uperclass dude comes and makes fun of me for not playing "real fighters", turns out he was into tekken but did not even have the newest one (back then that was tekken 4) so I invited him over to my house and I beat him up with my rusty tekken tag skills without much effort, he left salty as fuck but he never commented about my mugen ever again. XD

The UK has a pretty large scene, in honesty. London has the Astral Heat event and I know like 6 guys that play BB at my University. France has a big BB scene and Germany just has a mad FG scene in general.

It's just they're all dicks.

Hey man, I went to EVO 2012 and took a two seperate rounds in different matches against Spark in the BB side-tournament, YOU are underdeveloped, cur!

The UK has a pretty large scene, in honesty. London has the Astral Heat event and I know like 6 guys that play BB at my University. France has a big BB scene and Germany just has a mad FG scene in general.

It's just they're all dicks.

Pfff, Kiba is super nice, he just doesn't play on XBL. ;P

The first post was a great read.

I just want to point out I agree.

I'm actually only RECENTLY trying to get competitive in this game. I am someone who DOES travel to tournaments.

I play MK9/SSBM when it comes to fighters and soon Injustice.

I originally played and bought EVERY Blazblue, but I literally only played for the story. I liked the story and characters so much, but I didn't bother to get good.

But that's becasue I put almost zero effort into understanding the mechanics. After watching some of the BB:CP gameplay and seeing all the movement. It reminds me of SSBM's freedom of movement and I've gotten more excited. I'm really good at space control in the games I play. Combo Execution is my curse.

anyways point is.

want to know why SSBM is making it to EVO this year? Not just because of the donations...

the real reason is "They've been around and stuck to their game." So while all the old players stick around they gradually attract new players over time. Even with Brawl coming out, there was a SSBM black out. But then that ended up bringing EVEN MORE melee players to the SSBM side eventually.

Time will grow this community.

Another aspect like the OP said, is the online.

Smash Brother Melee players don't have the luxury of online. so they MUST TRAVEL, and MUST BUILD A SCENE, in order to play.

Blazblue players aren't forced to, so they get comfortable with what they got.

Let me say this, I had ZERO Blazblue players here like no less than 5 months ago.

Now I got 8 people interested in going competitive. and this is just my local area. Once I start running locals soon, it will just keep adding on.

anyone can build a scene, you just gotta get off your ass and do it.

I built the MK9 scene here as well. once you find ONE person who plays. You get their name and number and you plan to game/find new people.

yes is underdeveloped but the french top players are very strong and in fact I don't know how they reached that level..maybe the 20k/30k online matches they had in the CS1/2 era might help :X plus the matches I am sure they have offline

and you dont see scrubs(at least on xbl)..ppl know how the game works..maybe some are just a bit flowchart

anyone can build a scene, you just gotta get off your ass and do it.

Inspiration +3

... hmm~ but the weeaboos that attend my university are kinda creepy >.>

There are two major issues that we are overlooking it seems. BB has not been around as long as other games that appear in EVO. This is part of the reason for a smaller, less established fanbase. The more established franchises that have been around for over a decade draw in bigger crowds and more money so they get first dibs. The possibility remains that BB will become more established with time, but its unlikely as arksys will generate an entirely new franchise with the ps4 coming out soon.

Number two is the game does not appeal to a wide spread audience to begin with. It appeals to anime fans, which is its intention. With anime being relatively unpopular in the U.S. this also cuts down the audience and adds to the reasons why it will not appear in EVO.

Trying to force feed people who bash the game will only increase the bashing and polarize the FG community towards the more established games. The best option would be to demonstrate that the franchise can attract a crowd and earn a profit. That is the only thing the people who create these tournaments care about anyways.

This is just my two cents though. Its a shame, because I feel BB is much more entertaining to watch than SF or SC. Footsies......footsies everywhere all the time.

I'm so depressed about this lately. I pour my heart and soul into this game and so few play it offline </3 Fuck this shit with BB being a ~SIDE TOURNEY HURR DURR~ at best. I know there's players out there because it's super hype at anime conventions ._.

For those who are disappointed that it's a side tourney, don't be. The side tourney last year was very hype and very fun. If you are able to make it out, the best way to show your support is to show up. The plus side is the spectator pass is much cheaper than the main badge. And, either way, the best part is the experience of meeting players from akl over.

yep after reading this gonna get off my lazy ass and make a scene here in converse/San Antonio blazblue and guilty gear needs more love than it gets