Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

St1ckBuG

The BB Community, EVO, Netplay, and the FGC.

I just wanted to drop in and give some props. I really hope all the players serious about building a BB community in the tournament scene up again give this thread a serious read. It's one thing when a player like me who dropped BB after CS1 calls out everyone and tells them to show up if they want to see a change. It's a whole different story when someone in the community steps up to the plate and at least starts trying to draw out the roadmap. If there was anyway to take the first step, this is the way to do it, and I hope the BB players don't just high five one another in this thread, but actually take what St1ckbug has said to heart and really try to get results and tourney attendance up, regardless of the venue.

I seriously doubt my rant on SRK was what inspired this thread, but if it in any way ignited a bit of a spark to start this type of movement, i'll feel a helluva lot better about posting it in the first place. If nothing else, I just want to wish you all the best of luck, and hopefully you guys get the results you are looking for as a community.

good read though there's still one thing i can't understand on this "anime gaming" thing going on there

i dont get what dictates an "anime game" isnt KoF anime drawn? arent capcom, some if not all, characters anime as well? if it's the air dashes, like the article said "hello umvc3"

Good article. Guilty as charged for being a netplay loser. :P The irony is the fact that I had PLANNED to make Evo this year my big "Yay, let's go to a tournament and have a good time event!" but that's pretty much off the calendar now - though the time and money in question can now be routed to some other event.

I buck the poverty scene demographic, but I AM lazy and I am a bit short of spare time, since I'm a salaried employee and whatnot with limited vacation. Plus I AM cheap, so... there's that. But no real excuse for not at least hauling down to New York for something. Fail me.

Anyway, I'm pretty crabby about the Evo thing, and therefore resolved to do a better job supporting the scene. Not sure I'm at the "grow something myself" stage, but I can at least show up for a few tournaments.

I read the whole article because I cared about bb and I respect st1ckbug as Tournament Organizer.

5~years ago . #2 was actually decided and done by Toronto GG.C to the CAPCOM.C

We just don't get along with the Capcom.c, countless rage, post wars, lots of table flipping, and don't forget the famous NagataLocked.

Our little gg/bb community is now very heathy, every year we have 4~5 new poverty school kids decided to get out from their house and try out our tournament, despite the tournament that attracted the most new players was our worst organized tournament. Thats because this tournament was host in the biggest anime event of the year called "Anime North"(gez weeaboos kids....)but anyways, new players are new players.

There is no way to get new players from another community, over my past 12yrs of gaming, people will only leave anime fighting for X-factor, and not the other way around. We need to get Netplayer to come out and I vote for #2.

If you read st1ckbug, what you need to do is start saving up money, go to that annual MAJOR HYPE bb tournament, and make your youth and fighting game history worth in your life time. We only have so many years to play and we have wasted enough time in gaming, so DO SOMETHING! MAKE IT MORE MEANINGFUL TO YOU, IT ISN'T JUST A GAME.

On the side, we have a young player who went to NEC and EVO last year. (s)he was too young to travel but (s)he was able to get parents to travel along. I don't think (s)he is a rich kid who can make good money alone because (s)he is still in school. But poverty kids doesn't mean your parents are poor, who brought your ps3/xbox?! get them to pay for your trip!

Good read here man, i want to say good shit for putting time into this Stickbug you got my support, I havent been active enough during the CS2 era because of college and money/family issues and just losing interest in the game in general. But this really inspires me to go help out our FGC because its sad to see how we are always getting shunned..but recently ive been having more casuals around here in my area and trying to plan more meet ups here at our local arcade. much respect though man

good read though there's still one thing i can't understand on this "anime gaming" thing going on there

i dont get what dictates an "anime game" isnt KoF anime drawn? arent capcom, some if not all, characters anime as well? if it's the air dashes, like the article said "hello umvc3"

Even though UMVC3 is just as much of an airdasher as BB, fanboys will still flock to it because its cast is more "Manly" and "American" unfortunately. Anyway I wish I knew of any scenes in Philadelphia, there are zero that I know of.

Well actually there is one small one I knew of, but those guys were so Pro-Capcom that they shot down almost every time I offered BB.

CEO 2012 will have BBCS:EX as a tournament. Love when people forget we had the biggest turnout for any EC Major in history at CEO 2011(Tokido came and won BBCSII We had around 50 entrants). If you're interested in trying to help put something serious for BB this year, get in contact with me.

ceogaming@gmail.com

You didn't even bother to post the result for BB, and when I used to live in Florida you used to shit on the game all the time.

Stickbug, I read the entire thing and really appreciate the fact that you sat down and spent the time you did to write this. Good on you.

I've only started trying to play fighting games, BB specifically, in a competitive way relatively recently. All in all I've been playing fighting games in general for about 2 years. GGXX:AC was my first 2D fighter but the first fighter I played on my own initiative wanting to get better was BB, and from day one I have felt the problems mentioned in your article. The people who had introduced me to GG absolutely refused to play BB when it hit, constantly citing that it was “too anime,” and the “character design is terrible.” They wouldn't even give it any sort of consideration based on aesthetics and I have since had an extremely difficult time trying to get any of my other friends to play it either because of those reasons or they simply don't “get” fighting games.

I can also admit that I was part of the problem for a little while. When I started in CT, I was netplay exclusively. To me, the people who played in tournaments were like some kind of wizards. Untouchable. It was unthinkable for me to go to a tournament even though I could have, because I would just be ripped apart and if you get ripped apart people don't give you the time of day, no matter what game it is you're playing. So I sat in an IRC channel and played friends and random people over the internet on red connections and not really taking the game seriously. I played a lot of stuff on GGPO too at the time, satisfied I could just hop on and leave when I felt like it and this only added to the problem.

But then a friend and I decided to stop by Arcade Infinity one day, despite neither of us knowing how to play stick. While he walked away from the experience relatively bitter, for me it was a real come to Jesus moment. It had felt like a completely different game (it was technically, it was CS1), filled with new experiences. I went home, spent about a month learning to play stick, quit netplay, and then spent 6-7 hours every Friday for around 6 months on that BB machine until Arcade Infinity closed down. When it did close, and lacking any other outlet for BB, thats when I finally started going to tournaments, out of desperation to play the game and to try and get better. I wasn't anywhere near ready, I still got destroyed just the way I thought I would when I started playing. But it was different now. It was ok for me to get destroyed if I could play. Because then I would get to see people I had met at AI at the tournaments, ask them how they did, hang out with them, and not be salty alone.

So I think that one of the problems for building a scene is that few will be able to have an experience like I had, due to the dwindling number of arcades. Its pretty easy to go from netplay warrior to someone who stops in at an arcade to play games once in awhile. I'd say its a lot more difficult for people to make a decision to start going to local casuals at somebody's house in an area they potentially don't know with a bunch of people they have never met, than to go to a specific location they've heard about and had people vouch for, scope it out and slowly start meeting people at their own pace. The sad thing is that nobody can really do anything about this since arcades are going the way of the dodo, but I really do think it would light a fire under some people to start seriously going to events if they had a chance to experience playing a fighting game in an arcade setting.

As for me, I've only gone to four tournaments so far. I've gone to Socal Regionals twice, Revelations, and I finally traveled for the first time to go to Evo2k11. I spent a lot of money on gas and rooms, just to get eliminated quickly, but it didn't matter. I still had fun. Now I'm trying to do everything in my power to try and make it to Final Round this March, and even without BB on the lineup I will be there for Evo2k12 and I happen to be one of those broke college students you were talking about. I think there is precious little excuse for people not to come, because once I started caring about it enough, I've found ways to make it out. If I can do it, I'm sure everyone else can put for a little more effort and make it to more events too.

One last thing I'd like to say is that I don't think separating is the right decision. Even people who don't play fighting games, but just video games in general tend to know that Evo is a bit of a big deal. We shouldn't be walking away from that, especially as it keeps getting bigger. It seems to me that withdrawing and making our own thing would just be running away, admitting defeat. But I don't know if the community would have the stomach or the means to do otherwise.

Anyway, thanks for the great article. I for one will try to make it to as many majors as possible this year. I want to see the community grow.

St1ckbug, me and Chibi are overdue to talk about anime Evo. Let's talk.

Naturally I have concerns, many of which are brought up here. But hey, we all gotta start somewhere.

You didn't even bother to post the result for BB, and when I used to live in Florida you used to shit on the game all the time.

Honestly, can't blame him sometimes.

Honestly, can't blame him sometimes.

I'm glad someone else verified this. As long as he isn't considered for the a main BB event. It's all good.

With BB at GODSGARDEN, the Japanese players have been going in hard with special events and exhibition matches...

There's a ton of stuff we can actually do, especially as the BBR Qualifier is coming up.

I'm glad someone else verified this. As long as he isn't considered for the a main BB event. It's all good.

Why is that fact surprising and why would having BB as a main event be a bad thing?

I think make legit online major will be cheaper, and more attractive for the majority of the BB player.

Like you said, the majority of the people are young and broke.

I feel like running the real tourney is next step,

we need to let the netplayers know that the competing seriously is fun.

And keep them interested in until they are old enough to go around themselves.

Sadly the game design doesn't help people to learn the base of FG.

This cause people to not stick fg in future.

so someone needs to lead them to the way.

Thankfully BB is somewhat netplay friendly so.

Well, I've been away from the community for a while.

Those idea are if things didn't change from the time I played.

From here is just what I think about this game.

I don't know how many people actually want to learn this game seriously in US.

I just feel like the game is not targeted to those who enjoy the FG mechanics.

What I see is arcsys is focusing on keep those light gamers entertained.

I hear many of the GG players say BB is auto pilot game.

the defense option in footsie level is not getting any better since CT.

It doesn't seem like they are trying to give the depth in the game.

I've been seen potential in this game since CT, but it has been CT-CS-CS2-EX now.

4th game! I can see the progress. But where is the game going? I'm not quite sure by seeing EX's change.

This game is in the middle of SF and mvc.

reactable footsie like SF but not enough option to deal with so you'll end up jumping away or in.

Strong mix up but not as creative as mvc (or GG).

I'm sure there is reason why this game's majority of players are young people who doesn't play other FG.

YES, it is true that this game is discriminated because this is anime game.

But ignoring the fact that the game itself has problem, this game is not ready to have big real tourney.

...I think.

So online tourney to keep the majority players interested in is what's needed right now.

And hope that arcsys can make this game interesting enough in future edition.

St1ckBuG's article was amazing and reflective of Montreal's current situation, in my view of course. it's kinda late for me to write up a big post but with my personal expriences in fg's and the fgc.

Fg's in the fgc is like high school unless everyone is playing that particular game no one will play. And because no one plays it it is labelled as "uncool", so it is stigmatized as being "uncool" to newer players and are afraid of actually trying out the game. We have BB players who sub other games, but you rarely hear other players subbing in BB. You don't see sponsored players playing BB either, helping to stigmatize the games already present "uncool-ness". Because it is uncool people easily disregard it for the smallest reason, and that very reason could be in other fg's but they'll pick up that game instead because "it's more fun" "its cooler". But really, it's because most people is playing it, thus making it cool to play. Running BB at these side events do not attract people to the game because of the unpopular view around it. No point really in trying. I'm starting to see the logic in doing our own thing. I've seen personal friends who bought CT, and some bought CS, and then when mvc3/umvc3 came out their reasoning for not really playing Bb because "they are too busy" all of a sudden had cleared up schedules to level up in the game.

As the "nerds"/"outcasts" of the fgc, doing our own thing is starting to look stronger and stronger.

Stickbug - you are awesome and I'm very glad I got to meet you at the past Final Round. I want this game to succeed SO BADLY, and now that I'm out of college with a steady job I will help hype the community in any way I can. I will travel to any major that gets hype, especially an anime EVO no matter where it would be, and drag any other players I can with. I completely support everything you've said.

ignoring any vendetta against jebailey as I think he's pretty cool, I'd be disinclined for it to be at CEO just for the fact that the vast majority of the entrants were from Florida. Honestly the only players I can think of that traveled from out of state were ivysaur and I (2nd and 3rd) with the rest of my passengers. And Tokido, who didn't come for Blazblue and probably won't now that he can't derp to top 4 with noel. Swag.

@EVO deal:

I heard AnimEVO wutwut.

I second that shit.

I understand that breaking away might seem like a sign of defeat, but I fail to see how being in EVO makes or breaks a game's community (which is what matters if I'm not mistaken). I understand EVO can bring some hype/new blood, but why should BB or GG not being in EVO discourage people from playing?

I mean, here's my personal mental breakdown of the recent EVO 2012 news:

>Be salty for like 2 hours.

>Not give a fuck about EVO.

>Go back to playing BB.

>Wonder when the next TSB tourney is.

I see nothing wrong with breaking off and having a different annual major that hosts players from all over the country. How this would be accomplished I'm completely clueless on, but I fail to see how not having the "EVO" tag would screw over the BB or GG communities in any way, shape, or form.

----------------------------------

@My personal attendance at tournies:

I cringed watching the most recent NEC and I shit you not, I went through every single recorded BB match, including the 8v8. I'm mad at the fact I couldn't be down there with everyone, despite being new to the BB scene. Matter of fact, I actually was hoping to meet you in person in the near future and thanking you for all the time, work, and money that you put into holding the FG community down.

Matter of fact, shoutouts to everyone that keeps the NY scene up and running. You know who you are.

Either way, I'm even more mad that I fall under the poverty category. Given enough time I would actually like to help build/maintain the NY scene, but I just can't afford it or help in any way other than with my own attendance at local tournies. Maybe a major or two if I can keep my spending needs/wants in check.

Ok, it's late and I don't have an attention span long enough to read that first post but... maybe you guys are approaching this the wrong way. I've always said, for as far as the euro scene goes, that the BB community is an online community. It means: they will not show up for tournaments. This is fact and this will remain fact for probably the remainder of its lifetime.

Is this bad? No. And this is probably where a lot of dustloopees would disagree on, but they will have to understand that these BB players are not GG players, are not old-school and most likely don't really give a damn about how it used to go. They are simply a new generation of players that like to enjoy the game their way. The lack of tournaments doesn't mean no knowledge is exchanged, that nothing new is learned or that these are just casual gamers.

As you probably know by now, the current dutch GG community consists of a grand total of 4 members(HeatExtend, COCONUTBOOB, Chise and me). And before we ended up being with 4, we basically were 2 seperate communities of 2 players. When we only had offline play, Chise and I would play once every 3 months or so. Ever since online came out, it can be as frequent as every day, but generally all 4 members of the dutch community had the ability to play whenever they desired. In net however, we've had just 1 meeting where all members were present; we've had no tournaments, but did it stall our development? I think anyone that has seen me play at frosty faustings will tell you what I'll tell you here: No, quite frankly, we've been improving at an incomprehensible rate.

So if anything, I think that the BB community isn't doing a bad job per se. It isn't what old school players are used to, sure, but their community probably has more life and more development in it than people would give them credit for.

Stickbug - you are awesome and I'm very glad I got to meet you at the past Final Round. I want this game to succeed SO BADLY, and now that I'm out of college with a steady job I will help hype the community in any way I can. I will travel to any major that gets hype, especially an anime EVO no matter where it would be, and drag any other players I can with. I completely support everything you've said.

ignoring any vendetta against jebailey as I think he's pretty cool, I'd be disinclined for it to be at CEO just for the fact that the vast majority of the entrants were from Florida. Honestly the only players I can think of that traveled from out of state were ivysaur and I (2nd and 3rd) with the rest of my passengers. And Tokido, who didn't come for Blazblue and probably won't now that he can't derp to top 4 with noel. Swag.

That's not been my experience with him. Going to pay for venue and being called shit cause you play BB is not fun. Not being providing setups when you were expecting too is not good for a tournament IMO.

Why is that fact surprising and why would having BB as a main event be a bad thing?

BB main event completely for that, as long as Jebaily is not involved IMO. Take it how you want I guess.

First thing's first, I'm glad the first person to say something about this wasn't me, because if someone who had been involved in the community longer than myself wasn't going to say something by Saturday night, I was going to post up a V-log stating the same things Alan pointed out. I'm not sure if what I had to say would have gotten such support because I fee that I'm not that big of a player in the BlazBlue community that anyone would take me seriously.

I read Klaige's post on SRK the day he posted it, and I talked to him at Frosty Faustings and I wholeheartedly agree with everything he said and everything Stickbug posted here; the reason the community isn't getting the recognition we deserves it should get is because we as a community aren't supporting the game as we should. We can all sit here and get mad at those who hate on BlazBlue but at least those guys are doing what it takes to get their game the support it needs for recognition:

GOING OUT TO TOURNAMENTS AND SUPPORTING THEIR GAME!

People are going to crap on games they don't understand especially if they're in the same genre, that will never change. We as BB players crap on other fighters as well, and to make matter worse, some BB players even crap on BlazBlue as well, but the one thing we cannot say is that those guys support their game and go out to make it apparent that they want it at EVO. On top of that; people playing this game have the wrong mindset when it comes to local (or non-local) tournaments, or they have sad excuses because of it and believe me, what I say is true because I was here at one time:

Sad Excuses

"I'm not going to enter a tournament if I can't win"

This should not be the deciding factor of going, even if you feel you can't win, you can learn something if you're serious about the game, and if not, you can meet up with some cool people that you can play with and build a casual scene. This applies to going outside your area, you could meet up with people you think are cool and have someone to chill with.

"I'm not going to show up because I know I'd win"

How do you know that you're going to win? If you have a reputation of being one of the best, show the heck up and show us why you're the best. Who's to say you will win, you just might meet your match at that tournament, as the old saying goes: "There's always someone out there better than you." You just never know what will happen. Hey, you might win it all, or you might get put out early, but that's the thrill of entering a tournament setting, you never know what to expect out of your opponent unless you've been playing each other forever.

"No one I know is going to be there"/ "I don't think I'd fit in

More reason to go! Meet new people who are interested in the same thing. Maybe your anti-social but guess what? You have something you can talk about to make things easier on you. You gotta get out of your shell if you want this game to get big, and the best way to do that is to meet up with people you have in common with, even if it's one thing.

"I'm not good enough to play in a tournament"

You never know unless you try. Hell my first "official" BlazBlue tournament outside of casuals or RANBATS was EVO 2011 and I almost made it out of pools into top 32! I had 2 chances, one of them I got beat in a close match, and the other Kid Viper blew me the heck up... I almost got in the big dance and if this Netplay Jin can do it, why can't you?

"I'm afraid to get Blown Up (on stream/in public)"

Who want's to get blown up? But guess what? It happens to the best of players; look at EVO 2011 Grand Finals, NO DISRESPECT TO LORD KNIGHT BY ANY MEANS!!! It happens to the best players and they cope well, then they move on to bigger and better things. People get blown up, it happens, but that's part of the fighting game community, I'm sure you've had your chance to "Blow Up" someone online, why not try it offline?

"It's not worth my time..."

This is the saddest of all excuses... How do you know unless you show? You don't know, you might have the best time you had in awhile if you do. Meeting new people, exposing your skills to others, and playing stronger players should be the reason you go. Don't go in having this attitude otherwise you may miss out on something amazing.

Legit Reasons

"My job is not allowing me to go"

This happens to those who have jobs and want to keep them. It's happened to me more than I would like to count and has kept me from going to Michigan Master and NEC. I had plans but my job called me up and I just couldn't avoid work. Valid excuse is valid.

"It's too far"

This one is 50-50. If you don't have a car but the venue is in your state, or a few miles out, I'm sure you could discuss a plan to talk to someone to help you out. But if it's the case where you have to go across the country, completely understandable on why you would pass this up.

"I'm broke"

Times are hard in this economy, but if you really want to go, I'm sure you could find a way to get where you need to go and play. I will say this, sometimes, you just don't have the money and can't afford it. If you're at least over the age of 18, please get a job and make it out to something because the support is needed as you can see from Stickbug's post.

"I'm 15..."

Self Explanatory...

All I can say is that you can try to sweet talk your mom or talk to your dad and see if they can accompany you to the event. Sweet talk mom into going by saying "When I win, I'll share the prize money with you" or macho it up with dad "When I win, I'll make grown men cry and take their money" Who doesn't want to see their child win money and give it to mom or watch their kid take a grown man's money, make them cry and laugh in their face? If that's not the case then there's no helping it, sorry kids...

"Too soon to plan ahead"

I can't stress how much this happens, and this falls on the tourney organizers. Tourney's should be announced months in advanced and advertised on all major forums that have the game(s) for that site. Last minute organized tournaments will never do well, especially if you're not advertising it enough to grab the attention of those in the area. Announce it months in advance and go out to get some people to show up.

There is literally an answer to all bad excuses and some are legit, hopefully this opened up some eyes/ears to those sitting at home being NAH's. Now moving on to something that REALLY caught my eye:

Totally down for making an AnimeEvo of some sort. I feel that if Dustloop mods and admins were behind it, it would inspire and help our community! :] I'll do what I can to help with our scene!

This is probably the greatest idea to come out from those who support the article. Why complain about not having BlazBlue at EVO when a lot of people crap all over the game? Forget them and let's put together something for the airdasher community. I fully support the idea of having an AnimeEvo Major supported by those who are willing to work for it and (KEY POINT HERE) can back it with the proper finances to make it happen. It's a great idea to begin with, but the question is, where and when can we organize such an event that's not too soon and give enough time to plan effectively? I'd love to help out, and even though I almost never have money, I still find ways to get where I need to be unless the Military calls me up for work (Pretty much what happened to me for NEC...). Hopefully this "Finding a Job" plan works out for me and I can get some extra money in my pockets soon and show up to more tournaments than EVO and Frosty Faustings.

There needs to be a serious discussion with those who are willing and wanting to make this happen, Moderators, Admins, top players, and supporters of the game(s) should be the ones to get the wheels going on this and I would love it if I were involved as well. Location needs to be discussed, gaming roster needs to be put together (though I'm sure that part will be easy), and a catchier name than AnimeEVO (Sure there's a copyright issue there) would be fine too, LOL! If games are imports, we need to bring systems that can support the imported game, and there are more issues I'm not noting along with the ones I already brought up.

Can it be done? YES IT CAN! Will it be done? Only if the community as a whole get's together and is able to find a way to make this happen. We need to have the community support the idea in many ways possible. Scenes need to get together and get their best players to show up (Offline/Netplay, it doesn't matter), so that the event is hyped up to the max. I have a few ideas I want to pass on to those who are interested in doing this as long as those who want to get involved are serious about it and are willing and able to assist in ways to make this thought into a reality.

Sites like Dustloop/Homing Cancel/Melty Bread and many more should get together to try and figure out something to get this plan swinging because Dustloop alone can probably get it done but it would be even better if we had other outside sources to assist with such a plan especially if it means creating "THE" Major for Air Dasher games in the US. I mean, it will be hard but with enough help and with the right people doing what needs to be done, I'm sure it can be done.

AnimeEvo sounds great. I think it would be awesome if there was an EVO-like (super huge turnout, hosted in a hype location) tournament but for 'anime' games. GGAC, BBEX, AH3, MBAACC, Aquapazza, Daemon Bride would all be in the line-up, if I had the choice.

I'm super grateful to Ryan Harvey of Arcade UFO right now. FlameIce, Scottie, Yuushiro, and myself all pleaded for ranbats for BB. Our prayers were heard and answered. Even though, just like everywhere else, far more people show up for the MvC3 and SF4 ranbats, he gave us our own spot this season, with a stream for top 8 nonetheless. Words can't explain how happy I am right now (I was on the verge of tears when I saw the news, that's my passion). I wish I knew when his birthday is so I could bake this motherfucker a cake.

I've got a mission this semester: find and hunt down all of those lurking BB players at UT, at least the freshmen and sophomores that live in the dorms near me. Hoang joked (although it is rather true to the situation) that "do we even have 8 players for BB in Austin?" While we do have enough to meet the quota, I still want more people to show up. I know they're out there. The BB ranbats have a mere $2 asking price, so there's no reason in the world why players in the immediate area shouldn't show up.

I guess this does get back to Alan's (St1ckBuG's) point, though. I am only 18, just finished my first semester at UT, and I don't have all that much money (have yet to find a job here, hopefully being a teacher's assistant will work out). I do like anime, hell, I love it. Does that affect me being a BB player? Completely the opposite. BB is the reason I got back into anime in the first place. But before I lived here in Austin, hope for a scene was non-existent. My hometown is Glen Rose, TX, a town with a population of about 2,000. Netplay was out the question as well. I've played against three people online and those were the most laggy, unforgivable experiences of my life. Basically all I did with the game was grind out combos ad infinitum (which I still do to this day) as well as beat the story mode and got my ass wrecked in score attack mode.

So when I found out there was an arcade just up the street from campus, I just about lost my shit. And I did. I've yet to win a game against anyone, save for twice against Scottie's Valk (when he just picked him up, so it only makes sense) and Yuushiro whenever he decided to play as Hazama against me one time (though there have been plenty of times where he has played Hazama and wrecked me like he normally does). I had never played on stick before the start of the semester last year. I've still got a long way to go, but you can ask any of the Austin crew and they'll tell you that I've been there every weekend that I could since August.

So how do I help the scene at all? I'm just some scrub who plays Hazama cos I think he looks cool. Well, I'm still currently in my hometown right now for the winter break, but I'm currently doing what I can to help establish the Hazama wiki page. I plan to be at every single BB ranbat this season. If people decide that there's going to be a BB side-tournament at EVO, then you can count my ass in as well. If the community decides that a different gathering should be main event of the year (in that, the turnout will have guests from across the continents), then I'll show up to that one then.

Something that I think should be taken into account for whatever major we decide is THE major to show up to: plane ticket prices. Since this is the poverty scene that we're talking about here, if there is trouble in reaching a consensus on which major to choose, expenses should be the first thing that comes to mind.

To me, the people who played in tournaments were like some kind of wizards. Untouchable. It was unthinkable for me to go to a tournament even though I could have, because I would just be ripped apart and if you get ripped apart people don't give you the time of day, no matter what game it is you're playing.

I still feel this way. I want to be a wizard too, but lest some day a large burly and bearded man comes into my room saying "YER A WIZARD JYO", I can't help but wonder if it's even possible. I can't help but occasionally feel there's some natural talent with these games that I simply do not possess.