Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Veteru

OLD! Sol Combo Thread [GGAC]

[Edit: Changed title to "OLD". Look forward to a new thread from me soon] Sol is a good character for "freestyle" combos. His combos vary slightly depending on exact screen positioning and what you use to launch, but once you get the basics down you can pretty much improvise your own. I think this is part of the reason people don't discuss his combos much, but since I couldn't find it listed I decided to write some up. Here is a listing of the combos I'm using. All of these combos work against Sol. I'll include some others for "Non-Sol Targets" later on. Brief explanation of my notation: nj.S = neutral jump slash j.S = forward jumping slash Backwards jump is not used in any combo listed DJ = double jump SW = Of course it's a clean hit so don't ask CH = Counter Hit All specials are abbreviated in a logical way. -------------------------------------- Here we go! Dust Combos: 5D, j.D, j.D, DJ >> falling j.D, dash j.D, SW, dash 2H, j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, BR = 199 damage (Must be in corner by 4th j.D) 2D 2D, BR(2), RC, j.D, dj.D, SW, dash 2H, j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, BR = 235 (Must be in corner by the second j.D) 2D, BR(1), RC, SW, nj.S, SW, nj.S, SW, j.S, SW, nj.S, SW, BR = 242 (Proximity to the corner required) 2D CH 2D, GF, Fafnir, dash 2H, j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, nj.S, SW, j.S, SW, nj.S, SW, BR = 285 2D, GF FRC, dash j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, nj.S, SW, j.S, SW, nj.S, SW, BR = 274 GV Combos (In the corner by the end of GV) [GV, dash j.D, SW, dash 2H, j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, BR] = 226 GV, [GV, dash j.D, SW, dash 2H, j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, BR] = 245 Low airdash S, H(1), 2H >> [GV, dash j.D, SW, dash 2H, j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, BR] = 231 2KH >> [GV, dash j.D, SW, dash 2H, j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, BR] = 191 5H2H >> [GV, dash j.D, SW, dash 2H, j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, BR] = 277 GV Combos (Midscreen variant) GV, dash j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, j.S, SW, nj.S, SW, BR = 241 5S6P Combo (requires corner): 5S, 6P >> [GV, dash j.D, SW, dash 2H, j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, BR] = 268 Dashing 5S, 6P, delay 236P, 2H, j.D, SW, dash 2H, j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, BR = 254 Fafnir: CH (Or Clean Hit from anti-jump setup) Fafnir, dash 2H, j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, nj.S, SW, j.S, SW, nj.S, SW, BR = 245 (277 if used as antijump/backdash) Airthrow (Midscreen): Low airthrow, Fafnir = 80 (Can't get a clean hit vs. Sol) Low airthrow, 5SH, SJIAD.KS, VV(623H214K) = 105/116 (depends on # of VV hits) Throw (Corner): Throw, 5K(1), j.KS, SW, GV, dash j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, BR = 165 Throw, 5K(1), j.PS, SW, dash 2H, j.D, SW, nj.SW, BR = 152 Bukkirabou ni Nageru (Command throw): BnN, dash 2H, j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, [optional extra nj.S, SW,] j.S, SW, nj.S, SW, BR = 175[187] (Requires certain proximity from the corner - works best at 1/2 stage distance) BnN, Fafnir, dash 2H, j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, j.S, SW, nj.S, SW, BR = 196 (Requires certain proximity from the corner - works best at 1/2 stage distance) BnN, dash 2H, j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, (5S or 2H), SW, 2H, BR = 162/164 (Works vs. corner) BnN, dash j.H, j.SW, j.SW, j.SW, dash j.D, VV(623S214K) = 149 Riot Stomp (CH): RS, dash 2H, j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, nj.S, SW, j.S, SW, nj.S, SW, BR = 267 RS, 214S(2), dash j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, j.S, SW, nj.S, SW, BR = 288 Unburstable: BnN, whiff Fafnir>>FB Tyrant Rave >> Bandit Revolver (Works from midscreen) = 112 Veteru

It would be nice to sticky a thread that is JUST combos, seeing as the "Sol combo thread" is just a bunch of talk about theory and other jibba jabba. Mostly because lots of newbs show up and have no idea what's going on in that thread, it would be nice to point them to a definite list. So I recommend deleting non combo posts and sticky. I'll try to make a compilation of say, throw combos in corner vs. everybody and post it. Also, you may want to order them in terms of difficulty, ie beginner, intermediate, advanced. The first dust combo you posted is WAY over the heads of beginners. I'm not even sure I could do that myself with any hint of consistency. :psyduck: The standard dust combos without sidewinder are: 5D , j.D j.D , S K S K S dj. S HS VV (works anywhere on screen) or 5D, j.D j.D , S K S D, dj. S D VV. For more dmg near corner.

Is there any particular reason this warranted its own thread? Cuz if not, I'm gonna merge it with the current thread we have for combos.

As stated by Weget, the other thread is [was] worthless. You should lock it or maybe rename it (Sol Combo Theory Discussion?). There are [were] many worthless combos in it (Volcanic viper RC volcanic viper RC volcanic viper?!). I did notice you recently deleted them, but that was after I created this thread and brought back some interest... some of those posts had been there for 6 months or longer.

Also, almost no combo in the other thread lists the damage it does. In order to even find out which combo is better, people have to try every single one... that's why I saw it more as a combo discussion thread than a combo posting one.

Also pointed out by Weget, the difficulty of the combos I listed is somewhat higher than typical. I've tried to list maximized combos as much as possible, while still allowing for bandit revolver knockdowns.

As for whether or not this thread should be merged with the existing thread, that pretty much depends on if you think people should have to read through 20+ [13] pages of combos in order to find that list. Personally I don't think they should have to, which is why I created a seperate thread.

Assuming you leave my post here, I was planning to expand this thread to cover different character weights, etc.. Light characters change the optimal setups a lot, so I'm still experimenting to find the best (imo) options.

Veteru

We should definitely keep a topic like this, which has the information one would be looking for right on the first post. IMO, it's important to have this kind of info be as accessible as possible. It should also address other combos (like easier ones for beginners, and situational ones such as ones for specific weight classes) to avoid the same questions being asked time and time again.

2D, GF, Fafnir, dash 2H, j.D, SW, nj.S, SW, nj.S, SW, j.S, SW, nj.S, SW, BR = 290 im almost positive this is techable forward or back tech. you can get the 5 SWs but its either really hard to get the BR or you do not get it. but i have not tried this one myself so maybe. i usually stop at four SW to gureentee a knock down. i mean maybe you can hit it. but im not sure how often someone will get the BR, im sure the timing will be strict. and proximity to the corrner could be a factor. in any case good job on creating a comprehensible combo list for aspiring sol players.

I didn't think I'd have to include this but [Disclaimer, all combos performed by me in training mode with back tech on] concerning 4 vs. 5 sw combos, it's pretty much your option, but sometimes screen positioning will limit what you can do.. sometimes at certain positionings, 4 sidewinders leads to an awkward positioning where it's hard to get a knockdown. I just wanted to see what the max I could get while still keeping the bandit revolver untechable knockdown. Also please note all combos were performed against sol, against other characters your mileage will vary. I'm still working on creating a list for other characters. P.S. Some combos I experimented with could lead to ground bandit revolvers that did not knock down... that's right... they magically became air techable because I did so many hits, hehehe. Veteru

Aw, but wasn't playing 20 questions with Final Showdown in the other thread kind of fun in a masochistic sense? But seriously, I wouldn't call the other thread worthless. On topic: Jam 2D-GV (midstage) sj.H-SW, sj.S-H-623S, 214K 2D-GV (corner) sj.D-SW, dash j.S-(JC)-D-623S, 214K Bridget 2D-GV (midstage) sj.S-SW, sj.S-H-623S, 214K 2D-GV (corner) sj.D-SW, dash j.S-(JC)-S-623S, 214K These do around 175-200 damage depending what chained into 2D. I've gotten another clean hit and a knockdown before, but it's really inconsistent. One thing I think worth looking into is RC'ed SW combos, when it works and when it's worth it. That's all for now.

I didn't think I'd have to include this but

[Disclaimer, all combos performed by me in training mode with back tech on]

concerning 4 vs. 5 sw combos, it's pretty much your option, but sometimes screen positioning will limit what you can do.. sometimes at certain positionings, 4 sidewinders leads to an awkward positioning where it's hard to get a knockdown. I just wanted to see what the max I could get while still keeping the bandit revolver untechable knockdown.

Also please note all combos were performed against sol, against other characters your mileage will vary. I'm still working on creating a list for other characters.

P.S. Some combos I experimented with could lead to ground bandit revolvers that did not knock down... that's right... they magically became air techable because I did so many hits, hehehe.

Veteru

sorry to question you, i did a five hit SW combo against kensou last night, and got the br and no gray beat. so it works against chipp. it just depends on the hits.

Aw, but wasn't playing 20 questions with Final Showdown in the other thread kind of fun in a masochistic sense? But seriously, I wouldn't call the other thread worthless.

Im unsure of what your trying to say here. Ive posted almost everyusefull sol combo before anyone else has ever posted it... Not my fault every other page someone else is posting something as new when I already posted it. hell what the fuck some posts in that thread people were posting shit as new when I posted it way back in the begining of slash. Yawn.

sorry to question you, i did a five hit SW combo against kensou last night, and got the br and no gray beat. so it works against chipp. it just depends on the hits.

If you get just the right distance from the corner you can do this. I did 5 in a match against slayer then BR knockdown on beat once.

We don't need two combo threads (like it or not, combo "theory" is part of combo discussion and doesn't warrant a separate thread), there's no way to merge the two threads with this thread on top since all posts are inserted in chronological order, I'm not going to pick and choose posts to cut and paste here and apparently everyone felt the other thread was "worthless" anyway. So yeah, this is the new combo thread.

Ive posted almost everyusefull sol combo before anyone else has ever posted it... Not my fault every other page someone else is posting something as new when I already posted it.

In case anybody doesn't believe this, just thought I'd say about 50% of my current AC Sol combo theory is from trying to remember Clayton's old Sol posts from ggxx through ggac, with another 40% being misc. japanese combo vids and 10% my personal creativity.

every now and then I like to play what I call "Sol, master of gimp combos" Counter Faf - Clean Faf - Clean Faf - Tyrant Rave Extension - dash 2H - j.S - Sidewinder! ...there was more after this, but I forget what it was :psyduck:

hmm is anyone gonna post any more useful combos that i can use with sol, id appreciate it, looking at someone else do combos on vids, bores me half to death, unless im inputting the commands clearly.

hmm is anyone gonna post any more useful combos that i can use with sol, id appreciate it, looking at someone else do combos on vids, bores me half to death, unless im inputting the commands clearly.

I'll assume you mean clean hit combos, because AFAIK those are the most useful.

The only way to learn how Sidewinder combos is to mess around in training mode with every character. The loop itself is usually the same, or with minor variations (like j.H might be easier than j.S or 5H is easier than 2H). But the trick lies in the slight differences in timing due to character weight and their clean hit box. Also the combos (combo segments would be more apt) are location specific - not simple like midstage/corner, but more like deep corner, half a screen from corner, middle facing corner, the rest of stage, and full stage. So while it's helpful to know canned combos, it's more helpful to understand what sequence to start with depending on the situation and go from there, performing the appropriate combo segment at the appropriate time. That way if you make a slight error in timing, you'll know how to adjust on the fly rather than try to make some preconceived combo work. It's kind of like Iron Man's infinite in MvC2: you have to know each launch setup to get the height right for the infinite, how to fix the height by adding a kick when you mess up slightly, and how to combo proton cannon before the game unjuggles.

Basic stuff you should notice is j.S-SW will clean hit if Sol is slightly above their clean hit box since j.S sucks them towards him, j.H-SW will clean hit if Sol is the same level, and j.D-SW does the best damage, but will only clean hit when Sol is really deep because of blowback so you mostly do this in the corner or while dashing or both. So you do j.S when they're lower, j.H when they're higher, and j.D when you can. Another thing is clean hit untechable time starts out large, but diminishes slightly with each clean hit, very noticeably after the 4th, since this is the point where you need precise height, timing, and proximity to still get that knockdown (usually provided by the corner). This brings up the final component - the wall. Its location determines what you'll want to do. Usually, the screen centers on your character. However, the corner wall location or the screen motion can change that, altering typical trajectories.

Example: We all know the basic easy loop, not max damage or anything, but what works on almost everyone is WT > j.S-SW, 2H-j.S-SW, nj.S-SW, BR. This works midstage, but what about when throwing the opponent out of the corner? If you do normal j.S-SW, the wall is too far away and they tech shortly after the bounce before you can relaunch. So you need something with momentum like dash j.D-SW or dash 2H JC j.D-SW to take you to the middle of the screen (not to be confused with midstage) so the wall bounce occurs sooner and you can relaunch. Likewise, you'll want to do a different combo going into the corner.

Once you really become familiar with these situations, you'll recognize when your early 2H launched them a little too high for j.S but not j.H or when you random AA with extended 5K that you should j.P-SW instead of whiffing 2H trying to do the normal setup or when you're within one screen from the corner to go for 4 or 5 j.S-SW instead of the usual j.D or 2H stuff.

tl;dr - 95% of all SW loop combos are launched via AA, throw, 2D-BR RC, VV RC, GV, or GF FRC. Dash where applicable, 2H where applicable, and j.S, j.H, or j.D-SW. Relaunch if needed, then j.S-SW x n depending on screen position, BR.

The other 5% is stuff like 2H JC nj.SW or TK SW against Baiken or Bridget or other unique character specific stuff, jump SW loops, combos with iad. segments, cancels, or strange combo video stuff. This 5% is what interests me more since the other stuff is formulaic. Not to diminish Veteru's efforts, since a compilation like that on the first page helps a lot of new players, but maybe that's why there were hardly any written combos in the old thread - once you know the principle behind Sidewinder, writing j.S-SW over and over becomes unnecessary. So yeah, this post was probably way more boring than a combo vid but hopefully it clears some things up.

OMG, i am so tired of being hit with this move my the computer and not being able to pul it off. Does anyone know what the input for Sol's bandit revolver combo from mid screen is? From the looks of it, he does br-5k-br-5k br-2h-and a flurry of aerial jump slashes, the thing is i cant get the 5k out in time to hit in the air after the first br, is it timing or is it simpley a matter of FRC'ing at the right time?