Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shinsyn

[CSE] Jin Kisaragi Tutorial Video Thread

OK guys, we're gonna get a jump start on the BBCS:EX - Jin Kisaragi Video Tutorial.

This thread is for the sole purpose of creating a beginner tutorial for this installment of the game. As of right now, the plans/rules are as follows:

- On the day of US release, we will begin the process of creating a basic video tutorial for Jin Kisaragi.

- The Jin moderators (Moy_X7 and Yuushiro) will be the heads of the project and all final decisions on the project will be approved by them.

- Myself (ShinSyn) will be responsible for the recording/editing of the video so that we have High Definition quality of the video.

- If you partake in the process of making the tutorial, your Dustloop Tag (or IRL name, whichever you want to use) will be added to the ending credits of the video.

- Please, do not post off-topic in this thread.

*Stay on topic and go about this professionally, off-topic conversations belong in the General Thread*

The following was stated by Moy_X7:

- On release day, continue to develop combos for set starters; mid-screen, close to the corner, and in the corner.

- Post your results with the proper information for each combo in the combo thread.

- We will discuss, and handpick the best combos in terms of damage, heat gain, corner carriage, and oki.

- After that, ShinSyn will record every single one of those optimal combos, lump them together in an edited video tutorial and upload it to YouTube.

- Time expected of project's completion: One Month.

There will be more plans incorporated within the project as we make progress, but now this is what Moy and I came up with. I would like to know who will be getting the game on day one (US Release), who has the ability to record in High-Definition in the case something happens to my equipment, and who all is interested in participating in this project so I can compile a list so you are given your credit due for your work on the tutorial.

Moy and Yuushiro are making the final decisions on what happens with the project; they're position is there to manage the project so that it doesn't get out of hand. This is a "Group Project" so if you guys have any ideas, pass them along here and if they see it as being profitable toward the creation of the tutorial, the moderators will approved it, and it will incorporated within the tutorial. If an idea is declined, the reason why will be given so you aren't left in the dark.

Post up if you're interested, and let me know what you can contribute to the tutorial; we're gonna need all the help we can get especially since the plan is to have it done or near completion one month after the project's start date.

If something happens and you need another person to record, I can. If I can help in another capacity as well, let me know.

I can show max damage combos 0.0

That's our goal here, to find the absolute best combos in terms of damage, Heat gain, corner carriage, and oki in every situation and each section of the screen.

We can spearhead this project in two ways:

1. We develop combos for each move, one at a time, and post our best combos here.

2. We develop combos for each move all at once and post our best combos here.

It really shouldn't take us more than a month. Hell I bet that most people will be able to come up with some amazing combos for every move, in every situation, in each section of the screen within a day or two.

Got my copy of the game, let the project begin. We'll start out with 5A.

Mid-screen:

5A -

5A AA -

5A on crouching Tager, Hakumen, Relius -

Near/in the corner:

5A -

5A AA -

5A on crouching Tager, Hakumen, Relius -

I'll be getting my copy soon. Also, wouldn't it be better if we got people who had the game to work on a different starter? That way, we could spread out the work and get more done faster? If you have a specific reason why we should all start on this from the same starter, please explain. I mean most, if not all of us are competent enough to perform decent combos off of set starters right?

Some people might have better combo ideas than others. We'll use the best combo for each starter and slap it on the Combo Thread/Wiki.

I'll have a combo for each starter within the next few hours so don't worry too much about the time efficiency. From there, I'll just wait for people to one-up my combos if possible.

I'll be making a temporary thread for us to post our combos for each starter. It'll be much easier to keep track of things that way.

I can help with editing, if you need it. I have some knowledge in Adobe AfterFX, Premiere and video encoding in general. Well, at the very least, I think that should be a nice way to accumulate experience. Sadly enough, don't have a recorder yet.

Posting to let people know this is still a project within interest. I know the game came out and we all got crazy hype over it's release, so getting started ASAP was out of the question, LOL!

I can help with editing, if you need it. I have some knowledge in Adobe AfterFX, Premiere and video encoding in general. Well, at the very least, I think that should be a nice way to accumulate experience. Sadly enough, don't have a recorder yet.

This is good, we may not need it but the stability of technology... you never know.

Now that a little time has passed since then, I am ready to begin recording/editing whenever you guys are. I will need you guys to submit a short explanation on how we will introduce Jin as a character in the tutorial (Summarized Style/Strengths/Weaknesses/Summary of Changes from CS2-EX/etc). Submit something of your own and have everyone here look it over to approve it or make changes.

I want to do this first so it can be used as a "Table of Contents" when I'm recording/editing and where I can place them when things are coming along.

I think we should do separate videos for different tutorials. One for the basic Jin mechanics and how to use his normals, specials, and supers. Another for all of the combos. Then one more for his pressure, mix-up, oki, and gimmicks.

Three videos in total, otherwise we'll make one huge mess.

I think we should do separate videos for different tutorials.

Lol, is there any other way of creating tutorial videos except for dividing it into chapters? Still, the tutorial can be created as a whole single hour-or-so long video and chapters are uploaded to youtube separately.

Also, judging by good character tutorials, an approximate plan should be like this:

- Character summary, drive ability, pros/cons, showing a bit of gameplay . Some combos at the background, lol.

- Normals/specials/supers.

- Mix-up and oki (pretty useful after learning the basics).

- Basic combos from practical starters.

- Reset routes and gimmicks.

- General strategy and helpful gameplay mechanics. May be switched with the part above, probably.

- Less practical/situational combos and situational use of RC.

I think we should do separate videos for different tutorials. One for the basic Jin mechanics and how to use his normals, specials, and supers. Another for all of the combos. Then one more for his pressure, mix-up, oki, and gimmicks.

Three videos in total, otherwise we'll make one huge mess.

There will be separate videos, pretty much each of them will be considered "Chapters" and I'll put them on a separate playlist so they are put together and will play in succession of each other.

Lol, is there any other way of creating tutorial videos except for dividing it into chapters? Still, the tutorial can be created as a whole single hour-or-so long video and chapters are uploaded to youtube separately.

Also, judging by good character tutorials, an approximate plan should be like this:

- Character summary, drive ability, pros/cons, showing a bit of gameplay . Some combos at the background, lol.

- Normals/specials/supers.

- Mix-up and oki (pretty useful after learning the basics).

- Basic combos from practical starters.

- Reset routes and gimmicks.

- General strategy and helpful gameplay mechanics. May be switched with the part above, probably.

- Less practical/situational combos and situational use of RC.

Sounds like solid chapters, I can fill in the blanks for the chapters myself if no one else is going to do it but since I'm Uploading/Recording/Editing it would be fair if someone else got their shine for it since I'll be primarily focused on one entire aspect of the tutorial.

I believe the first thing to do here is to write the entire script. For each chapter. Note that it's necessary to divide the text into parts that are going to be displayed with each video "iteration", describe the videocontent to record and approximate way for the editor to layout stuff. The video is recorded afterwards. And, lastly, the tutorial itself is compiled/rendered/verified/uploaded.

OKAY guys, I've got a whole 10 days of absolutely nothing to do, I'm ready to roll on this tutorial video!

After looking at a few character Tutorials from various fighting games over the past 3 weeks, We should have at least 2 separate videos.

Video One:

- Character summary, drive ability, pros/cons.

- General strategy and helpful game-play mechanics.

- Normals/specials/distortions/Astral (including their Pro-ration rates and vital information a well)

Video Two:

- Basic/practical combos (Include their damage and heat gain)

• Mid-screen Meter less Standing (3-5 combos)
  • Mid-screen Meter less Crouching (3-5 combos)
  • Mid-Screen 25 Meter (3-5 combos)
  • Mid-screen 50 Meter (3-5 combos)
  • Near/In corner Meter less, Standing (3-5 combos)
  • Near/In corner Meter less, Crouching (3-5 combos)
  • Near In corner 50 Meter (3-5 combos)
  • Fatal Counter (3-5 combos)
  • Character Specifics (Tager combos/Makoto's janked hitbox/etc...)

- Reset routes and gimmicks (Only the basics of resets/gimmicks, let's not overload the new guys with too much)
    - Summary of Offensive Strategy

• Pressure
    • Option Selects
    • Neutral
    • Mix-ups and Okizemi

The reason why Video Two has so much content on paper is because Video Two will primarily be filled with combos and give brief discussions on the other subjects after the combo display (fairly quick stuff to cover). Video One is sort via listing because you have to show a LOT of information about Jin's normals/supers/distortions and have the information up long enough so the viewers can read it w/o having to pause it every 5 seconds.

Creating the tutorial this way avoids our video from being 4-5 different videos on YouTube. The chapters can be broken up into annotation links on the YouTube video so if someone wanted to look at a specific part of the tutorial, they can just click the annotations at the beginning of the video and hop straight to that portion.

I would love to have you guys post the viable information here so I can rip it out from this thread and apply it to the Tutorial. I can look up the Normals/Supers/Distortions/Astral (w/Pro-ration rates) on the wiki. I just would like to have the rest of the collective information gathered in a single post here (once everyone has agreed if the information is viable to the tutorial) so it's much easier for me to put this together and work my magic for you guys.

Let's get it done!

Video One is sort via listing because you have to show a LOT of information about Jin's normals/supers/distortions and have the information up long enough so the viewers can read it w/o having to pause it every 5 seconds.

I'd advise to put small videos (sometimes maybe blurred or zoomed) that last 5-10 seconds and relate to 1-2 sentences of information. Text should be at the same time with video, of course. I believe that would make it much more interesting to watch compared to walls of information.

Oh, I'm not gonna hit the tutorial with a wall of text, LOL. When I say a "LOT" of information, I mean that as in Jin has a LOT of normals/super moves. The animation of the moves and a short description (a few words and pro-ration info) of the normal/distortion will be on screen. But yeah, this format was put together to avoid a wall of text during the video and having each video under 10-12 minutes at the max.

I can't say I agree with the "Summary of Defensive Strategy".

Blocking is an universal ability within BB (and FGs in general). Leave the universal beginner mode stuff to Xie and his beginner mode tutorials, I'm pretty sure he already covered that. We want this tutorial to center around Jin, the universal beginner mode stuff has already been covered.

Remember that "defense" goes well beyond blocking and getting your opponent off of you via CAs. Including a CA section would be acceptable since that one is slightly bit more unique to Jin. When thinking of defense, think jabs/5B against shoddy pressure, anti-airs, low profile moves, DPs, and other reversals.

As for the "Summary of Offensive Strategy", you might want to include a mix-up section that also covers resets (part of Jin's mix-up), fuzzy guard setups, and 214A oki/mix-up.

You're right. I was trying to get a filler for Defensive options for Jin since a strong defense makes a strong offense. But Jin's gameplay of spacing can be seen in a way of playing defensively so it's not necessary. the whole "Summary of Defensive Strategy" can be deleted because I thought someone would come up with a few simple ideas of Jin's defensive options but since they're basic to the game it's not necessary.

About mix-up/oki: I had as a mention to introduce into video one but after looking at the format, it wouldn't make sense to discuss Oki/mix-up before getting into the combos, LOL! So I'll change my Table of Contents post to make things easier.

If this is directed to beginners, there are going to be way too many combos. When I started with CT I loved that there were beginner, intermediate and advanced combos. Having a section for each part of the screen plus the usage of heat are too much information given at the same time. It's best to give new players the idea how the character works and then as a closure show them some fancy, practical combo. This way you won't scare them off to learn Jin but rather make them, 'I needa learn that'. No beginner is going to sit through 20 - 30 variants to combo.

If this is just a Jin tutorial, go on and shoot me while you're doing so.

The Tutorial isn't only for beginners, it's for those who have been playing for awhile as well. I'm not gonna lie, having 5 combos for each situation does sound overwhelming but I've been looking at some tutorials and these are good examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toj52z_a0U0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drC3H0QSkZc

Now I see why there's a section for 50 heat usage. But since it's Jin, it would be better to have

25 heat (e.g. 5D > 214D)

50 heat (6A > RC)

75 heat (623D > RC)

100 heat (Yukikaze > RC)

That and Jin doesn't really gain much doing rapid stuff minus 6A combos if we take Ragna for comparison.