Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuminAbyss

[CSE] Noel vs. Ragna

IMO 2A is your poke of choice in this matchup (well then again I think 2A is Noel's poke of choice in most matchups)

I've been playing my local Ragna player since CT so we know a lot about each other but I think generally you want Ragna to approach you rather than the other way around.

Don't get caught by some Deadspike bullshit blockstring in the corner. Well timed 2D beats it, but my favorite thing to do is wait for the start up of another one and TK air super with my back against the wall.

Instant block is your friend, but like most characters I think Noel generally relies on conditioning your opponent to do certain things. Jumping in on Ragna is a losing battle, until you start empty jumping with j.D.

That's probably my biggest gripe about Noel, but I digress.

Ragna.... It's just an annoying process to fight him because of his huge and fast hitboxes. 5B works good, but it's just so hard to time it correctly to counter a Ragna 5B... 2D'ing against Dead Spike is good, especially if you can see it coming during a blockstring. I just wish 4D worked more against Ragna's air approaches, but all of his hitboxes are either too big or allow him to counter 4D when he lands... It's just a very frustrating match up X__X.

Besides all of the match up knowledge you need, I think the next big thing is patience... It's not easy being pressured by Ragna, but staying calm and watching what they do is key. Another thing to note is that Ragnas like using Gauntlet Hades if you're being pushed too far during their blockstrings.

Keep in mind though that if Ragna spaces his deadspike well enough, it will hit 2D out of the air. Which in the corner is a VERY bad thing. Another option for beating deadspike is to jump over it and jump in with j.C. If you timed the j.C right it will punish Deadspike before Ragna recovers, and j.C into a standard 6A combo will do about 3k or so meterless, and will put Ragna into the corner(Assuming he had you in the corner when he used Deadspike).

Keep in mind though that if Ragna spaces his deadspike well enough, it will hit 2D out of the air. Which in the corner is a VERY bad thing. Another option for beating deadspike is to jump over it and jump in with j.C. If you timed the j.C right it will punish Deadspike before Ragna recovers, and j.C into a standard 6A combo will do about 3k or so meterless, and will put Ragna into the corner(Assuming he had you in the corner when he used Deadspike).

Oh, can you jump before Deadspike comes out in a blockstring? I'll have to try that sometime then ^^;. Jumping out is a lot safer than 2D'ing it... And it seems like it got harder to 2D in EX as well X__X. I'll have to try it out sometime, thanks for letting me know ^__^.

You should be able to tell whether or not your 2D is gonna clear Deadspike.

It's a spacing thing. If it's up close, 2D will hop and hit Ragna before Deadspike goes active. That's if it's timed correctly. If it's not, it'll trade.

But if the Deadspike is spaced well, none of your drives will beat it.

It's a spacing thing. If it's up close, 2D will hop and hit Ragna before Deadspike goes active. That's if it's timed correctly. If it's not, it'll trade.

But if the Deadspike is spaced well, none of your drives will beat it.

The only time that I've found where you 2D deadspike from far away is if you IB before hand and call out the DS as opposed to reacting to it. Gauntlet Hades on the other hand almost always has to be called out, you'll almost never be able to react to it fast enough, unless you're expecting it and you're ready to hit 4D. At least, that's what it's been like in my experience.

Also, I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but I don't think that 6D is completely useless in this matchup. Granted nearly everyone of Ragna's normals will beat it clean and it doesn't net you great damage or anything, but I have found a couple of uses for it, albeit ballsy ones that I don't recommend you rely on.

In the corner, or midscreen occasionally, a Ragna will lay down some DS pressure. You can't always 2D over it, especially if they cancel the first hit of 5D into DS, so occasionally you are forced to block it. Generally you would try and instant block and then dash up for pressure or something. However, if you regular block it then the Ragna will most likely dash up for pressure and most likely will use either 5C or 5B since they are both fast and long range pokes. If the Ragna 5B's then you can 6D underneath it because of it's low profile properties, but if they 5C then you're screwed. Like I said, it's ballsy but I found it to be rather useful sometimes. Especially if you hit it often enough that the Ragna starts going for low hits because they're afraid of getting low profiled, then you can use this to your advantage and 2D over the low hits or just jump out of the pressure.

Slightly less practical is using 6D to go underneath Ragna's 6D. It's possible and I've done it a few times, but it's not a very safe option if you mess up the timing on 6D. Even less practical is using 6D to low profile under GH, 4D is a better answer in every way, but if you feel like being swag then you can 6D under GH. If you really want to mess with your opponent then you can do 6D on wakeup and try to low profile whatever they're mashing out. Really though, this is only for just messing around. It's incredibly high risk for relatively little reward.

Anyways, 6D... not completely useless against Ragna, just not always (or ever) the best option.

If the Ragna is far enough away and you normal block Dead Spike, it's safe to throw out a 5A, because if they run in to apply more pressure, that's gonna take enough time to where they give up their frame advantage just to get close enough to you. In this case, our 5A is faster than Ragna's 5B or 5C and will beat it out.

This is situational though, since I can't guarantee it will work if they don't dash in first, but it's a whole hell of a lot safer than hitting 6D after blocking deadspike.

Be careful against Ragna simply spacing his normals after a mid-ranged blocked Deadspike. That'll beat your normals clean.

Basically, watch your opponents habits with Deadspike, what he does after, etc, and make your decisions accordingly.

Well, like I said, 6D sure ain't the safest option but if you always 5A after Deadspike then you become very predictable. 6D is just a once every so often option to mix it up and keep your opponent guessing. It is by no means the go-to move post deadspike.

I was saying it's a much safer option. You never wanna do the exact same thing in defensive situations every single time lol