Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chiizu

[CSE] Noel vs. Rachel

0tw4x.png

Matchup Ranking: To be discussed

Recommended Playstyle: To be discussed

General Strategy: To be discussed

Your Best Tools: To be discussed

Has a DP?: No. And 2C does an even lousier job at acting like one in CSX than it did in CS2

Has a DP with Heat?:: No

Things to look out for: To be discussed

So what's the best way to handle this matchup.?

I found that if I play too offensively I'll get smacked in the face by various wind shenanigans. But if I play too defensively I'll get locked down in the corner.

I always try and score a knockdown with Optic Barrel when at range(much like Lambda in that regard) when Rachel throws a long range Lobelia. Since that also nullifies the hitbox on any Lobelias it seems pretty effective. However, wind can make that Lobelia hit Noel before OB connects. So use it wisely. Don't get caught in obvious Cat-Chair reversals after rushing in if you score a knockdown. I think it can be thrown out on reaction to Noel's 6B as well.

Rachel's mixup/pressure isn't terribly hard to deal with(at least in my opinion). There is just a lot of it. And it gets worse in the corner. Her 2A seems like her best poke(this may have changed) and it is also a low. Definitely keep an eye out for that. 4B(the overhead) is slow enough to react to(it will usually be covered by George to make it safer). Her AA is really good again so keep that in mind. Tempest Dahlia is great for mixup since Rachel can hide behind the Giant Pumpkin sprite.

It is pretty hard to not get trapped in a force-block scenario eventually in this match. George/Pumpkin/Lobelias all provide pretty easy access for Rachel to approach. Best to avoid them as much as possible and prepare for the inevitable. Hopefully, by then, you can have enough heat stored for emergency use. George is a good source of free heat but don't be greedy. Mashing IB on that can get you hit by Rachel zooming in on her wind train.~

I guess I have more pointers than actual advice. I am also probably forgetting stuff.~

You can counter her 2C with a simple throw, am I right?

Yes sir, however remember that it leaves her crouching, so we cannot Muzzle Filter it.

You can't Muzzle Flitter, but if you Muzzle Flitter to catch it, you recover first on the other side and she's crouching. 5C>2C>3C Combo.

As a current Rachel main, there are a few things I'd like to point out.

First of all, 2A definitely is Rachel's best poke. However, it loses to Noel's own 2A, which arguably has better range and comes out just as fast, if not faster (Rachel's 2A is 7 frames). Rachel using 2A can be fairly risky though, as 2D goes over it. Most of the time, any relatively clever Rachel player will use 5B over 2A, keep this in mind.

Second, do NOT let her summon pumpkin. This shit is omnipotent as long as she has wind. if she does at an unsafe range, punish her with OB. If Rachel is on the other side of the screen, and super jump height, there's nothing much you can do about it though. Pumpkin is definitely more dangerous than frog if used right, keep an eye out for that.

If you're not scared of Rachel's mixup, she's doing it wrong. Just because Noel can not be instant overheaded doesn't mean you shouldn't be wary about getting knocked down with a frog in the corner. Noel has more tools than other chars to deal with Rachel's mixup, true enough, so consider yourselves lucky.

6A is a godlike anti-air, but Noel has some pretty retarded shit to nullify that shit. For instance, Noel's j.C may or may not clash with it and whatnot, but in general, try not to jump too much in this matchup, let alone IAD, you'll get CH'd for sure, into a full corner carry combo with knockdown if Rachel's feeling like it.

As for what you can do, Rachel can not get out of stagger pressure without taking enormous amounts of risk. 2C is not completely reliable as the guard point comes out later, making it more of a gimmick than anything, and its lol50P1 makes the reward absolutely negligible. What used to yield 5k with 1 wind stock and 50 heat now does something like 2.6k, which is absolutely worthless. Bottom line is, rush the shit out of her, you got better normals.

Just as a side: 2.6k off of a reversal is NOT completely worthless, get that shit when you can man.

Also a note on the anti-air: While it's true j.C can do some silly shit to Rachel's 6A, keep in mind that Rachel can pretty much hit Noel out of the air with any of her moves. The main thing you need to look out for when Noel is in the air is a random j.4D, which when used as an anti-anti-air is pretty effective, however is hilariously bad as a move itself, since it can be hit in the air, and after landing... by almost anything... BUT if you whiff a 6A, a j.4D can wreck your life to be sure.

Yeah, j.4D ruined my life once or twice, I'll have to admit it.

About 2C though, it hardly qualifies as a reversal in CSX. Not only is it a guard point, which means you can pretty much gatling your normal into a throw and get a purple throw TRM, but its 5 frame activation window is just butt. It still has its uses though, such as stuffing an overhead and turn the momentum around, but it's just not a viable option on wakeup so if you get a knockdown, you can pretty much go apeshit on Rachel and still be safe. When used to stuff stagger pressure, it's pretty 50/50 so yeah, not worth the risk depending on the situation. You'll see CAs much more often than 2C, that's for sure.

i dunno as much as people call me dumb for using it a late j.d will kill that 6a, and if you're good you can muzzle flitter right after the j.d counter, if it doesnt counter then you get a free mix up and a hope that rach will try to umm i dunno what the command is but the electric chair. and assault through it, sure it wont hit sure you may have frame disadvantage, but fsck it you aint gettin hit

Rachel players won't resort to chair as much anymore because the risk reward isn't worth it at all. If they need to, they will block all day and IB for the meter needed to CA as well as refilling her wind meter if she's overextended herself. Playing against Rachel really feels like a turn-based battle in a way, since she can lock you down or keep you out well with wind and/or heat, but then has that opening when she doesn't have the wind needed to do big combos or pressure.

Also, I find it better to play around with the Rachel's 6A reactions to see when she wants to use it rather than using risky options to try and beat it out. Noel doesn't have a very good air-to-ground game as it is, and Rachel's 6A has been buffed, so better to be safe. Eating that CH 6A gives her way too much time to confirm it into a 3-4k combo, and most of the time with wind, screen position, and a pumpkin or frog to worry about for oki.