Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gli

[CSE] Rachel vs. Hazama

yea this matchup is definitely balls. if you hug the corner @ fullscreen you can summon safely unless he uses both his stocks from that range (4dd j.6d is REALLY fucking fast - so fast, in fact, it makes my heart jump - and it travels fullscreen).

l really, absolutely think to understand this MU you MUST understand his movement patterns and their specific uses. l know theres one where if you keep jumping predictably, he can 5dd airthrow - again, it's super fast and very hard to react to. if anyone know any more moves please post up.

lastly, pay attention to his stock guage!!! look at it very often like youre looking at wind. if he has stocks approaching is difficult. however, if you see 0, go balls to the wall. take this time to outright get in his face, or set up your zoning. if you get in, do NOT let up. last thing you want is a counter combo as he'll either gain 50 heat doing it, or it will hurt (jayakou) and he'll STILL gain 50 heat.

Shouldn't we post here what was mentioned in the Rachel sanctuary about how his hat stock recharges... I'm sure something was mentioned like a month back in the thread. Like if you block and Hazama hits you with chain, he gains +1 hat stock or something? (I honestly can't remember well but I'm sure it'll be worth noting here than having to traul through pages of posts to find it I guess)

EDIT: Just found it on Page 79 http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?13433-The-Rachel-Sanctuary-(Free-for-all-some-posts-NSFW)-8-0!/page79

yes... yes, l suppose that does fit here. i'm surprised you remembered and looked for it lol

Pressuring Hazama is something I think we can focus on. For one thing, IOH j.A isn't gapless. Stagger A strings are really strong. Even if you are not getting him to guard incorrectly, you are still pushing Hazama into the corner with staggers.

I really really hate this match-up, like sooo many other match-ups rachel has to out think hazama with very very little to work with. I will say try move around to avoid chains more then punishing them from afar. Lobelia's help but try and keep them in an area that will help you slow him down, meaning in between you and him rather then closer to his location.

@TD: I thought it was quite useful info tbh when it was mentioned back in the thread at the time, so I was wondering why nobody else recorded it on here, at least it's on here now :)

Hazama is a pain still xD

If your fullscreen, lobelia a, and jump B should be your first go to for trying to establish zoning at the very least you can throw lobelia a and it clash with him if he chains while grounded toward you

This is my favorite matchup honestly. Mainly because I'm so used to it.

The parabola from Rachel's lobelias really messes him up. If you block chains it is always a good bet to 6A. Most of the time you will get him.

After Ouroboros Haz is wide open for a TD if you need a final attack.

This isn't Hazama specific per se but what is the ideal decision when dealing with late techers / roll-tech?

Simple enough. I guess the next step is confirming punished tech. Tricky part is having a heavily prorated blue beat combo after that.

all you have to do is react to the delay tech with 2a/3c. delay tech = 90% of the time a roll. hit them out of it. if they neutral tech george will take care of the rest and you'll be safe.

honestly, a late-tech against rachel has a lot of strengths but hidden weaknesses. the longer they stay on the ground, the longer rachel gains wind back. also, if they continually late-tech, you have extra time to set up lobelias and pumpkin. for example, if you do the typical 3c george ender, and you have a suspicion they're gonna late-tech or roll, there are several options that put rachel in a strong position to reset oki, it's just a slightly different oki. if you think they'll roll forward, 2a 5b -> aircombo punishes. if you think they'll late-tech or roll backward, you can throw b-lobelia or summon pumpkin or do a dash-2a and those will all put you in a good place.

when i think ppl are going to roll away and they are not close enough to roll behind me (say from a max-range 3c george), i throw b or c-lobelia every time. this puts me in a position to pretty much regain my full wind gauge bc they are far away and from neutral you can reset oki with lobelia and sword iris pressure

punishing a roll/late tech doesn't necessarily have to mean immediate damage. it's more like, the time it took them to roll or late tech allowed you to extend your control of the battlefield.

for this matchup specifically, rods are a bitch for hazama to deal with, so the more you can place the better

pumpkin would probably be the preferred option against those type of rolls since it's more versatile and you can place more lobelias on the screen with more security while it's out. b lobelia is an interesting choice. i'll have to see if it has any extra benefits than those obvious/listed.

regarding the MU:

the big problem l have in the MU is haz's approach patterns. he/his chains move so fast.

(very) common times l get stuffed/hit/punished:

-mostly every backdash

-any special on the ground besides 236a(unreliable)

-standing around (letting him approach; he has so many ways of cracking my defense, l'll post ways next post)

etc.

l feel like l can only superjump and summon. besides that l have absolutely no idea what to do vs him. do you guys have a gameplan? if not, we should all work on this MU together.

b-lobelia can be strong oki because it allows you to regain a bunch of wind

most of the time i feel like a bunny in this matchup because i just hop around. i don't super jump unless i'm gonna summon pumpkin. anything from 1/2 to 3/4 screen is a danger zone for rachel and the ground is hot lava.

getting hit on the ground with a chain (blocked or not) is a mistake. however, if you do block one, try using 5d as he flies in and screw with his movement for some lolz and mess up his momentum. backdashing isn't really that useful. even if you're at full screen, airdashing backward is still a good idea, allowing a safer summon (typically air a-lobelia), especially because hazamas like to burn both of their movement stocks by doing 6d into another chain to pull themselves right into you from full screen, and if you're in the air, you avoid this setup and get some free wind regen time while they wait for movement stocks to come back.

so once you're hop hop hoppin around and haz throws out a bad 5d, you can 3d and double jump j.b and --boom-- you're in his face. staying in the air is your main gameplan vs an attacking haz.

when he starts doing the airdash backward mashing just run at him, haz's airdashes aren't very good.

think of it like lambda, you have a limited number of chances to use wind and get close per round, and missing an opportunity will usually land you with little wind and have to block for a while til you can regain your wind back. burning a wind stock (super jump 7/9d) to fly across the screen and throw some lobelias can also be useful.