Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dusty

[CSE] Hazama vs. Valkenhayn

This matchup seems about the same as CS2, so I just regard to the CS2 matchup vs Valk thread.

One thing I want to know is what are some good ways to zone Valkenhayn while he's in wolf form? For me, it feels like he's able to punish almost any chains you throw out (though I was never that good at zoning).

You control where he would want to go and make it hard for wolf to fly. You're not necessarily looking to hit him, you're looking to try and make him burn wolf meter trying to catch you, and putting chains in his way.

Hate to revive a dead thread, but similar to the Ragna and Haku matchup, this one is played very simliarly to its CS2 counterpart (as stated above). However, due to magical S tier buffs, Valk gets a lot more reward off your mistakes now.

<1> First of all, as everyone mentioned. Fear w[5B], fear it. That will rip through your shit should you be stupid enough to try jumping up and firing a chain when he's on the ground, or when you're throwing around random 214D~A's.

<2> Second, is obviously his j.5C. Your best bet is 214D~B, assuming you have both the time needed to boot it up, and the Valk doesn't know the matchup well. I simply don't understand how 2C can trade "in your favor :psyduck:," and 5A will get beat out period.

<3> Another tool worth noting is his 4C/7C command dashes. These have dumb invincibilty frames on them that he doesn't really need, because if you're in the process of anti-airing him, he can potentially "fix" his jump-in and make your anti-air whiff. He can do this up to 4 times in a single jump-in, and unless you have an anti-air that can cancel into itself four times on whiff, then you can ignore this part. Although I hightly doubt that.

EDIT: Turns out 4D will actually have more luck in this area than 6D at times, depending on how he's spacing you.

<4> If he's going for a neutral beast cannon halfway across the screen, 2C will actually work. If he's opting for a neutral wolf mixup, e.g. blocked Nacht Jager/aerial Beast Cannon, 5A>5C/2A>5C is your favorite string. What happens is that if he tries to outpoke you, you should be able to beat him out. If he wolf cancels>4D, your poke may possibly whiff during his 7D/C, depending on the situation. However much like our B chain followup, he has ricochet towards you while your "whiffing" your anti-air. This is where 5C comes into play. It's speed, active frames, and hitbox should land you a nice 4D>air rave followup. Of course, you could always jump away and spam j.5A, but w[5B] will always be there to bite your ass. Literally.

<5> Play the anti-air game well. You whiff a Rising Fang here, you will eat at least 3k, so plan your options well...

...and assuming you botched <5> ...:vbang::

<6> ...After teching from an air combo, assuming you're not dead yet, block high. Falling j.5C is what makes his one-hit corner resets famous. He doesn't even have to be remotely close to the ground to folllowup into another 5k+. The second you block j.5C (or not) and hit the ground though block low(or squeeze in a quick 5B if possible). His 3C comes out deceptively fast, and he easily outspaces you in the corner. Besides, his 6C is much easier the react to once you've gotten the hang of it, although beware of well-spaced 5C>6C frametraps, that rapes Hazama just as well as spaced Dead Spike>Jesus Kick traps do. 5C is air unblockable, and 6C is an anti-low thats +2 on block. Buffer a short dash during blockstun if needed after blocking his 5C, his 6C is both slow and airborne, so your own 5C is your best bet here. Again.

<7> Mashing j.5A is surprisingly effective as long as he isn't in wolf nor plans to go into wolf (darn dem w[5B]s :arg:). If his patience wears thin and gives up his human pressure for wolf pressure, use his "henshin" time to make a quick getaway. Run, run!:kitty:

EDIT: I take back what I said about 2C being utterly useless. If your timing is godlike, and you have a hunch they're gonna bait you with 7C, 2C should be a lot less punishable on whiff compared to Rising Fang. It won't get you blown up as badly as a whiffed Rising Fang, but it will give them momentum.